What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Definitive Poll: Is DieHard a Xmas Movie? (1 Viewer)

Is DieHard a Xmas movie?

• Total voters
For those that say no, what makes It's a Wonderful Life more of a Christmas movie than Die Hard? I'll hang up and listen.
Wikipedia It's a Wonderful Life is a 1946 American Christmas supernatural drama film produced and directed by Frank Capra. It is based on the short story and booklet The Greatest Gift self-published by Philip Van Doren Stern in 1943, which itself is loosely based on the 1843 Charles Dickens novella A Christmas Carol.

I voted no.
But that's just for me as I think of a Christmas movie as 1 that celebrates or depicts the Christmas spirit, not just 1 that takes place at Christmas time.
Others can still think of it as a Christmas movie because it is for them. That's cool.

Still No.....but I'm less adamant about it than I used to be. I think it's a movie that is set during Christmas; not unlike Leathal Weapon, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands or L.A. Confidental.

That being said, the idea of a man wanting to be back with his family during the holidays and going thru a journey to reinforce or realize what is important in life is a theme of Christmas movies. It's sort of in there with The Ref.

As long as the insipid song "Last Christmas" is considered a Christmas song, Die Hard will be a Christmas movie.

We just saw it in the theater this last Sunday. It was awesome.

Besides, the plot is essentially "the savior descends from on high to rescue the poor captured souls". Come to think of it, maybe it's an Easter movie.

People consider Home Alone a Christmas movie. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is a Thanksgiving movie.

So yeah - yippee ki yay, Mr. Falcon!

I voted "No" and like other Noes have mentioned I lean that way because the theme really has nothing to do with Christmas at all. The ol' Potter Stewart I know it when I see it test applies here I think, though, rather than a strict listing of checkboxes that make a film fall one way or the other.

Incidentally, I suspect there is large overlap between "hotdog is a sandwich" and yes on this poll.

Does Bad Santa not count as a Xmas movie if the theme needs to be about Christmas? Two guys scheme to rob a shopping mall. Lots of redeeming family values to praise in that one. Sure, the bad guys wear Santa and elf outfits. And Santa defiles a woman in a dressing room. I guess the meaning of Christmas is to steal as much as you can for the holidays.

Nah.

Just because a film is set around Christmastime doesn't mean it is a Christmas one.
This is where I stand.

It's an action movie that just so happens to be set during a Christmas party. The definition of "Christmas movie" goes beyond setting.

Nah.

Just because a film is set around Christmastime doesn't mean it is a Christmas one.
This is where I stand.

It's an action movie that just so happens to be set during a Christmas party. The definition of "Christmas movie" goes beyond setting.
I don't know how many more things I can point out?

Even McClane's wife is named "Holly."

Bruce Willis himself said no in 2018

But the director of Die-Hard said it was informed by It’s A Wonderful Life.

Bruce Willis himself said no in 2018

But the director of Die-Hard said it was informed by It’s A Wonderful Life.

yeah yeah, but bubbie, who would win in the debate, the director :rolleyes: orrrrrr John friggin' McClane???

Voted yes: set during Christmas season and Christmas Party. Has musical and dialogue references to the holiday and despite the violence, it really does have a holiday theme. Exhusband trying to reunite his family and then having to save his wife, win her back while also making a deep connection with a new acquaintance.

I've seen it about 50 times and it was only just this last time that I figured out that because "Bill Clay" worked on the 29th floor and the party was on the executive 30th floor that John knew "Bill" was lying and that it was actually Hans.

That and the way he held his cigarette like some Euro trash.

I've seen it about 50 times and it was only just this last time that I figured out that because "Bill Clay" worked on the 29th floor and the party was on the executive 30th floor that John knew "Bill" was lying and that it was actually Hans.

I've always noticed it but you are telling me that bill working on 29 wouldn't be invited to the Christmas party on 30?

I just assumed John was just being a smart cop

I've always noticed it but you are telling me that bill working on 29 wouldn't be invited to the Christmas party on 30?

I just assumed John was just being a smart cop
:shrug:
I dunno. I've just always wondered why they made a point of showing it. So I'm going with it.

Along those lines, when John is looking up Holly's name on the touchscreen only AFTER he fumbles around does the security guy say "30th floor, they're the only ones left in the building". YOU COULD'VE TOLD ME THAT RIGHT AWAY! :hot:

It’s a Christmas movie for me because this is the only time of year I watch it.

Watching it last year I came to the conclusion Christmas movie or not. It’s one of the best movies of all time and probably in my top five. I can’t think of many more movies that I could watch over and over like I can with Diehard.

Christmas isn't an essential theme in the movie. It's a movie that takes place in December but could have taken place in July and it wouldn't have changed the theme of the movie. Therefore it's not a "Christmas" movie.
This whole debate is dumb (like "Is a hot dog a sandwich?"), but this is a good explanation for why a lot of us don't see this as a Christmas movie. It's a movie (a good movie) set during Christmas, but that's just incidental.

Summer time theme:
“Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and Chevrolet. - Now I have a machine gun!"

Spring time theme:
"April showers, bring May flowers - Now I have a machine gun!"

Fall Theme:
"Trick or Treat - Now I have a machine gun!"

I haven't actually watched it in years but that will change soon. DVR set...

I wonder if we could settle on a compromise of "It may not be a Christmas movie but it's a good Christmas tradition."

The description of the former is subjective but the latter is just simple fact.

Users who are viewing this thread