What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Bill Simmons Podcast (2 Viewers)

he's a sports fanatic that has a podcast. don't look for him to be the Oracle at Delphi or anything.

it's more like listening to one of your friends talk sports. you don't expect them to be experts and criticize every mis-step constantly. you just shoot the breeze with them because you both love sports.

He is was a PROFESSIONAL writer. He talks for hours per week on a stupid podcast that offers nothing but distraction and yet has made him a fractional billionaire. And still, he can't be bothered to come up with correct words so he just uses "thing" in place of the correct word. He is MAYBE the laziest partial billionaire in history.

Advertisement: "....Let me tell you why I love it. We just had somebody two blocks away - we had a package stealer in our 'extended neighborhood' [:bored:], somebody who was going up and down...guess who caught him?! The person who had SimpliSafe cameras outside their house. Had a nice little screen shot of the guy and was sent to the neighborhood security thing. That dude got caught. SimpliSafe, whole home security blah blah blah"

I know I'd be convinced to spend hundreds of dollars per year so that pictures of my front porch could be sent to my neighborhood security thing. What a tool.
I think you are confusing his current millionaire laziness with how hard he worked to actually get to where he is. I give this guy a ton of credit for making a nitch for himself and going and getting it. He put in a lot of work to get where he is and now he is living off the empire he built. He may be lazy now because he can be but I wouldn't conisder him to be a guy that just lucked into his fortune. He definitely earned it.

Nope, I totally agree with you. He worked HARD to get where he is. Now he just doesn't care much. The laziness of not caring enough to think of actual words and instead just throws in "thing" is astounding to me. I believe on the same episode he described a defensive player throwing the ball carrier down on the "thing." He meant the field. Can't come up with the word "field"? That's one thing, but to not care enough to read the advertiser's copy or use real words when ad-libbing for them? C'mon. I still listen to the Sal podcasts, it's just one more thing that annoys me about him.

He is was a PROFESSIONAL writer. He talks for hours per week on a stupid podcast that offers nothing but distraction and yet has made him a fractional billionaire. And still, he can't be bothered to come up with correct words so he just uses "thing" in place of the correct word. He is MAYBE the laziest partial billionaire in history.

Advertisement: "....Let me tell you why I love it. We just had somebody two blocks away - we had a package stealer in our 'extended neighborhood' [:bored:], somebody who was going up and down...guess who caught him?! The person who had SimpliSafe cameras outside their house. Had a nice little screen shot of the guy and was sent to the neighborhood security thing. That dude got caught. SimpliSafe, whole home security blah blah blah"

I know I'd be convinced to spend hundreds of dollars per year so that pictures of my front porch could be sent to my neighborhood security thing. What a tool.
I think you are confusing his current millionaire laziness with how hard he worked to actually get to where he is. I give this guy a ton of credit for making a nitch for himself and going and getting it. He put in a lot of work to get where he is and now he is living off the empire he built. He may be lazy now because he can be but I wouldn't conisder him to be a guy that just lucked into his fortune. He definitely earned it.

Nope, I totally agree with you. He worked HARD to get where he is. Now he just doesn't care much. The laziness of not caring enough to think of actual words and instead just throws in "thing" is astounding to me. I believe on the same episode he described a defensive player throwing the ball carrier down on the "thing." He meant the field. Can't come up with the word "field"? That's one thing, but to not care enough to read the advertiser's copy or use real words when ad-libbing for them? C'mon. I still listen to the Sal podcasts, it's just one more thing that annoys me about him.
not sure how old you are, i'm late 40s, Simmons is early-mid 50s.

words just sometimes.... escape me. more and more as i get older, too. i'm sure he's not resistant to aging. **** happens.

Someone might have said this already earlier in the thread, but it's pretty hilarious that Bill used to just tear into Rick Reilly regularly, and now he's basically become the same guy (old and a bit out of touch, has enough money not to care anymore, mailing in columns, etc.).
I guess we'll just watch this cycle over and over again - the Pardon My Take guys seem to be keenly aware that it's their fate, maybe that helps them hold it off longer.

Someone might have said this already earlier in the thread, but it's pretty hilarious that Bill used to just tear into Rick Reilly regularly, and now he's basically become the same guy (old and a bit out of touch, has enough money not to care anymore, mailing in columns, etc.).
I guess we'll just watch this cycle over and over again - the Pardon My Take guys seem to be keenly aware that it's their fate, maybe that helps them hold it off longer.

Wilbon is a waste of oxygen. Kornheiser (who I think Simmons fancies himself after) at least knows he's done. But he's still smart enough and cares enough not to be intellectually lazy. Which is wear Dumb Billy falls short.

words just sometimes.... escape me. more and more as i get older, too. i'm sure he's not resistant to aging. **** happens.

Fair. But there are tons of guys his age who have not just shipped it in intellectually. They say lots of words and aren't lazy about it.

I'm not even angry. I'm just disappointed (for the last 10 years or so).

Fair. But there are tons of guys his age who have not just shipped it in intellectually. They say lots of words and aren't lazy about it.

i dunno. i'm not following that many podcasts or broadcasters.

show fills a niche for me. warts and all.

then, if something bothers me i just don't listen/watch. if he has a guest on that i don't like (Schraeger), i just pass on that episode or segment. i also don't listen to Howard Stern and Joe Rogan at all. listening to be angry or annoyed isn't my deal. too many other options on the dial.

i dunno. i'm not following that many podcasts or broadcasters.

show fills a niche for me. warts and all.

then, if something bothers me i just don't listen/watch. if he has a guest on that i don't like (Schraeger), i just pass on that episode or segment. i also don't listen to Howard Stern and Joe Rogan at all. listening to be angry or annoyed isn't my deal. too many other options on the dial.
Yeah I'm the same. I'm in a number of pick em pools against the spread, and gamble on individual games pretty regularly, so the Guess the Lines podcast is great for me as I intentionally don't look at the week ahead until I listen to the podcast and play along with them. This helps me to identify where I'm a couple points off from Vegas and I can then evaluate why and see whether that creates an edge for me. I also assume Sal and Simmons are the "regular public better" and assume their takes will often coincide with the public line movement.

Never caught this thread until now. I have always like Simmons' perspective, which started for me with his writing a long time ago. I enjoy listening to his podcasts. IMO he is a reasonably well informed sports fan who is talking to other reasonably well informed sports fans in a casual way similar to how I would talk to my friends about sports. That appeals to me.

I certainly don't agree with all of his opinions, but I like the format of his podcasts; the topics he chooses and the depth he and his guests choose to go into them; and I like most of the guests. I am a more serious/deeper sports fan than most of my IRL friends, which is a reason I value the podcasts.

I couldn't care less if he says "thing" instead of "field" or whatever. I'm not looking for a journalist in his podcasts, I'm looking for quality conversation with knowledgeable sports fans who talk casually like I do with my friends. IMO he delivers that for the most part. :thumbup:

Never caught this thread until now. I have always like Simmons' perspective, which started for me with his writing a long time ago. I enjoy listening to his podcasts. IMO he is a reasonably well informed sports fan who is talking to other reasonably well informed sports fans in a casual way similar to how I would talk to my friends about sports. That appeals to me.

I certainly don't agree with all of his opinions, but I like the format of his podcasts; the topics he chooses and the depth he and his guests choose to go into them; and I like most of the guests. I am a more serious/deeper sports fan than most of my IRL friends, which is a reason I value the podcasts.

I couldn't care less if he says "thing" instead of "field" or whatever. I'm not looking for a journalist in his podcasts, I'm looking for quality conversation with knowledgeable sports fans who talk casually like I do with my friends. IMO he delivers that for the most part. :thumbup:
as much as he does hit on the topics of the day, you can also hear him talk about the 80s 76ers. or the ABA. or Milt Newton's jumper.

so much better than sports shows acting like they're being forced at gunpoint to talk about the Lakers for the 30th straight episode.

So it’s not just me….

Simmons schtick was that he was the young, hip guy with all the clever pop culture references. He is the age now that Peter Gammons, Len Pasquarelli and Chris Berman were when he arrived at ESPN.

Simmons could mock Chris Berman for referring to Andre Rison using the title of a song that was released in 1969 (the year Simmons was born), but when he drops a Beverley Hills 90210 remark, there is a thirty-year old out there who feels the exact same way about him.

Simmons schtick was that he was the young, hip guy with all the clever pop culture references. He is the age now that Peter Gammons, Len Pasquarelli and Chris Berman were when he arrived at ESPN.

Simmons could mock Chris Berman for referring to Andre Rison using the title of a song that was released in 1969 (the year Simmons was born), but when he drops a Beverley Hills 90210 remark, there is a thirty-year old out there who feels the exact same way about him.
Such is the cycle of life. You expect or want him dropping references to Polo G and Bridgerton?

I like and listen. But the real positive is the platform given to Russillo, who is consistently excellent and I find does a really good job interviewing people from all paths.

Wilbon is a waste of oxygen. Kornheiser (who I think Simmons fancies himself after) at least knows he's done. But he's still smart enough and cares enough not to be intellectually lazy. Which is wear Dumb Billy falls short.
Pardon My Take = Big Cat and PFT Commenter.

I like and listen. But the real positive is the platform given to Russillo, who is consistently excellent and I find does a really good job interviewing people from all paths.
they're a good blend. i feel like mostly because they're both passionate about sports but also because they keep each other from rambling on too much.

both of them could filibuster for an hour, easy. and Russillo i think could do it without taking a breath. but he's a good snarky balance for when Simmons is bringing up the Celtics or Patriots again. they're an entertaining twosome.

I still listen to Russillo pretty much every episode. I've been listening to him since his early NBA pod days. But I do find myself skipping his opening diatribe more and more often to get to whoever the guest is. And I do enjoy life advice.

The appeal of Simmons to me from the beginning was that it reminded me of me and my buddies, you know, regular people, just talking sports. And good for him, but he's so far from a regular guy now that he's become a bit insufferable and un-relatable. I pretty much only listen as my insomnia podcast now, when I wake up in the middle of the night and my mind won't shut off. It gives me something to focus on to quiet my thoughts that I can also easily fall asleep to because it's just rarely that interesting.

I like Bill Simmons. I think he's quite entertaining. But his propensity to declare season long truths after 1 week is ... comical.
listened to his post week 1 NFL pod and had a chuckle when he said "so i was pretty much right about all my predictions for this season..." like he was doing the year-end wrap up.

Cousin Sal is back and I’m a happy man. I think I’ve gotten more entertainment out of Guess the Lines over the years over any other piece of media I regularly consume
Sal is so awesome and handles Bill perfectly. Their Guess the Lines is the only podcast that I have ever went out of my way to listen to.

The appeal of Simmons to me from the beginning was that it reminded me of me and my buddies, you know, regular people, just talking sports.
The appeal to me is how stupid he is about sports. And how funny Sal is.
I don't listen for the gambling advice. I listen to them attempt to justify their gambling positions while continuing to be not-very-good at gambling. That is the part that is relatable and good entertainment in my book.

The appeal of Simmons to me from the beginning was that it reminded me of me and my buddies, you know, regular people, just talking sports.
The appeal to me is how stupid he is about sports. And how funny Sal is.
This, although when Simmons proposes an idea for Sal to be funny (i.e., make fun of Simmons), it can't possibly work out, can it? I mean, Bill McAfee?
I trust in Sal to make it funny next week.

Still listening to the Cousin Sal Guessing Lines pods.

NBA over/under team wins with RR and Screamin Joe House worth listening to. My largest complaint continues to be when Bill says he thinks a team might not be bad, but instead might be "gehd." WTF is wrong with this guy's pronunciation?!?!

Still listening to the Cousin Sal Guessing Lines pods.

NBA over/under team wins with RR and Screamin Joe House worth listening to. My largest complaint continues to be when Bill says he thinks a team might not be bad, but instead might be "gehd." WTF is wrong with this guy's pronunciation?!?!

This is your largest complaint, and you feel compelled to actually post it here? :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread