What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Bill Simmons Podcast (1 Viewer)

I've been a Simmons fan for probably going on 20 years. Not sure exactly when I discovered him, but I know I was already a regular reader by the time the Sox blew the '03 ALCS and he ran a particularly hilarious/devastating mailbag.

Anyway, I wouldn't describe myself as a fanboy or anything, but I enjoy his stuff and I also admire his accomplishments with both Grantland and The Ringer. (It's pretty cool to create that many jobs in a struggling industry, and by all accounts he's a great manager, which is something I respect a lot in people). Both the flagship podcast and The Rewatchables are in my regular rotation (although I skip the latter if I haven't seen the movie).

At the same time, I definitely recognize his faults: the Boston homerism, flooding the zone with NBA talk, the pop-culture stuff that can sometimes feel too forced. I also suspect if I ever actually hung out with him I probably wouldn't like him as much as I do now. But whenever I see someone on the Internet trying to take him down, I'm reminded of a great piece that Will Leitch once wrote about Roger Ebert.

It came out after Chris Jones' legendary Esquire profile of Ebert cemented his status as a secular saint. Leitch wrote about how, as the editor of the Illinois student paper, he had reached out to Ebert, a UI alum, and Ebert had been nothing but gracious in mentoring him through his early career. And then came the betrayal:

Meanwhile, the Web was beginning to emerge, and we young turks, swept in during the dot-com boom, all thought we were punk rock gods, ready to kill our idols. Ebert began to feel like the old guard: In the wake of Siskel's death, he had become a ubiquitous presence on television, at the expense of his writing, I felt. In 2000, when I'd moved to New York and, like everybody else, was being paid far too much just to be told I was part of the next "MTV Generation" of Internet stars, I thought I knew everything. You had to burn down the past. These were the days of We Live in Public, of Pets.com, of bringing your dog in the office, of Webvan, of espnet.sportszone.com. We all thought we were hot ####.

And I was ready to make my own name. My editor at Ironminds, the old Web magazine I moved out to New York for, had heard me drunkenly #####ing about Ebert at a bar the night before and suggested I write about him. "Put him in his place," he said. "Yeah: It's our time now," I said. We were all so, so stupid.

So I did. The next morning, Ironminds ran a piece called "I Am Sick Of Roger Ebert's Fat F—-ing Face." The piece — which, mercifully, is no longer online — wasn't as virulent as that headline would imply, but I did use that exact line in the piece, and I did make a few cheap shots about his weight. The thesis of the piece was that Ebert's work was suffering because he was on television all the time, but that's not really what it was about: It was me lashing out at Daddy, trying to make my own name, trying to feed off his. That's not what I thought I was doing at the time. But that's absolutely what it was.
Whenever someone becomes a big name, it just seems like people make it their business to try to take them down, like Kenard shooting Omar in "The Wire". Simmons, Peter King, Malcolm Gladwell. Sure, they all have their flaws. But invariably, those takedowns end up telling me more about the people writing them than they do about their subjects.

. (It's pretty cool to create that many jobs in a struggling industry, and by all accounts he's a great manager, which is something I respect a lot in people).

I agree with a lot of your post, but there's plenty of talk out there on the internets about this part just not being true.

I agree with a lot of your post, but there's plenty of talk out there on the internets about this part just not being true.
I've heard some of those rumors, but I've also seen a lot of people who worked under him go on the record about what a great boss he was. When he left Grantland, I remember seeing a whole bunch of unsolicited testimonials.

Maybe he's one of those bosses who, if he's on your side, you love him, and if not, you hate him?

I've heard some of those rumors, but I've also seen a lot of people who worked under him go on the record about what a great boss he was. When he left Grantland, I remember seeing a whole bunch of unsolicited testimonials.

Maybe he's one of those bosses who, if he's on your side, you love him, and if not, you hate him?

Yep I think that's it.  He plays favorites, and his small cadre of faves love him.  The rest resent him and the cadre.  It's like high school, which to me is completely unsurprising since Simmons has about that level of maturity.

Not sure exactly when I discovered him, but I know I was already a regular reader by the time the Sox blew the '03 ALCS and he ran a particularly hilarious/devastating mailbag.
He is a long way from Page 2 or 3 or whatever that one was that had Hunter S. Thompson ostensibly writing an article about sports that always became about the West Memphis Three. 

Simmons was good back then. I appreciated his victory lap in '04 as one of those old New England diehard Sox fans, and I wouldn't have begrudged him a thing. Then came 30 for 30 (Who on earth can hate on that?) and all that went with it, and his personality and ego started to go through the roof. He fancied himself a player in Bristol, and for sure he was, but we didn't need to know about the inner workings of his life and job. 

And perhaps that's par for the modern course. In order to bring great things to the masses, one must be a bit of an arrogant sod, somebody who believes passionately in what they are doing. But then to bring all the behind-the-scenes stuff to the fore as if we were all hanging on every move, every little memorandum and power play? No. Just enough of it already. That and the basketball. Just...enough. 

Simmons has really been dead since his stint with ABC and basketball. May he rest behind the scenes peacefully, richly, and forever. 

He did an interview with Curtis on the Press Box podcast. It was a pretty interesting discussion of his career, at least for a longtime fan like myself. 

You know, the more I think about this, the more I realize I don't really care what Simmons is like as a person. I think one of the traps when you read someone's writing over a long period of time -- and even moreso when you listen to their podcast -- is that you can fool yourself into thinking you have a connection with them. You hear all about their spouses, their kids, their pets. But of course, you're only hearing a cultivated image of what they choose to present. More obviously, they have no idea who you are. So it creates this faux level of intimacy (which is one reason I think podcasting has become such an effective media channel). If you ever poke around those Reddit forums -- which I regrettably did yesterday -- it's hard to come away with any conclusion other than the fact that, positive or negative, these guys (and they are overwhelmingly guys) are giving way too much headspace to someone they've never met.

Anyway, if Simmons were kicking puppies or spouting QAnon theories or something else beyond the pale, that would put me off of him. But anything within the normal range is really not that important. I enjoy listening to his podcast; I admire what he's built with The Ringer. That should be enough.

Bill had his daughter on to discuss a show he's never watched (stranger things) and is dismissive because he assumes it's for teens (it's not - just so happens to be popular with his daughters age group)

- even though this season pays homage to Halloween and Freddie Kreuger - two of his favorite things

😂

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill had his daughter on to discuss a show he's never watched (stranger things) and is dismissive because he assumes it's for teens - even though this season pays homage to Halloween and Freddie Kreuger - two of his favorite things

😂
He's very creative at finding new ways to be tone-deaf. 

Bill had his daughter on to discuss a show he's never watched (stranger things) and is dismissive because he assumes it's for teens (it's not - just so happens to be popular with his daughters age group)

- even though this season pays homage to Halloween and Freddie Kreuger - two of his favorite things

😂
As much as he seems to love the horror genre I’m shocked he hasn’t watched that. 

Simmons the author put his name on the annual NBA trade value article on The Ringer.  It consisted of thirteen paragraphs explaining his methodology largely copied from previous years and a list of 64 players split into twelve groups presented without comment.

Simmons the author put his name on the annual NBA trade value article on The Ringer.  It consisted of thirteen paragraphs explaining his methodology largely copied from previous years and a list of 64 players split into twelve groups presented without comment.
I think what happened is he released the trade value list as a podcast where he and Russillo discussed it at length (and I do mean at length). Then near the end he mused that someone was going to end up aggregating the list on another site, so they might as well just run it on The Ringer.

He's been pretty clear for the past few years that his writing career is over because his "fingers don't work anymore".

Is that metaphorical or does he have arthritis?
I don't listen nearly as much as others here but I think it's a genuine physical issue.  I could be wrong though. He just mentioned it on the last Rewatchables about Misery. RIP Caan. 
I had always assumed it was metaphorical. Kornheiser experienced something similar a couple decades ago and they talked about it when he came on Simmons’ podcast

Would make sense. Just when he mentioned it during The Misery podcast, it seemed so matter of fact and not like a wink wink joke. I might have just missed that. 
he has casually mentioned it a number of times in at least the last year

i'd chalked it up to writing being a lot of work and him joking about it because he doesn't have to write anymore.

Is that metaphorical or does he have arthritis?
I don't listen nearly as much as others here but I think it's a genuine physical issue.  I could be wrong though. He just mentioned it on the last Rewatchables about Misery. RIP Caan. 
I had always assumed it was metaphorical. Kornheiser experienced something similar a couple decades ago and they talked about it when he came on Simmons’ podcast

He stole it from Kornheiser.  It's what a former writer says and it means "I make millions to uselessly run my mouth, why would I make little-to-nothing more money by writing?"

He did do a lengthy podcast about it with Russillo. 

After this week, Simmons is taking like 5 weeks off (per his podcast on Sunday).

Said he's had a 2 1/2 year run with no significant breaks

His podcasts (including the Rewatchables) have become a staple for listening enjoyment, warts and all

I'll have to find some others to fill the void.

Last edited by a moderator:
After this week, Simmons is taking like 5 weeks off (per his podcast on Sunday).

Said he's had a 2 1/2 year run with not significant breaks

His podcasts (including the Rewatchables) have become a staple for listening enjoyment, warts and all

I'll have to find some others to fill the void.

The Way I Heard It from Mike Rowe is pretty good, from a "kinda cool story I haven't heard" perspective.  Wait Wait Don't Tell Me fills a political/pop-culture/humor niche for our family....it's NPR so leans WAAAAAY left, but they do sometimes smack their own, and my wife and son both lean left anyway so they both love it on longer drives.  The Moth episodes are cool first-person stories told live. 

I give Simmons credit for "working hard" by talking more than most (man do I want to caveat that)...he deserves some time away.  You'll feel way more intelligent listening to any of these suggestions.  Even though I already respect you and know you are plenty smart. :D  

I think what happened is he released the trade value list as a podcast where he and Russillo discussed it at length (and I do mean at length). Then near the end he mused that someone was going to end up aggregating the list on another site, so they might as well just run it on The Ringer.

He's been pretty clear for the past few years that his writing career is over because his "fingers don't work anymore".

Yep.  That being said, I stopped visiting the Ringer regularly not long after the site launched because they posted a very similar article but without the justification that they were memorializing something from a podcast.  I think it was something like, "Nintendo games we are most looking forward to from the new throwback NES," followed by a list of like 15 games.  That was it; just the list and no commentary about any of them.  It was wild.

Listening to his reaction to the Celtic suspension. He’s very somber and commenting about how ugly Twitter has been, how Udoka deserves a second chance, calling it a really sad story, etc. I don’t disagree with any of that but…

It’s hard not to think that if this were any other team, he’d have Rusillo on cracking jokes about it.

At this point, the ONLY reason to listen is to hear Sal tear into him slightly jab him when Bill goes NBA in the first 10 minutes of the NFL podcast.

It's only slightly on-brand that the Boston Sports Guy would start an NFL team with Herbert/Mahomes??:maybe:??/Lawrence....and no mention of Lamar Jackson or Jaylen Hurts. Huh. Just sayin.

His betting takes are so bad and rudimentary that I am forced to listen. He’s lucky his job pays so well because he is god awful at breaking down games.

His betting takes are so bad and rudimentary that I am forced to listen. He’s lucky his job pays so well because he is god awful at breaking down games.

I mean, he is LITERALLY a multi-HUNDRED-MILLIONAIRE.

My resentment is real, but why would he care about $1000 bets?

I mean, he is LITERALLY a multi-HUNDRED-MILLIONAIRE.

My resentment is real, but why would he care about $1000 bets?
It has to be shtick because his parlays aren’t really even believable. And then his takes “I like this team because it’s the nobody believes in us team” good god

Guy knows how to build a business though.

I'm ashamed to admit I was a little excited this morning to see they did a two part Boogie Nights pod on The Rewatchables.

I'm ashamed to admit I was a little excited this morning to see they did a two part Boogie Nights pod on The Rewatchables.
I was too as I’m driving to Vegas tomorrow and will be in the car for hours.

But I will say I was a bit nervous too as he’s always said he was saving that movie for one of the last rewatchables. Its in my top 3 favorite pods so I don’t want it to go away….

But I will say I was a bit nervous too as he’s always said he was saving that movie for one of the last rewatchables. Its in my top 3 favorite pods so I don’t want it to go away….
If I had to guess, Rewatchables has to be in the top 5 most profitable podcasts on the Ringer network. I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon. And they are evergreen for the most part, so you want to make as many as possible.

If I had to guess, Rewatchables has to be in the top 5 most profitable podcasts on the Ringer network. I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon. And they are evergreen for the most part, so you want to make as many as possible.
Agreed on all parts. I don’t actually think it’s going away. I’m just saying that was my first thought when I saw it pop up this morning.

At this point, the ONLY reason to listen is to hear Sal tear into him slightly jab him when Bill goes NBA in the first 10 minutes of the NFL podcast.

It's only slightly on-brand that the Boston Sports Guy would start an NFL team with Herbert/Mahomes??:maybe:??/Lawrence....and no mention of Lamar Jackson or Jaylen Hurts. Huh. Just sayin.
Meh - I wouldn't read that into it. If Josh Allen isn't on the list, and Mahomes is, the bias seems to be toward guys who don't run as much. Considering he just watched Brady for 45 years, I can't hate him for that preference.

Meh - I wouldn't read that into it. If Josh Allen isn't on the list, and Mahomes is, the bias seems to be toward guys who don't run as much. Considering he just watched Brady for 45 years, I can't hate him for that preference.

You're probably right. It's more a symptom of him not thinking through his hot takes before speaking them. There's a hundred other reasons to hate him.

Credit where it's due: the bit with Sal and Simmons where they talked about how mad Roger Maris JR's boss must be that he is missing so much work to follow Aaron Judge around for a few weeks was legitimately funny.
I loved the Sal line of, "well, you did interview Obama but it seems like Roger Maris Jr.'s boss would be far more interesting."

Credit where it's due: the bit with Sal and Simmons where they talked about how mad Roger Maris JR's boss must be that he is missing so much work to follow Aaron Judge around for a few weeks was legitimately funny.
Oh those two are very funny together.

Also loved Simmons saying “it’s time to take serious the Eagles going 17-0 this year” and then 30 seconds later lamenting how bad he is at NFL gambling lol.

:lmao: I don't think House is that bad. He, of course, doesn't know what he's talking about, but that's kind of what makes him endearing. Plus we share a taste in all things food.

Users who are viewing this thread