What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Art of the Trade (3 Viewers)

"I feel" is a non starter for me.  Emotional fantasy owners are rarely productive trade partners.

@Hot Sauce Guy .. not trying to single you out here, there are a handful of posters going this route here.  Not uncommon, I just can't relate.
I'd say close to 50% of owners qualify as emotional owners. You're doing yourself a disservice if you let that be a nonstarter for you. Emotional owners can be least willing to trade a player or most willing to get someone off their roster. You just have to catch them at the right moment. 

In the thread that started this, I got accused of being an emotional owner because I counter garbage offers with my own garbage offer. I explained in that thread that it's not emotional, it's rational. If an owner isn't willing to spend time to put together a semi-plausible offer, then I'm most likely wasting my time if I spend time crafting a legitimate counter offer. The garbage counter isn't me slamming the door shut, it's just me reciprocating. I'm saying I see what you did there and I can do that, too. The fact I'm countering says the door is open, but I'm not investing time until they invest the time. After all, they want the player from me. Not the other way around. The onus is on them.

----------------------------------------------------------

As for strategy, I like this time of year. I start looking at teams that are out of contention and then looking for 29/30 year old players. If their situations are stable, you're probably getting more years out of them than most people think. People who bought Fitz or Steve Smith at 30 probably don't regret it! Those are exceptions, but Boldin, Andre Johnson, TO, Reggie Wayne were all probably nice buys around the age of 30. It's risky, but low risk. You could very well end up with a Decker, Hogan, or... Dez. 

If I'm making a decent player-for-player trade, I also like to ask for an impending FA (like a Kevin White or Moncrief) as a throw in if I have the roster space to spare because you don't have to hold for long - half a season. Robert Woods is a good example. You could probably have gotten him for almost nothing mid-2016 before his free agency. If Albert Wilson hadn't gotten injured, he'd be a good example, too. Chances are you'll end up with a Sanu or Brian Quick, but it never hurts to ask just in case...

I'd say close to 50% of owners qualify as emotional owners. You're doing yourself a disservice if you let that be a nonstarter for you. Emotional owners can be least willing to trade a player or most willing to get someone off their roster. You just have to catch them at the right moment. 

In the thread that started this, I got accused of being an emotional owner because I counter garbage offers with my own garbage offer. I explained in that thread that it's not emotional, it's rational. If an owner isn't willing to spend time to put together a semi-plausible offer, then I'm most likely wasting my time if I spend time crafting a legitimate counter offer. The garbage counter isn't me slamming the door shut, it's just me reciprocating. I'm saying I see what you did there and I can do that, too. The fact I'm countering says the door is open, but I'm not investing time until they invest the time. After all, they want the player from me. Not the other way around. The onus is on them.

----------------------------------------------------------

As for strategy, I like this time of year. I start looking at teams that are out of contention and then looking for 29/30 year old players. If their situations are stable, you're probably getting more years out of them than most people think. People who bought Fitz or Steve Smith at 30 probably don't regret it! Those are exceptions, but Boldin, Andre Johnson, TO, Reggie Wayne were all probably nice buys around the age of 30. It's risky, but low risk. You could very well end up with a Decker, Hogan, or... Dez. 

If I'm making a decent player-for-player trade, I also like to ask for an impending FA (like a Kevin White or Moncrief) as a throw in if I have the roster space to spare because you don't have to hold for long - half a season. Robert Woods is a good example. You could probably have gotten him for almost nothing mid-2016 before his free agency. If Albert Wilson hadn't gotten injured, he'd be a good example, too. Chances are you'll end up with a Sanu or Brian Quick, but it never hurts to ask just in case...
It continues to amaze me that you think giving the other guy the finger is an effective way to communicate "the door is open".

It continues to amaze me that you think giving the other guy the finger is an effective way to communicate "the door is open".
It continues to amaze me that you think giving someone the finger is an effective way to communicate "I'm interested in your player and want to make a fair trade."

Again, if you send someone a garbage offer you are a hypocrite if you are offended that they reciprocate in kind. :shrug:

When you lead in with a garbage offer you are effectively communicating one of the following:
1) I'm stupid and think this is a fair trade
2) I think you're stupid and might accept this garbage
3) I'm not actually interested in making a serious offer for your player
4) I value your player way below consensus, so I'm not a good trade partner if you were looking to sell this guy
5) best case scenario: I'm interested in your player but too lazy to put in the work of making a serious offer

Closing the door is ignoring or rejecting with no counter. A counter just as bad as the initial is placing the ball back in the other guy's court. So if you're #5, man up and put in the work or move along. No skin off my back. I wasn't the one looking to sell to begin with.

It kind of like when people approach you and say, "what do you want for this player?" I don't mind them asking (sometimes I'll approach someone that way), but I'll usually just say, "I don't know. Make me an offer." It's ok to try to pawn the legwork off, but nobody should be surprised when the work is placed back in their hands. 

It continues to amaze me that you think giving someone the finger is an effective way to communicate "I'm interested in your player and want to make a fair trade."

Again, if you send someone a garbage offer you are a hypocrite if you are offended that they reciprocate in kind. :shrug:

When you lead in with a garbage offer you are effectively communicating one of the following:
1) I'm stupid and think this is a fair trade
2) I think you're stupid and might accept this garbage
3) I'm not actually interested in making a serious offer for your player
4) I value your player way below consensus, so I'm not a good trade partner if you were looking to sell this guy
5) best case scenario: I'm interested in your player but too lazy to put in the work of making a serious offer

Closing the door is ignoring or rejecting with no counter. A counter just as bad as the initial is placing the ball back in the other guy's court. So if you're #5, man up and put in the work or move along. No skin off my back. I wasn't the one looking to sell to begin with.

It kind of like when people approach you and say, "what do you want for this player?" I don't mind them asking (sometimes I'll approach someone that way), but I'll usually just say, "I don't know. Make me an offer." It's ok to try to pawn the legwork off, but nobody should be surprised when the work is placed back in their hands. 
Do you walk onto the car lot offering the most right away? No. You start low & hope to settle somewhere between your opener & their high offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stuart Ullman said:
Oh, by the way, you have to trade TALENT to get TALENT.
The problem with this statement is that few owners agree on what TALENT is worth.  And along with TALENT, there are the additional qualities of OPPORTUNITY, INJURY and SITUATION.

You can acquire a more TALENTED player for someone who is scoring points right now due to OPPORTUNITY.

You can acquire a more TALENTED player from a team that is in the SITUATION of trying to win now and has players out due to INJURY

Do you walk onto the car lot offering the most right away? No. You start low & hope to settle somewhere between your opener & their high offer.
I get what you're saying but the car lot definitely wants to sell you a car and has likely advertised a price they will take for each vehicle they have. You're just trying to get the car as inexpensively as possible. Not the same thing as a trade in fantasy.

I never said anything like this.  I'm not endorsing anyone sending garbage offers.  We agree that the initial offer should be well thought out and reasonable.  But we all understand that not all are.  So the issue we are discussing here is how best to respond when you are on the receiving end of a crappy opener.

If you want to engage, then your approach is poor and very unlikely to garner further dialog.

If you want the other guy to piss off, then your approach is perfect.

JMHO of course, YMMV.

Using your example, next time you want to buy a $40k car, please go up to the car salesman and offer him $1500 cash and see how serious he takes you.

There's a huuuuge difference between a garbage offer and your best offer. If you view them as binary options, I don't know what to tell you. There's definitely a grey area. If you come at me offering me 60 cents for my $1 player, I'll reply back asking for $1.30 cents... negotiations are on at that point. If you come at me offer me 3 cents for my $1 player, I'll reply back asking $10 for my $1 player. Ball is in  your court at that point.

I never said anything like this.  I'm not endorsing anyone sending garbage offers.  We agree that the initial offer should be well thought out and reasonable.  But we all understand that not all are.  So the issue we are discussing here is how best to respond when you are on the receiving end of a crappy opener.

If you want to engage, then your approach is poor and very unlikely to garner further dialog.

If you want the other guy to piss off, then your approach is perfect.

JMHO of course, YMMV.
The part you seem to be missing is that the person knows they just sent me a garbage offer. It would be totally illogical (and hypocritical) for them to ignore me for sending them a garbage offer if they just sent me a garbage offer in the hopes that I would not ignore them. By countering I'm at least keeping the dialogue open even though the odds of it being a serious inquiry are very small.

In my experience, garbage offers are rarely hot leads. I'd liken to getting an unsolicited sales call and then staying on the line in hopes that they might actually be selling something you want at a good price. So while most people hang up, instead of just rejecting the offer I'm at least giving the other owner an opportunity to get serious with their counter offer. They cast out their fishing line and I gave them a very small nibble. 

I do not think fees for trades are beneficial as that only adds another obstacle to actually completing trades.  I want to promote trades not add obstacles to them so I have never been able to see the purpose of a fee to complete a trade.
Both my leagues consider a trade an “add/drop” of every player involved. 

I can see your point about being a potential barrier, but that’s an external view of it. Once you’re in that system, you just see it as the cost of doing business. 

The rest of the league sees it as a way to build the pot that they don’t have to contribute. ;)  

Using your example, next time you want to buy a $40k car, please go up to the car salesman and offer him $1500 cash and see how serious he takes you.

There's a huuuuge difference between a garbage offer and your best offer. If you view them as binary options, I don't know what to tell you. There's definitely a grey area. If you come at me offering me 60 cents for my $1 player, I'll reply back asking for $1.30 cents... negotiations are on at that point. If you come at me offer me 3 cents for my $1 player, I'll reply back asking $10 for my $1 player. Ball is in  your court at that point.
I can understand where you are coming from. I have a similar issue with this guy in my dynasty league who thinks he is "Mr. Knows It All".  Whenever he approaches me a trade proposal (most of the time, it's always a low-ball offer), he would comment, explaining the logistics, add-value, and whatnot.  I usually respond with a simple question, "how would this trade help my team when this trade clearly benefits in your favor?".  Yet he couldn't respond at every time. Often time, we always end up having a major disagreement and the recurring theme is his strong desire to win the argument (and trade equation) regardless.  And he has often claim my ignorance and lack of knowledge with player's value as difficulty to make a trade with me (I always conduct research thoroughly to evaluate a particular player's value and potential).

The part you seem to be missing is that the person knows they just sent me a garbage offer. It would be totally illogical (and hypocritical) for them to ignore me for sending them a garbage offer if they just sent me a garbage offer in the hopes that I would not ignore them. By countering I'm at least keeping the dialogue open even though the odds of it being a serious inquiry are very small.

In my experience, garbage offers are rarely hot leads. I'd liken to getting an unsolicited sales call and then staying on the line in hopes that they might actually be selling something you want at a good price. So while most people hang up, instead of just rejecting the offer I'm at least giving the other owner an opportunity to get serious with their counter offer. They cast out their fishing line and I gave them a very small nibble. 
I understand the bolded is how you see things.

I disagree that the other guy would view it that way.

Good luck this weekend!

I can understand where you are coming from. I have a similar issue with this guy in my dynasty league who thinks he is "Mr. Knows It All".  Whenever he approaches me a trade proposal (most of the time, it's always a low-ball offer), he would comment, explaining the logistics, add-value, and whatnot.  I usually respond with a simple question, "how would this trade help my team when this trade clearly benefits in your favor?".  Yet he couldn't respond at every time. Often time, we always end up having a major disagreement and the recurring theme is his strong desire to win the argument (and trade equation) regardless.  And he has often claim my ignorance and lack of knowledge with player's value as difficulty to make a trade with me (I always conduct research thoroughly to evaluate a particular player's value and potential).
Look I already told you, I deal with the @#$% customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people, can't you understand that? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

"I feel" is a non starter for me.  Emotional fantasy owners are rarely productive trade partners.

@Hot Sauce Guy .. not trying to single you out here, there are a handful of posters going this route here.  Not uncommon, I just can't relate.
It’s ok - I admit this is a personal pet peeve - I’ve said that explicitly. 

The nonstarter to me is someone offering absolute garbage for one of my better assets. 

I reject it outright and do not see it as a productive way to begin negotiations.

whether my being irritated or insulted by it is emotional or logical is irrelevant - if you want to make a deal with me you need to be respectful within the confines of our relationship as people. 

And it feels disrespectful to waste my time with garbage lowball offers. There’s a much better path to negotiation - send a somewhat reasonable (yet still low) offer & allow me to counter. 

If my response to your offer is “holy crap what hot nonsense is this?!?” chances are I’m not going to bother with a counter because it’s a non-serious offer. 

If you’re looking to buy a house that’s listed at $500k you’re not going to get a response to a $150k offer. But if you offer $400k, the owner may come back at $450, where you could then ask for closing costs. 

There’s a such thing as a serious offer and a non-serious offer. Serious offers are treated respectfully and warrant a response/counter. 

Now, whether the home owner was insulted by the $150k offer is irrelevant, just as it’s irrelevant to my statement about lowball offers - yet the response is the same. 

Look I already told you, I deal with the @#$% customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people, can't you understand that? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?
As an IT project manager who ran a dev team for 5 years, that was literally my job. I would reference that scene at least 10x a week. :lol:  

I understand the bolded is how you see things.

I disagree that the other guy would view it that way.

Good luck this weekend!
And I disagree that someone who sends a garbage offer is going to be offended when they receive a garbage offer back. I'm sure they are used to straight rejections, so at least someone nibbled on their stinky bait.

Good luck to you as well.

I have never been given a reason for this type of transaction fee that makes sense.
Here’s one: 

if you’re one of the 10 teams not involved in a deal, why should teams be able to exhange assets for free when you need to pay to add someone (likely a less valuable someone) off the WW? 

consider it a “league tax” for the transaction and perhaps it’ll make more sense. :)  

Here’s one: 

if you’re one of the 10 teams not involved in a deal, why should teams be able to exhange assets for free when you need to pay to add someone (likely a less valuable someone) off the WW? 

consider it a “league tax” for the transaction and perhaps it’ll make more sense. :)  
So long as all 12 teams have the same opportunity "to exhange assets for free" via trade, then what's the issue?

People get too upset over FANTASY football. Don't like an offer? Counter it or tell the person, maturely, what it would take to get X player. :)

So long as all 12 teams have the same opportunity "to exhange assets for free" via trade, then what's the issue?
Wait what? 

This is really a reach. 

1. There’s no issue - all teams have the opportunity to make trades for the same fee. But...

2. There are only 2 teams involved in the deal, thus in a 12-team league the other 10 aren’t. 12 - 2 = 10

Those 10 teams need to pay to add players, so why should they (the 10 not involved in a trade) have to see players exchanged for no fee? Apples to apples. Again. Weird we keep having issues with direct comparisons like this. 

3. There’s an add/drop fee and trade fee in both my leagues. It is what it is. I was merely suggesting a way I might make sense to consider it for someone who’d asked. If you don’t like it, don’t play in those kinds of leagues. I don’t mind it because it builds a pot and adds a variable. 

I’ve never considered it a barrier to trade was my point anyway. 

People get too upset over FANTASY football. Don't like an offer? Counter it or tell the person, maturely, what it would take to get X player. :)
Or tell them to F off. It’s really your prerogative to respond however you’d like. 

There’s whole spectrum of possible responses. 

Your approach is one of them. ;)  

Wait what? 

This is really a reach. 

1. There’s no issue - all teams have the opportunity to make trades for the same fee. But...

2. There are only 2 teams involved in the deal, thus in a 12-team league the other 10 aren’t. 12 - 2 = 10

Those 10 teams need to pay to add players, so why should they (the 10 not involved in a trade) have to see players exchanged for no fee? Apples to apples. Again. Weird we keep having issues with direct comparisons like this. 

3. There’s an add/drop fee and trade fee in both my leagues. It is what it is. I was merely suggesting a way I might make sense to consider it for someone who’d asked. If you don’t like it, don’t play in those kinds of leagues. I don’t mind it because it builds a pot and adds a variable. 

I’ve never considered it a barrier to trade was my point anyway. 
All 12 teams have equal opportunity to add players via waivers or free agency, for a fee.

All 12 teams have equal opportunity to add players via trade for free.

Not seeing the inherent unfairness in that setup.

Just because one thing costs money doesn't mean all things must cost money.

Are you 12? Smh
No, but if someone offers me an absolute trash offer for my good players I don’t see why it’s mandatory for me to give them a polite response. Especially since I’ve known most of the guys in both of my leagues for 10-20 years.

I don’t see why some folks can’t understand why low-ball offers are the equivelent to insulting their trade partner.

in the least it’s disrespectful.

Welcome to my ignored users list.  :thumbup:

I think I need at least another page of the back and forth before I can decide how I feel about the Low-ball offer and cash transaction fee topics. 
lol - yeah, I don’t get why people get so fired up about either.

if you want to see a low-ball as an opening salvo, great - good luck with that.

likewise, if you don’t wanna play in cash transaction leagues, don’t.

these aren’t complex issues. They’re both kind of a binary.  :shrug:

No, but if someone offers me an absolute trash offer for my good players I don’t see why it’s mandatory for me to give them a polite response. Especially since I’ve known most of the guys in both of my leagues for 10-20 years.

I don’t see why some folks can’t understand why low-ball offers are the equivelent to insulting their trade partner.

in the least it’s disrespectful.

Welcome to my ignored users list.  :thumbup:
Because you are not a ####ty person? Maybe you are, though. Whatever

Ironically, engineering is my profession in the outside of FF realm... (Gasp), do you have a secret security camera hidden in my "gopher" cubicle office? 

Who do you perceive is upset in this scenario? This is a strategic system I use for the sake of time efficiency. As someone who is in a lot of leagues, I don't always have the time or mental energy to go to the league site and look over their team, find out what draft picks they've got, and then put together a thoughtful offer. I will do this if they put in the effort to send me a semi-plausible offer. If they send me a garbage offer, that lack of effort on their part indicates a few things, but the main takeaway is that the odds of a mutually agreeable deal are very low. So from a time efficiency perspective, the best thing to do is to quickly put the ball back in their court with an equally garbage counter offer, basically saying, "I see what you did there and I can do it, too. I'm here and listening if you want to get serious." I'm sure most people just reject or ignore their garbage offers, so getting a counter at least let's them know somebody pinged them back.

I've made a few trades like this, so I know it works. But again, the burden of putting together a reasonable offer is on the person pursuing the trade. They want something from me. Not the other way around. You are showing some of the cards in your hand if you tell them what it would take to get player X. Make them be the first to reveal something. Maybe they'll start out at or near what you wanted and you can then negotiate a little extra. I don't fault them for trying because, conversely, I always try to get the other player to name a value when I approach someone for a trade. I know the burden should be on me as the pursuer, but again, if you can get a starting point from the other guy, that's a little edge. So I don't usually send trade offers. I usually ask, "what would it take to get Player X or Player Y from you?" If they just say, "send me an offer" then I will but it's at least worth a shot to get them to make the first line in the sand.

I totally disagree with this.  There is a huge difference between having a transaction fee to help curb roster churning and making the step of now offering cash to other teams to consummate trades.  These are drastically different situations and a transaction fee is not a gate way drug to approaching people to sell their players.
To be clear, I'm not judging or against the practice at all but I remain unconvinced that at its essence, this isn't just about money. There are other ways to "help curb roster churn" that don't involve money. You may not like them but they exist. If you're okay with a completely open-ended secondary currency in your league I am too. I just think it's naive to think people won't use that form of currency to barter or buy other "goods and services"...

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I think that lack of information is the main thing that gets in the way of trades happening. If you sat me and any random owner in my dynasty league down for an hour to sort through trade possibilities then we'd probably be able to come up with some deal that both of us viewed as a win for our team. The main reason that deal hasn't already happened is that I don't know how he values different players and what he's looking for, he doesn't know how I value players and what I'm looking for, and neither of us has taken much time to try to piece together a deal that we'd both agree to. So I'm generally pretty straightforward about saying which of my players I'm most willing to trade away and which of his players I'm most interested in trading for, rather than trying to be coy or sneaky.

2. I pay a lot of attention to the "generic market price" as represented by things like dynasty rankings and ADP. I mostly send out offers that are close to even in generic market price, I try to trade away players on my roster who I value at less than their generic market price, and I try to trade for players who I value at more than their generic market price. Though occasionally I'll end up with trades which are somewhat lopsided in my favor (if I can get them) or in the other guy's favor (if I have strong enough opinions about the players involved).

3. I pay attention to what the other guy is likely to want. I'll offer him RBs if it looks like he's thin at RB, I'll try to trade for his vets if he's rebuilding, I'll try to trade for a WR who doesn't crack his lineup, I'll offer him a hot prospect who is starting to generate hype if he has shown that he loves those sorts of shiny toys, I'll try to get his future draft picks if he has previously shown a willingness to trade those away, I'll offer him players who he has previously shown an interest in, etc. Anything that will make the deal look better in his eyes without making it looks worse in my eyes. Owners are willing to sacrifice a bit of "value" to fill a need (and so on), and I want them to be sacrificing that value to me.

4. I make lots of offers / start lots of discussions. I think I'm good enough of player valuation & roster construction such that each trade makes my team at least a little better, so I look to make lots of trades. I'm one of the most active traders in most of my leagues. That includes moving up & down in the draft so that my picks better align with the sweet spots in the draft, adding players who I think the other guy is undervaluing, filling needs, and so on.

5. I stay patient and shop around rather than getting too locked in on a particular deal. If I need a RB I'll look through every owner's roster to see if there might be a deal to make, whether it means that I get a stud, a solid starter, a stopgap vet, a shot at a potential borderline starter, or whatever. I'll send out a bunch of offers or start a bunch of discussions. And if I don't like my options then I'll wait a bit and then try again, rather than overpaying because I feel like I have to make a particular deal right now. Similarly, I generally don't rush to ditch a player on my roster who I think is overvalued if I don't like the offers coming in, and I don't overpay by a ton to acquire a player who I think is undervalued; there are other owners I could trade with, other players I could try to trade for, new possibilities that could open up in a week or two.

I look at what teams need before I ever look at what I need. I try to find a team in need of something and then see if there is a trade that gets them help in that area and also gets me something I want. 

Another question to add to the discussion:

What are peoples' thoughts about publicly broadcasting your offers? Say you offer a trade or you have a trade offered to you and you counter, the guy receiving it isn't a big fan of that offer. Goes on the message board (or messaging app) and goes on to essentially broadcast your trade and tell other owners to watch out when trading with you. Doesn't mention you by name, but mentions the players involved in the trade (doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out). Even if it wasn't a final offer, still trolling you to the group.

Thoughts on this? 

My personal opinion is what's said in trade discussions stays in trade discussions. I'm less likely to work with a guy at all who is going to tell the league what I was offering and to watch out when trading with me. 
If someone repeatedly makes terrible offers I don’t see anything wrong with it. If you are ashamed to see it publicly, then I’m guessing it wasn’t a great offer. Not something I’ve done but was tempted when one guy sent 15 to 20 offers for the 1.01. They were all terrible and I finally told him that I had no chance nterest whatsoever. He responded that he was out of town for the week but would send some more offers when he got back. It gets to be borderline harassment with some guys. 

1) Every owner that you attempt to trade with is different.  Motivated by different criteria and perceive value uniquely.

2) In that vein, there are owners I simply know I won’t do business with on anything consequential because the gulf between the two parameters above is too wide between us.

3) Trades rarely get made IMO based on what you want.  Unless your trading partner sees the value in a deal related to them becoming better, usually nothing gets done.  That doesn’t mean you can’t perhaps stumble upon a lopsided deal...but you have to think situationally.  And these situations aren’t incredibly common.

voiceofunreason said:
If someone repeatedly makes terrible offers I don’t see anything wrong with it. If you are ashamed to see it publicly, then I’m guessing it wasn’t a great offer. Not something I’ve done but was tempted when one guy sent 15 to 20 offers for the 1.01. They were all terrible and I finally told him that I had no chance nterest whatsoever. He responded that he was out of town for the week but would send some more offers when he got back. It gets to be borderline harassment with some guys. 
repeated terrible trades are one thing. but every offer that you may not like

Users who are viewing this thread