What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The INFLATION Thread, aka “The Putin Price Hike” (2 Viewers)

SS to get 8.7% increase, which I think is the largest ever. For those of us not there yet that means the funding for full benefits ends that much quicker, leaving the rest of us out in the cold.

Thanks, Joe.
Apparently there are a couple proposals floating around congress (that wont see the floor before mid-terms) to address the issue. The R one wants to totally revamp the program, but I haven't seen the details. The D plans calls for adding SS tax to existing transactions that are currently not taxed for SS... i.e stock market sales and such.

No idea if either plan is enough, but I was happy to hear people are at least thinking about the impact 2035 has on the situation.

What are some of the Republican solutions to inflation that they would push through if they had the power? All shtick aside, what is their plan or can be done? I seriously have no idea what else can or should be done other than ride this out and get people to stop spending money on anything except necessities.

Last edited:
SS to get 8.7% increase, which I think is the largest ever. For those of us not there yet that means the funding for full benefits ends that much quicker, leaving the rest of us out in the cold.

Thanks, Joe.
Apparently there are a couple proposals floating around congress (that wont see the floor before mid-terms) to address the issue. The R one wants to totally revamp the program, but I haven't seen the details. The D plans calls for adding SS tax to existing transactions that are currently not taxed for SS... i.e stock market sales and such.

No idea if either plan is enough, but I was happy to hear people are at least thinking about the impact 2035 has on the situation.
I'd be very curious to know what those details are. The easiest solution continues to be raise the limit, but that's not going to get a lot of republican support.

For 2023 the limit was raised to $160,200, from $147,000.

What are some of the Republican solutions to inflation that they would push through if they had the power? All shtick aside, what is their plan or can be done? I seriously have no idea what else can or should be done other than ride this out and get people to stop spending money on anything except necessitates.
As long as it’s not the same plan of “act like everything is fine, continue to be oblivious” I think Americans will take it. Lucky for you and everyone we only have a month more to deal with Left control.

What are some of the Republican solutions to inflation that they would push through if they had the power? All shtick aside, what is their plan or can be done? I seriously have no idea what else can or should be done other than ride this out and get people to stop spending money on anything except necessities.
One idea I found intriguing would be letting people opt of the SS program. I understand SS is a security net, but I think there is a path where this can work.

Say everyone pays into SS until they hit the age of 30. At 30 you can opt out of the program and never pay another dime towards it, but never draw a dime from it. Those who think they can do more with that money and are worried about the future of the program can go down their own path. Those who want to stay with it can continue payments and get their payouts at the appropriate age.

Having a buy in to a certain age should slow the issue of more people drawing from it than paying in.

Thanks, Joe.

Removing the income cap is enough and will be where they end up. They're afraid to pull that band-aid off, though.

Going from a non-energy state stance to a full bore energy state. Transportation and energy are part of every aspect of these inflation increases. Asking the Saudis to increase pumping (you know, until after midterms, *wink*, *wink*) isn't the answer. Asking Iran and Venezuela to increase pumping isn't the bloody answer. Turning all our spigots on would be turning a huge knob.

One idea I found intriguing would be letting people opt of the SS program. I understand SS is a security net, but I think there is a path where this can work.

Say everyone pays into SS until they hit the age of 30. At 30 you can opt out of the program and never pay another dime towards it, but never draw a dime from it. Those who think they can do more with that money and are worried about the future of the program can go down their own path. Those who want to stay with it can continue payments and get their payouts at the appropriate age.

Having a buy in to a certain age should slow the issue of more people drawing from it than paying in.
It's an idea. I think it's really dangerous though. Even though SS is not supposed to be the primary source of income, it is for many elderly people. I don't even want to image what it would look like now if those people could have opted out decades ago. I wouldn't underestimate how many people would opt out right now too if they were told they could get another $250-500 a month if they did.

I'm highly against this. We'd end up supporting a ton of these folks anyway.

That’s a good point.

Thanks, Joe.

Removing the income cap is enough and will be where they end up. They're afraid to pull that band-aid off, though.
Would you support that? I would. Easy for me to say since I don't exceed it and probably never will. My biggest concern is usually the impact on small businesses, but places I've worked didn't have many staff outside the owners that did exceed $160k so I'm not sure how much of a burden it would be for them.

Thanks, Joe.

Would you support that? I would. Easy for me to say since I don't exceed it and probably never will. My biggest concern is usually the impact on small businesses, but places I've worked didn't have many staff outside the owners that did exceed $160k so I'm not sure how much of a burden it would be for them.
Yes, and if we reach back into the depths of this board when the DJT tax cut was discussed heavily this is the one thing I lamented wasn't part of it. It was the perfect opportunity.

That’s a good point.
Why not, from the very beginning, create a hybrid system where half goes to SS as normal and the other goes to the worker to decide how to invest?

Going from a non-energy state stance to a full bore energy state. Transportation and energy are part of every aspect of these inflation increases. Asking the Saudis to increase pumping (you know, until after midterms, *wink*, *wink*) isn't the answer. Asking Iran and Venezuela to increase pumping isn't the bloody answer. Turning all our spigots on would be turning a huge knob.
I'm all for green energy and alternatives, but I'd definitely be on board with full bore pumping. In reality, and not including all the transportation needs, we still don't have enough energy to supply the world's demands. Big reason why I'll stay heavily invested in oil.

That’s a good point.
Why not, from the very beginning, create a hybrid system where half goes to SS as normal and the other goes to the worker to decide how to invest?
Because we can't trust people to make wise decisions? If we could, there would be no need for SS at all.

It's an idea. I think it's really dangerous though. Even though SS is not supposed to be the primary source of income, it is for many elderly people. I don't even want to image what it would look like now if those people could have opted out decades ago. I wouldn't underestimate how many people would opt out right now too if they were told they could get another $250-500 a month if they did.
I agree the idea comes with some reservations. Id still be interested to see it fleshed out some more. Its a tough situation because I do believe in having a security net for the elderly, but disagree with forcing people to disproportionately pay into a program that may not even be there for them.

Don't we already through other government aid programs?

That’s a good point.
Oh, that goes back to the genesis of SS. When it was created it was sold to the American people by FDR and cronies as a piggy bank for old age. When challenged and it went to SCOTUS administration lawyers argued that SS was a tax and was legal because it was a tax. It never would have survived scrutiny it if was obvious that it was a piggy bank - just the thing that the administration at the time cried to the hills that it was.

Think of the government programs we have now. They are parsed into food, food for kids, medical care, medical care for kids, utility help, rent help, etc. They're parsed that way for a reason - because we understand that folks, given free reign on aid monies, would in some significant part piss it away and come back with their hand open.

Think of the government programs we have now. They are parsed into food, food for kids, medical care, medical care for kids, utility help, rent help, etc. They're parsed that way for a reason - because we understand that folks, given free reign on aid monies, would in some significant part piss it away and come back with their hand open.
Anything and everything that keeps people on the government teet and dependent on the power of the government.

ecause we can't trust people to make wise decisions?

We have to move away from "lowest common denominator" thinking. Maybe the reason people don't make sound financial decisions is because they aren't taught that stuff in school. Basic financial concepts should be a core part of our kids school curricullum, Right up there with the three R's. Instead of teaching kids about social justice let's teach them about compounding and the like. But those of us who take this stuff seriously shouldn't be penalized due to those who choose to smoke weed instead of study.

We have to move away from "lowest common denominator" thinking. Maybe the reason people don't make sound financial decisions is because they aren't taught that stuff in school. Basic financial concepts should be a core part of our kids school curricullum, Right up there with the three R's. Instead of teaching kids about social justice let's teach them about compounding and the like. But those of us who take this stuff seriously shouldn't be penalized due to those who choose to smoke weed instead of study.
My kid has a mandatory core class on that right now in 7th grade. And this school is in a pretty blue district.

Re: Inflation, a week or so ago the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) urged our FED to pause interest rate increases, citing its potential impact to "less-developed" nations and plunging us into a worldwide recession.

Ok, so normally, the UNCTAD is a full cycle period behind so in case you weren't feeling it in the real world, despite what the WH tries to say, a recession is already here and, more importantly, it is deep enough to concern the WORLD with a worldwide recession should we continue to go in the direction we are currently going.

This is not a small news blurb. This is much more significant than anyone is reporting.

Sure, in theory this is correct. But do you see the horde of politicians who make their living and vote getting off of victimhood declarations to turn around and tell those folks who were unwise with their monetary gifts that they had their chance and blew it? Of course not. They'll label those that resist further aid as heartless monsters and demand more. Always more.

My kid has a mandatory core class on that right now in 7th grade. And this school is in a pretty blue district.

Good. Then if your kid passes the class he/she shouldn't need SS for retirement. Problem solved.
Besides that and my own stressing of personal finances I sure hope they don't need it Just like I won't either. Maybe their generation will be able to solve this like mine, my parents and grandparents couldn't. Not getting my hopes up though since we seem to be the minority here.

Anybody know if the data is public for the consumer price index? How do i know that they arent getting bamboozled by the new package sizes on all food?

Inflation WORSE than expected.

Overall CPI: +8.2% y/y
Core CPI: +6.6%
Gas: +18.2%
Fuel Oil: +58.1%
Electricity: +15.5%
Groceries: +13%
Meat, Poultry, & Fish: +7.7%
Milk: +15.2%
Eggs: +30.5%
Baby Food: +11.8%
Airline Fares: +42.9%
Real Average Hourly Earnings: -3%

These are the numbers that reflect what Americans are facing every day and are why this issue, not abortion, will be what sways the voters.

What are some of the Republican solutions to inflation that they would push through if they had the power? All shtick aside, what is their plan or can be done? I seriously have no idea what else can or should be done other than ride this out and get people to stop spending money on anything except necessitates.
As long as it’s not the same plan of “act like everything is fine, continue to be oblivious” I think Americans will take it. Lucky for you and everyone we only have a month more to deal with Left control.
You have more faith than me then. :thumbup:

If they get up there and tell it like it is, "it's bad, really bad, and going to be bad for a while" just like Powell has said, I'm not sure that eases any pain. The only plan I've heard about is what is going on now with the Fed raising rates until they see inflation peaking and begin the pivot. But that pivot isn't the halfway point to our economic problems. It's likely just the real beginning of a recession as unemployment starts rising fast and wages drop. This is the part that worries me the most for people because you can't bail them out. Doing that just risks bringing back inflation.

If they get up there and tell it like it is, "it's bad, really bad, and going to be bad for a while" just like Powell has said, I'm not sure that eases any pain. The only plan I've heard about is what is going on now with the Fed raising rates until they see inflation peaking and begin the pivot. But that pivot isn't the halfway point to our economic problems. It's likely just the real beginning of a recession as unemployment starts rising fast and wages drop. This is the part that worries me the most for people because you can't bail them out. Doing that just risks bringing back inflation.
As a famous man once asked "Are you better off than you were four two years ago?"

Tight money is the answer. Has to be. But we also need tax cuts as the other side. Funny how when you write it down on paper it becomes so obvious to "just do the opposite of what the Biden administration has done" to fix it.

As a famous man once asked "Are you better off than you were four two years ago?"

Tight money is the answer. Has to be. But we also need tax cuts as the other side. Funny how when you write it down on paper it becomes so obvious to "just do the opposite of what the Biden administration has done" to fix it.
Can you please unpack this a little more? I'm not smart enough to understand how tax cuts help but don't lead to more available spending and lowering inflation.

These are the numbers that reflect what Americans are facing every day and are why this issue, not abortion, will be what sways the voters.
I think it will have a huge effect on a lot of peoples for sure. I can't do it though. I won't BS you or anyone and say I'm NOT voting democrat this time around. I'm in a no exemptions state with a state GOP not willing to budge. With 3 ovulaters in the family, my vote goes towards their choice.

BUT... If that wasn't the case I'd seriously be willing to listen to real economic/inflation solutions from the GOP. Again, no promises that I would vote GOP in 2024 since I don't see my state changing, but I'll give it a real listening. That's my only guarantee.

Can you please unpack this a little more? I'm not smart enough to understand how tax cuts help but don't lead to more available spending and lowering inflation.
It does seem counter-intuitive on the surface, but human nature takes over and causes the desired outcome. What happens is decreasing taxes put more money in the pockets of Citizens during a period of known inflation and economic stress. The result is more money in the economy BUT it's not government provided money. Instead, it is completely controlled by the spender and since we , the spenders, know times are tough, we tend to become very discerning on how we let those dollars go, creating a very stable "fair price for goods" ratio. Psychologically, it boosts the moral of the citizen to feel they have more control and spending power. The actual value of the present-day dollar in hand in strengthened over the promise of a future-dollar supplied by the government in form of aid or relief at an undetermined time in the future. Circulation of money in the economy is bolstered, confidence in the markets return, eventually allowing for relaxation of rate hikes and a return to normalcy.

I think it will have a huge effect on a lot of peoples for sure. I can't do it though. I won't BS you or anyone and say I'm NOT voting democrat this time around. I'm in a no exemptions state with a state GOP not willing to budge. With 3 ovulaters in the family, my vote goes towards their choice.

BUT... If that wasn't the case I'd seriously be willing to listen to real economic/inflation solutions from the GOP. Again, no promises that I would vote GOP in 2024 since I don't see my state changing, but I'll give it a real listening. That's my only guarantee.
Thank you for a very candid response. Honestly, we don't tend to speak like that much to each other around here. Very refreshing.

I won't badger you like a used car salesman but FWIW, please indulge my one persuasion based on what you said to consider.

I don't know which state you reside in so I take "no exemption" as meaning that's it/settled. But I offer a choice that even if your state never changes, each state has its own regulations and travel to another state, although perhaps not convenient IF the choice was ever come to be and needed to be made, is possible. On the other hand, ALL these numbers you are seeing above WILL continue to impact you ongoing (not just, maybe the other might happen at some point) and also WILL continue to impact all other citizens in the country. It is a choice of "maybe vs. definitely" and one of "do for me or do for all".

So, I urge everyone, please consider the greater good for all people and for the country. Abortion, guns, religion, etc., all these things can be very passionate centralized topics for people but if we don't address the ones that actually control our ability to be free citizens in the country, the others are academic. If I were a die-hard gun person and my choice was vote for the party that corrected the economy but also like gun restrictions or vote the one that would die with me defending guns I would still have to side with the fixing of the economy because ultimately, if I can't afford to work and live and feed my family, what good is it if I can afford a gun or the bullets it holds? Heating my home, driving my car, eating all are necessary priorities over other issues that I can always live to fight another day for.

BUT... If that wasn't the case I'd seriously be willing to listen to real economic/inflation solutions from the GOP.
If they have solutions I have yet to hear them.
There are solutions. You just don't approve of them. Let's make it extremely simple: did we have this economic/inflation problem 2 years ago? 5 years ago? We didn't. What changed? Policies. Was the pandemic a factor? Yes but only to a degree because these are the exact same scenarios we have experienced before and what is the common denominator? They all begin with irresponsible spending in government by very aggressive "reform" bills that are corrected by anti-inflation measures. On the simplest level, the fix is to simply undo the policies of this administration or put another party into office who will.

Sadly I agree. I wish I didn’t, I’d in principle want it privatized. But the reality is when we created this entitlement, and that’s what it was because we started by paying people who had never “paid in”, we created a reliance and dependence. The only way to keep it afloat will be to remove the cap. Again I wholeheartedly hate that in principle, but again realize that we’ve created this dependence and we have it now to support. That’s not to blame anyone because we’ve now all paid into this system and yes we all want what we deem is ours, but the reality is there is nothing that’s ours. Our money has been used to pay the previous folks and so on and so on.

ETA: Means testing will be another thing that will be floated as well. I’m not sure if that’s going to be necessary along with the cap removal and would require more overhead to implement.

Last edited:
BUT... If that wasn't the case I'd seriously be willing to listen to real economic/inflation solutions from the GOP.

Here is the House Republican's "Commitment to America Plan":

From the plan

Inflation: Curb wasteful spending, pass pro-growth tax and deregulatory policies
Energy: Maximize production of reliable, American-made energy and cut the permitting process time in half
Supply Chain: Move supply chain away from China, expand US manufacturing, enhance America’s economic competitiveness and cyber resiliency

@Shutout Appreciate the replies, bro. I'm all for tax cuts, any time, all the time, no matter what sort of economic times were in. My earlier post may have come off differently than that and just wanted to clarify. I just wasn't sure how it would relate to inflation, but your suggestion/theory is one I'll ponder on for sure.

Here is the House Republican's "Commitment to America Plan":

From the plan

Inflation: Curb wasteful spending, pass pro-growth tax and deregulatory policies
Energy: Maximize production of reliable, American-made energy and cut the permitting process time in half
Supply Chain: Move supply chain away from China, expand US manufacturing, enhance America’s economic competitiveness and cyber resiliency
Supply chain seems to have a ton of bi-partisan support. That was a big part of the CHIPS Act. The only thing I don't like about these plans (both parties do it), is that it always gives a bunch of free money to big corps and picks and chooses which ones.

Gas Company price hikes
Putin price hke
OPEC price hike

blame anyone you can!! I will say at least Biden did the Trump/Ukraine threaten 'em act and tried ..... I got 3 words for OPEC " you need to produce more oil !! "

Tom Elliot has a good thread with some Biden Admin talking points from today. As I mentioned earlier, these are they type of quotes people are just done with. The current course is going to run a high inflation until 2025. We're seeing people hit the panic button after 6 months and we know for a fact fuel is going to shoot up once we stop depleting the SOR.

Twitter

@BrianDeeseNEC
on accelerating inflation: "We're making progress ... We just have to – we just have to stay at it. We have policies that are going to make a difference. We have policies that have already made a difference. We just have to stay the course"

@econjared
on accelerating inflation: Everything is "moving in the right direction"

@CeciliaERouse

on the shrinking economy & historic inflation: “Our economy is strong, it’s resilient”

From today, Biden: “If Republicans win, inflation is going to get worse. It’s that simple.”

I mean that is pathetic. Look at the inflation rate SINCE you were president. The Biden admin just thinks we are complete morons.

Users who are viewing this thread