What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The cocktail thread (2 Viewers)

Heading to a party where I have been promised top shelf manhattans and martinis so dirty they'd make make Harvey Weinstein blush. My hopes are high for the night.

Heading to a party where I have been promised top shelf manhattans and martinis so dirty they'd make make Harvey Weinstein blush. My hopes are high for the night.
I’ve never made a Manhattan but need to do so tomorrow and I want them to be good. What brands of whiskey/vermouth/etc. should I be looking for?

I’ve never made a Manhattan but need to do so tomorrow and I want them to be good. What brands of whiskey/vermouth/etc. should I be looking for?
Buffalo Trace is a good bourbon since it drinks straight and mixes well. Bulliet Rye is a good value as well. I prefer ryes in mixed drinks since they aren't as sweet. Vermouth, needs to be sweet. Other than that, I'm not too picky. Martini brand is fine imo. 

So this is highly personal. I subscribe to the cheap rye ( Rittenhouse) / expensive vermouth (carpana antica) school.  But I’ve actually had a great Manhattan with Matini & Rossi and a super expensive Whistlepig. I’d never use that expensive a rye at home.  

Weirdly, I think Bulleit Bourbon has more rye spice on the palate than their rye. 

Endless riffing opportunities:

3 parts rye (I like Bulleit; get a handle at Costco for $34 or so)

1 part Antica (get at Costco for $26)

1 part Cointreau, or Grand Marnier, or Luxardo Maraschino (called a Redhook), or yellow Chartreuse (called a Greenpoint)

Dash orange bitters.

Serve over ice, or shake and serve.

Add orange peel and/or Luxardo Cherries (don't eff around with the cheap bings or maraschinos)

Can't wait to try the Paper Plane and the Aviation. :thumbup:
The Employees Only Manhattan uses Cointreau. It’s delicious.  The Greenpoint is my favorite Manhattan variation. 

Thanks for the info guys. Went with:

Bullet/Antica Carpano/Angostura bitters/Luxardo cherries

Manhattan at the get together was Buffalo Trace, Dolin Rouge, angostura bitters, a dash of some kind of cherry liquor- no cherry. Tasted great. Martini was Hendricks, Dolin Dry, some kind of olive juice he made and 3 olives. He was right, it was insanely dirty. Maybe too dirty though. 

Can we build a collective list of liqueurs, apertifs and such for the comprehensive bar?

Aperol

Amaro

Luxardo

St Germain 

Lillet Blanc

Benedictine

Campari

Carpano Antica

Drambuie

Grand Marnier 

Chatreuese

Galliano

Amaretto

Ancho Reyes

Pimm’s

Kahlua

Creme de Cacao

Creme de Violette

Last edited by a moderator:
What are we making this weekend? Came across this , just made the batter for Cabin Fevers and bought all needed for Candy Cane Mountains. Also got Tommy Guns and Manhattens ready to go. Something for everyone Christmas Eve I think. 

My stepdad seldom drinks but likes scotch on occasion, so I made Rob Roys tonight. Never had one before and never cared much for scotch but it's fantastic. Actually better than a Manhattan imo. 

Thx gents. I am trying to develop my taste for gin, after someone said, “it’s not that you don’t like gin. It’s tjat you don’t understand it.”  That stuck with me, so I am looking to experiment with it more. What I have noticed, at least preliminarily, is that most gin cocktails are very limited in ingredient quantities - usually no more than three. That definitely helps the noob, but I’m wondering if this is accurate or if I simply haven’t dug deep enough. Thoughts?  Prayers?

Thx gents. I am trying to develop my taste for gin, after someone said, “it’s not that you don’t like gin. It’s tjat you don’t understand it.”  That stuck with me, so I am looking to experiment with it more. What I have noticed, at least preliminarily, is that most gin cocktails are very limited in ingredient quantities - usually no more than three. That definitely helps the noob, but I’m wondering if this is accurate or if I simply haven’t dug deep enough. Thoughts?  Prayers?
I prefer simple cocktails for the most part. Anything past 4 ingredients is usually too complicated for me. I stick to the traditional drinks usually. 

Made champagne cocktails and mimosas with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice for brunch at the house. Now with the leftover grapefruit juice, I am making my brown derbys. 

Made champagne cocktails and mimosas with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice for brunch at the house. Now with the leftover grapefruit juice, I am making my brown derbys. 
Received 54 (no ####) grapefruits in the mail via Harry and David. Will be drinking derby’s, salty dogs, palomas, and greyhounds for the foreseeable future. 

Any other grapefruit drinks I should try, I’m all ears. And grapefruits. 

Received 54 (no ####) grapefruits in the mail via Harry and David. Will be drinking derby’s, salty dogs and greyhounds for the foreseeable future. 

Any other grapefruit drinks I should try, I’m all ears. And grapefruits. 
I always buy a huge box this time of year (school group does it as a fundraiser). 

You could make Palomas with the fresh grapefruit juice and a splash of club soda in place of grapefruit soda. 

I'm a beer guy, so a local brewed lager with: tomato juice, one dill pickle spear, one spicy pickled hot pepper, three spicy pickled cocktail onions with habanero, and a solid dash of Horsetooth Hot Sauce - Rubin's XXX. 

This is my cocktail. Lol 

I'm a beer guy, so a local brewed lager with: tomato juice, one dill pickle spear, one spicy pickled hot pepper, three spicy pickled cocktail onions with habanero, and a solid dash of Horsetooth Hot Sauce - Rubin's XXX. 

This is my cocktail. Lol 
Great hangover cure

Corpse Reviver II (I think I pimped this earlier in this thread)

Mixology party on Saturday, where each guest is tasked with bringing their own craft cocktail.  Feeling lazy.  Any super-unknown-and-delicous recipes out there?

Mixology party on Saturday, where each guest is tasked with bringing their own craft cocktail.  Feeling lazy.  Any super-unknown-and-delicous recipes out there?
If only there was a place here where people posted their cocktail recipes.

If only there was a place here where people posted their cocktail recipes.
Vast majority in this thread (admittedly, not all) are classic cocktails.  Not originals.  If I can find the recipe in google, it doesn't count.

Assuming juice is allowed, try this;

1 shot light rum, splash of apricot brandy, mix with pineapple juice.

Vast majority in this thread (admittedly, not all) are classic cocktails.  Not originals.  If I can find the recipe in google, it doesn't count.
Fair enough. Can it be your take on a classic cocktail? Do you know how to make simple syrups?

Ah I missed that, you allowed to swap something (bourbon in place of gin, cherry  liquor in place of triple sec or something)

or infusions?  

I did a peach iced tea before by putting honey and tea bags in a mason jar of bourbon and then adding some peach schnapps (or creme de peche)

Ah I missed that, you allowed to swap something (bourbon in place of gin, cherry  liquor in place of triple sec or something)

or infusions?  

I did a peach iced tea before by putting honey and tea bags in a mason jar of bourbon and then adding some peach schnapps (or creme de peche)
Thx.  Yeah, I assume modifications are allowed.  I'm leaning toward some type of sour, with two additional ingredients - a la paper plane or last word.  

Fair enough. Can it be your take on a classic cocktail? Do you know how to make simple syrups?
Yes, and yes.  Also learned a trade tip to SS (perhaps old news) - don't boil it as you can't get the exact proportions consistent from batch to batch due to evaporation.  Just 50/50, and put in fridge for 30 minutes.

Yes, and yes.  Also learned a trade tip to SS (perhaps old news) - don't boil it as you can't get the exact proportions consistent from batch to batch due to evaporation.  Just 50/50, and put in fridge for 30 minutes.
I don't ever get it near boiling, just warm it enough to dissolve the sugar or honey. 

- An Old Fashioned variation

It's a mix of an OF and a Brown Derby. I don't have any cool name for it

2 oz Bourbon/Rye

1teaspoon of honey simple syrup (equal parts honey and water)

a few dashes of hopped grapefruit bitters  (regular orange bitters would be good too I am sure)

- rocks glass on ice garnish with orange/grapefruit rind

- Capra 

2 oz rye/bourbon

1teaspoon of strawberry and fennel simple syrup 

a few dashes of Averna Amaro bitters

- rocks glass on ice

This is my favorite craft cocktail and, beware, it does require a lot of crafting, but it's worth it and it's not rocket science. You can prepare the spice/lime/bitters mix and the alcohol mix at home ahead of time and mix them with ice in a cocktail shaker at the party:

The Merchant (per serving):

2oz bourbon
1/2oz Lillet Blanc
splash Grand Marnier
2-3 tsp jalapeno simple syrup (1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 3 chopped jalapenos. Bring all to a boil long enough for the sugar to dissolve. Cover, remove from heat and sit 30 min. Strain the peppers out. Then chill).

3 mint leaves
10 cilantro leaves
squeeze 1/2 lime
3 dash bitters

Muddle the mint and cilantro with the lime juice, jalapeno simple syrup and bitters.  Add the bourbon, Lillet Blanc and Grand Marnier.  Shake and strain into cocktail glass over crushed ice.  Delicious. 

I don't always drink craft cocktails (usually just iced gin), but when I do, I drink Merchants.

The Purge :

1 oz 101 proof Wild Turkey

1 oz Ole Tequila

1/2 oz 99 Bananas Liqueur 

1/2 oz Campari

4-5 dashes Tabasco Sauce

1/2 oz olive brine

2 oz half-and-half

3 cocktail onions, muddled with 2 packets of Sweet & Low 

Shake first 7 ingredients vigorously in a Boston shaker and serve straight up at room temperature in a rocks glass containing the muddled onions. Garnish with ham and pepper jack cheese cubes on a plastic sword. 

It's a family tradition to make a pitcher of the "triple crown" cocktails on race day.  Sipping a Black-eyed Susan right now.

Not my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread