What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (6 Viewers)

#6 Oh Well (The Rockets)

I doubt anyone in this thread has ever heard of the Rockets unless they grew up in the Detroit area in the 70's. In the late 70's to early 80's they were THE hot local band that most expected to go national like Seger did a few years before.
Oh Well was their first big hit and was played here all the time. Being young and dumb I probably heard it hundreds of times before I learned it was a cover. They had a few more local hits before breaking up and fading into obscurity. It was only a couple years ago that a couple of their songs were finally available on streaming services.

Don Quixote:

Você - Tim Maia (Eduardo Araújo)
Song: first vote
Cover artist: first vote
Original artist: first vote
I had Tim Maia’s Gostava Tanto de Voce in my worldwide 31 list. I haven’t decided what artist I would choose if we did a MAD Artist 31 Round 3, but, if I went back to Brazil, Tim Maia probably would be my top candidate. A bit of background on him below.

The Tijuca neighborhood of Rio de Janiero produced some great artists. Tim Maia was the first kid in the neighborhood to own a guitar, and taught some other kids in the neighborhood how to play, including Roberto Carlos, Erasmo Carlos, and (of course) Jorge Ben Jor. They became known as the “Matoso Gang.” Like Jorge Ben Jor, Tim Maia was infatuated with the rock and roll coming out of the US and Europe.

Tim Maia spent five years in the United States beginning in 1959, and got into soul music; he joined up with a band, but got deported for marijuana possession and returned to Brazil. As a result of his time in the US, his music includes a mix of songs in English and Portuguese. (So, xenoglossophics have less to fear with Tim Maia than with Jorge Ben Jor if I go that direction.) The soul music that he fell in love with in the United States definitely influenced his music.

It took him a bit of time to get his career going in Brazil, starting out as more of a songwriter. Você was written by Maia, but first appeared on an Eduardo Araujo album that Maia wrote many of the songs for (including some rock songs translated from English to Portuguese). He eventually got a record deal and recorded Você himself. It takes a minute for the soul to kick in, but the song takes off from there.

His career pretty quickly took off after his first album, and life is the stuff what you would expect of a 70s rock legend: five marriages, drugs, a couple of albums made during the time he was in a UFO cult, more drugs, and missed gigs. Life of excess and died too young at the age of 55. But, as he sang, nobody can live forever.

My parents are avid watchers of both the Wolfpack men and women, and they are upset about the overlapping times. I think I can accommodate their viewing pleasure. I have my grandmother's old TV as a spare, and I told my mom I will put it in their family room/den, and stream the women's game via my computer on to my grandmother's TV. They can watch the games side by side. I think that will work.

Which TV service do they have? On Youtube TV, I've been watching in Multiview, and the Multiview options allow you to mix men's and women's games. :)
They have Spectrum. They can get a little picture of another channel in the corner of the TV, but it is really small.

Uruk-Hai:

Brother Louie – Stories (Hot Chocolate)
Original artist: two votes – Stories (1); Every 1’s a Winner (1)
I find it hilarious that a band named Hot Chocolate recorded THIS song. The original isn't as amped-up as the cover and it has a spoken-word section in the middle (& again at the end) that is missing from the cover. The original version always sounded to me like a song War would have done.

The hit version (in America, it got to #1) is more fuzzed-out and the singer sounds like the love child of Robert Plant & Janis Joplin. I can't recall Stories having another hit and I think they were kind of like Looking Glass in that they wanted to be a hard rock band - I may be completely off base on that, though.

Anyway, when this came out it was during my prime Top 40 listening years and I loved it.
I haven't heard this song in decades. It's so 70s, and I love it.

Ilov80s:

Heartbeats - Jose Gonzalez (The Knife)

These are the two I've been referencing that I'd expected to get a lot of votes but are just showing up for the first time now.

"Heartbeats" is completely unknown to me, as are Jose Gonzalez and The Knife. I have a lot of holes in my 21st-century musical knowledge ... the little bit that I do know is probably from this board.

Lyle Lovett was made to sing "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover," and while I could say that about most songs, this one perfectly fits his way to singing with both sorrow and humor. His phrasing kills me on this. No one else should ever sing it again.

I don't know Lovett's music, but I love "50 Ways" and Simon's plaintive delivery. Wasn't sure what to expect here, but Lovett did a nice job doing this one his own way. The backing vocals threatened like waves over a levee to overtop Lovett's, but the overall performance stayed in balance. LOVED the trombone making an appearance during the bridge!

Thanks for this one, @higgins

Dear Mr. Fantasy - Southern Culture On the Skids

Southern Culture on the Skids aka SCOTS is a NC band that has been around since the early mid-80s. The band is Rick Miller (guitar/vocals), Mary Huff (bass, vocals), and Dave Hartman (drums). They have a lot of different sounds such as rock, americana, rockabilly, psychobilly, southern fried punk, surf, country, swamp pop, r&b, etc. They say it is toe-sucking geek rock. Whatever they play, they are good, and their live shows are wild and fun.

Their cover of Traffic's Dear Mr. Fantasy has Mary on lead vocals, and they rock this tune. It's from their 2021 album At Home with Southern Culture on the Skids, which was mainly recorded in Rick's living room.

Uruk-Hai:

Brother Louie – Stories (Hot Chocolate)
Original artist: two votes – Stories (1); Every 1’s a Winner (1)
I find it hilarious that a band named Hot Chocolate recorded THIS song. The original isn't as amped-up as the cover and it has a spoken-word section in the middle (& again at the end) that is missing from the cover. The original version always sounded to me like a song War would have done.

The hit version (in America, it got to #1) is more fuzzed-out and the singer sounds like the love child of Robert Plant & Janis Joplin. I can't recall Stories having another hit and I think they were kind of like Looking Glass in that they wanted to be a hard rock band - I may be completely off base on that, though.

Anyway, when this came out it was during my prime Top 40 listening years and I loved it.
OMG. I haven't heard this song in DECADES. I didn't know it was a cover, even though I"m pretty sure I heard Hot Chocolate doing this.

I think I just aged a few decades.

JMLs secret identity:

Like an Angel Passing through My Room - Madonna (Abba)
This is beautiful. Why the heck wasn't this released? It goes with "This Used To Be My Playground" from the soundtrack to A League Of Their Own.
26 Points - Like an Angel Passing through My Room - Madonna (Abba)
Original

Not much to say about this one. Its the last track on the Visitors album and The only interesting thing about it is that Anni-Frid does a solo vocal. The only Abba song ever to feature just one vocalist allegedly.

Cover
As Part of Madonnas 1990s renaissance, once she did the ghastly Hanky Panky, she had nowhere to go but up, into a better artist she got classically trained for the tough shoot for Evita. That also put more polish on her other songs in the 90s, most notably Secret, Take a Bow, Frozen and the fantastic dance track Ray of Light. At the turn of the 2000s, after the dreadful American Pie cover, Madonna recorded an album with William Orbit titled Music. This Abba song was chosen as a song, but discarded and not released. Not sure why. It was leaked onto the Internet in 2008. By now Madonna had used Gimme Gimme Gimme as the basis for her Hung Up track in 2005

Abba - 18 - Cover 8.
The original is so unremarkable, but Madonna does a wonderful job breathing life into it.

Next Up, an instrumental, one of the few Abba did. Covered wonderfully by a well known musician.

26 Points - Common People - William Shatner (Pulp)
Original

This song is often called the best song to come from Britpop. A stretch too far imho, but Pulp are on the Mount Rushmore of Britpop bands. This song made #2 on the british charts, their highest charting song and the start of a 5 run of singles that made the top 10. The album most of these came from, a Different Class reached #1 .

Cover
On paper this sounds like a stupid idea. Get William Shatner, a hammy actor and notorious for one of the worst covers of all time with his version of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, add in a Joe Jackson vocal and a heavier production than the original and it sounds like pure madness. It is, but its magic.

Originals 9 - Covers 17. The cover wins here. It is just pure genius.

Next Up - Another one weve already seen multiple times. I actually hate the second part of it so have excluded it entirely.

A full-on 13 Jimmy Buffet records (no offense, but only kept The Greatest Hits)
Since you kept one, does that mean the other 12 went to the dump? 😟
Don't fret, Simey. I'm giving one of my friends a chance to go through the unwanteds and the duplicates before donating them to the local record store. I know for sure he won't want any Buffett records though so they're yours if you want 'em.

Ilov80s:

These are the two I've been referencing that I'd expected to get a lot of votes but are just showing up for the first time now.

"Heartbeats" is completely unknown to me, as are Jose Gonzalez and The Knife. I have a lot of holes in my 21st-century musical knowledge ... the little bit that I do know is probably from this board.

I posted the Gonzalez version in shukethread™ not knowing (until now) that it was a cover. Looks like I need to check out The Knife.

Twenty-five pointers

This is what I'm here for:
Uruk-Hai: Can You Get to That - Mavis Staples (Funkadelic)
Dr. Octopus: One More Cup of Coffee - The White Stripes (Robert Zimmerman)
Just Win Baby: Wonderwall - Ryan Adams (Oasis) - including this because I don't recall commenting on it the first time.
landrys hat: California Dreaming - Lee Moses (Mamas & the Papas)
Oliver Humanzee: Down by the River - Low & Dirty Three (Neil Young & Crazy Horse)

Obvious favorites:
Galileo: Jack-A-Roe - Grateful Dead (traditional traced to the late 1700’s)
Hawks64: Waste - Dave Matthews Band (Phish)
Val Rannous: Gallows Pole - Page/Plant (Traditional)

Other favorites:
simsarge: Just A Gigolo / I Ain't Got Nobody - David Lee Roth (Louis Prima) - Just reminds me of the 80's
Ilov80s: My Back Pages - The Byrds (Bob Dylan)
Eephus: The Passenger - Siouxsie and the Banshees (Iggy Pop)
rockaction: (I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone – The Monkees (Paul Revere and the Raiders)
Mt. Man: Sinnerman - Nina Simone (Traditional)
Doug B: Stay - Jackson Browne (Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs)

Not familiar with original or cover and enjoyed them both:
scorchy: Ode to a Black Man - The Dirtbombs (Phil Lynott)

I love this song and no idea it was a cover and my mind is blown:
krista4: I Figured You Out – Elliott Smith (Mary Lou Lord)

Twenty-six pointers

This is what I'm here for:
simey: Dear Mr. Fantasy – Southern Culture on the Skids (Traffic)

Obvious favorites:
titusbramble: All The Young Dudes - David Bowie (Mott The Hoople)
Galileo: Traveling Riverside Blues - Led Zeppelin (Robert Johnson)
Chaos34: The Man Who Sold the World - Nirvana (David Bowie)

Other favorites:
Hawks64: I Shall Be Released - Eddie Vedder, Jack Johnson, Zach Gill (Bob Dylan)
higgins: And I Love Her - Pat Metheny (Beatles)
krista4: Everybody’s Talkin’ – Bill Withers (Fred Neil) - Fred Neil? If I didn't know Harry Nilsson wasn't the original I would have included it on my list.

No clue these favorites were covers:
Uruk-Hai: Brother Louie – Stories (Hot Chocolate)
Ilov80s: Heartbeats - Jose Gonzalez (The Knife)

A full-on 13 Jimmy Buffet records (no offense, but only kept The Greatest Hits)
Since you kept one, does that mean the other 12 went to the dump? 😟
Don't fret, Simey. I'm giving one of my friends a chance to go through the unwanteds and the duplicates before donating them to the local record store. I know for sure he won't want any Buffett records though so they're yours if you want 'em.
I just don't want them to reside in a landfill (if they are in good condition). I'm happy to know that they will make their way to the local record store, where someone will have a big smile when they score some classic Jimmy on vinyl. 🙂

#6 Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World - Israel Kamakawiwo’ole
Rainbow - Spotify; Youtube
World - Spotify ; Youtube

The thing is, I'm not really a fan of "Over the Rainbow" in general. This is a totally personal reason/story/random fact from my life, and primarily applies to the original. Though with every version of it catching some shade. So when I first heard this version by Israel (IZ), I was wary. Needless to say that it more than grew on me, and quickly. Also having "What a Wonderful World" in there might have helped, as of course I love that. Though it's also IZ's soft, sweet, soulful voice that carries me through. Which is good, considering this version is simply that and some ukelele playing.

We had "Rainbow" by itself from IZ earlier in the countdown, but this is the version I remember hearing more often. Certainly on the radio, though this appeared in a number of movies and TV shows. Yeah, for a while, IZ was as big as Hawaii, nearly in the literal sense. Though someone with a voice similar to many singers who looked like they weight 150 pounds wet, IZ was huge, topping out at 757 pounds. To say he struggled with obesity is a vast understatement, and it's unfortunate if not surprising to know that he died at age 38 at 1997. But still, quite the impact.

At #5 there's a first appearance of a well-known song. It hits that mythical window of being the 2nd version recorded... by maybe a month.

* The wrong version of "Brother Louie" is the on the playlist. It has the original version by Hot Chocolate, but should be the cover by Stories. I think.

* The wrong version of "Brother Louie" is the on the playlist. It has the original version by Hot Chocolate, but should be the cover by Stories. I think.
That is correct. I linked the original in my writeup, but my selected version is in my original post (I hope :oldunsure: )

That is correct. I linked the original in my writeup, but my selected version is in my original post (I hope :oldunsure: )
It is in your original post. I listened to it in your post yesterday, and it was a fun blast back to the past. It was in k4's original post, too.

Oliver Humanzee:

D-7 - Nirvana (The Wipers)
Cover artist: five votes – Where Did You Sleep Last Night (2); The Man Who Sold the World (1); D-7 (1); Love Buzz (1)

krista4:

Everybody’s Talkin’ – Bill Withers (Fred Neil)
Song: two votes – Bill Withers (1); The Seldom Scene (1)
Original artist: two votes – Everybody’s Talkin’ (2)

Loving the contributions from the 4 household!

Oliver Humanzee:

Cover artist: five votes – Where Did You Sleep Last Night (2); The Man Who Sold the World (1); D-7 (1); Love Buzz (1)

krista4:

Pip, where's Dr Ian been? I look forward to his commentary in these drafts and haven't seen him around lately. I hope he's ok.

Oliver Humanzee:

krista4:

Pip, where's Dr Ian been? I look forward to his commentary in these drafts and haven't seen him around lately. I hope he's ok.
He's a busy guy. I was corresponding with him the other day about my fantasy baseball league that he used to be in. His Facebook page suggests nothing out of the ordinary. So I'm pretty confident that I can say he's OK.

Covers from #6 that I know and like and have not previously discussed in this thread:

Brother Louie – Stories (Hot Chocolate) -- Always loved the contrast between the music that is upbeat and the story that is ... not. Fun fact: Foreigner was formed when some of the original members met during sessions for a solo album by Stories lead singer Ian Lloyd.
All The Young Dudes - David Bowie (Mott The Hoople) -- The whole "artists covering themselves" category completely slipped my mind when I was makin my list. There's another one that's a pretty egregious miss on my part, but it's a song I've drafted a squillion times elsewhere. It hasn't shown up yet, but there's a certain poster who is a decent bet to have remembered it.
Traveling Riverside Blues - Led Zeppelin (Robert Johnson) -- A stompin' good time. That it was left off their proper albums is a head-scratcher.
Wild Is the Wind - David Bowie (Johnny Mathis) -- This suits Bowie well because he always had a bit of lounge lizard in him.
Black Magic Woman - Santana (Fleetwood Mac) -- Not as radical a reworking as they did with Tito Puente's Oye Como Va, Santana nonetheless made this the definitive version of the slinky Black Magic Woman.
My Little Red Book - Love (Manfred Mann) -- Supercharged garage rock, and a great way to introduce Arthur Lee to the world. I saw Lee and "Love" (no one else from the '60s and '70s lineups) in 1994 and 2002, and they played this both times.
The Man Who Sold the World - Nirvana (David Bowie) -- I'm a little shocked this hasn't shown up until now. Pretty much everyone I know adores this version.
D-7 - Nirvana (The Wipers) -- And here we get a very different side of Nirvana. Kurt is positively dervish-like on this performance.
Everybody’s Talkin’ – Bill Withers (Fred Neil) -- There's another cover on Withers' first album that's more stereotypical of krista's tastes. But this one is strong as well, featuring the plaintive vocal style that made Withers so appealing throughout the '70s.

Ilov80s:

Chaos34:

The Man Who Sold the World - Nirvana (David Bowie)

These are the two I've been referencing that I'd expected to get a lot of votes but are just showing up for the first time now. Will they make up for it with a bunch of top five selections? Nobody knows!
Maybe I'll remember it when I get to the #6 playlist (I'm behind and still on #7), but I don't recognize Heartbeats by title.

#6 Oh Well (The Rockets)

I doubt anyone in this thread has ever heard of the Rockets unless they grew up in the Detroit area in the 70's. In the late 70's to early 80's they were THE hot local band that most expected to go national like Seger did a few years before.
Oh Well was their first big hit and was played here all the time. Being young and dumb I probably heard it hundreds of times before I learned it was a cover. They had a few more local hits before breaking up and fading into obscurity. It was only a couple years ago that a couple of their songs were finally available on streaming services.
I remember them because they got this video on MTV: Rollin' by the Record Machine. Check out the contemporary arcade in the beginning!

Two of the members had been in friends of the thread Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels.

A few thoughts on a few songs that aren't repeats or that I haven't commented on...

- The "All The Young Dudes" cover by Bowie is fantastic, but he is the person who wrote it, so he sounds natural doing his own tune. I love that opening guitar riff. All glam rockers unite!
- The Isley Brother's cover of "Summer Breeze" is a smooth groove, and Ernie Isley's guitar really shines.
- I love June and Johnny's cover of "It Ain't Me Babe." A lot of my favorite Johnny is his songs with June. She was the yin to his yang. ☯️
- Led Zeppelin did blues rock very well, and their cover of "Traveling Riverside Blues" is one of those blues rock songs.
- I don't know what Tim Macia is singing about on "Você," but I like his voice and the music.
- Simon Khorolskiy & Chris Rupp do a pretty cover of "Wayfaring Stranger."
- "Heartbeats" by Jose Gonzalez is another pretty cover. I like the acoustic guitar and his voice a lot, and I like this cover a lot better than the original.
- David Bowie is back with his wonderful cover of "Wild Is The Wind." Johnny Mathis has a great voice, and David does a great job using his own vocals to match the spirit of the song. Bowie is a great vocalist in his own right. He is one of my all-time favorites.
- I like all live versions of "I Shall Be Released," and Vedder, Jack Johnson, and friends sound great to me on their rendition.
- I dig the guitar on the "Oh Well' cover by The Rockets. I like the whole cover in general.
- Hearing this other cover of "Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" by Isreal Kamasomethingoranother made my eyes well up. 🌈 MUJ
- I love the music in Santana's cover of "Black Magic Woman."
- I agree with zam with loving this live Europe version of "Morning Dew" by Grateful Dead. There is so much live material from the Dead, and Europe '72 remains as one of my favorite live recordings by them.
- Simply Red does a good job on their cover of "Money's Too Tight (to Mention). I listened to The Valentine Brothers' original, and I dig it.
- Aretha Franklin shows off her vocals in her cover of "Nessun Dorma."
- Nirvana's cover of Bowie's "The Man Who Sold the World" is very good, and is better known than Bowie's original. Hopefully it turned some people on to Bowie.
- Pat Metheny's cover of "And I Love Her" is beautiful. I find Metheny's guitar playing very soothing on this and other works by him.
- Nirvana's live cover of "D-7" thrashes. 🤘
- Bill Withers can sing anything and it sounds divine, including his cover of "Everybody's Talkin."
- "Like An Angel Passing Through the Room" by Madonna is nice. I think it's on par with ABBA's original.
- blah blah blah blah blah Blah
- Love's cover of "My Little Red Book" has that 60's sound to it. Sometimes I forget just how far back Manfred Mann's discography goes.
- heehawww. 🤠 Tom T. Hall's cover of "Fox on the Run" is quite different than Manfred Mann's original. He fiddled 🎻 and banjo'd 🪕 it up, and it has got me looking for someone to kick my heels up with. :stalker:🎬

Last edited:
New-to-me covers from #7 that I very much enjoyed:

Can You Get to That - Mavis Staples (Funkadelic) -- I figured this would be excellent, and I was right. Doesn't stray too far from the original but is plenty distinctive nonetheless.
Chiquitita - Sinead O’Connor (Abba) -- The slower, more haunting arrangement is a better match for the lyrics than the more upbeat original.
The Passenger - Siouxsie and the Banshees (Iggy Pop) -- Tromps along arrestingly.
Waste - Dave Matthews Band (Phish) -- One of the few Phish songs that's conventional enough to be covered by pretty much anyone.
Ode to a Black Man - The Dirtbombs (Phil Lynott) -- Powerful.
I Gotsta Get Paid - ZZ Top (DJ DMD) -- Grizzly, gravelly and groovin'.
California Dreaming - Lee Moses (Mamas & the Papas) -- Just as good as Womack's version, which is pretty incredible.
Dramamine - Sun Kil Moon (Modest Mouse) -- Stunning.
I Figured You Out – Elliott Smith (Mary Lou Lord) -- Also stunning.
Me and Bobby McGee - P!nk (Roger Miller) -- She's really channeling Janis here.
50 Ways to Leave Your Lover - Lyle Lovett (Paul Simon) -- It's really a perfect blend of coveree and coverer.

Also I forgot to shout out this one in the known-to-me post:

She's Not There – Santana (The Zombies). The version on the playlist is the one I know best because I taped a friend's Viva Santana compilation CD when I was in high school, so back then it was my exposure to Santana aside from their radio songs. This version is pretty slammin'.

As for this one:

Down by the River - Low & Dirty Three (Neil Young & Crazy Horse)

I'm still bored. Sorry, OH.

Given that I've already summoned Uruk-Hai in here with Billy Joel talk, mentioned my work buddy Jeff, and don't feel the need to participate in multiple conversations, I'm just gonna cross-post from the Sports Moments thread:

Kenny freaking Dennard submarining Buck Williams in the 1980 ACC Championship when Buck was about to tip in the game-winner.

Look at this crap It's at 55:33 if the video reloads. No freaking whistle. I'm over it, though.

The same day Jeff gave me the records, we were talking ACC tourney - his daughter is at NC State and Jeff himself graduated from Maryland all the way back in 1980 (sorry old-timers). He brought up the exact play Uruk-Hai linked above, and went on an FFA-worthy rant about "rat-face boy" Krzyzewski, ACC refs, and anti-UM bias. I just kept winding him up more by saying refs miss calls all the time.

Then on Tuesday morning, I saw UH's posts and knew I had to read them verbatim to Jeff at lunch. Of course, that got him all fired up again and he made me pull up the video. He's like - "See! See! You guys thought I was exaggerating like some kind of homer! That's gotta be one of the worst missed calls of all time!!!" Without missing a beat, our other friend casually chimes in, "Tough to make that call with the game on the line." I thought Jeff was gonna spontaneously combust.

Given that I've already summoned Uruk-Hai in here with Billy Joel talk, mentioned my work buddy Jeff, and don't feel the need to participate in multiple conversations, I'm just gonna cross-post from the Sports Moments thread:

Kenny freaking Dennard submarining Buck Williams in the 1980 ACC Championship when Buck was about to tip in the game-winner.

Look at this crap It's at 55:33 if the video reloads. No freaking whistle. I'm over it, though.

The same day Jeff gave me the records, we were talking ACC tourney - his daughter is at NC State and Jeff himself graduated from Maryland all the way back in 1980 (sorry old-timers). He brought up the exact play Uruk-Hai linked above, and went on an FFA-worthy rant about "rat-face boy" Krzyzewski, ACC refs, and anti-UM bias. I just kept winding him up more by saying refs miss calls all the time.

Then on Tuesday morning, I saw UH's posts and knew I had to read them verbatim to Jeff at lunch. Of course, that got him all fired up again and he made me pull up the video. He's like - "See! See! You guys thought I was exaggerating like some kind of homer! That's gotta be one of the worst missed calls of all time!!!" Without missing a beat, our other friend casually chimes in, "Tough to make that call with the game on the line." I thought Jeff was gonna spontaneously combust.
How's Jeff doing?

I am still trying to recover from posting that.

DOES NO ONE ELSE SEE WHAT HAPPENED THERE BESIDES ME & JEFF? Dennard put his bong-addled head down and cut the legs out from under Buck Williams.

I've watched the Orioles screw up 2 WS and the Ravens blow great opportunities and Maryland get jobbed in the 2001 Final Four, but THIS play is so rigged as to defy comprehension.

Pip’s Invitation:

Summer Breeze – The Isley Brothers (Seals & Crofts)

This is one of my favorite covers because it takes a pleasant song and makes it both more soulful and more upbeat, accentuating the strengths of the original and yet still improving on it significantly. The powerful guitar lines from Ernie Isley at the beginning and his searing solos at the end indicate this is not going to be a straightforward yacht rock rehash. The piano by Chris Jasper provides a totally different sonic element from the original and enables drastic changes to the melody and pacing. But, as with most Isley Brothers performances, the biggest story is the lead vocal by Ronnie Isley. He sings the chill, pastoral lyrics as if his life depended on them and turns this little ditty into a bona fide anthem.

Original: https://open.spotify.com/track/01UYpHuzHi4eB9PAbDoPY2?si=3a1c6f02a72e42f4

At #5, something I ranked #5 elsewhere.

Last edited:
#6 Oh Well (The Rockets)

I remember them because they got this video on MTV: Rollin' by the Record Machine. Check out the contemporary arcade in the beginning!

Two of the members had been in friends of the thread Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that after the Detroit Wheels broke up Johnny Badanjek (drummer)put together this band.

Oliver Humanzee:

krista4:

He's a busy guy. I was corresponding with him the other day about my fantasy baseball league that he used to be in. His Facebook page suggests nothing out of the ordinary. So I'm pretty confident that I can say he's OK.
Looking at my text chain with him, about a month ago he said:

Been having a hard time keeping up with the covers thread but when I venture in I enjoy it.

How's Jeff doing?

I am still trying to recover from posting that.

DOES NO ONE ELSE SEE WHAT HAPPENED THERE BESIDES ME & JEFF? Dennard put his bong-addled head down and cut the legs out from under Buck Williams.

I've watched the Orioles screw up 2 WS and the Ravens blow great opportunities and Maryland get jobbed in the 2001 Final Four, but THIS play is so rigged as to defy comprehension.
Jeff is 66 and cranky and really needs to retire. Alas, he just paid for his older daughter's wedding and his wife said they would pony up for his younger daughter's law school so he's probably not going anywhere. We used to always see this septuagenarian eating in the cafeteria with two guys in their 50s and joke with Jeff that it would be us one day. That's not gonna happen, but only b/c they've never reopened the caf after COVID. :crying:

Obviously, he never got over poor Buck Williams but he also never gets over any big sporting loss, and to his credit (or honestly, his detriment), he roots for like every Maryland college and pro team. Earlier this week, we got an unending diatribe about UMD blowing a 20-point lead to Iowa State in the first round of the women's BB tourney. On Thursday, it was analysis of Maryland's chances in men's lacrosse. All that just means that his heart gets broken maybe a dozen times a year.. It also makes him all too easy to mess with, which keeps our lunches endlessly entertaining.

The playlist for the #6s had some minor themes. A few songs from earlier in my list. A double shot of Shatner. Four songs where Bowie was involved in some way. Plus the Shout-out below. Plenty to spotlight, per usual. But let’s get to what I did choose.

Recognized by title alone: 22
Sounded familiar: 2
Didn’t Know: 10

Selected Favorites:
All the Young Dudes - David Bowie
Traveling Riverside Blues - Led Zeppelin
Black Magic Woman - Santana. I don’t believe I knew this was a cover.
The Man Who Sold the World - Nirvana.

Hadn’t heard before, but liked:
Dear Mr. Fantasy - Southern Culture on the Skids
Wayfaring Stranger - Simon Khorolsky & Chris Rupp
Heartbeats - Jose Gonzalez
Morning Dew - Grateful Dead
And I Love Her - Pat Metheny

Special Shout-out:
The Double Shot of Shatner aside, one of the more surprising parts was having Manfred Mann covered twice (as well as being coveree once). So Shout Out to Tom T Hall’s version of “Fox on the Run” as well as “My Little Red Book” covered by Love.

25.ee - Siouxsie and the Banshees - "The Passenger" (Iggy Pop cover)

The original:
Iggy Pop recorded "The Passenger" with David Bowin in 1977 during the time when they both lived in Berlin. Their records share a regular cast of sidemen including Rickie Gardiner and Carlos Alomar on guitars and the Sales brothers on drum and bass. "The Passenger" has a jauntier groove than most of Iggy's records with lyrics that are equal parts of alienation and wonder.

The cover: Siouxsie and the Banshees covered the song on their all-covers album Through the Looking Glass. Their version is 5 bpm faster which makes it perfect for Siouxsie to whirl around to but the most noticeable change is the addition of a three piece horn section.

Is the cover better than the original?: Iggy's version is one of the songs I regret leaving off my US 31 list. It's such a cool song with its la la la chorus. I like Siouxsie's cover but I get worn out by the horns. I'm an old brass player and I like the horns at first but they get a little silly as the song progresses.

Running scoreboard: Originals 13 - Covers 12

It is in your original post. I listened to it in your post yesterday, and it was a fun blast back to the past. It was in k4's original post, too.

I copy what is sent to me, but if it's not a Spotify link, @Hawks64 just finds the first one he can. In this case, he must have mixed up the artists. It sucks because I myself have never made a mistake. :lol: Hawks, when you have a chance, could you please fix this one?

Users who are viewing this thread