What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Dark Knight Rises Villains Announced (1 Viewer)

Tom Hardy based his voice for Bane on Bartley Gorman (1944 - 2002), an Irish Traveller who was the undefeated Bare-knuckle boxing champion of the United Kingdom and Ireland, often referred to as the, "King of the Gypsies." He told The Hollywood Reporter, "The choice of the accent is actually a man called Bartley Gorman, who was a bare knuckle fighter. A Romani gypsy. Which I wanted to underpin the Latin, but a Romani Latin opposed to Latino. His particular accent is very specific, which was a gypsy accent. So that's why it was difficult to understand. But once you tune into it, you get it. I hope."

Tom Hardy based his voice for Bane on Bartley Gorman (1944 - 2002), an Irish Traveller who was the undefeated Bare-knuckle boxing champion of the United Kingdom and Ireland, often referred to as the, "King of the Gypsies." He told The Hollywood Reporter, "The choice of the accent is actually a man called Bartley Gorman, who was a bare knuckle fighter. A Romani gypsy. Which I wanted to underpin the Latin, but a Romani Latin opposed to Latino. His particular accent is very specific, which was a gypsy accent. So that's why it was difficult to understand. But once you tune into it, you get it. I hope."
That's really cool. Unfortunately, that voice does not match that bad-### villain.

That hole in the ground prison was dumb when you think about it. Ok, they can run a rope almost near the top for safety reasons. So why not climb up to the point of the jump, and once you are there, haul the ENTIRE safety rope up to that ledge, add some weight, jury rig a makeshift anchor, and then toss it from that ledge to the top of the hole. Then climb out easily? :confused:
Or, I don't know, maybe have a bunch of people climb up there and have them get on each others shoulders?
The prison is obviously supposed to act as a metaphor for the well he falls in as a child to discover the Batcave, so the logistics of it as an actual prison are going to leave a lot to be desired. I was bothered less by the escape from the prison than by Wayne's unexplained time getting back to the United States and back into Gotham.
This and the rushed love story were two of my main issues. And why was Wayne using a cane, and then all of a sudden a bad ### again?
Seriously, guys? You want to watch 5-10min of Bruce Wayne buying airplane tickets and flying back to Gotham? And you missed the part where he used that crazy knee-brace to fix his disability (hence, no cane)?Talk about nit-picking...
He was in some south american country and then suddenly is strolling down the street and happens to run into catwoman. I'm not saying I wanted to see all the details of how he got there, just that it was far fetched based on what we knew about Gotham at that point. And yes, I saw the knee thing. I'm questioning why he needed to be injured in the first place for the story.
I think it's safe to say that some time passed between him being in the South American country and getting to Gotham. The movie was already 3 hours long...is it really THAT important for you to be given details about his trip back? Really?He needed to be injured in the first place to show the damage that fighting crime had done to his body. It was pretty important, in my opinion, to show that he's not some immortal bada@# that never gets injured, despite the hell he puts his body through.

If your idea of improvement would be to replace the scenes showing the toll it was taking on his body with 15 minutes of going through baggage checks and airport security, I'm glad you weren't involved ;)
Asking this again because I never got the impression that the prison was in some South American country. Always thought it was in Gotham, no? If not, when did he first leave Gotham to get to SA?

That hole in the ground prison was dumb when you think about it. Ok, they can run a rope almost near the top for safety reasons. So why not climb up to the point of the jump, and once you are there, haul the ENTIRE safety rope up to that ledge, add some weight, jury rig a makeshift anchor, and then toss it from that ledge to the top of the hole. Then climb out easily? :confused:
Or, I don't know, maybe have a bunch of people climb up there and have them get on each others shoulders?
The prison is obviously supposed to act as a metaphor for the well he falls in as a child to discover the Batcave, so the logistics of it as an actual prison are going to leave a lot to be desired. I was bothered less by the escape from the prison than by Wayne's unexplained time getting back to the United States and back into Gotham.
This and the rushed love story were two of my main issues. And why was Wayne using a cane, and then all of a sudden a bad ### again?
Seriously, guys? You want to watch 5-10min of Bruce Wayne buying airplane tickets and flying back to Gotham? And you missed the part where he used that crazy knee-brace to fix his disability (hence, no cane)?Talk about nit-picking...
He was in some south american country and then suddenly is strolling down the street and happens to run into catwoman. I'm not saying I wanted to see all the details of how he got there, just that it was far fetched based on what we knew about Gotham at that point. And yes, I saw the knee thing. I'm questioning why he needed to be injured in the first place for the story.
I think it's safe to say that some time passed between him being in the South American country and getting to Gotham. The movie was already 3 hours long...is it really THAT important for you to be given details about his trip back? Really?He needed to be injured in the first place to show the damage that fighting crime had done to his body. It was pretty important, in my opinion, to show that he's not some immortal bada@# that never gets injured, despite the hell he puts his body through.

If your idea of improvement would be to replace the scenes showing the toll it was taking on his body with 15 minutes of going through baggage checks and airport security, I'm glad you weren't involved ;)
Asking this again because I never got the impression that the prison was in some South American country. Always thought it was in Gotham, no? If not, when did he first leave Gotham to get to SA?
Im not sure it was South America, but The Pit Prison was 100% not in the united states, let alone gotham.

In the comic books, Bane was from South America. I suppose the prison was there as well. I don't think it was said exactly where the prison was tho.

Latino leprechaun?That's a first.

In the comic books, Bane was from South America. I suppose the prison was there as well. I don't think it was said exactly where the prison was tho.
I think the prison was located "in an ancient part of the world" with no other description. Not sure who Chase is referring to as when he asks how he gets to the prison. Bruce Wayne is taken to the prison by Bane. Bane is taken to the prison initially probably because he is the worst of the bad in an ancient sort of way.

Not sure where the prison is supposed to be (my impression was the Middle East somewhere) but it was filmed at Mehrangarh Fort in India.More about the prison from IMDB:

The Pit Prison where Bruce Wayne is imprisoned after his initial encounter with Bane is stated to have originally been a place where plague victims were sent to avoid contaminating the population. In ancient times, such places were known as Lazarettes, referring to the famous Biblical leper Lazarus, whom Jesus raised from the dead. This is a literalization of the Lazarus Pit, which in the original Batman comics is where Ra's Al Ghul bathes to keep his also literal immortality. Thus, when characters escape the Pit Prison in the film, they are said to have "risen."

Last edited by a moderator:

I think the prison was located "in an ancient part of the world" with no other description. Not sure who Chase is referring to as when he asks how he gets to the prison. Bruce Wayne is taken to the prison by Bane. Bane is taken to the prison initially probably because he is the worst of the bad in an ancient sort of way.
Isn't every place in the world equally ancient?

I had to look this guy up -

one thing nolan doesnt know how to do is voices. between batmans growl and banes robotic sean connery i dont know which was worse
Agreed. That was my biggest knock from TDK and Rises. Otherwise good movies.
Funny you guys say that...my wife and I always said Bale "speaks in growl"...a couple of times I asked her to "Paaasss me the saaaltah" at dinner....that did not last too long. :kicksrock:
I thought the hushed tone from BB was well done. He sounded mysterious. In TDK when he's trying to have a meaningful conversation with the joker or Dent, he's out of breath and still trying to maintain the growling voice. It was distracting.

Saw it again and the biggest problem with this movie is the sound. The volume not only drowned out Bane more than a couple of times, it drowned out Talia near the end as well as Batman. The sound guy should never be hired in Hollywood again. Terrible.
I thought the same thing, but thought it might have had something to do with the IMAX I was at...like their surround sound was screwed up.Sound was way off.
Sound was VERY loud at the IMAX I was at, seemed like people could easily get tinnitus it was so dang loud.

I guess I totally missed it, I assume the Pit Prison was just underground in Gotham. I don't recall Bane "taking" him there. They met in the sewers underneath Gotham, they fought, Bane broke his back, and then I thought he locked him up. Don't remember him ever leaving Gotham, although yes when they did flashbacks the Pit certainly seemed to be in the middle east or south america or somewhere like that. :confused:

'matuski said:
'jdoggydogg said:
The movie was really cool, but yeah, Bane's voice is lame.
I keep seeing this complaint, and I find it ironic considering my biggest complaint in the entire trilogy is Batman's voice. ;)
I'm in the minority that thought Bane's accent was cool. Made him unique. The last thing the movie needed was another character who growled.

I guess I totally missed it, I assume the Pit Prison was just underground in Gotham. I don't recall Bane "taking" him there. They met in the sewers underneath Gotham, they fought, Bane broke his back, and then I thought he locked him up. Don't remember him ever leaving Gotham, although yes when they did flashbacks the Pit certainly seemed to be in the middle east or south america or somewhere like that. :confused:
http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Lazarus_PitArabia it seems (at least in the comics).

:confused: Did you not see the landscape around the pit when batman escaped? It was definitely nothing remotely similar to Gotham. Seemed pretty obvious it was implied that Bane kidnapped him and flew him out to the prison to remotely watch Gotham be destroyed.

I was actually surprised how intelligible Bane was. After hearing the horror stories and seeing previews I was expecting the worst, but I don't think I missed any dialogue. I wonder if that is very theater specific. I know it is for brightness.

As far the pit prison, I never even imagined it was in Gotham. Was clearly Middle East/Arabia IMO

:confused: Did you not see the landscape around the pit when batman escaped? It was definitely nothing remotely similar to Gotham. Seemed pretty obvious it was implied that Bane kidnapped him and flew him out to the prison to remotely watch Gotham be destroyed.
It's been a week since I saw the movie now, but no, I don't remember thinking that. I certainly didn't think that there was an implied international flight with a kidnapped masked crusader. If that was the point, Nolan should have made that more obvious.

'matuski said:
'jdoggydogg said:
I keep seeing this complaint, and I find it ironic considering my biggest complaint in the entire trilogy is Batman's voice. ;)
Batman's hiss was a huge mistake. I find it very distracting.As for Bane,

'matuski said:
'jdoggydogg said:
I'm in the minority that thought Bane's accent was cool. Made him unique. The last thing the movie needed was another character who growled.
I liked the voice, but I don't think it was at all the right voice for that character.

Saw it again last night. I liked it much better the second time around and the audio was vastly improved. Must be a function of what theater is showing it.

Oh, and Blake is supposed to be the next Batman, not Robin. They show him exploring the Batcave around a shot of Gordon excitedly examining the new Batsignal.

It's been a week since I saw the movie now, but no, I don't remember thinking that. I certainly didn't think that there was an implied international flight with a kidnapped masked crusader. If that was the point, Nolan should have made that more obvious.
Again with this? Do they really need to spend another 5 minutes in an alrady 3 hour long movie to explain how Batman was transported there? Who cares? Does it really advance the storyline in any way?I guess for the one person on earth who saw that desert landscape and ancient prison and assumed it was the Gotham cityscape and sewer, maybe so. For the other 99% of us, no, it's not necessary.Do you guys need to be told what Batman had for breakfast every morning too? The movie never shows whether he eats bacon and eggs or Cherrios. OUTRAGE!

With the way the ending was... Talia made mention of her private plane earlier in the movie. 2 + 2 made me think that Bane used Talia's plane to escort Bruce to the pit. Then, when Bane returned, all hell broke loose in Gotham.

I can't believe anybody could watch that movie and think that pit is in Gotham.
I'm pretty sure it was just under an old fountain in (Gotham) Central Park. Surprised a hot dog or balloon vendor didn't hear all those guys chanting "RISE!" in a foreign language. Maybe he just thought they were cabbies offering "RIDES!".

Again with this? Do they really need to spend another 5 minutes in an alrady 3 hour long movie to explain how Batman was transported there? Who cares? Does it really advance the storyline in any way?I guess for the one person on earth who saw that desert landscape and ancient prison and assumed it was the Gotham cityscape and sewer, maybe so. For the other 99% of us, no, it's not necessary.Do you guys need to be told what Batman had for breakfast every morning too? The movie never shows whether he eats bacon and eggs or Cherrios. OUTRAGE!
So Batman is in an underground pit in Saudia Arabia, breaks away, and then how exactly does he get to Gotham? No one is allowed in or out of Gotham, so I think that's a legitimate question. And Fox and all of his resources are tied up with Bane, no?

So Batman is in an underground pit in Saudia Arabia, breaks away, and then how exactly does he get to Gotham? No one is allowed in or out of Gotham, so I think that's a legitimate question. And Fox and all of his resources are tied up with Bane, no?
He's freaking Batman, dude.Also, anyone notice that he kicks the rope back down into the pit once he climbs out so that others can follow?

He's freaking Batman, dude.Also, anyone notice that he kicks the rope back down into the pit once he climbs out so that others can follow?
I did notice that. I assumed he snuck into the city just like how the special forces dudes got in as well.

:goodposting: In a movie which contains several considerable plot holes this is a weird thing to focus on.

:goodposting: In a movie which contains several considerable plot holes this is a weird thing to focus on.
They showed Batman going to and leaving China in the last movie. :shrug:

They showed Batman going to and leaving China in the last movie. :shrug:
It was a part of the story and considering how he did that it shouldn't be a question as to how he got back to Gotham.

Using authentic accents is bad enough. I get that they want to be real but it can be hard to understand. Growling and speaking thru masks is even worse.

Its not realistic to completely isolate a city for 3 months. The soviets walled in berlin and failed. But its a comic book movie. Whatever.

But why make Blake into Robin if Nolan is out on the series. Made no sense to me.
hated this part of the movie.
loved it. just wish we saw a glimpse of the suit before breaking to the credits
what suit? he needs to be Robin first then nightwing. beside Robin was his superhero name. **** grayson was his real name
Blake is not **** Grayson. He was not going to become "Robin." Robin was his first name according to his ID. Blake was going to become the next Batman. The suit and everything were still there. The Robin mention could have been completely left out and changed nothing. The only reason it is there is to cause another Nolan ending of "what if." MAkes it nice and open for fanfiction anyway.
I thought it was more of a nod to Blake's character being the sidekick....rather than any real attempt to link Blake to the actual character.

Which got me thinking - who pulled up the rope, and why wouldn't he just use that to pull himself up in the first place instead of tying it around his waist and jumping from rock to rock like a jackass?

Which got me thinking - who pulled up the rope, and why wouldn't he just use that to pull himself up in the first place instead of tying it around his waist and jumping from rock to rock like a jackass?
There was a rope at the top was my understanding. He didn't have a rope to climb out.

Users who are viewing this thread