What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Definitive Poll: Is DieHard a Xmas Movie? (1 Viewer)

Is DieHard a Xmas movie?

• Total voters
There are two types of people in this world:

-People who know that Die Hard is a Christmas movie
-People who are wrong

I once dressed up as John McClane for a Christmas costume party and won "honorable mention" because one of the judges was in the latter category above.

Last edited:
One of my all time favorite Christmas moments. My son was either in 8th or 9th grade so still excited by Christmas but not a little kid any more. It's Christmas eve, his gifts are all wrapped and under the tree, Mom is asleep so it's just Dad and the kiddo. It's about 11 or 12, it's heavily snowing, I'm on the sofa watching tv, our son strolls out and says "I know it's stupid but I'm excited and I can't sleep." He's still like that and he's 19 now which I find hilarious!

Anyway, I said "okay, I will show you a true, classic, Christmas movie - Die Hard!" He still talks about that, how much he loved that and how he still thinks of that as a Christmas movie. Clearly, I've done my job properly.

For those that say no, what makes It's a Wonderful Life more of a Christmas movie than Die Hard? I'll hang up and listen.
In my estimation, it's not a Christmas movie either.

Hey, I'm all in favor of inducting higher quality of movies into the genre, so if that means Die Hard, Edward Scissorhands, Lethal Weapon, Trading Places, Mean Girls, Better Off Dead, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, LA Confidential, and In Bruges start edging out Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, and all that holiday dreck that gets pushed out by Lifetime and Hallmark, then praise God.

But... actual Christmas movies revolve around Santa, the birth of Jesus, the Christmas spirit, or the nostalgia of Christmas time.

"Let it Snow Let it Snow Let it Snow"

The soundtrack is mostly Christmas music when they play a tune, the action revolves around a Christmas party in a building that gets overtaken by terrorists/thieves.
It's a pure action movie that just happens to take place on X-mas

Pretty sure Die Hard 2 also has a Christmas time theme at the airport.
The makers of Die Hard had a very good sense of humor so it's probably something they thought about

Not everyone enjoys the Miracle on 34th Street or Elf every 5 seconds during the Christmas run up.
I do happen to like Elf but just once a year is PLENTY

Die Hard is a Christmas Movie: Set at a Christmas party. Christmas themes (Protagonist trying to reconcile with his wife and kids for the holidays, seems like the Christmas spirit to me). Christmas music. Side character redemption arc. Several mentions of Christmas characters and items. Ho Ho Ho now I have a machine gun.

Die Hard 2 is NOT a Christmas movie. Simply an airport action movie set at Christmas time. No Christmas themes (he and his wife flying separately to see her family?), other than a joke about stealing presents and one about Santa flying by, no Christmasy stuff thrown about. This is one that, as others mentioned above, could be happening anytime.

Lethal Weapon is in the same category as Die Hard 2.

Die Hard is a Christmas Movie: Set at a Christmas party. Christmas themes (Protagonist trying to reconcile with his wife and kids for the holidays, seems like the Christmas spirit to me). Christmas music. Side character redemption arc. Several mentions of Christmas characters and items. Ho Ho Ho now I have a machine gun.

Die Hard 2 is NOT a Christmas movie. Simply an airport action movie set at Christmas time. No Christmas themes (he and his wife flying separately to see her family?), other than a joke about stealing presents and one about Santa flying by, no Christmasy stuff thrown about. This is one that, as others mentioned above, could be happening anytime.

Lethal Weapon is in the same category as Die Hard 2.
Mr Joshua Heart grew 3 sizes and ended up with 2 bullets in it.... Christmas!!!!

Got together with a few coworkers for lunch yesterday and afterwards we're outside talking and Christmas Eve comes up. I mention that they had to watch die hard since it was a Christmas movie and one guy said to the other "See! That's what I've been saying!"

🤣

Watched this last while I was wrapping the presents. Never gets old. Other than most of them not knowing how to hold/aim a gun and some incredibly wasteful use of ammo it’s perfect.

Nah.

Just because a film is set around Christmastime doesn't mean it is a Christmas one. Is Trading Places also a Christmas film? I mean, we did see Dan Aykroyd dressed up like Santa Claus. :P
So a movie that takes place on Christmas Eve at a company Christmas party that has multiple references and lines about the holiday is not a Christmas movie? ;)

What is a more Christmasy movie (that doesn't depict the birth of Christ)? It has:
A savior
A ton of Christmas music
Family reunion at the holidays
Gifts
Decorations
Christmas Trees
A dead Santa (sort of)
Snow. In L.A. (which I'm going to count as a borderline miracle)

His wife's name is Holly, ffs.

More a Christmas movie than any of the dreck on the Hallmark Channel.

The Ref was a go-to for awhile, but I haven't seen that in years. Black Christmas has worked it's way into my rotation too.

If I am feeling spicy I will argue movies like Eyes Wide Shut and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang belong in the conversation too. I usually don't like the family gathering around the table type Christmas movies. I watch The Ice Storm around the holidays too, but not the right holiday.

Of course it is. The PLOT isn't about Christmas, but the setting is. He's listening to RUN DMC Christmas rap on the way to a Christmas Party. Everyone is drunk and hooking up and totally caught off guard by Hans who understands it is the time of Christmas Miracles. They chose Christmas cause everyone would be distracted.
He even has a machine gun, Ho.....Ho......Ho.
He lit up the building like a Christmas Tree.
His Wife's hair looks like a Christmas tree.

I have YouTube TV and when you set something to record it'll "record" it each time it's aired until you remove it from your library. The recording I have now is from MTV and I think it'll have it in its original R rating (maybe). But soon it'll record again from Paramount and I'm not sure that'll still be the case. Can only hope. Don't think my adult son has ever seen it so hoping it's not censored.

I've seen it about 50 times and it was only just this last time that I figured out that because "Bill Clay" worked on the 29th floor and the party was on the executive 30th floor that John knew "Bill" was lying and that it was actually Hans.

That and the way he held his cigarette like some Euro trash.
I've always noticed it but you are telling me that bill working on 29 wouldn't be invited to the Christmas party on 30?

I just assumed John was just being a smart cop
:shrug:
I dunno. I've just always wondered why they made a point of showing it. So I'm going with it.

Along those lines, when John is looking up Holly's name on the touchscreen only AFTER he fumbles around does the security guy say "30th floor, they're the only ones left in the building". YOU COULD'VE TOLD ME THAT RIGHT AWAY! :hot:
So watching this morning and the corporation owns the whole building so now I think the flash to the Clay name was just to build the back and forth suspense between hans and mcclain

Last edited:
I've seen it about 50 times and it was only just this last time that I figured out that because "Bill Clay" worked on the 29th floor and the party was on the executive 30th floor that John knew "Bill" was lying and that it was actually Hans.

That and the way he held his cigarette like some Euro trash.
I've always noticed it but you are telling me that bill working on 29 wouldn't be invited to the Christmas party on 30?

I just assumed John was just being a smart cop
:shrug:
I dunno. I've just always wondered why they made a point of showing it. So I'm going with it.

Along those lines, when John is looking up Holly's name on the touchscreen only AFTER he fumbles around does the security guy say "30th floor, they're the only ones left in the building". YOU COULD'VE TOLD ME THAT RIGHT AWAY! :hot:
So watching this morning and the corporation owns the whole building so now I think the flash to the Clay name was just to build the back and forth suspense between hans and mcclain
Mc wasn't trusting ANYONE with a loaded gun in that situation imo.

Just got done watching it again. The closing credits include this song, which technically speaking isn't a Christmas song!

Watched it with the kids last night. Annual tradition. Last year we watched it from a hotel room in LA, a few hours after we drove over and visited the Nakatomi building (while I wore a t-shirt that read “Nakatomi Christmas Party 1988”).

I didn't realize this happened for the 30th anniversary of the movie's release:

Watched it with the kids last night. Annual tradition. Last year we watched it from a hotel room in LA, a few hours after we drove over and visited the Nakatomi building (while I wore a t-shirt that read “Nakatomi Christmas Party 1988”).

I didn't realize this happened for the 30th anniversary of the movie's release:

If they do it again for 40, I’m in!!!

Users who are viewing this thread