What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2022 NFL Quarterback Shuffle - Rodgers, Wilson, Watson & Garoppolo - where will they play this year? (1 Viewer)

Which NFL team will Jimmy Garoppolo play for in 2022?

• San Francisco 49ers

Votes: 14 10.5%
  • Denver Broncos

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • New Orleans Saints

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Pittsburgh Steelers

Votes: 33 24.8%
  • Washington Football Team

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Carolina Panthers

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Houston Texans

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Miami Dolphins

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • NY Giants

• Las Vegas Raiders

• Other

Votes: 6 4.5%

• Total voters
Rodgers to Tennessee.

Wilson stays.

Watson doesn't play. Also doesn't he have a no trade clause? I think that's why he didn't get traded to Carolina already.

Garappolo? Who cares? But Tampa, WFT & Carolina seem about right.

Mariota or Winston to Pittsburgh. Odd man out probably ends up with NO, WFT or Carolina in that order.

Trubisky to the Giants makes too much sense. If he doesn't end up there then WFT seems most likely.

Carolina is most likely to lose out on all of the above and have to resign Cam to compete with Darnold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodgers to Tennessee.

Wilson stays.

Watson doesn't play. Also doesn't he have a no trade clause? I think that's why he didn't get traded to Carolina already.

Mariota or Winston to Pittsburgh. Odd man out probably ends up with NO, WFT or Carolina in that order.

Trubisky to the Giants makes too much sense. If he doesn't end up there then WFT seems most likely.

Carolina is most likely to lose out on all of the above and have to resign Cam to compete with Darnold.
I just can’t see a way to get ARod to Tennessee which makes sense for the Titans.  
Winston stays in NO. The rest seem about right. 

Rodgers- GB

Wilson- SEA

Watson- Carolina

Garapollo- IND

Trubisky- Washington

Mariotta- Pittsburgh

Wentz- Tampa

Winston- NO

I just can’t see a way to get ARod to Tennessee which makes sense for the Titans.  
Winston stays in NO. The rest seem about right. 
Florio wrote up a blurb about Rodgers having already spoken with several teams about what kind of packages they could offer. Tennessee was among those mentioned and it makes the most sense.

Tennessee knows they need an upgrade at QB, they have enough draft capital along with the mostly competent Tannehill to send back to GB. And, like the Rams last year, they are in their window to go for a 🏆 right now. They need to make a move if they can.  Wilson would also be a great choice for them.

It is really the only AFC destination I can see Rodgers being interested in if he really wants another ring. Like Green Bay they have a clear path to winning the division, unlike what he would have in Denver (the AFC West is a buzzsaw ATM), and a shot at the #1 seed. Although the #1 seed comes easier in GB ATM but that shouldn't be a deal breaker.  They have great weapons on offense, a top offensive line and a solid, potentially excellent, defense.

It's his best landing spot outside of Green Bay.

Florio wrote up a blurb about Rodgers having already spoken with several teams about what kind of packages they could offer. Tennessee was among those mentioned and it makes the most sense.

Tennessee knows they need an upgrade at QB, they have enough draft capital along with the mostly competent Tannehill to send back to GB. And, like the Rams last year, they are in their window to go for a 🏆 right now. They need to make a move if they can.  Wilson would also be a great choice for them.

It is really the only AFC destination I can see Rodgers being interested in if he really wants another ring. Like Green Bay they have a clear path to winning the division, unlike what he would have in Denver (the AFC West is a buzzsaw ATM), and a shot at the #1 seed. Although the #1 seed comes easier in GB ATM but that shouldn't be a deal breaker.  They have great weapons on offense, a top offensive line and a solid, potentially excellent, defense.

It's his best landing spot outside of Green Bay.
I have no doubt he’d be interested in Tennessee. 
but for the price, no thanks. I’ll keep tannehill. 

eta- thinking about it a bit more, if they get basically the same deal as the Rams/Lions, I’m not opposed. The cap seems to work better than I had thought but that’s still a concern if they lose Landry and Jones. 

I have no doubt he’d be interested in Tennessee. 
but for the price, no thanks. I’ll keep tannehill. 

eta- thinking about it a bit more, if they get basically the same deal as the Rams/Lions, I’m not opposed. The cap seems to work better than I had thought but that’s still a concern if they lose Landry and Jones. 
The only reason to go after a guy like Rogers is the gear up for a championship run this year. I would have to assume that signing Landry and Jones would be integral factors in making that run.

Rodgers- Green Bay or Denver

Wilson- Seattle 

Watson - Doesn’t play in 2022, or Denver if Rodgers stays in Green Bay,  or Tampa Bay

Garopollo - Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay or Indianapolis 

Trubisky - Denver or Pittsburgh or Washington or Carolina or Indianapolis 

Mariota - Green Bay if Rodgers leaves or Denver or Washington or Indianapolis 

Wentz- Indianapolis or Tampa Bay or Pittsburgh 

Winston- New Orleans

I think the person writing this article seems confused.....

"Martin Mayhew, the team’s general manager, said Wednesday at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis that the Commanders have “spoken to every club that has a quarterback who might be available,”

"Others, meanwhile, commended the Commanders for shooting their shot but offered sympathy to whoever was tasked to dial Chiefs general manager Brett Veach."

My $.02, by team...

GB -- Will make every effort to at least LOOK like they're trying to retain Rodgers.  IMO, they'd be more than happy to end the drama and ship him elsewhere.  Best guess is we see part II of the Jordan Love experiment.

PIT -- Not likely to settle for a journeyman type.  They already have those.  Will want to start fresh with a potential superstar.  Says here they draft Willis but don't start him day 1.

SEA -- Unless Russ demands out ( & ends up East Coast), he's the guy.  If he's gone, they revert to run offense & bring in Mariotta or Jimmy G.

IND -- Most likely to give Wentz another try.  

TB -- I see them staying in house and adding a lottery ticket.  This might be the place Trubisky lands.x

CAR -- Darnold looked good for a while, so I bet they stay the course initially, but I bet they spend a pick on a QB to hedge their bets.

WAS -- It looks like they intend to put a superstar QB in charge.  I don't think Rodgers wants to go there and I don't see anyone else moving.  I'm betting it's Heinicke again, but it might just be Watson.

DEN -- I really think it'll be Rodgers.  If not, Lock, I guess.  Or, Teddy B.  Maybe a draft pick.  Eggs/basket...

NO -- Why isn't it Jameis?

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Packers signed Aaron Rodgers to a four-year, $200 million contract. 

The all-consuming drama is over for now. Rodgers, a four-time NFL MVP, becomes the highest paid player in league history with $153 million guaranteed over his new four-year deal. Rodgers, 38, will be in his early-40s if he finishes out the contract. He'll likely end his career in Green Bay. Rodgers returning to the Packers is almost a guarantee that Davante Adams will re-sign with the team. QB-hungry teams like the Broncos, meanwhile, will have to look elsewhere this offseason. The Packers will headed in 2022 with their two most important players accounting for a huge chunk of their salary cap. The Jordan Love era has been put on hold. 

RELATED: 

Davante Adams

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 8, 2022, 11:29 AM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Broncos are expected to trade for Russel Wilson. 

The terms of the trade haven't been reported yet but Schefter noted that it will be one of the largest trades in NFL history. The deal is expected to include Denver sending Drew Lock to the Seahawks. Seattle has been adamant about keeping Wilson on the roster this offseason but a blockbuster offer for a player clearly at odds with his franchise was too good to pass up. Even with the addition of Lock, Seattle is now in the market for a quarterback, likely through the draft. Wilson's departure is a massive blow to the fantasy outlooks of D.K. Metcalf and Tyler Lockett. On the other side of the coin, Courtland Sutton, Jerry Jeudy, and Noah Fant are all set for career years with a quarterback miles better than anything they have been given since entering the league. Wilson missed a handful of games with a mallet finger injury last year and looked hampered by the issue after returning. An offseason to recover plus a deeper cast of weapons should boost him into the conversation as a top-five fantasy quarterback.

RELATED: 

DK Metcalf

, Tyler Lockett

, Drew Lock

, Courtland Sutton

, Jerry Jeudy

, Noah Fant

, Seattle Seahawks

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 8, 2022, 1:51 PM ET

Rodgers to Tennessee.

Wilson stays.

Trubisky to the Colts

Erik Burkhardt

@ErikBurkhardt

Years ago I asked Jerry Jones what he believes his biggest regret has been as an NFL owner. He didn’t hesitate in his response: “Not having a succession plan when Troy retired…cost us 10+ years in my prime despite all the great players we had come thru in those yrs…”

The worst time to be looking for a quarterback is when you need a quarterback.

Now that the dust is settling, seems like the following teams may look the FA route if they don't draft one early:

Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Houston (if not sold on Mills), Seattle, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, Carolina

That's a lot of open spots.

After giving up their first found pick for Wentz the Colts are selling for moving up five spots in the 2nd, a 2022 3rd (73) and either a 2nd or 3rd in 2023.

1) says so much about Wentz, none of it good, that Reich is giving up after one season.

2) IMO that is such a low price for a starting QB it says even more about how Wentz is viewed around the league, also none of it good, if that is the best the Colts could get in return.

3) If the Colts do trade for Garappolo it says even more about Wentz if that is considered an upgrade by the Colts..

Now that the dust is settling, seems like the following teams may look the FA route if they don't draft one early:

Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Houston (if not sold on Mills), Seattle, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, Carolina

available QBs sans Deshaun (per sportrac): JImmy G., Cam, Tyrod, Winston, Brissett, McCoy, Geno, Fitzpatrick (will he be back? i didn't look back to his injury timeline), Dalton, Teddy, Mariota, Flacco and the draft class Pickett, Willis, Corral, et al. Potentially seven of these players could be starting week 1 2022, eek.

likelihood of Carr going anywhere is now probably zero, but still doesn't have an extension yet there either. same with Murray.

Houston is highly unlikely to pursue a QB. Mills would probably be the 1.01 this year. Or just the first QB taken. 

Houston is highly unlikely to pursue a QB. Mills would probably be the 1.01 this year. Or just the first QB taken. 
Probably not, although with a new coaching regime, it's not out of the range of outcomes. Given he played better than all rookie QBs not named Mac Jones, he probably does get another shot.

Probably not, although with a new coaching regime, it's not out of the range of outcomes. Given he played better than all rookie QBs not named Mac Jones, he probably does get another shot.
I mean, if he can be a fairly decent QB, the new staff has maneuver space to address other needs. The most valuable asset other than a truly elite QB is a starting quality QB on his rookie contract. 

There will never be a more perfect storm which increases the value of Kirk Cousins. C’mon Vikings, find a dance partner!  

There will never be a more perfect storm which increases the value of Kirk Cousins. C’mon Vikings, find a dance partner!  
Same with Carr.  With Wilson in the division now the best thing lv can do is restock for three years in the future

After giving up their first found pick for Wentz the Colts are selling for moving up five spots in the 2nd, a 2022 3rd (73) and either a 2nd or 3rd in 2023.

1) says so much about Wentz, none of it good, that Reich is giving up after one season.

2) IMO that is such a low price for a starting QB it says even more about how Wentz is viewed around the league, also none of it good, if that is the best the Colts could get in return.
:goodposting:  

Mike Clay@MikeClayNFL

Colts QB depth chart:

1. Sam Ehlinger

2. James Morgan

(They do not have a first round pick)
Winston, Mariota & Trubisky are all available as FAs. I think Mariota is going to be their target ATM.

Garappolo is pretty clearly available in a trade. Cousins may be as well and possibly Carr. Although without a first found pick to offer I don't think Carr is a possibility.

Which teams are realistic options for Deshaun Watson?

Excerpt:

Panthers: They’re desperate to find a franchise quarterback. As mentioned above, they were willing to do the deal last year, with no clarity as to his various legal entanglements. That said, the tenuous status of coach Matt Rhule should give Watson pause, given that he possibly would have a new coach as soon as next year.

Seahawks: In 2017, Watson had a spectacular game in Seattle. He believes he suffered his torn ACL during that performance, with the ligament fully ripping apart at practice four days later. Now, the Seahawks have an obvious need at quarterback. They have the assets to get a deal done, given the Russell Wilson trade. However, does Watson see Seattle as a place where he can contend sooner than later? The team is clearly in rebuilding mode.

Eagles: Linked at times to Watson chatter last year, it never seemed that Watson was interested. Maybe he should be. The Eagles made it to the playoffs in 2021, and in a depleted NFC they could become a significant contender — especially with Watson at quarterback. And they could stick with Jalen Hurts (or Gardner Minshew) during a short-term suspension.

Vikings: If they find a trade partner for Kirk Cousins, Watson is the only available upgrade. However, they’d need a reliable bridge quarterback during a potential suspension. Kellen Monddoesn’t seem to be ready to play.

Buccaneers: Even without Tom Brady, the Bucs can contend at a high level. It makes plenty of sense, and it definitely would close the door on a Brady return. (He’s not coming back to the Buccaneers, anyway.)

Steelers: Although former Bucs quarterback Shaun King continues to push the idea that Watson is interested in the Steelers, the force of the all-caps “ARE NOT” interested report from Wednesday suggests that the source goes as high in the front office as possible.

Cardinals: If the Cards and Kyler Murray are at a contractual impasse, why not swap Murray for Watson? It would make plenty of sense for everyone, if Houston would be ready to pay Kyler big money.

Seattle & Carolina seem to be the most obvious destinations for Deshaun Watson.

Seattle has the cap space to cover his salary without any corresponding cuts or restructures. They also have more draft capital than Carolina ATM.

But Carolina would need to clear cap space but seems like the team more desperate to make a splash and might be willing to make a Rams-like, overpay to win now move to acquire him.

I think he ends up in Carolina.

Seattle & Carolina seem to be the most obvious destinations for Deshaun Watson.

Seattle has the cap space to cover his salary without any corresponding cuts or restructures. They also have more draft capital than Carolina ATM.

But Carolina would need to clear cap space but seems like the team more desperate to make a splash and might be willing to make a Rams-like, overpay to win now move to acquire him.

I think he ends up in Carolina.
He has a no trade clause. Why would he go to either of those places. I imagine Carolina would be his third choice in the NFC South alone. 

He has a no trade clause. Why would he go to either of those places. I imagine Carolina would be his third choice in the NFC South alone. 
Possibly. They need to find a trade partner first and that might not be so easy. Of course there will be multiple teams calling but how many can pay Houston's price?

New Orleans and Tampa Bay are both over the cap right now & need to clear almost $40 million in space to even begin thinking about acquiring Deshaun. It can be done but it'll be painful and is definitely a barrier to acquisition.

There are also a surprising number of potential starting QBs that will be available starting Wednesday. None as gifted or proven as Watson but there are three top 2 overall picks all on the right side of 30. Teams don't make acquisitions based exclusively on physical ability.

Indy, Seattle, Carolina, New Orleans & TB are all likely in the market for a QB. Indy doesn't have a ton of draft capital, TB & NO would have to make painful cuts to pay for Watson. I'm not 100% that Pete Carroll would even want Watson.  Maybe Minnesota is a dark horse and could free up $35 mil by dishing Cousins in a deal for Watson, but who would pay that for Cousins?

Carolina has a good team everywhere except o-line & QB. With limited options & a desire to play in 2022 I could see Watsin waive the no trade to go somewhere he is truly wanted.

Possibly. They need to find a trade partner first and that might not be so easy. Of course there will be multiple teams calling but how many can pay Houston's price?

New Orleans and Tampa Bay are both over the cap right now & need to clear almost $40 million in space to even begin thinking about acquiring Deshaun. It can be done but it'll be painful and is definitely a barrier to acquisition.

There are also a surprising number of potential starting QBs that will be available starting Wednesday. None as gifted or proven as Watson but there are three top 2 overall picks all on the right side of 30. Teams don't make acquisitions based exclusively on physical ability.

Indy, Seattle, Carolina, New Orleans & TB are all likely in the market for a QB. Indy doesn't have a ton of draft capital, TB & NO would have to make painful cuts to pay for Watson. I'm not 100% that Pete Carroll would even want Watson.  Maybe Minnesota is a dark horse and could free up $35 mil by dishing Cousins in a deal for Watson, but who would pay that for Cousins?

Carolina has a good team everywhere except o-line & QB. With limited options & a desire to play in 2022 I could see Watsin waive the no trade to go somewhere he is truly wanted.
 Here’s an article about how the Bucs could fit Watson in without losing anybody. The Saints can as well. The salary cap is a total myth:

https://www.pewterreport.com/bucs-deshaun-watson-texans-quarterback-nfl-trade-cap-hit/

Here’s an article about how the Bucs could fit Watson in without losing anybody. The Saints can as well. The salary cap is a total myth:

https://www.pewterreport.com/bucs-deshaun-watson-texans-quarterback-nfl-trade-cap-hit/
I said it could be done, but having to restructure up to eight contracts isn't exactly a strong argument for the cap being a total myth. That article also entirely glosses over future cap ramifications.

Any team could sign him if they have the will but both Seattle & Carolina are in a much better position to get a deal done right now.

Watson could veto until Mariota, Trubisky & Winston sign deals, Garappolo too, but that is going to reduce his options significantly.

Saints just restructured Lattimore freeing up $18 mil. I think that gives them about $12 mil in cap space 

I said it could be done, but having to restructure up to eight contracts isn't exactly a strong argument for the cap being a total myth. That article also entirely glosses over future cap ramifications.

Any team could sign him if they have the will but both Seattle & Carolina are in a much better position to get a deal done right now.

Watson could veto until Mariota, Trubisky & Winston sign deals, Garappolo too, but that is going to reduce his options significantly.
Future cap issues can just be kicked down the road until you have a bad team and can clear it then. If the Bucs get Watson they have a SB contender. Worrying about the 2024 or 2025 cap is irrelevant. 

How come the Jets are never mentioned as in play? I don't want them to be, but they have tons of draft capital and cap room to accommodate Watson. New York/New Jersey can be the epicenter of football when things are going well. He might waive a no-trade for that opportunity in that market. Are they really locked into Zach Wilson like that? I wouldn't think so. 

The Giants have the draft capital but not the cap space, though as Capella points out, the cap is a bit of a mythical beast. 

Just wondering why an obvious candidate like the Jets aren't mentioned. 

Whatever the case, as menobrown says, Houston is going to get a close-to-record haul for him, one would think. 

The 2022 NFL offseason could be very interesting as far as a number of big quarterback names go in the NFL and questions surrounding where they will play.

4 of the biggest names are represented in this poll; however, feel free to add discussion on any other quarterbacks that could potentially be moving on to new teams.
What a thread when you look back at the dominos falling one by one. I never thought all these guys wold seriously move around. 

I wonder...How much influence did Tom Brady leaving the Pats and winning one more Super Bowl with the Bucs impact all of these other moves?

Vita Vea restructured.

TB and the Saints gearing up?

ETA: Could be just a move to get them under the cap by Wednesday, which is a league requirement.

Users who are viewing this thread