What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Affair. Just Like Westworld, without robots. Or cowboys. Or an audience. UPDATE: Dear God who knows, if you watch it fill us in (1 Viewer)

Showtime at it again.

Pick up a show for season 2 and just leave us wondering what the #### is going on in the finale.

I didn't watch Season 2 of Homeland because of this and I'm done with this crap now too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking as someone who has never had a gun pulled on him, it seems like you'd vividly remember the circumstances of having a gun pulled on you.

Examining how and why marriages fall apart and how affairs start is a good vein to plumb imo, and this show did that well. But the gimmicky, implausible split-view thing and the dead brother murder mystery...meh. This would've been a good anthology show with a new cast every time, i'd be much more interest in that than The People of New York vs. McNutty and Simpsons Character Mouth.

Teacher chick might have been the best.

I have half paid attention to most episodes but the two points of view thing really turned into totally different occurrences last night.

Teacher chick might have been the best.

I have half paid attention to most episodes but the two points of view thing really turned into totally different occurrences last night.
That's what I'm having trouble with. I get that people have slightly different viewpoints, or that it might be in their best interest even, to recall things differently. But, the two versions are, in some cases, not even close. What's the point in that? Does one of them just have a terrible memory of what happened, or is there a reason why they're miles apart? I'm guessing the latter, as in maybe Allison is trying to spin her husband as a crazy person. But, it's not exactly clear why there are so many discrepancies between the two accounts, some of which seem far more significant than just a difference in point of view.

Still way better than Homeland, at this point. But, both finales left me somewhat scratching my head last night, for completely different reasons.

Sepinwall asked the creator about the discrepancies in the gun scene. She basically said Noah's memory of beating Scotty and being pulled off him at gunpoint is probably accurate, but that people emotionally remember their lives and to Allison the importance of the day was that it was the start of her relationship with Noah. That at gunpoint, she chose Noah and he chose her over his family. Scotty and his mother even being there were incidental to the plot of her life.

I read that. Big fan of the show but her explanation seemed like a load of crap that she came up with in between deep dickings on her honeymoon when she realized the biggest TV writer on the internet was asking about the central premise of her show and she had nothing else to say.

The updated title and these last series of posts have convinced me to delete the last two episodes that I haven't gotten around to watching.

Speaking as someone who has never had a gun pulled on him, it seems like you'd vividly remember the circumstances of having a gun pulled on you.

Examining how and why marriages fall apart and how affairs start is a good vein to plumb imo, and this show did that well. But the gimmicky, implausible split-view thing and the dead brother murder mystery...meh. This would've been a good anthology show with a new cast every time, i'd be much more interest in that than The People of New York vs. McNutty and Simpsons Character Mouth.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

1. My wife watched the latest episode before I did. She told me "I don't know if I want you to watch the beginning. Noah is really enjoying his new life as a single man. I don't want you getting any ideas." I told her "I'm pretty sure I've got an idea of how newly single guys enjoy their freedom."

2. Being in that "rubber room" looks like a pretty sweet gig. Too bad we don't have that around here.

:goodposting:

I understand the dislike for the big divergence in the two persepctives, but I think there are a couple of plausible explanations. For one, it's possible that they aren't meant to be faithful recollections, but instead we're seeing the version of events that the characters are relaying to the detective or something. And they have their own reasons for portraying the events differently (some of which we still don't know).

For another, assuming they are "remembering" these events years later, I think it's actually pretty true that memory is a really flawed thing. I may not be the best example because I don't think I have a particularly good memory, and I've never had a gun pulled on me, but I've had some really big events in my lifetime, and I was thinking of some of them this morning. If you asked me to recount, in detail, what happened - what room I was in, who else was there, what was said, etc. - I would definitely get a lot of it wrong. I'm thinking of one big thing that happened about 7 years ago, and I honestly can't remember if my dad was there or not. I think he was but it would not surprise me at all if he wasn't. So it's really not implausible to me at all that two people who experienced the same thing and tried to recreate the scene would almost certainly come up with a much different version of events. They'd probably agree on very few, major details (e.g. Cole pulled a gun) but it really doesn't surprise me that other than that, two people might have very different recollections of why he pulled it, where he was when he pulled it, etc.

I'm also willing to suspend a little disbelief for a show I'm enjoying, and I really like this show. So it's not perfect. Whatever. :shrug:

I don't think it has to be perfect, but when the main structural point of the show goes from things like "from his perspective, she came on to him...and from her perspective, he was the one making moves" and differences in how she thinks of herself (more homely) versus how he sees her (sexier) to what we saw in the finale...pulling a gun as a result of a fight, versus turning into a suicide attempt...it is really distracting and pulls away from the overall plot.

Is the overall opinion here to not bother with the show? I had heard good things, but the I don't want to get invested if it ends up as big disappointment ala The Killing.

Caught the first episode and that's it. Really, if someone would just index all the sex scenes with Lippy Duckerson, I could dispense with having to sit through the rest of the season.

Is the overall opinion here to not bother with the show? I had heard good things, but the I don't want to get invested if it ends up as big disappointment ala The Killing.
It was fine. Sort of interesting, but I wouldn't call it "good". If there's nothing else you want to watch, give it a try.

They also provide zero closure at seasons end. Might be more enjoyable to wait for season 2 so you can figure out wtf is going on and watch both seasons at once.

It's a well written and well acted show, but I've been pretty bored throughout a lot of it. I'm not going to say that it needs more explosions or car chases, but it definitely needs something.

Are all the episodes split POV like the first one? That's going to drive me out.

The women in the show aren't even anything great. But I guess they got aging wifey you wanna cheat on and younger southern ##### right. Hate the Simpsons, but love the reference above. How many times will we see the kids "interrupt" the married couple? Force it down our throats why don't you. Lock a door maybe. McNulty shoulda banged at the pool and called it a day. Pacey tears it up as usual.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoyed this show. Surprised it is not getting more praise. I thought it was well made and acting is all good too. The last episode was kind of weird because it was so different. I can understand how some would be bored with it, because it is basically a character study for the first 8 episodes. Now the last episode or so turned it a bit soapy. Should be interesting to see what direction they take with season 2.

cant take credit for this, but someone at work came up with an interesting theory:

His 'version' of everything is from his book.

Explains why his side is a more graphic, exciting, and kinda unbelievable, like when a dumpy aging broke dude can pick up a smoking hot, newly engaged piece of ### with just a hello.

Also, in a lot of his scenes, Abby is made up a little hotter—hair pulled back and thin strapped dresses—while in her scenes she is a lot more conservatively dressed.

cant take credit for this, but someone at work came up with an interesting theory:

His 'version' of everything is from his book.

Explains why his side is a more graphic, exciting, and kinda unbelievable, like when a dumpy aging broke dude can pick up a smoking hot, newly engaged piece of ### with just a hello.

Also, in a lot of his scenes, Abby is made up a little hotter—hair pulled back and thin strapped dresses—while in her scenes she is a lot more conservatively dressed.
Not bad.

Omg

Finding Allison to be a much more compelling and likable character than Noah.
Allison's segments this season have been pretty intense. I like all of her scenes with the old man next door. They need to show more nudity of her.

This show is solid but not for everyone. I hope it stays under the radar so the usual clowns don't find this thread.

Flapgreen, I think you mentioned in the californication thread you are back on showtime. Give this show a shot, there is small chance you might like it.

Give me a quick recap.

Should I start watching?

Sexual scenes/drama, other drama?
McNulty goes on summer vacation with his family, starts banging a hot waitress, somebody is killed, somebody is statutory raped, lots of sex scenes, different pov is cool at first then drives most people away from the show, season one finishes in bizarre fashion, season two is off to solid start.

If you are cheating on or planning on cheating on your wife/gf do not watch this show with her around.

I've really liked the Rashomon different character, different version part of this- think it's handled very well. but I don't give a #### about the story... so I pretty much gave up.

Skipped 4 episodes, now watching the latest one, pretty damn good imo but I'm driving my wife nuts asking questions and I'm not allowed to call McNulty McNulty anymore. :angry:

I don't know why I care, but I find it a little annoying that we know that the cheaters are still together with a kid later on. That takes a bit of the drama out of their relationship issues and the "I'm pregnant" revelation.

I don't know why I care, but I find it a little annoying that we know that the cheaters are still together with a kid later on. That takes a bit of the drama out of their relationship issues and the "I'm pregnant" revelation.
Thanks for the ******* spoiler you ####### son a #####.

Users who are viewing this thread