What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (1 Viewer)

This family share/next thing is going to be a nightmare for certain people depending on when they signed up.

ATT is going to lose a #### ton of people to VZW if they don't play this right.
I didn't realize how big of a change they had made. Surprised it hasn't been bigger news before, but I'm sure it will blow up a bit with this new iphone release.

Basically, it seems to take most of their customers off the standard 2-year upgrade cycle. Not many people want to pay full price on these phones I'm assuming.
That's what I was referring to. Currently I have an old unlimited data plan and phone plan that costs $75 a month. I have a Jan 5 2015 anniversary. Fine. Well the early upgrade is with the NEXT program. To make up the difference between paying the $850 for the phone would require me to go down to a $60 plan that has 1GB of data and even then I'm out $89 dollars. Thanks guy, but I'll wait the 3 months since I'm already on a mid Oct delivery date and play the field. Verizon's $60 plan and Sprint's plans look mighty tempting right now.

Went to Verizon store right at open. As I pulled up they started pulling up the curtains. I walked up to the door and a flood of 20ish folks got out of their cars and walked up. Quick in and out process. Went with 128GB 6 due to the delays on the 6+. Once I'm back from Florida and New Orleans I'll the call on exchanging for the 6+ or not after some hands-on time.

RE: THE Verizon $200 Credit on the turn in phone... I was told there was a place on the website where I had to fill out a form by Sept 30th to get my $200 gift card, then send in my phone by Oct 15th? Anyone know where that page/link is on the Verizon site?
I just got back from the store and he said they could do it in store and give you the credit w/o the gift card :shrug:

Went to Verizon store right at open. As I pulled up they started pulling up the curtains. I walked up to the door and a flood of 20ish folks got out of their cars and walked up. Quick in and out process. Went with 128GB 6 due to the delays on the 6+. Once I'm back from Florida and New Orleans I'll the call on exchanging for the 6+ or not after some hands-on time.

RE: THE Verizon $200 Credit on the turn in phone... I was told there was a place on the website where I had to fill out a form by Sept 30th to get my $200 gift card, then send in my phone by Oct 15th? Anyone know where that page/link is on the Verizon site?
I just got back from the store and he said they could do it in store and give you the credit w/o the gift card :shrug:
Ugh... really?

Ugh... really?
i didn't do it (still b/w Verizon and AT&T) but that's what he told me. I specifically asked about the gift card.

Question on Verizon's current plan offerings. Right now I'm with them, and my wife and I are on one account. It's a $50 base charge (I have a 20% discount on that) for unlimited talk/text and 2GM of shared data, and then $40 per line. So it's like $120ish per month.

So now I see they are offering $60 plans per individual line that would each have 2 GB of data. Is that correct? So for the same money my wife and I could each have 2 GM of data rather than the two of us sharing 2 GB of data?

Just did more research and remembered that Radio Shack is an authorized ATT phone distributor so called them. They do a different type of preorder, basically it's a list they keep in the store and you sign up with a $50 deposit that goes towards the phone. They started taking them at 9 this morning so when I called my name was at the top for a 6+ 64gb phone, I just have to run there after work and make the deposit. The best part is that they recycle phones for the same rate, so I'll get the $200 for my iphone 5 and I'll be able to instantly put it towards the new purchase.
Does anything change on your plan?

Question on Verizon's current plan offerings. Right now I'm with them, and my wife and I are on one account. It's a $50 base charge (I have a 20% discount on that) for unlimited talk/text and 2GM of shared data, and then $40 per line. So it's like $120ish per month.

So now I see they are offering $60 plans per individual line that would each have 2 GB of data. Is that correct? So for the same money my wife and I could each have 2 GM of data rather than the two of us sharing 2 GB of data?
Yep!

Just did more research and remembered that Radio Shack is an authorized ATT phone distributor so called them. They do a different type of preorder, basically it's a list they keep in the store and you sign up with a $50 deposit that goes towards the phone. They started taking them at 9 this morning so when I called my name was at the top for a 6+ 64gb phone, I just have to run there after work and make the deposit. The best part is that they recycle phones for the same rate, so I'll get the $200 for my iphone 5 and I'll be able to instantly put it towards the new purchase.
I'm guessing it's gonna go from $20 to $30 for unlimited data. I'm no longer sold that I'm gonna go down there and get the 6+. The 6 is starting to look better and better to me, I'm one of the few people that still holds his phone to his ear to talk because my headphones are usually found in the dryer sometime after the 2nd month of owning them.

I'm guessing it's gonna go from $20 to $30 for unlimited data. I'm no longer sold that I'm gonna go down there and get the 6+. The 6 is starting to look better and better to me, I'm one of the few people that still holds his phone to his ear to talk because my headphones are usually found in the dryer sometime after the 2nd month of owning them.
I'm already at $30 so I'm hoping they won't try to take away my unlimited. You have to visit an ATnT store after the radio shack visit, right? Thanks for the info I'll probably go that route. Same thing here on earphones, I only use them for mowing the lawn or shoveling snow.

Yep!
What's the catch, seriously?

I'm already at $30 so I'm hoping they won't try to take away my unlimited. You have to visit an ATnT store after the radio shack visit, right? Thanks for the info I'll probably go that route. Same thing here on earphones, I only use them for mowing the lawn or shoveling snow.
no, radio shack can do it all for at&t. The 30 unlimited does not get taken away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll tell you what I find out when I try. I stayed on the regular family share because I knew I wanted to upgrade later this year. That said, the link you posted is wrong for my bill. On my bill there is no mentioned of a discount for family share in any way. It just says Mobile Share for iPhone on 4G LTE: $30 and that is it. I see no discount anywhere like the article posted. I have had the family plan for a long time since work pays for my main line and adding my wife (and later my oldest son) was a lot cheaper. Since work paid for it, I really wasn't worried about saving by moving to Next. Anyway, just wanted to mention that the main point of that article does not appear on my bill. We will find out soon enough. My desire to upgrade will go way, way down if I find out that my best option is paying full retail. I'll wait and get a used one/refurbished, etc.
AT&T lowered their rates earlier this year. The plan I'm on provides 10GB of data that can be split among all family members instead of each member getting their own 2GB or whatever allowance. It saved us about $40/month when we switched to it, and that's with these individual discounts already being applied. If I wanted to upgrade now, it looks like I either have to pay full price for the new phone OR lose the family value plan discount basically.

If you're on the older plan, it seems like you won't have much of an issue.
Did you switch to the plan they have ads on TV about (like the Grant Hill one)? I didn't do that because I thought switching to that put you in the Next plan. Maybe they aren't really the same, but I thought switching to that meant you are off of the 2 year upgrade subsidy. That is why I didn't switch since I wanted to upgrade and so did my son as his Christmas gift since we were both eligible.

That said, when I went to the web site to upgrade, it did mention the $25 thing, but again, I don't see it on my bill. If you see it because of the switch you made, then maybe it won't affect me. Again, I can live with my plan since most of it is covered. If I can upgrade for the $200-400 with no change in my bill, I am all in, if it includes a $25 per month up-charge then I will shopping my services outside of AT&T.

Either way, guess I'm not upgrading. Not interested in a $700+ phone and like my current setup.
Yeah, if my wife wasn't so obsessed with the latest Apple device, we wouldn't be upgrading either. $900 (6+ 64GB w/tax). Sheesh. Makes my $350 Nexus 5 look like a drop in the bucket.

If only I could convince her to flip to Android. But that's never going to happen.
It's actually profitable to keep an additional $9.99 phone line only with verizon....pay for it each month and every 2 years use it to get a new phone, immediately disable it back to the 9.99 phone only and sell the new phone, wonder how long i'll be able to keep doing that?
what's this now? I asked about additional lines, and didn't see any of this

I'm actually considering the 6+ simply because my eyes are so bad :bag:
:lol:

When I first started using my Note, I thought the text looked so big. Now I feel like such an old man when I read something on my wife's or daughter's iPhone and feel like I have to hold it up to my face and squint.

A couple of related advantages (though admittedly minor ones):

- More comfortable arm position when you're such sitting around, since you can hold it further away.

- When I'm reading something on the phone at night in bed and I drift off, the phone falls on my chest rather than right on my face like the iPhone would. :topcat: I think my wife probably misses that, though, as it was always good for a big laugh out of her.

Either way, guess I'm not upgrading. Not interested in a $700+ phone and like my current setup.
Yeah, if my wife wasn't so obsessed with the latest Apple device, we wouldn't be upgrading either. $900 (6+ 64GB w/tax). Sheesh. Makes my $350 Nexus 5 look like a drop in the bucket.

If only I could convince her to flip to Android. But that's never going to happen.
It's actually profitable to keep an additional $9.99 phone line only with verizon....pay for it each month and every 2 years use it to get a new phone, immediately disable it back to the 9.99 phone only and sell the new phone, wonder how long i'll be able to keep doing that?
what's this now? I asked about additional lines, and didn't see any of this
Ask for a new line, phone only and add it to your family plan/group plan, whatever. They'll have to activate an old phone from your history(if you have one) that was pre-smartphone(think flip phone). If you don't have an old phone in your history you can get one on ebay for $20. Set it up as a phone only line. This line will get the upgrade price on phones every 2 years just like any other phone. I set one of these lines up to keep my unlimited plan on my main line. Now I basically use this 3rd line as my upgrade line(I actually use it as a "home phone") but the upgrade always goes to me on my unlimited line....keep the unlimited data and get the phone upgraded every 2 years.

ETA: I use 10-20GB/month of data so keeping unlimited is very important to me

Yep!
What's the catch, seriously?
:shrug: THere's not one. I signed up for the 2GB plan today. Unlimited everything else. Includes wifi-tethering. Additional data only $15/GB. And yes, that price includes a subsidized phone. It really is a great deal.

The "Catch" is the rogue cell providers like Tmobile and Sprint are driving the market downward. :thumbup:

So no more walking in to AT&T on launch day and picking up a phone in-person while pre-orderer's check their tracking number daily?

Yep, I didn't see anybody mention it but I'm thinking the 6+ will be nice for reading and also better to type on. My biggest complaint right now with my 4s is I can't type on it well at all.

I've typically dismissed the idea of plans like the AT&T Next as a rip off but with their current promotion, and maybe I'm missing something, it seems like not such a bad deal.

I'm currently with Verizon but considered switching to AT&T and this is what I'm seeing for 2 iphone 6's (16gb and 64gb)

Under Next Plan

$1522 for phones ($650 16gb + $750 64gb + tax)

($720) plan discount for using Next ($15 per line X 24months)

($200) bill credit for Next activation ($100 per line credit)

$602 total cost with discounts

Under 2yr contract

$544 for phones ($199 16gb + $299 64gb +tax)

$80 activation fee ($40 per line)

$624 total

Am I missing anything here?

I was all set to order the 6+, but I really think Apple could have done a better job. The amount of bezel is insane and makes the phone too tall. Plus the weight with case is going to be about 70g heavier than my 5s with a case.

Also read an ArsTechnica article that the 5.5" screen was laggy due to image downscaling. Whereas, the 4.7 phone does not need any scaling.

I ended up ordering three 64gb 4.7" phones.

Already sold my 5s for $400. Wife's 4s for $200 and will get a $200 credit from Att for my kid's 4.

Plus a prorated refund from Squaretrade for the unused warranty. So, I recouped $850 total.

Ned said:
AAABatteries said:
Keerock said:
Yep, I didn't see anybody mention it but I'm thinking the 6+ will be nice for reading and also better to type on. My biggest complaint right now with my 4s is I can't type on it well at all.
I'm thinking the typing is going to be the biggest adjustment.
new keyboards on ios8 which will allow you to "shrink" the keyboard to the bottom right or left of the screen so you can still type with one thumb

John Kreese said:
I've typically dismissed the idea of plans like the AT&T Next as a rip off but with their current promotion, and maybe I'm missing something, it seems like not such a bad deal.

I'm currently with Verizon but considered switching to AT&T and this is what I'm seeing for 2 iphone 6's (16gb and 64gb)

Under Next Plan

Under 2yr contract

$624 total

Is it for 20 months or 24 months?

John Kreese said:

Under Next Plan

Under 2yr contract

$624 total

Only problem I see with that is you're leasing a phone. So when you're up for a new one you can't sell the one you have under this Next bull####. At least that's what I take out of it, I might be wrong.

John Kreese said:

Under Next Plan

Under 2yr contract

$624 total

Only problem I see with that is you're leasing a phone. So when you're up for a new one you can't sell the one you have under this Next bull####. At least that's what I take out of it, I might be wrong.
You're correct.

The Next plan is a rip off in my experience.

Signed up for the Note 3 a year ago, dropped it a few times and it's got a scratch or two and a small crack on the screen.

Since I'm on the next plans, I'm allowed to upgrade every year (mind you, this increased my bill 25 dollars per month because I was "leasing" the note through the NEXT plan)

They won't accept the Note 3 back in exchange for a new phone because it wasn't resellable. I could pay to have it repaired for 130 dollars and THEN turn it back into them if I wanted.

In other words, you'd better make sure there isn't a scratch on the phone when you go turn it in.

You're also paying for almost half the full retail price for the phone and you are forced to trade it in when you want to get the newest technology.

Meaning - you never really "own" your phone (unless you pay it off completely at the FULL retail price). You have a perpetual 25 dollars added to your cell phone bill and if you want to take advantage of Next, every year when you trade up, you have to return the phone you've been paying for.

Thanks for the follow up JB, that sounds like a nightmare. And the ATnT kid told me on the phone last night, "two year contracts are basically worthless now with the Next plan." Oh are they? Ok kid.

Thanks for the follow up JB, that sounds like a nightmare. And the ATnT kid told me on the phone last night, "two year contracts are basically worthless now with the Next plan." Oh are they? Ok kid.
They were pushing them hard. Which is all you need to know.

I had CASH in hand ready to buy the phone at FULL retail price because I was not eligible to upgrade and they still somehow talked me into the NEXT plan. I hate it.

It's a big winner for them.

Here's where you might want to consider it.

"Do you want to upgrade your phone EVERY single year, no matter what?"

If the answer is yes, then by all means, enroll.

Can you possibly wait 2 years? Are you willing to sit back and wait if the next model of iPhone isn't a huge bump in technology?

Can you take good enough care of your phone to sell it back to Gazelle or on Ebay or something to help purchase a new phone IF you need one every year?

If yes, then there's no need for the NEXT plan.

It sucks.

Unless I'm mistaken once you complete the 20 or 24 months of paying off the phone you could then trade it in for credit or sell it like you would had you bought it normally. Verizon says this specifically in its faq. I assume att is the same.

I think these plans were a huge rip off when they started and there were no bill credits or other incentives just a straight 24 month lease at the phones msrp. Now that they give you $15 - $25 per month bill credits plus the $100 per line credit with at&t it's not so bad any more.

The costs I listed before were for 24 months btw.

John Kreese said:

Under Next Plan

Under 2yr contract

$624 total

You're correct.The Next plan is a rip off in my experience.

Signed up for the Note 3 a year ago, dropped it a few times and it's got a scratch or two and a small crack on the screen.

Since I'm on the next plans, I'm allowed to upgrade every year (mind you, this increased my bill 25 dollars per month because I was "leasing" the note through the NEXT plan)

They won't accept the Note 3 back in exchange for a new phone because it wasn't resellable. I could pay to have it repaired for 130 dollars and THEN turn it back into them if I wanted.

In other words, you'd better make sure there isn't a scratch on the phone when you go turn it in.

You're also paying for almost half the full retail price for the phone and you are forced to trade it in when you want to get the newest technology.

Meaning - you never really "own" your phone (unless you pay it off completely at the FULL retail price). You have a perpetual 25 dollars added to your cell phone bill and if you want to take advantage of Next, every year when you trade up, you have to return the phone you've been paying for.
Even if you pay the phone off at full retail price doesn't it still work out in favor because the discount the plan if plan to hold to your phone 2+ years?

Or is the discount something temporary to hook you into the NEXT program and two years from now they drop the credit?

Anyone else's showing a 10/13- 10/18 shipping date???

My email from this morning said 9/19. Under my orders on att.com its OCT 13-18th :hot: :hot: :hot:
Same here.
And they already charged me...I thought they weren't supposed to charge until its shipped? It couldn't possibly take a month?
I wasn't charged yet. I also spent an hour on the phone/online chat to get a deal I was happy with. I wanted no part of that Next crap.

My email from this morning said 9/19. Under my orders on att.com its OCT 13-18th :hot: :hot: :hot:
They just charged my card and sent me a text saying my order was processed. I checked my status and it said 11/7 - 11/27!?!

I ordered at 12:04 (3 minutes in) and it said 14-21 days. This sucks. FTR, I got a 6 plus 128 silver

Played around with my friend's Samsung phone that is the same size as the 6+. Fits in front or back of jeans pocket with no issue at all

WE did this last time in here.

You'll get the phone on 9.19

Same exact thing happened last time and everyone got their phone way sooner

Users who are viewing this thread