What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style: (2 Viewers)

Anyone know of a good store (online) that has an extensive collection of nice dress shirts? I'm looking for a somewhat specific shade of brown dress shirt to go with my brown suit for my wedding.
http://www.execshirts.com/brown1-dress-shirt-man.htm
Have you purchased from this company before? Know much about their quality?Interested in the custom option.

J
Nope, don't really have any idea about them.Just did a google search at places like Brooks Brothers, etc. and realize that brown dress shirts aren't very easy to come by. So, did a google search just for brown dress shirts and honestly think getting one custom made may be his best bet.

Anyone know of a good store (online) that has an extensive collection of nice dress shirts? I'm looking for a somewhat specific shade of brown dress shirt to go with my brown suit for my wedding.
This place is pretty much the be all end all of the dress shirt.Thomas Pink\

They have a brick and mortar store in the Forum Shops @ Ceasars. Amazing variety of dress shirts.

So, what's the verdict on jean jackets? I don't have one, but don't mind the look. My main issue is what kind of pants do you wear with them? The jacket in itself is casual so would automatically lend itself to wear jean pants with it. But, you don't want to come off looking like you're wearing a full denim outfit all of the same shade.The best pant jean color is a dark wash, so would that mean the best jean jacket to get would be a lighter denim color? But to me, the jacket would look better in a dark wash, but then that doesn't work so well with all of the darker wash jeans.

Overall, I like the look, but feel the wearable options is limited. Thoughts?

They have a brick and mortar store in the Forum Shops @ Ceasars. Amazing variety of dress shirts.
Pink is solid. Not my favorite store but I'd hit them up in NYC when they had 50-75% off.

So, what's the verdict on jean jackets? I don't have one, but don't mind the look. My main issue is what kind of pants do you wear with them? The jacket in itself is casual so would automatically lend itself to wear jean pants with it. But, you don't want to come off looking like you're wearing a full denim outfit all of the same shade.The best pant jean color is a dark wash, so would that mean the best jean jacket to get would be a lighter denim color? But to me, the jacket would look better in a dark wash, but then that doesn't work so well with all of the darker wash jeans.

I think they're great on the right person. It is tough to find pants to match with. I don't feel comfortable doing the double denim look but some people can get away with it. I normally pair my denim jacket with a medium to light color pair of pants. I'd recommend trying out the jacket with various pants/jeans and seeing if it works. You may need a pair of denim suspenders to complete the look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Can I put my metallica patch on the back?
Upcoming Fall :style: Watch

1) Jean jackets

2) cuffed jeans

3) double breasted sport coats

http://manshion.net/2009/08/04/on-the-radar-for-fall-2009/
It's like High School all over again, seriously

Can I put my metallica patch on the back?
I was always more of a Megadeath guy :goodposting:

Major said:
JerseyToughGuys said:

Pink is solid. Not my favorite store but I'd hit them up in NYC when they had 50-75% off.
:blackdot:

Aaron Rudnicki said:
offdee said:
- Don't wear shorts.
in the summertime while kicking it casual?
offdee said:
- Get normal shoes that look good with shorts.
link?
Get some white Pumas to wear with your shorts. Seriously...shoes look stupid with shorts?
Pumas are a good shoe to wear with shorts. But if you have a shoe size bigger than 12. You look like you have clown feet.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
offdee said:
- Don't wear shorts.
in the summertime while kicking it casual?
offdee said:
- Get normal shoes that look good with shorts.
link?
Get some white Pumas to wear with your shorts. Seriously...shoes look stupid with shorts?
Pumas are a good shoe to wear with shorts. But if you have a shoe size bigger than 12. You look like you have clown feet.
I wear 11 so I don't know about that but I've always thought they made my feet look smaller. :shrug:

offdee said:

1) Jean jackets

2) cuffed jeans

Cuffed jeans? not so much. There's is nothing appealing about that look. You gotta be a maverick.
I agree.
The main reason the fashion world is starting to push this look is for sales. Jeans last forever so the marketing of jean styles need to be constantly evolving to make future sales.- 3 years ago overall baggy

- 2 years ago boot cut

- this year slimmer fit and straight leg

- upcoming year cuffed

The thing with cuffed jeans is you most likely need to buy new pairs to have enough length to be able to do it and have the jeans still be the appropriate length. You have nice jeans now that are the proper length, you roll the bottom of them an inch or two and now they are too short.

offdee said:

1) Jean jackets

2) cuffed jeans

Cuffed jeans? not so much. There's is nothing appealing about that look. You gotta be a maverick.
I agree.
The main reason the fashion world is starting to push this look is for sales. Jeans last forever so the marketing of jean styles need to be constantly evolving to make future sales.- 3 years ago overall baggy

- 2 years ago boot cut

- upcoming year cuffed

The thing with cuffed jeans is you most likely need to buy new pairs to have enough length to be able to do it and have the jeans still be the appropriate length. You have nice jeans now that are the proper length, you roll the bottom of them an inch or two and now they are too short.
Still hate the look. I've got a closet full of designer jeans....honestly. Just about every pair I've had tailored. I'd love to be able to just toss them on with a cuff. Just can't stand the look. Sometimes new fashion hits the mark but it often misses when something is forced.

I've got a closet full of designer jeans....honestly. Just about every pair I've had tailored.
Challenge for you.Someone tells you out of all of your pairs of jeans in your closet you can only keep 2 of them...the rest go into a fire pit.

What brand, color, style are the two pairs you keep? (if able to provide pics from the web would be excellent)

Edit to add: Major and Rocky Dennis, same question if interested in sharing.

offdee said:

1) Jean jackets

2) cuffed jeans

I agree.

- 2 years ago boot cut

- upcoming year cuffed

I've been cuffing my jeans for a few years now. Not all of them but the ones primarily from Sweden that are way too long for most Americans. I'm 5'11. I'm just too lazy to get them cut at a tailor and would rather keep them in tact.

belljr said:
offdee said:

1) Jean jackets

2) cuffed jeans

It's like High School all over again, seriously
Except this time around all of these things aren't worn in size XXL like back in the day.
in 1988 I don't think we were wearing XXL jackets and jeans.Seriously.

Your link reminds me of HS. Make it a tight cuff and it's identical.

I did not partake in cuffing or double breasted coat but I did have a jean jacket.

Is workboots and jeans making a comeback. :unsure:

Today's installment: Necktie tips

- Length: the end tip of the tie should just touch the top, or just above the top, of your belt buckle. It's better to be a little bit shorter than a little bit longer. This length also allows your tie knot to be an appropriate size. The shorter your tie is, the bigger the knot will be (because more fabric will be bunched up in that area). The longer your tie is, the smaller the knot will be (because less fabric will be bunched up in that area)

Correct length shown here:

http://www.popculturepost.com/wp-content/u...ticle-image.jpg

http://businessromance.com/wp-content/uplo...-tie-venice.jpg

- For general work/business/interviews (professional settings) wear a standard thickness of tie

- For outside of work more fashionable events (weddings, dinners, etc.) a skinnier tie is a good look if you have a tall and slender body shape

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jmLew-IJvn0/RdI9...+skinny+tie.jpg

- The back of a tie always has a stitched on label...this isn't just for show and does serve a purpose. Rather than leave the short/back end of your tie hanging loose or tucked into your shirt, slip that behind this stitched in label and that holds it in place.

- How to properly tie a necktie:

http://mensfashion.about.com/od/wardrobeba.../FourinHand.htm

Today's installment: Necktie tips

- Length: the end tip of the tie should just touch the top, or just above the top, of your belt buckle. It's better to be a little bit shorter than a little bit longer. This length also allows your tie knot to be an appropriate size. The shorter your tie is, the bigger the knot will be (because more fabric will be bunched up in that area). The longer your tie is, the smaller the knot will be (because less fabric will be bunched up in that area)

Correct length shown here:

http://www.popculturepost.com/wp-content/u...ticle-image.jpg

http://businessromance.com/wp-content/uplo...-tie-venice.jpg

- For general work/business/interviews (professional settings) wear a standard thickness of tie

- For outside of work more fashionable events (weddings, dinners, etc.) a skinnier tie is a good look if you have a tall and slender body shape

- The back of a tie always has a stitched on label...this isn't just for show and does serve a purpose. Rather than leave the short/back end of your tie hanging loose or tucked into your shirt, slip that behind this stitched in label and that holds it in place.

- How to properly tie a necktie:

http://mensfashion.about.com/od/wardrobeba.../FourinHand.htm
offdee - Do you wear bowties? They seem to be all the rage amongst the hip crowd in NYC. A little too much for me personally as I'm more subtle with my fashion. Tom Ford said it takes 15 minutes to recognize a well dressed man and I try to live by that. I do own two bowties but only wear them to formal events. Great chick magnet though. Total Mystery "peacocking" action.

offdee - Do you wear bowties?

They seem to be all the rage amongst the hip crowd in NYC. A little too much for me personally as I'm more subtle with my fashion. Tom Ford said it takes 15 minutes to recognize a well dressed man and I try to live by that. I do own two bowties but only wear them to formal events. Great chick magnet though. Total Mystery "peacocking" action.
Nope, I don't own any bowties personally, but don't mind the look on the right guy. This look would definitely be more accepted in NYC than in the Midwest right now, but agree that the ladies would be all over it like a moth to a flame. If wearing one you have to be 100% confident in it though as if it's a regular staple of your wardrobe otherwise it will come off like you're trying too hard.Nice little article with pictures on this topic:

http://whatshotandwhatsnot.wordpress.com/2...-ties-are-back/

Any of you guys wear LRG? I own a couple shirts and like the style. I was wondering if any FBG's agree with me.
I've never heard of them so had to look them up. Here is what I found....http://www.karmaloop.com/vendor.aspx?Vendo...ze=&subid=7

Overall, not really my :style: I'm just not a big fan of blantantly advertising brand names written across my chest or back and it looks like this brand revolves around that idea.

:style: isn't about flashing brands and showing how much you paid for something, usually subtle is better. Invest in a few nice neutral staples of your wardrobe that you can wear over and over again and have a long shelf life (jeans, jackets, shoes, watch). Than find deals on tops (shirts, sweaters, vests, etc.) and accessories (hats, ties, etc.) that complement those investment pieces and concentrate on fit, pattern and color more so than what brand it is.

Nothing worse than someone wearing a nice expensive shirt and pairing that up with piece of crap jeans and some ratty shoes.

But, if you have on nice jeans and cool shoes than more often than not it won't matter what your shirt's brand is...if it fits well and isn't obnoxious looking it will read as stylish and expensive.

Details Magazine (highly recommended by the way) has a section in every issue where they have top designers give their "rules of style for men". Interesting read and viewpoints on a number of topics.

KENNETH COLE

The designer with a conscience on how to make the right impression with your clothes

1. Clothing is maybe the single greatest form of self-expression. Whether you're fashion-impaired or fashion-inspired, I urge everyone to take a few extra minutes every day to contemplate the message you’re sending to the world.

2. If you wear a fragrance, make sure it doesn't arrive before you do and linger when you're gone.

3. Few people get dressed up today. Mix dressy with casual or rugged with refined. And one item should be more tailored. For example, if you're wearing a T-shirt, wear cleaner jeans. Wear a blazer with the jeans or a casual top with slacks.

4. Beyond any other accessory, shoes will have a very significant impact on how you look—they make the whole outfit come together. There's that old adage that before you judge somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. Then if you don't like them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes. What you wear below the ankles is critical.

5. Establish a uniform, then layer in something new to make it fresh each day. I always have my white shirt, my jeans, and my boots. Then I mix up the rest. Some days I wear a graphic tee with a white shirt and a vest. The next, I might wear a white shirt, a V-neck sweater, and a pin-striped blazer. But the must-haves for every wardrobe are a white shirt and a comfortable blazer.

6. When all else fails, wear black.

7. Vests are the accessory of the season. They look great as an element of sportswear or with a suit—as long as they're not matching. It's about breaking up the suit and then wearing the pieces as separates. The jacket, with or without the vest, can be worn with jeans. The pants can be worn with sneakers, T-shirts, and hooded sweaters.

8. Patterns, like stripes, need to be very subtle. The message overall should be that you're not wearing a matched wardrobe (or on parole). Contemplate wearing a jacket that doesn't match your pants and a shirt that matches neither. Your belt and shoes don't have to match either, but there needs to be a sense that everything works together.

9. You've done a good job if people see you and say, "You look great," as opposed to "Where did you buy your shoes, and how much did you pay for the jacket?" Your clothing choices should help present you.

10. No matter how long it takes you to get dressed, it shouldn't look like it took more than 10 minutes.

------------------------------------

TOMMY HILFIGER

The all-American designer on why fit, quality, and the pursuit of preppiness never go out of style

1. Less is better. Even if you have a lot of accessories and a large wardrobe, you don't have to wear them all at once. Wear one stylish item at a time—the others should be fairly basic.

2. Have a light touch when it comes to color. Maybe start with just a tie or a shirt. You don't want a colorful shirt, jacket, and pants. You always have to have a balance color, like black, navy, khaki, or white, to temper the brighter tones.

3. Too much pattern is a disaster. Tropical-print shirts are for the tropics. And flip-flops are for the beach.

4. The best thing a man can do is be true to himself and be classic without being boring. The worst thing a man can do is overdo it—trying too hard is a big no-no.

5. I'm biased. I believe preppy is the way to go. It references old-world charm and conjures up every icon from Robert Redford to James Dean. We should be proud of it. There's a comfort to preppy. When done well, with great quality, it looks like a combination of Italian and English.

6. Quality always wins. If you're wearing something of incredible quality it will outshine any trend, any fashion idea, and anything that's funky or groovy.

7. On a suit, if the sleeves are down to the knuckles or substantially above the wrists, you know it isn't fitting well. And then there are the shoulders. You don't want to look like Herman Munster and you don't want to look like Pee-wee Herman. If you button the top button or center button of the jacket and it's not pulling around the waist and the vents aren't spreading but it's still snug, you know you have a good fit.

8. Before you leave the house in the morning, use a lint brush and make sure you're well-groomed. You can have the greatest clothes in the world, but if you have cereal in your teeth and a bad haircut, you won't do the clothes justice.

--------------------------------

GIORGIO ARMANI

The Italian fashion maestro on holiday attire, the secret to staying young, and the starter suit.

1. When choosing a suit, a man should look for something that he can wear, and not something that will wear him. In other words, elegance, sophistication, and timeless style are always better than of-the-moment trends, which will date—and date the wearer.

2. As for style, a two-button suit is more timeless than a three- or a one-button. A single-breasted is more versatile than double—allowing you to dress your suit up or down more freely and use the jacket as a separate more easily.

3. The most important thing is to feel comfortable in your clothes. If you feel comfortable, you will feel self-confident.

4. The worst sartorial faux pas you can make is looking like you’re trying too hard. To develop your own individual style, really consider what suits you.

5. If you remain curious about the world, you will stay young at heart. Beyond that, I recommend an hour’s exercise every day and a healthy diet with a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits.

6. The holidays mean a handsome velvet tuxedo jacket. If you’re entertaining at home and feel like it, you can try one in a midnight blue or deep plum and you should wear velvet slippers. If you go out, wear shoes—preferably wing tips.

7. When buying a suit, go for a color that will not date too soon, like a mid-tone gray or a black.

8. At black-tie events you can get away with a jacket that has a bit more of an extreme line, something that’s really fitted. And you can never go wrong wearing a clean white shirt.

----------------------------

JENNA LYONS

J. Crew's creative director

1.There's nothing sexier than a blazer, a tie, and jeans. And yet most men can't put it together; they either end up with a suit and tie or jeans and T-shirt. Try taking half from one look and half from the other. Chances are you'll get something a little bit cooler.

2.Men don't shop enough. Being current has everything to do with finding the place you want to shop, whether it's J. Crew or Tom Ford. You have to get off your duff and get out there, because styles evolve. Certain things are classics and they do stay, but men need to keep updating their wardrobe, because change is subtle. For example, denim is getting slimmer. If you're wearing jeans from two years ago, they probably don't look current. Get a new pair of jeans.

3.Overplucked, overdone men are frightening to me. Women want a man who looks like he takes care of himself but doesn't look like he thinks about it more than she does.

4.A pressed shirt signals work mode. But a washed-cotton shirt automatically makes you feel more touchable, more approachable. It's effortless. However, if everything is washed—that's not interesting. When washed is paired with a blazer and a tie, it looks amazing.

5.Most men don't have a clue about tailoring. They hate to ask for directions and they hate to ask if something looks good on them. Learn to ask the salesperson. Ask a woman. Great tailoring always makes guys look better.

6.Get dressed, then change one element. With a suit, wear a pair of Converse, or take off your dress shirt and put on a chambray button-down instead. You can also do the reverse. Try khakis rolled up with wingtips. Tweaking one thing is an easy way for guys to modernize an outfit, even if they don't know what the hell they're doing.

7.What women notice are the shoes and the watch. Go for understated elegance, whether it's a vintage Rolex or a classic Timex or a watch that was your grandfather's. It's the same with shoes. I love a pair that look like they've been resoled 10 times.

8.A giant shirt is not cute. If it feels overly comfortable, it probably doesn't look so good. A simple fit test is to check your shoulder seam. It's designed to be on your shoulder line—not somewhere near it.

9.We don't need you to be perfect. What we do need is for you to look a little bit more pulled-together. And no pleats, please, not ever, ever, in your life. Ever.

:goodposting: offdee

on an unrelated note, has anyone seen The Simpsons episode where Homer gets interrogated at work for wearing a :PINK: shirt? Great stuff. Mr. Burns sends him to a mental institution where he meets Michael Jackson. Reminds me a little of what offdee is going through here for being the epitome of :style: rubber bands and suspenders.

I'm fine with Jcrew but this one is a dangerous

6.Get dressed, then change one element. With a suit, wear a pair of Converse, or take off your dress shirt and put on a chambray button-down instead. You can also do the reverse. Try khakis rolled up with wingtips. Tweaking one thing is an easy way for guys to modernize an outfit, even if they don't know what the hell they're doing.
It's how you wind up wearing office supplies for accessories.J

:popcorn: pick one questionable statement amongst a stable of good advice. I understand your point though.

:lmao: pick one questionable statement amongst a stable of good advice. I understand your point though.
To be fair, that one is very questionable as we've seen what can happen. But yes, the rest were pretty good skimming over.J

:lmao: pick one questionable statement amongst a stable of good advice. I understand your point though.
To be fair, that one is very questionable as we've seen what can happen. But yes, the rest were pretty good skimming over.J
I always thought the rubber band explosion was a byproduct of the Livestrong bracelets. Definitely a much cheaper alternative.

I'm all for a skinny tie, but this one is terrible. I think the tie still needs to be wider at the bottom then the top, even if just by a little.
I think it's pretty nice. I'd wear that with a white or pink button down. Chicks dig these ties b/c it's not overdone yet. Soon people in Wisconsin will be wearing them.

Details Magazine (highly recommended by the way) has a section in every issue where they have top designers give their "rules of style for men". Interesting read and viewpoints on a number of topics.

3. Too much pattern is a disaster. Tropical-print shirts are for the tropics. And flip-flops are for the beach.
AMEN!!!!

AMEN!!!!
Unless you have a disfigured jacked up toe from past injuries. In that case wear Judas sandals.

AMEN!!!!
Unless you have a disfigured jacked up toe from past injuries. In that case wear Judas sandals.
When Tommy Hilfiger talks PEOPLE should listen.Flip-Flops are the worst.

What's the verdict on french cuff shirts and cufflinks? I can't get a handle on if I'm a fan or not.

I guess where I'm at right now on it is that I think they are OK when wearing a tie (or a suit) but not OK otherwise.

Cufflinks while wearing jeans just looks weird to me....if need to wear a french cuff shirt with jeans than just use the standard button that's attached to the shirt as the main closure.

But, overall I'm on the fence about them.

I wear 11 so I don't know about that but I've always thought they made my feet look smaller. :thumbup:
There are different styles of Puma shoes.These types can definitely make your feet look like skis if you're pushing size 12+. They are also very narrow, so if you have wider feet stay away.

http://www.onpuma.com/images/Mens%20Puma%2...GINE/853284.jpg

http://www.footlocker.com/images/products/.../30040603_w.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tn...SmL._AA280_.jpg

This style is more versatile with any size foot.

http://www.footlocker.com/images/products/.../34189335_w.jpg

http://www.cloggs.co.uk/content/ebiz/clogg...ite-green-m.jpg

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/c/0/0/52/9/...AAAAAAFKbtA.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411W...TML._AA280_.jpg

:eek: offdee

on an unrelated note, has anyone seen The Simpsons episode where Homer gets interrogated at work for wearing a :PINK: shirt? Great stuff. Mr. Burns sends him to a mental institution where he meets Michael Jackson. Reminds me a little of what offdee is going through here for being the epitome of :style: rubber bands and suspenders.
I think you are kind of overstating it a bit, don't you? Most of the jabs directed at offdee have been good natured ribbing. I don't think you see slung down suspenders on a consistent basis when you are walking down the streets.

In fact, I have never seen many of the styles,etc. that I've seen on runways on everyday people walking around on the streets.

Styles/fads come and go, but one thing most designers agree on is to stick to the classics because they will always remain in :style: You can add your own flair to the classic looks and express your own tastes while remaining stylish.

Users who are viewing this thread