What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2022 NFL Quarterback Shuffle - Rodgers, Wilson, Watson & Garoppolo - where will they play this year? (1 Viewer)

Which NFL team will Jimmy Garoppolo play for in 2022?

• San Francisco 49ers

Votes: 14 10.5%
  • Denver Broncos

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • New Orleans Saints

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Pittsburgh Steelers

Votes: 33 24.8%
  • Washington Football Team

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Carolina Panthers

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Houston Texans

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Miami Dolphins

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • NY Giants

• Las Vegas Raiders

• Other

Votes: 6 4.5%

• Total voters

Faust

MVP
The 2022 NFL offseason could be very interesting as far as a number of big quarterback names go in the NFL and questions surrounding where they will play.

4 of the biggest names are represented in this poll; however, feel free to add discussion on any other quarterbacks that could potentially be moving on to new teams.

I voted Rodgers to Broncos, Wilson stays a Seahawk, Watson to Carolina, and Jimmy G to Washington. 

Rodgers to follow Hackett seems most likely if he leaves. I don’t see Wilson leaving. Carolina has been sniffing around Watson too long to not consider them the front runners to me. Jimmy G was the hardest to pick but if the above is right the team I felt left that’s mostly desire a QB is Washington. For some reason I don’t see Jimmy G in Pittsburgh or Green Bay, but maybe New Orleans or Tampa need to enter the conversation now. 

I’d be surprised if Rodgers is anywhere but Denver. 
Watson probably doesn’t play or maybe stays in Houston with new coaching. 
Jimmy G as a stop gap to Pittsburgh. 
Russell probably stays in Seattle but I’d like to see him in NO. 

voted Rodgers to Broncos, Wilson stays a Seahawk, Watson to Carolina, and Jimmy G to Washington. 
I had the same, with the exception of Jimmy. My uneducated guess is he’s a stop gap in Pittsburgh for a rookie they draft (Pickett?).

A wild card team could be Indy, who doesn’t seem to be sold/committed to Wentz.

Last edited by a moderator:
A wild card team could be Indy, who doesn’t seem to be sold/committed to Wentz.
There were rumblings yesterday about Arians wanting to pursue Wentz. Could make sense if Indy wanted to upgrade. I think Jimmy G works for them almost as well as he did in SF. 

I think there is a chance none of them are playing for new teams next season. That probably requires a Super Bowl for SF though.

Posted this in the Rodgers thread as well

Football wise…Rodgers and Wilson should both strongly consider what the league looks like.  If Brady truely is done…where does that leave teams in the NfC especially at the QB position.  
You have Dak in Dallas, Kyler Murray in AZ…then what?    If Rodgers goes to the AFC…Wilson would be nuts to leave the NFC.

For Rodgers to Denver…he has to consider a division with Herbert and Mahomes being big obstacles to a title.  Add in the rest of the AFC with Burrow and Josh Allen.

It may be wishful thinking…but the clearest path to playoffs still seems to be Green Bay. 

Posted this in the Rodgers thread as well

Football wise…Rodgers and Wilson should both strongly consider what the league looks like.  If Brady truely is done…where does that leave teams in the NfC especially at the QB position.  
You have Dak in Dallas, Kyler Murray in AZ…then what?    If Rodgers goes to the AFC…Wilson would be nuts to leave the NFC.

For Rodgers to Denver…he has to consider a division with Herbert and Mahomes being big obstacles to a title.  Add in the rest of the AFC with Burrow and Josh Allen.

It may be wishful thinking…but the clearest path to playoffs still seems to be Green Bay. 
It’s probably true, though rodgers vs mahomes and rodgers vs Herbert 4 times a year would be pretty sweet 

If you’re any of these QBs why would you want to go to the AFC? If Brady retires and Rodgers goes to Den who’s the best QB in the NFC, Dak?

How many QBs actually move each year by way of trade, especially big name franchise QBs?  TB was a free agent, I don’t remember if Manning was traded or free agent when he went to Denver.  Maybe my memory is bad but I can’t recall a true big name trade at that position in a long time 

I don't see any of these guys playing for Pittsburgh.  I could see the Steelers bringing in Mariota, Trubisky or someone similar but I think they would be foolish giving up high draft picks and lots of cap space.   This team is not a player or two away from contention.

They need to fix the o-line, get a 3rd WR, help on the d-line, inside linebacker and the defensive backfield.   In other words way too many holes to fill before worrying about QB.

Panthers mailbag: Only 2 QBs make sense to trade for but Carolina won’t appeal to them

Excerpt:

Greg asks: What do you think they do at QB this year? What’s your feeling?

Jonathan M. Alexander: Greg, what I know is the Panthers will explore trading for a quarterback. There are a number of teams that potentially could part ways with their quarterbacks this offseason. The Packers, Seahawks, 49ers, Vikings and Texans are among them. But of those five teams, only Aaron Rodgers and Russel Wilson are worth it, in my opinion. However, Wilson and Rodgers have to agree to a trade to the Panthers. And with the Panthers’ offensive line situation, and Matt Rhule’s job security in Year 3, that would be a tough sell.

The most likely scenario is the Panthers sign a veteran quarterback in free agency and have him compete with Sam Darnold for the starting job. Trading for a quarterback will cost the Panthers at least one first-round draft pick and will stymie their ability to fix the offensive line this season. There are a number of people within the organization that know this, and would much rather build it in a methodical way and not give up their long-term investments for a player with a lot of uncertainty. (Deshaun Watson, for example.)

I could see Pittsburgh trying to recreate exactly what SF has done.  Bring in Jimmy G as a bridge and look to draft your next future QB in a draft that's a bit more QB rich than 2022 will be.  

Wilson stays in Seattle...they're idiots if they let him go and I don't really think he wants out the same way Rodgers does.  

jimmy g was the tough one here, but reading through the thread after i voted, pitt makes a ton of sense. deshaun to miami also makes sense and the system i think fits his style there assuming he plays at all.

Rodgers stays....going to the AFC in any way shape or form would not be a good move if he is chasing titles in the twilight of his career

Wilson stays....they work it out...

Watson....never plays another down in the NFL is my call...

Jimmy G.....I could see DEN being in the mix here...there has always been a little sumthin sumthin between SF and DEN....Lynch, Shanahan, etc....plus it would get him into the other conference (not a big deal with Jimmy G...actually you might want him in your conference if you are SF) ....there is not a slam dunk stud in the draft, although I do think DEN caves to the pressure and takes one at (9)...easy to move on from Teddy....Lock is a capable backup....get Jimmy, Lock is the backup, and take whatever QB you think at (9) and at least have a QB room that has some competition....even tho IMO Jimmy isn't that much of an upgrade on Teddy and Teddy would be cheaper to bring back...

I think the qbs more likely to switch teams are winston, trubisky, or Mariota. I think GB and SEA realize they have good qbs and aren’t going all in on a rebuild. Ultimately watson won’t bring the compensation Houston wants but a change of city would probably be the best bet for him. Still a lot of obstacles in trading him- he has to agree to go wherever and HOU likely expects more than a team will want to give. Jimmy G is interesting- what would SF want for him? Who will be willing to sign him to a long term contract? 

wlwiles said:
I could see Pittsburgh trying to recreate exactly what SF has done.  Bring in Jimmy G as a bridge and look to draft your next future QB in a draft that's a bit more QB rich than 2022 will be.  

Wilson stays in Seattle...they're idiots if they let him go and I don't really think he wants out the same way Rodgers does.  
The problem for Jimmy G in Pittsburgh is the cost.   Why would Pittsburgh give up draft picks and $24 million in cap for a one season bridge when you have so many holes to fill?  

In order for this trade to happen I think the Steelers would want an agreement for a contract extension which would kinda defeat the bridge concept and is contrary to what the Steelers are saying they want in a QB.

Dont get me wrong, he would be an  upgrade over what the Steelers currently have but it doesn’t make sense if you’re rebuilding. 

I think the qbs more likely to switch teams are winston, trubisky, or Mariota. I think GB and SEA realize they have good qbs and aren’t going all in on a rebuild. Ultimately watson won’t bring the compensation Houston wants but a change of city would probably be the best bet for him. Still a lot of obstacles in trading him- he has to agree to go wherever and HOU likely expects more than a team will want to give. Jimmy G is interesting- what would SF want for him? Who will be willing to sign him to a long term contract? 

I agree with this. While the Packers flamed out in the playoffs, they were still the top seed in the NFC and can still make a run next year. While they could move on to Love as the heir apparent, I’m sure team brass would rather keep Rodgers around and franchise Adams for one more year together. Of course, if Rodgers becomes insistent about leaving, all bets are off.

As for Seattle, Carroll has to be  nearing the end and I doubt they want to start from scratch right now. Wilson could also raise a stink about leaving, but doesn’t seem to be his style. 

I'm with you on this. I still think the most likely teams for Wilson and Rodgers next year are Seattle and GB, respectively. For Watson, I think it's more likely. There's a lot of time for court stuff to get settled in the offseason, and once it is I think someone will give up a bounty of picks for him. I voted Carolina. 

I like the idea of Trubisky following Daboll to New York, which possibly becomes a Mariota-Tannehill situation in season (not predicting either one becomes a long term starter like Tanny, just meaning it's an option with some upside if Jones falters again). Mariota also may look appealing this offseason to some desperate team. I think the Lions could do worse than bringing him in to compete with Goff if they aren't ready to draft a QB high this year. 

I'm with you on this. I still think the most likely teams for Wilson and Rodgers next year are Seattle and GB, respectively. For Watson, I think it's more likely. There's a lot of time for court stuff to get settled in the offseason, and once it is I think someone will give up a bounty of picks for him. I voted Carolina. 

I like the idea of Trubisky following Daboll to New York, which possibly becomes a Mariota-Tannehill situation in season (not predicting either one becomes a long term starter like Tanny, just meaning it's an option with some upside if Jones falters again). Mariota also may look appealing this offseason to some desperate team. I think the Lions could do worse than bringing him in to compete with Goff if they aren't ready to draft a QB high this year. 
Let’s assume for a moment Wilson/Rodgers stay put. Watson would have to get a settlement package with a NDA before the draft to be moved imo, so let’s say that doesn’t happen by draft time and he stays put as well.

I feel like trubisky isn’t as bad as he’s made out to be. He could go somewhere but curious what price tag it would come with and as a coach do you want to hitch your tenure to that= NYG or bust? Winston/Mariota could move as a free agent and probably provides more immediate starting value to a team like the (cough) Commanders, Denver, or Carolina, or Pittsburgh, without the cost of players/picks. Someone will opt for a rookie qb in what seems to be an uninspiring class.

As far as Detroit is concerned I think they go with Goff, and as a Detroit fan I’m ok with getting the best talent regardless of position and letting Goff go another year. Build the roster; don’t reach for a qb. 

As far as Detroit is concerned I think they go with Goff, and as a Detroit fan I’m ok with getting the best talent regardless of position and letting Goff go another year. Build the roster; don’t reach for a qb. 
I agree on the Lions putting off drafting a QB this year, way too many needs on that team and #2 is too early for any of these college QBs. And #31/32 is too late to get the best of the bunch.

Mariota or Mitch would be interesting if only because the Lions haven't had 2 viable QBs in forever. When Stafford or even Goff went down they lost almost every game they missed. Could at least be a good stop gap situation until they eventually draft a QB.

I agree on the Lions putting off drafting a QB this year, way too many needs on that team and #2 is too early for any of these college QBs. And #31/32 is too late to get the best of the bunch.
Yeah but who is the best of the bunch really? Willis is a running threat (can’t even call him dual threat). Pickett probably at the top end, but corral/ridder/Howell probably pretty closely bunched, and honestly I put Zappe in that group as well. He probably goes later but had great accuracy and reads the defense quick and delivers a ball in stride. I wouldn’t be upset with him at the top of the 3rd. 

Yeah but who is the best of the bunch really? Willis is a running threat (can’t even call him dual threat). Pickett probably at the top end, but corral/ridder/Howell probably pretty closely bunched, and honestly I put Zappe in that group as well. He probably goes later but had great accuracy and reads the defense quick and delivers a ball in stride. I wouldn’t be upset with him at the top of the 3rd. 
I would have no problem taking a flyer on someone like Zappe in the 3rd round or later. But if they don't they then still need to address the backup QB position. Whether it's been Stafford or Goff their replacement has been a total failure for the last decade. 

There were rumblings yesterday about Arians wanting to pursue Wentz. Could make sense if Indy wanted to upgrade. I think Jimmy G works for them almost as well as he did in SF. 
I would definitely want Jimmy over Wentz, but it’s not like he is that great either.  Hopefully he won’t try to be like Mahomes with the funky passes that Wentz does and throws interceptions.

I don't see any of these guys playing for Pittsburgh.  I could see the Steelers bringing in Mariota, Trubisky or someone similar but I think they would be foolish giving up high draft picks and lots of cap space.   This team is not a player or two away from contention.

They need to fix the o-line, get a 3rd WR, help on the d-line, inside linebacker and the defensive backfield.   In other words way too many holes to fill before worrying about QB.
This is the way I think Pitts will go. Dalton, Mariota, Winston, unless they get their guy in the draft. 

I voted ARod to the Commanders

solid OL, good WR Corps, great D in case he throws a pick

he can follow the Lombardi path…

I voted Garropolo to Pittsburgh 

I think his playing style is a good fit for what they do.  They just need to retool that line 

Users who are viewing this thread