What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style: (1 Viewer)

I am so ####### out of style it's not funny.  I've recently had to purchase a whole new work wardrobe.  My only suit is one I bought back in 2003. And yes, I actually wore it for interviews.  Brown, doesn't look horrible but yeah, it's brown.  

So I need to buy a couple sports jackets, a few ties and a new suit. Without breaking the bank.  

Where is the best place to get a good looking suit for a few hundred or so?  One of my colleagues bought one online from China which he had tailored here.  That seems a viable option.  What else?  

I am so ####### out of style it's not funny.  I've recently had to purchase a whole new work wardrobe.  My only suit is one I bought back in 2003. And yes, I actually wore it for interviews.  Brown, doesn't look horrible but yeah, it's brown.  

So I need to buy a couple sports jackets, a few ties and a new suit. Without breaking the bank.  

Where is the best place to get a good looking suit for a few hundred or so?  One of my colleagues bought one online from China which he had tailored here.  That seems a viable option.  What else?  
These looks pretty nice for the price....

How much are you looking to spend for a suit? A couple of hundred is just that? Or are you open to spending upward to $500 or more? 

cuffs are another.  Read up on some fashion history....

I've never stopped putting cuffs on pants.  Ever.  And not those baby bull#### Italian 1 1/4" cuffs either.  I'm 2" cuffs, like the Brits used through the best fashion time in all of history....any time Cary Grant put on a suit.   

I'm talking dress pants now, not ####### chinos or casual pants.
Nope.

Depends how nice it is.  I don't want to go over 500 but if it massages me...
Go to the nicest Macy's in your city. You can potentially get 2 nice name brand suits for $500.
And ask when the next big sale is just in case they have deals coming up.

Unless you don't have money, quit trying so hard to save it on suits.  It's longevity, looks and performance all have price dependencies. 

Depends how nice it is.  I don't want to go over 500 but if it massages me...
I have had great success with SuitSupply. I have maybe 4-5 of theirs and they're fantastic value. Some on other budgets give props to J Crew for their suiting, which is always on sales. Always. I have had good luck with a Canadian shirt maker, Spier & Mackay, with really nice dress shirts. They do suits too. US dollar has been favorable and makes their stuff even more affordable. I tried Tyrwhitt but meh. I don't get the love for it but whatever.

cuffs are another.  Read up on some fashion history....

I've never stopped putting cuffs on pants.  Ever.  And not those baby bull#### Italian 1 1/4" cuffs either.  I'm 2" cuffs, like the Brits used through the best fashion time in all of history....any time Cary Grant put on a suit.   

I'm talking dress pants now, not ####### chinos or casual pants.
Cary always dressed classy and no doubt he had a look, but he adjusted it with the times. 

saintfool said:
I have had great success with SuitSupply. I have maybe 4-5 of theirs and they're fantastic value. Some on other budgets give props to J Crew for their suiting, which is always on sales. Always. I have had good luck with a Canadian shirt maker, Spier & Mackay, with really nice dress shirts. They do suits too. US dollar has been favorable and makes their stuff even more affordable. I tried Tyrwhitt but meh. I don't get the love for it but whatever.
I've heard a lot of good things about SuitSupply for that price point.  Haven't needed to buy a suit in a while but they're in the short list for next time.

@-OZ-

If your close to a Nordstrom, their big annual sale starts July 21st. There are some great deals there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard a lot of good things about SuitSupply for that price point.  Haven't needed to buy a suit in a while but they're in the short list for next time. 

If your close to a Nordstrom, their big annual sale starts July 21st. There are some great deals there. 
:lmao: sure enough, 89 and 90 miles from a Nordstrom.

-OZ- said:
Asking people for recommendatons isn't "trying so hard".  I want a good suit at a reasonable price and it's a lot easier to ask here than shop around much. 
I wasn't saying that to anyone in particular.  Sorry.  I'm merely stating that a cheap suit can have it's downside.

I went through the last two nights and threw away a lot of clothes.  

I must have had 100 t shirts.  Some that I wore probably 10 years ago or more.  
If everyone just went through their closet every 2 years, and threw away EVERYTHING they haven't worn in 1 year....they'd feel better about themselves.

And the less fortunate would be much better dressed

If everyone just went through their closet every 2 years, and threw away EVERYTHING they haven't owned in 1 year....they'd feel better about themselves.

And the less fortunate would be much better dressed
pretty much what i do. it's always a surprise to realize how many t-shirts and work shirts i've accumulated over the course of a year or so.

just donated about 30 total. if i had also dumped shirts that i had some sorta sentimental tie to, it would have been 50. still wearing that Johnny Gray football camp t-shirt from the 80s, though.

If everyone just went through their closet every 2 years, and threw away EVERYTHING they haven't worn in 1 year....they'd feel better about themselves.
I hear you.  I went through my closet and dumped a lot of clothes at a local resale shop.  Provided me enough to make a downpayment on a home.  

Simple white button down long sleeve cotton shirt.  Light grey pants. Medium blue linen coat.  White cotton pocket square.  Brown belt/loafers.  No socks. 
i went dark blue pocket square.. and added a matching tie to make it more wedding formal

haven't got that many compliments on my appearance in a long time. was a big hit. :thumbup:

What are you rolling with for resort footwear?  This should be a lot easier than it is.  Boat shoes overplayed.  Loafers clunky.  The right moc seemingly impossible to find.  What's the play here?

What are you rolling with for resort footwear?  This should be a lot easier than it is.  Boat shoes overplayed.  Loafers clunky.  The right moc seemingly impossible to find.  What's the play here?
There appears to be a large split in this thread on whether flip flops are ok or not......I'm in the camp of pro flip flop (full disclosure, my local weather is hot/humid all the time)

There appears to be a large split in this thread on whether flip flops are ok or not......I'm in the camp of pro flip flop (full disclosure, my local weather is hot/humid all the time)
:thumbup:

I have tan leather Brooks Brothers flip flops that are my go-to with khaki shorts and a polo in the summer. It's a tough one, dressing nicely otherwise IMO balances out the casualness of the sandals. I have Sperry tan mocs, but I like them better with jeans, no-go with shorts. Boat shoes were the play, but the now mass appeal kills them for me. 

-jb- said:
Saludos

They are super comfortable, breathe and aren't Mr Porter ridiculous. I bought a pair for last summer and got compliments. They're well made for about 2 summers before they'll fall apart.

I usually roll with some sort of canvas sneaker when flip flops aren't appropriate.  If canvas shoes aren't dressy enough for the event, then I go with pants.  I know a lot of people rock them, but loafers, boat shoes, other leather shoes just look ridiculous to me with shorts.

Tiger Fan said:
A little high for sandals but I wear OluKai's in the summer. Hot as hell in the South.  Love them. Last forever 

I usually roll with some sort of canvas sneaker when flip flops aren't appropriate.  If canvas shoes aren't dressy enough for the event, then I go with pants.  I know a lot of people rock them, but loafers, boat shoes, other leather shoes just look ridiculous to me with shorts.
That's what I wear to every FF draft.  I always thought the head shake and eye roll were because of my draft picks.

leather sandals, penny loafers, etc. + shorts is the mullet of footwear

business on the feet, party on the legs?

you're either wearing shorts and a t-shirt (polo, max) & flip flops because you're drinking/relaxing. or you're at a formal event and should be wearing pants of some sort, with appropriate footwear.

pants + flip flops are fine depending on the weather at a casual event. but never shorts and dress shoes.. or whatever the non-flip flop or sneaker options are.

leather sandals, penny loafers, etc. + shorts is the mullet of footwear

business on the feet, party on the legs?

you're either wearing shorts and a t-shirt (polo, max) & flip flops because you're drinking/relaxing. or you're at a formal event and should be wearing pants of some sort, with appropriate footwear.

pants + flip flops are fine depending on the weather at a casual event. but never shorts and dress shoes.. or whatever the non-flip flop or sneaker options are.
Spend most of my time in sandals and shorts when I'm not at work or out somewhere. It's over 90 here most days 

Users who are viewing this thread