What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Marlins chase history in this thread -- positive vibes only! (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
MLB record for losses in one season since going to the 162-game schedule: 120

1962 Mets were 40-120 (two games from their inaugural season were never made up).

Can the Marlins get it done?

Let's do this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Marlins attendance is down 11,000 fans per game compared to this same point last season and Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald writes that no one is watching them on television either:

Marlins TV ratings have been dreadful, with the first two home games this week generating a 1.8 and 1.5–numbers comparable to daytime game shows–followed by Wednesday’s embarrassing 0.8–equaling .8 percent of Dade/Broward homes with TV sets.

According to Sports Business Journal‘s numbers published back in October no team had an average rating below 1.0 last season. I’m not sure of the exact numbers, but based on last year the Marlins are likely getting fewer than 20,000 people to watch the games on television so far.

:lol:

So poetic. I would have a perma-boner if this team goes 27-135 and plays in front of a completely empty ballpark.

Here was their inaugural opening day lineup in 1993.

Scott Pose

Bret Barberie

Junior Felix

Orestes Destrade

Dave Magadan

Benito Santiago

Jeff Conine

Walt Weiss

Charlie Hough

I think that is comparatively better relative to the rest of the league than the current lineup--and that first lineup was comprised of rejects from the other teams.

I will say that Fernandez is dirty. Only 20 years old and teams are just giving him the curve ball if he can get it over. Kid could be good. Marlins apparently have him on a pitch count so Phillies, Yankees, Angels and Dodgers fans are already thanking them for saving his arm for the future.

Marlins baseball sponsored by South Florida Honda.

I wonder if that's where MOP got his Accord Coupe that he gets so many compliments on??? :unsure:

I will say that Fernandez is dirty. Only 20 years old and teams are just giving him the curve ball if he can get it over. Kid could be good. Marlins apparently have him on a pitch count so Phillies, Yankees, Angels and Dodgers fans are already thanking them for saving his arm for the future.
Fernandez is the only thing watching on this team.

Juan Pierre has 592 career SBs, which puts him at #19 all-time. He could make it into the top 15 with a good season.

Marlins down 8-0 10-0 tonight. A break here or there and they'd be right in this thing.

I'm gonna go ahead and update this to 3-13 a little early.

The only thing better than them losing all the time is the fact that they're totally uncompetitive.

Miami Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria personally mandated the lineup card change that flip-flopped starting pitchers Jose Fernandez and Ricky Nolasco in a doubleheader Tuesday and left Marlins players furious with his continued meddling, three sources with knowledge of the situation told Yahoo! Sports.

Loria insisted Fernandez, the team's prized 20-year-old rookie, pitch in the first half of the doubleheader at frigid Target Field instead of the scheduled Nolasco because the day game was expected to be warmer. The temperature at Fernandez's first pitch (38 degrees) was actually colder than at the beginning of Nolasco's start (42 degrees).

Rookie manager Mike Redmond delivered the news to Nolasco about 2½ hours before the first game against the Minnesota Twins, and it did not go over well with him or his teammates. Standard protocol for doubleheaders is that veterans choose which game they want to pitch. Not only did Loria ignore that and further alienate Nolasco, the Marlins' highest-paid player who has previously requested a trade, he sabotaged Redmond less than 20 games into his managerial career.

I'll be taking 60+ little leaguers to a Marlins game this Sunday vs. the Cubs. After taking my son to 20+ games last year, this will probably be the only game I go to this year, hate giving this guy any of my $.

:tryingtobepositive:

Miami Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria personally mandated the lineup card change that flip-flopped starting pitchers Jose Fernandez and Ricky Nolasco in a doubleheader Tuesday and left Marlins players furious with his continued meddling, three sources with knowledge of the situation told Yahoo! Sports.Loria insisted Fernandez, the team's prized 20-year-old rookie, pitch in the first half of the doubleheader at frigid Target Field instead of the scheduled Nolasco because the day game was expected to be warmer. The temperature at Fernandez's first pitch (38 degrees) was actually colder than at the beginning of Nolasco's start (42 degrees).Rookie manager Mike Redmond delivered the news to Nolasco about 2½ hours before the first game against the Minnesota Twins, and it did not go over well with him or his teammates. Standard protocol for doubleheaders is that veterans choose which game they want to pitch. Not only did Loria ignore that and further alienate Nolasco, the Marlins' highest-paid player who has previously requested a trade, he sabotaged Redmond less than 20 games into his managerial career.
:lmao:What a freakin disaster.

I'll be taking 60+ little leaguers to a Marlins game this Sunday vs. the Cubs. After taking my son to 20+ games last year, this will probably be the only game I go to this year, hate giving this guy any of my $.

:tryingtobepositive:
Baseball is forever, Loria isn't

MLB record for losses in one season since going to the 162-game schedule: 120 1962 Mets were 40-120 (two games from their inaugural season were never made up).
I cannot describe the level of awesomeness if the Marlins AND Astros obliterate the record.If only to hear the spin Bud puts on it.

I sort of liked what I've seen from the Astros lately. The only problem going against them is their schedule. If they were in the NL East, they'd be a few games above the Fish and if the Fish were in the NL West, I'd fully expect them to break the Mets record. I also don't see the Stros moving too many pieces before the deadline while the Marlins are likely to move Nolasco and anyone with a pulse. And I'd think they'll have to move Mike sooner rather than later b/c his arbitration years are much more valuable to another team.

ETA: ESPN has Houston with the 15th SOS while the Marlins are at 29th. And according to Bill James pythag, they should be 10-20 so they got that going for them.

Miami Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria personally mandated the lineup card change that flip-flopped starting pitchers Jose Fernandez and Ricky Nolasco in a doubleheader Tuesday and left Marlins players furious with his continued meddling, three sources with knowledge of the situation told Yahoo! Sports.Loria insisted Fernandez, the team's prized 20-year-old rookie, pitch in the first half of the doubleheader at frigid Target Field instead of the scheduled Nolasco because the day game was expected to be warmer. The temperature at Fernandez's first pitch (38 degrees) was actually colder than at the beginning of Nolasco's start (42 degrees).Rookie manager Mike Redmond delivered the news to Nolasco about 2½ hours before the first game against the Minnesota Twins, and it did not go over well with him or his teammates. Standard protocol for doubleheaders is that veterans choose which game they want to pitch. Not only did Loria ignore that and further alienate Nolasco, the Marlins' highest-paid player who has previously requested a trade, he sabotaged Redmond less than 20 games into his managerial career.
:lmao:What a freakin disaster.
Fernandez is the only good thing going for this team. He looks like a future cy young winner in the making.If I'm the owner I'm letting him have any perk I can until I can put a team around him.

31 year old career minor leaguer Ed Lucas finally gets the call to the show. He's spent ten years in the minors chasing the dream after getting drafted out of Dartmouth.

B-R page

I've never seen a worse lineup than the one the marlins are running out there right now. It's amazing they've won any games at all.

Premier said:
I've never seen a worse lineup than the one the marlins are running out there right now. It's amazing they've won any games at all.
Their better hitters are the young guys that don't have enough ABs to qualify so technically their LEADING hitter is Polanco at .237. The OF with guys like Ozuna,Ruggiano, and lately Coghlan have at least been hitting for average the last couple weeks but the IF is pathetic at the plate. Hechevarria is awesome in the field but totally overmatched at the plate and should really be in the minors. Polanco and Dobbs at the corners are a joke.

And they announced on the broadcast tonight that Stanton is experiencing pain in his knee so they're slowing down his comeback.

Not even runners interference could help the Marlins tonight.

If Mike Redmond doesn't keep a bottle in his office, he should start now.

The Houston Astros claimed left-hander Wade LeBlanc off waivers from the Miami Marlins on Saturday and expect to use him out of the bullpen to provide depth in long relief. LeBlanc plans to join the team in time for Sunday's series finale in Kansas City, at which point the Astros will make a corresponding roster move.

LeBlanc went 1-5 with a 5.18 ERA in seven starts for the Marlins this season. He's 20-32 with a 4.47 ERA in six major league seasons spent with San Diego and Miami. Astros manager Bo Porter said he's familiar with former second-round pick going back to LeBlanc's days with the Padres. His best season was in 2010, when he was 8-12 with a 4.25 ERA.

Miami is on pace for 117 losses (technically 116.8). In a twist, the reason they most likely won't beat the Mets record is b/c of the Mets. 6 of their 17 wins have come via the Mets. They've played them in 15% of their games yet over 35% of their wins have come against them.

You never who you might run into in New York City. For Marlins rookie Derek Dietrich, it was actor Daniel-Day Leweis.Dietrich — who is starting at second base today against the New York Mets — said he spent a few minutes of his off-day talking baseball with the Oscar winning actor when they bumped into each other on a street in Greenwich Village.Here’s how it unfolded Thursday:Dietrich said he had just finished up with an appearance at the MLB Fan Cave and was headed to the subway when his agent, David Meter, nudged him: “Hey, D, that’s Daniel-Day Lewis on the corner.”Lewis has won three Academy Awards for Best Actor for his portrayals of Abraham Lincoln in Lincoln (2012), Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood (2007) and Christy Brown in My Left Foot (1989).As Dietrich recalled this morning, “We look and he’s talking to a young kid, who was his son. We stood there and we waited. He handed his son some money. His son went one way, he went the other. He started walking towards us.“My agent goes, ‘Hey, Daniel.’ He looked and says, ‘I’m trying to fly under the radar. You caught me.’Meter introduced Dietrich to Lewis and explained, “We’re in town playing the Mets. He’s a Marlins player.”“(Lewis) said he enjoyed baseball. He asked me how my journey to the big leagues was. ‘Is this your first year?’ I said, ‘Yeah.’ He said, ‘How did you get here.’ I told him Georgia Tech and I started with the Rays and then I got traded and now I’m here. He enjoyed that.”Lewis posed for a photo and went his way.“As soon as I walked away I was like, ‘Man, I should have invited him to the game with his son. I’m sure he would have wanted to come,’” Dietrich said.“I love history. I’m a huge history buff and I loved the movie Lincoln. To see him was pretty cool.”

An OF of Morrison, Ozuna and Stanton actually makes this team worth watching for a few minutes a week. That should happen pretty soon.

Users who are viewing this thread