What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (3 Viewers)

I can't believe people are getting rid of unlimited data just to upgrade.
Should folks keep using a 4s forever?I'd wager the majority of people with unlimited deals probably use 2-3 GB of data a month. They could probably be saving money at the same data use by ditching it.

Now if I was a 6 to 8 GB a month data hog and it was critical (ie no wifi around to help) then I guess I would give pause or just Buy an unlocked phone direct
I'm around 5-6 a month. :eek: I'll change carriers if they try and take away my unlimited.
No WIfi at home/work?

I use my phone a LOT... to the point where my GF and coworkers bust my balls about it. "Is that thing surgically attached?" is a common joke. I use about 2GB/mo give or take, but I have wifi at the office and home...
No wifi from 5am-3pm at least everyday, on the road and construction sites. So yea I use a lot of data outside of my house. :bag:

I got right in on AT&T at 2:01 central and it took maybe 4 minutes to finalize it. I got the 128gb 6 plus silver. Email from AT&T 3 hours later said expected ship date 14-21 business days.

I'm optimistic though because 2 years ago when I preordered my 5 the shipping estimate was the same and I received it on the day of release. We'll see... Looking like if I had gotten the 64gb it would have shipped sooner though.
Same with me. Ordered at 2:05 central and have a mid October ship date...

So I'm on an older plan where I only pay $20 a month for unlimited data and it wanted me to switch to $30 plus pay the $40 upgrade fee. The kicker was that you had to pay for the phone then which was complete opposite of what the guy told me earlier. No way do I want a $200 gift card that I can use after I pay for my iphone 6, I want the damn card before. At this point I'm waiting till they come out in store and I'll figure out which route and carrier to go with.

Odd that they would take away the unlimited. When I switched to a note 3 earlier in the year, it carried over

anyone on AT&T realize they made some big changes? Sounds like they are no longer subsidizing these phones if you are on their family share plan.

http://robservatory.com/the-atdont-get-burned/

My options basically look like:

AT&T next

Pay $37/mo over 20 months = $740

keep $25/mo discount for 24 months = -$600

Total cost: $140

Buy 2-year contract

Up front: $299

lose $25/mo discount for 24 months = $600

Total cost: $899

wtf?

makes this A&T next seem great. I can't tell if they really let you keep the $25/mo discount or not though.

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone on AT&T realize they made some big changes? Sounds like they are no longer subsidizing these phones if you are on their family share plan.

AT&T next

Buy 2-year contract

wtf?

makes this A&T next seem great. I can't tell if they really let you keep the $25/mo discount or not though.
Yeah, that was part of the deal all along with those share plans. ATT Next is even worse though.

AT&T next

Buy 2-year contract

wtf?

You're double-counting the discount. If you're getting an iPhone 6 either way, the -$600 you have above doesn't apply. The very link you posted explains it best. You should be roughly indifferent between Next and up-front purchase. Both of which are slightly better than on-contract without Next.

ETA: They're doing this because T-Mobile's off-contract pricing is smokin'. Only way they can compete.

You guys lost me
It's best to think of the $25 discount as gone to begin with. The only way you keep that discount without having to spend up-front money is to keep using your old phone.

So assume the $25/month discount is gone, and then you have three choices when buying your iPhone 6:

1. Buy it outright for $750 and get the $25/month discount back. Total cost after 2 years $100 ($750 minus $600), plus your plan rate.
  2. Buy it on-contract and don't get the $25/month discount back. Total cost after two years $200 (up-front cost of subsidized phone), plus your plan rate.
  3. Buy it on-contract, but sign-up for Next. $200 up-front, get your $25/month discount back, but then pay the monthly next fee of roughly the same amount.
You're basically deciding between paying for your phone monthly over the course of the next two years, or up-front. That's the way it has always been, only ATT counted on you staying on your expensive plan after your contract was up. Then they get the higher monthly rate and they have stopped subsidizing the phone. T-Mobile subverted that whole scheme by offering great off-contract pricing, and now ATT has to adjust to match.

You're double-counting the discount. If you're getting an iPhone 6 either way, the -$600 you have above doesn't apply. The very link you posted explains it best. You should be roughly indifferent between Next and up-front purchase. Both of which are slightly better than on-contract without Next.
ETA: They're doing this because T-Mobile's off-contract pricing is smokin'. Only way they can compete.
that's what I figured was happening, but that link is confusing then because under the NEXT column it shows this for monthly:

Access charge: $40

Family share discount: -$25

Phone financing: $37

Total monthly: $52

Based on that, the family share discount still gets applied. That $37 lasts for 20 months ($740) and you pay $15 for 24 months ($300) to get $1040 over 24 months. I'm not sure where he got $1109 from but it's not a huge difference.

Going with the 2-year contract plan, you'd pay $299 up front and the $40 upgrade fee. Then you still pay $40/month without the discount. So, it's $340 plus $960, which gets you to $1300 total cost.

So, in this scenario he posted, Next saves $200 over the contract plan. But, I guess you're still paying $740 for the phone over 2 years, which means it's not subsidized.

Neither option looks great but Next certainly looks a lot better than the stupid contract.

Either way, guess I'm not upgrading. Not interested in a $700+ phone and like my current setup.

Damn I hate that I ordered within 4 minutes and am still 14-21 days out.

I have seen the gamut in the last week as far as iPhone performance goes. I had my 5c I had been using for about 9 months. It was a really solid performer, better than the 5 I had before it. To get ahead of the 6 release, I sold my 5c early this week on eBay. I also played around for a couple days with a blocked imei 5s that was shipped to me 60 days after I ordered it. It was fast and smooth as an iPod. I shipped my 5c so I began using a 4s of my daughter's since she got a 5s and wasn't using the 4s. It is cracked to hell front and back, but still performs okay, not near what the 5c did, but adequate for what I assumed would be only until next Friday. My girlfriend has a 4 that isn't cracked so I put my sim in it last night still assuming it's only until the 19th. This thing is molasses slow compared to its followers! Damn they improved things even with the 4s!

14-21 business days... #### !

Verizon guy just told me I can only receive $150 trade-in for my AT&T iPhone 5 instead of the full $200. Anybody else hearing this?

that's what I figured was happening, but that link is confusing then because under the NEXT column it shows this for monthly:

Based on that, the family share discount still gets applied. That $37 lasts for 20 months ($740) and you pay $15 for 24 months ($300) to get $1040 over 24 months. I'm not sure where he got $1109 from but it's not a huge difference.

Going with the 2-year contract plan, you'd pay $299 up front and the $40 upgrade fee. Then you still pay $40/month without the discount. So, it's $340 plus $960, which gets you to $1300 total cost.

So, in this scenario he posted, Next saves $200 over the contract plan. But, I guess you're still paying $740 for the phone over 2 years, which means it's not subsidized.

Neither option looks great but Next certainly looks a lot better than the stupid contract.

Either way, guess I'm not upgrading. Not interested in a $700+ phone and like my current setup.
The next plan basically splits what you would pay off contract for a device over 20 months. With the $25 discount monthly, it's a better deal than the subsidized 2 year thing that is $40 a month instead of $15.

Other benefits of the next plan are you don't pay the activation fee ($36) and you can upgrade every 12 months or 18 months depending on what you choose.

Verizon guy just told me I can only receive $150 trade-in for my AT&T iPhone 5 instead of the full $200. Anybody else hearing this?
Was this over the phone or in person? The guy I spoke with yesterday said no problem on my crappy CSpire iPhone 5.

Yeah, if my wife wasn't so obsessed with the latest Apple device, we wouldn't be upgrading either. $900 (6+ 64GB w/tax). Sheesh. Makes my $350 Nexus 5 look like a drop in the bucket.

If only I could convince her to flip to Android. But that's never going to happen.

Yeah, if my wife wasn't so obsessed with the latest Apple device, we wouldn't be upgrading either. $900 (6+ 64GB w/tax). Sheesh. Makes my $350 Nexus 5 look like a drop in the bucket.

If only I could convince her to flip to Android. But that's never going to happen.
It's actually profitable to keep an additional $9.99 phone line only with verizon....pay for it each month and every 2 years use it to get a new phone, immediately disable it back to the 9.99 phone only and sell the new phone, wonder how long i'll be able to keep doing that?

Well guess I'll be waiting until my 2 year contract is up in 3 months since the ATT Next thing is a horrible deal for me since I'm still grandfathered in with unlimited data. Wait time on ATT.com is already 35-42 business days for a 64 MB 6+.

Did all of you with the mid- Oct dates go through the carrier sites? It still says 9/19 for the 6+ 64 for me through apple.

Well guess I'll be waiting until my 2 year contract is up in 3 months since the ATT Next thing is a horrible deal for me since I'm still grandfathered in with unlimited data. Wait time on ATT.com is already 35-42 business days for a 64 MB 6+.
Wow. SO the week before Thanksgiving?

If I were going to wait until the Cowboys are eliminated from the playoffs to get mine, I would probably just wait for the I6 S a few months later.

I got right in on AT&T at 2:01 central and it took maybe 4 minutes to finalize it. I got the 128gb 6 plus silver. Email from AT&T 3 hours later said expected ship date 14-21 business days.

I'm optimistic though because 2 years ago when I preordered my 5 the shipping estimate was the same and I received it on the day of release. We'll see... Looking like if I had gotten the 64gb it would have shipped sooner though.
Same with me. Ordered at 2:05 central and have a mid October ship date...
I finalized my ATT order at about 2:20am and the email said I'd receive it on the 19th. 128GB green iPhone 6

So I did the Harry Wallop thing last night. Went to the workshop and turned out a I6+ mock to get a feel for it.

You better get a case for it (which will add to the already hefty size). Love the idea of the screen size. REALLY want to take that plunge but it is immediately obvious that its a mini Ipad in disguise.

I NEVER drop my phone and I juggled this thing around twice just looking it over. THe issue seems to be it feels right in the hand for hand size but when you actually go to touch it, you no longer move fingers, you move your whole hand (to get up and down the screen).

just put a 6+ in my cart through apple to check and it shows:

Delivers: Oct 13 - Oct 20 by Standard Shipping to 94949

I chatted with a Verizon rep about not being able to preorder and sign up for the $60 2GB plan. He told me to sign up for any plan and then change it once it arrives.

Went to Verizon store right at open. As I pulled up they started pulling up the curtains. I walked up to the door and a flood of 20ish folks got out of their cars and walked up. Quick in and out process. Went with 128GB 6 due to the delays on the 6+. Once I'm back from Florida and New Orleans I'll the call on exchanging for the 6+ or not after some hands-on time.

RE: THE Verizon $200 Credit on the turn in phone... I was told there was a place on the website where I had to fill out a form by Sept 30th to get my $200 gift card, then send in my phone by Oct 15th? Anyone know where that page/link is on the Verizon site?

The next plan basically splits what you would pay off contract for a device over 20 months. With the $25 discount monthly, it's a better deal than the subsidized 2 year thing that is $40 a month instead of $15.

Other benefits of the next plan are you don't pay the activation fee ($36) and you can upgrade every 12 months or 18 months depending on what you choose.
I'll tell you what I find out when I try. I stayed on the regular family share because I knew I wanted to upgrade later this year. That said, the link you posted is wrong for my bill. On my bill there is no mentioned of a discount for family share in any way. It just says Mobile Share for iPhone on 4G LTE: $30 and that is it. I see no discount anywhere like the article posted. I have had the family plan for a long time since work pays for my main line and adding my wife (and later my oldest son) was a lot cheaper. Since work paid for it, I really wasn't worried about saving by moving to Next. Anyway, just wanted to mention that the main point of that article does not appear on my bill. We will find out soon enough. My desire to upgrade will go way, way down if I find out that my best option is paying full retail. I'll wait and get a used one/refurbished, etc.

Just did more research and remembered that Radio Shack is an authorized ATT phone distributor so called them. They do a different type of preorder, basically it's a list they keep in the store and you sign up with a $50 deposit that goes towards the phone. They started taking them at 9 this morning so when I called my name was at the top for a 6+ 64gb phone, I just have to run there after work and make the deposit. The best part is that they recycle phones for the same rate, so I'll get the $200 for my iphone 5 and I'll be able to instantly put it towards the new purchase.

I'll tell you what I find out when I try. I stayed on the regular family share because I knew I wanted to upgrade later this year. That said, the link you posted is wrong for my bill. On my bill there is no mentioned of a discount for family share in any way. It just says Mobile Share for iPhone on 4G LTE: $30 and that is it. I see no discount anywhere like the article posted. I have had the family plan for a long time since work pays for my main line and adding my wife (and later my oldest son) was a lot cheaper. Since work paid for it, I really wasn't worried about saving by moving to Next. Anyway, just wanted to mention that the main point of that article does not appear on my bill. We will find out soon enough. My desire to upgrade will go way, way down if I find out that my best option is paying full retail. I'll wait and get a used one/refurbished, etc.
AT&T lowered their rates earlier this year. The plan I'm on provides 10GB of data that can be split among all family members instead of each member getting their own 2GB or whatever allowance. It saved us about $40/month when we switched to it, and that's with these individual discounts already being applied. If I wanted to upgrade now, it looks like I either have to pay full price for the new phone OR lose the family value plan discount basically.

If you're on the older plan, it seems like you won't have much of an issue.

This family share/next thing is going to be a nightmare for certain people depending on when they signed up.

ATT is going to lose a #### ton of people to VZW if they don't play this right.

This family share/next thing is going to be a nightmare for certain people depending on when they signed up.

ATT is going to lose a #### ton of people to VZW if they don't play this right.
I didn't realize how big of a change they had made. Surprised it hasn't been bigger news before, but I'm sure it will blow up a bit with this new iphone release.

Basically, it seems to take most of their customers off the standard 2-year upgrade cycle. Not many people want to pay full price on these phones I'm assuming.

Users who are viewing this thread