What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (1 Viewer)

Speaking of ACC games, I loved the ACC days of when Lefty Driesell was the coach of Maryland. He had a flamboyant personality, and he was a big part of some of the great ACC years in college basketball. Also, he was a coach in one the greatest college basketball games ever played, which was between Maryland and NC State in 1974. He was one of my favorites. RIP Lefty
Considering that he was 'banished' to the school farthest from Tobacco Road, aka UNC and Duke, who ruled the ACC, Lefty did an amazing job staying competitive with those two schools who had bench players that could start anywhere in the country. And this while losing Adrian Dantley to Notre Dame, Moses Malone to the NBA and J.R. Reid to UNC.

I remember that '74 N.C. State game. Too bad someone had to lose. As upset as I was that my Terps lost, I couldn't help but respect that NC State team.
In picking a song from The Impressions for this list, I almost picked their version of “Amen” instead of “We Must Be in Love” revealed the other day. I did not realize the Maryland/Lefty connection until saw your post in the RIP thread.

#23 It's My Life - No Doubt (Talk Talk)

Original: Spotify ; Youtube

What kind of weirdo puts this at #23 instead of #25, right? No, but really, it's interesting that I just missed another triple crossover. I've been battling illness the last few days, so you'll forgive me if my brain's a little scattered, but with these repeats, I'll try not to touch on too much that's been said.

Anyway, this is a song where I like both versions pretty equally, and it's difficult to pick a favorite between them. Just slightly different styles and approaches. mostly since it's such a vocals-driven song, and the distinctive voices of Mark Hollis (RIP) and Gwen Stefani go in different directions. I mostly remember Talk Talk from this and a song that matches the band's name, but I'm sure several M-AD could go much deeper. As for No Doubt, they're definitely known better. This was recorded for their first greatest hits album, in place of making a new song as Stefani was focusing on her solo debut album. Reportedly, the band wasn't sure about the idea at first, but warmed up to it. Then it hit huge, going even higher than the original.

At #22 is a song I expect to see show up a fair amount. Maybe I put it lower than a lot of people? Eh, if that's the thought, I won't fight it.

But more on that later. I have two playlists to catch up to.
The bass is the best part of both versions.

- "Somethin' Else" by Little Richard and Tanya Tucker is a good time.
- Metallica's cover of "Turn the Page" is good. I remember it getting airplay back when it came out. I can envision Bob Seger and Metallica members riding motorcycles together. I don't know how Seger is now, but back in his prime he was a great live performer. The burly man with the burly voice had so much energy.
- "Cortez the Killer" by Slint captures the atmosphere of the original with a bit more heavier sound to it.
- I'm not familiar with Opeth, but they do a good job on their AIC's cover of "Would?"
- I dig Sturgill's arrangement of "In Bloom." I love the various instruments used in the song.
- I like this cover of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" by Antony and the Johnsons. They changed the lyrics in the last verse of the song, and it fits the mood and tempo of the tune.

Lots of "known knowns" that I really like this round:

Songs That I Knew the Cover and the Original

titusbramble: Cum On Feel The Noize - Quiet Riot (Slade) - every time I hear this it's like I'm 10 years old again. Kevin Dubrow was a freaking maniac.
zamboni/Ilov80s: You Keep Me Hangin' On - Vanilla Fudge (The Supremes) - this is great but a different cover of it will always be #1 in my heart.
The Dreaded Marco: The Story of an Artist - M. Ward (Daniel Johnston)
Andy Dufresne: Running Up That Hill – Placebo (Kate Bush) - I've pumped up Placebo in a bunch of different threads here. They do a great job on this.
Val Rannous: Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers (Stevie Wonder) - I might like three RHCP songs. This is one of them.
landrys hat: In Bloom - Sturgill Simpson (Nirvana)
DrIanMalcolm: Valerie - Amy Winehouse (The Zutons)

Songs That I Only Know the Original but Really Enjoyed the Cover
simey: Speed of the Sound of Loneliness - Nanci Griffith ft. John Prine (John Prine)
Raging weasel: Would? – Opeth (Alice In Chains)

Song I Like That I Only Know the Cover but not the Original
Don Quixote: You’ve Got the Love - Florence + The Machine (Andi Staton) - had no idea this was a cover.
rockaction: (There’s Gonna Be A) Showdown – New York Dolls (Archie Bell and the Drells) - this either.

Songs I Like That I Didn't Know Either Version
JMLs secret identity: Ring Ring - Sator (Abba) - this one stopped me in my tracks while walking the dog to google what it was.

Already “Covered” in an Earlier Post
Pip’s Invitation: You're No Good - Linda Ronstadt (Dee Dee Warwick)
Charlie Steiner: Always Something There to Remind Me - Naked Eyes (Lou Johnson)
Mt. Man: It's My Life - No Doubt (Talk Talk)

A few notes on my last three picks:

Box Elder - Holly Golightly (Pavement)

I've amassed a bunch of Pavement covers and most are pretty good. Was a really tough choice among three in-particular, but went with Holly Golightly b/c (a) I'm a big fan of hers, especially the late 90s-early aughts garage rock records and (2) I was unexpectedly introduced to her a few years back in Athens, GA and she couldn't have been any nicer or down-to-earth.

Epic - Shovels & Rope (Faith No More)

Shovels & Rope have done three albums worth of covers and there's barely a bad take in the bunch. Once Epic went off the board in the prior round, it left me wishing I had picked a different one.

Goodbye to Romance - Lisa Loeb w/ Dweezil Zappa (Ozzy Osbourne)

Seemed like my friends and I sat around and played Spades or Hearts almost every single night my first 2 years in the dorms. Controlling what went in the CD player was a huge point of contention, but there were always a few albums that satisfied even the most persnickety among us. Ozzy's Randy Rhoads tribute album was one of them ("This is a number called Flying High Again, so keep on smoking them joints." )

Of course, us being geeks, most of us fell for Lisa Loeb a few years later too (the look if not the music). Upon learning of this cover's existence, it became one of the few songs I ever illegally downloaded. Was really stoked to find it on Spotify.

Trying to catch up on some playlists this weekend:

7's

Familiar favorites

Strawberry Letter 23
It's My Life x 2
Mrs. Robinson
Turn Turn Turn
I've Done Everything For You

Un/less familiar favorites

The Man In Me
I'll Take Care of You
She Comes In Colors--I love Love. Nice take. Pretty sure I owned this cassette in 1985 but don't remember this song.
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want--huge Smiths fan but I've never heard this cover
Omaha
Epic--I've heard the original many times. I enjoyed this version a lot more.

I’m behind a bit, but fortunately Sunday’s a good chance to catch up, starting with the #24s. This definitely was the highest number of songs I knew at least one version of so far. Though that still left plenty of room for surprises. Really, I enjoyed a lot of this playlist, to the point where I almost went 5 for each section again. But not quite, as much as I had to make some tough cuts near the end.

Recognized by title alone: 24
Sounded familiar: 3
Knew from this countdown: 1
Didn’t Know: 6

Selected Favorites:
Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia) - Us3
Get it On (Bang a Gong) - The Power Station
New York Groove - Ace Frehley
Blue Monday - Orgy.

Hadn’t heard before, but liked
We Must Be In Love - The Impressions
Style - Ryan Adams
Personal Jesus - Def Leppard
I’ve Got You Under My Skin - Jawbox

This is what I'm here for:
The Dreaded Marco: The Story of an Artist - M. Ward (Daniel Johnston)
landrys hat: In Bloom - Sturgill Simpson (Nirvana)
higgins: Knives Out - Brad Mehldau (Radiohead)

Obvious favorites (these appeared in my top 100 in shukethread™)
Galileo: Blinded By the Light - Manfred Mann’s Earth Band (Bruce Springsteen)
zamboni/Ilov80s: You Keep Me Hangin' On - Vanilla Fudge (The Supremes)

Other favorites:
Just Win Baby: Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out - Eric Clapton (Bessie Smith). Not a big Clapton fan but really do like that unplugged album.
Don Quixote: You’ve Got the Love - Florence + The Machine (Andi Staton)
rockaction: (There’s Gonna Be A) Showdown – New York Dolls (Archie Bell and the Drells)
scorchy: Goodbye to Romance - Lisa Loeb (Ozzy Osbourne)
Chaos34: Satisfaction - Devo (The Rolling Stones)
Oliver Humanzee: Cortez the Killer - Slint (Neil Young)
krista4: Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door – Antony and the Johnsons

Known favorites that I didn't know were a cover:
Mister CIA: Give Back The Key To My Heart - Uncle Tupelo (Doug Sahm)

And we head straight onto the #23s today! This one was similar to the previous playlist as far as the general ratio of known to new. That said, it definitely had its own flavor to it. A few that made my list, a few more that were in heavy consideration. And, of course, a few that might have challenged for a spot if I’d known about them.

Recognized by title alone: 22
Sounded familiar: 2
Knew from a previous M-AD countdown: 2
Didn’t Know: 7

Selected Favorites:
Cum On Feel the Noize - Quiet Riot
Would? - Opeth. Even the M-AD who covered AiC linked this version when talking about the song.
Wrap it Up - Fabulous Thunderbirds. I didn’t think of this at all, but I wish I had!
(I Can’t Get No)Satisfaction - DEVO. This is, probably not surprisingly, the song I mentioned at #31 that was almost my DEVO cover selection.

Hadn’t heard before, but liked
Speed of the Sound of Loneliness - Nanci Griffith
Ramble On - Train
Goodbye to Romance - Lisa Loeb
Sweet Sunglasses - Umphrey’s McGee. Hit me harder than the other mix did. I might be checking out another few mixes as I type this >.>

Special Mention:
You Keep Me Hanging On - Vanilla Fudge. Almost made the favorites list above. But then, who to credit? Plus I should try to bring this category back when I can.

The Midnight Special episode I'm watching tonight was taped in London. :eek: Hosted by Peter Noone and featuring an entire lineup that I've heard of: The Bee Gees, ELO, David Essex, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Gilbert O'Sullivan and Robin Trower.

Unlike the regular shows, where the performances were entirely live, here the vocals were live but the instruments were pre-recorded.

Last edited:
9's

Known favorites

Cum On Feel The Noize--this was the first concert I drove myself to. Quiet Riot opening for Loverboy. Seattle. July, 1983.
Blinded By The Light--I do like this version better.....
Knockin' On Heaven's Door-- :heart:
Would?--this is very similar to AIC and that is good.
In Bloom--wish the Estonian guitar player was still in the band...but this is an excellent cover.

Un/less familiar favorites

Ring Them Bells--my favorite unknown cover so far.
Speed of the Sound of Loneliness--big JPrine fan and this is great.
Cortez the Killer--huge Slint fan. I've never heard their version of CTK until now...very good but about 12 minutes too short.

WIW, today I learned that Discogs.com actually catalogs Unofficial Releases alongside a band's commercial releases. Going down the rabbit hole a bit, I've learned that the song I want to take was part of an album that was announced as an upcoming commercial release -- but months after the announcement, one of the band members passed away. The release was then apparently shelved (temporarily?), but some individual tracks have since seen the light of day.
This post from mid-January was about Van Halen. In late 2020 or early 2021, they were set to release (in North America) an official album of mid-1970s club-date recordings. Bootlegs had been going around for decades, and there were some official overseas releases from these shows (sometimes available as imports, one presumes). I cannot find the article I read about this ... should have saved the link somewhere.

Anyway, Eddie passed in October 2020, and the North American live album release hasn't happened yet. Still, some of the soundboard recordings that were supposed to be on the live album have been leaking since around 2010 or so. See below.

Pip's Invitaion:
Man on the Silver Mountain - Van Halen (Rainbow) -- I wish the sound quality were better but we have what we have. DLR is a surprisingly good fit for Dio's vocal.

@Pip's Invitation ... ouch! Thanks for giving the cover a shot. My apologies -- I flubbed the link. Right song, right band, wrong recording. What you heard was a very low quality bootleg almost certainly recorded from the crowd. What I'm posting here is from another live show, but recorded from the soundboard. It's not super-clean, but miles better than the link I sent to krista.

"Man on the Silver Mountain", Van Halen

It took me a minute to warm to the cover of "Farewell Transmission," the original of which is one of my all-time favorites, but when it hooked me, it hooked me big time. The feel of the cover is less sparse and dreary than the original without going too far in the other direction. I'm going to need to listen to this many more times.
I had the same feelings. And I did listen to this one many times. No one can top Jason Molina's original....

Playing this for OH right now. Will report back. :)

It took me a minute to warm to the cover of "Farewell Transmission," the original of which is one of my all-time favorites, but when it hooked me, it hooked me big time. The feel of the cover is less sparse and dreary than the original without going too far in the other direction. I'm going to need to listen to this many more times.
I had the same feelings. And I did listen to this one many times. No one can top Jason Molina's original....

Playing this for OH right now. Will report back. :)

:shock: He thinks it was great, though his praise went mostly to the song itself (also a favorite of his): "Those are just un-****-with-able lyrics. He was just channeling Bob Dylan in a way of saying so much without having a literal truth. It's fantastic."

By popular demand(?), I'm doing a listening party for OH with his commentary. As you all know, his comments often violate the 🐰 rule. Sorry in advance.

"Somethin' Else" - I don't feel like anything regarding Little Richard should reinforce gender roles. That seems to be the opposite of Little Richard. Give me "Long Tall Sally."

"Cum on Feel the Noize" by Quiet Riot - [singing along, screaming along] Obviously compared to the Slade version, this song is real stiff, but still an awesome "**** you, mom. Stay out of my room. [fist in the air]" song. Great song for the little dudes. And at 13 years old, you know what "feel the noise" is. It might be a little metalhead's first experience of a poetic rather than literal truth. I remember this video was ludicrous, but there were a lot of little dudes yelling at their parents in videos. It was great. You know the hair metal band you never hear about anymore? White Snake. They were so boring. It's like it you took motorcycles and ****ing and made them boring. 'How about I have listless dispirited sex with a supermodel. Wouldn't that be a drag?' Anyway, Quiet Riot were alright. Girls really should rock their boys. For many reasons, and not just because 'boys' rhymes with "noise'."

Last edited:
For those that don't get it, there's an old expression that goes "That won't play in Peoria," which is what sneering coasters think about audience reception to challenging art when challenging art is brought to the main streets of the Midwest.

I think, anyway. That's the old saw, right?

More from OH:

“You’re No Good” – I like the organ a lot. Linda Ronstadt’s obviously one of the best singers ever. I like the drums; I bet that’s Steve Gadd playing drums. [Big oof and shaking his head no on the guitar solo.] That guitar solo didn’t seem like part of the song, like whoever produced it decided they needed a guitar solo and they straight inserted it in there. [Makes me stop “Ring Them Bells”.] Wait, I just looked up the personnel on that record. [reads me the names] It’s basically Linda Ronstadt with the ****ing Eagles. No wonder I didn’t like it that much; I’m just ashamed I thought it was pretty good drumming for a minute.

“Ring Them Bells” – Seems like a really faithful rendition, but he really owned it. That Daniel Lanois era isn’t my favorite Dylan, but I like that song.

“Speed of the Sound of Loneliness” – Oh, that’s lovely. Who was singing? [tells him Nanci Griffith] Oh yeah, two of the best right there. Was that simey who chose it? [me: :shock: ]

“Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and Out” – [me, ducking] Did you ever think you might just be an *******? You’re broke and self-pitying, maybe somebody would buy you a drink if you weren’t a ****. [after a while] Is this Randy Newman? [me telling him it's much, much worse] Oh god it’s Eric Clapton. I hate him so much. “or Black” - that’s what Eric Clapton is thinking, Nobody loves you when you’re down or out or Black. Racist *******. When you’re down or out or…Indian. Let's just move on; it’s best for everybody.

“Blinded by the Light” – [discussion of who had the original and who was the cover artist] I like how they both wrapped it up like a douche.

“Speed of the Sound of Loneliness”

By the way, I made a very last-minute switch-out of another song from this album, because I'd chosen it in many drafts before. But just so everyone can enjoy it again: Are You Tired of Me Darling? (Content warning for @Pip's Invitation ; Iris DeMent)

“Blinded by the Light”

I don't think I'd listened to this in its entirety since I was a kid, and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was!

More on the Quiet Riot song, before we got to the guitar solo, looking befuddled: "Was there a lame guitar solo in here at all?" Guitar solo starts: "Oh there it is. Thank god."
The best thing about Quiet Riot is that is where Rhoads got his start. This old metal head still listens to Quiet Riot and those tunes were the start of that scene for many.

Pause for our reaction to "(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me." As a child of the 70s/80s, I'd always loved this song but never listened to the original. I have to say that, listening to the original now, I think it's much superior. But it's cool that Lou Johnson got some more $$$ (or I hope so) from the Naked Eyes version. I was just reading his Wiki, and he was a hit-maker for other people but I'd never heard of him. Funny enough, his version of this song had backing vocals by, among others, friend of the thread Dee Dee Warwick of "You're No Good" fame.

For those that don't get it, there's an old expression that goes "That won't play in Peoria," which is what sneering coasters think about audience reception to challenging art when challenging art is brought to the main streets of the Midwest.

I think, anyway. That's the old saw, right?
I think it's actually associated with entertainment industry execs who nix or demand changes to a movie/TV show/play/album because "it won't play in Peoria."

More on the Quiet Riot song, before we got to the guitar solo, looking befuddled: "Was there a lame guitar solo in here at all?" Guitar solo starts: "Oh there it is. Thank god."
The best thing about Quiet Riot is that is where Rhoads got his start. This old metal head still listens to Quiet Riot and those tunes were the start of that scene for many.

Oh, in case I wasn't clear, he loved the Quiet Riot song and was headbanging through most of it.

More from OH:

“You’re No Good” – I like the organ a lot. Linda Ronstadt’s obviously one of the best singers ever. I like the drums; I bet that’s Steve Gadd playing drums. [Big oof and shaking his head no on the guitar solo.] That guitar solo didn’t seem like part of the song, like whoever produced it decided they needed a guitar solo and they straight inserted it in there. [Makes me stop “Ring Them Bells”.] Wait, I just looked up the personnel on that record. [reads me the names] It’s basically Linda Ronstadt with the ****ing Eagles. No wonder I didn’t like it that much; I’m just ashamed I thought it was pretty good drumming for a minute.
He's not quite correct. The Eagles do play on one track of the Heart Like a Wheel album, but it's not You're No Good.

The personnel on that track:

Linda Ronstadt: lead vocals
Andrew Gold: drums, electric piano, percussion, electric guitar solo
Eddie Black: electric guitar
Kenny Edwards: bass
Clydie King: backing vocals
Sherlie Matthews: backing vocals
Gregory Rose: string arrangement and conductor

Scoresman:

Turn the Page - Metallica (Bob Seger)
Song: first vote
I am waaaaay behind on listening to the playlists. So much good stuff here. This Metallica version is fire, and it slipped past my RADAR when putting my list together. It should have been on my list too.
I would have included a few tracks from the Garage Days album on my list. One of the tracks is by a band that was Metallica before Metallica.

He's not quite correct. The Eagles do play on one track of the Heart Like a Wheel album, but it's not You're No Good.

I just told him this. Response: "Thank ****ing Christ"
Her self-titled album from early 1972 (recorded 1971) is responsible for the formation of the Eagles, as all four original members played on it and decided to form a band of their own. So he can blame her for that.

Looking at the credits of her pop albums from the '70s and early '80s, Steve Gadd didn't play on any of them, though they are certainly the kind of records he did play on back then. Some of the other big names in '70s session drumming (Russ Kunkel, Rick Marotta, Mike Botts) do play on them, though.

"You’ve Got the Love" – She can really sing. Very grand-sounding. Right now I like Florence + the Machine better than Manfred Mann because that song had like two parts, as opposed to the 32 parts from Manfred Mann. Although she didn’t say douche, so…it’s close.

"Honky Tonk Women" – I really like the Stones version, too, but that was all great. Fan. I am now and will remain a fan.

"Ring ring" – [tell him it’s an ABBA cover] Sounds right. There’s a long tradition in pop-punk to give joyless covers of unexpected songs. But the pop is right there in front of punk, and ABBA’s about as pop as you can get.

"You Keep Me Hangin’ On" – I like it a lot. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a bad Vanilla Fudge song, so it makes me wonder why I don’t listen to more Vanilla Fudge. It’s super heavy. [Tells a story about how John Bonham thought he was ripping off a riff from Vanilla Fudge but the Vanilla Fudge drummer said no – sorry I didn’t catch all this]

"Neon Lights" – [sings, pew-pew-pew-pew!] I like how even in a song I don’t like, they [narr: Kraftwerk] can suck the humanity out of it, which is kind of the point of them. It's like, what if the Beach Boys were made of hyper-minimalist robots? They took all these love songs and pop songs and made something that had nothing to do with love.

Oh, in case I wasn't clear, he loved the Quiet Riot song and was headbanging through most of it.
Interesting. I thought he had better taste.

"Private Life" – [one minute in] This is ****ing awesome. [me: do you know the cover artist or the original artist] Nope.

"The Story of an Artist" – Great. Dude clearly loved the song and clearly got it. No notes.

"Feeling Good" – I hate this teenage drama club ******** – “Daaaaad, look at me, I wear scarves, and eyelinerrrrrr.” Just try out for a musical, man.

"Running Up That Hill" – I like the Kate Bush song a lot but don’t see the point of this.

"Ramble On" – He’s just doing a Robert Plant impression. Oooooooh noooooo. Let’s just play the Led Zeppelin song but worse. We’re going to do what they did but not as good. Oooooh, gauche but so facile. Was that the Black Crowes or something? It’s probably worse, worse than that. [told him who it was] Ohhh, that stunk. I think I’ve heard three Train songs now, and boy, they deliver. Deliver garbage. I know three Train songs now - there's that Drops of Jupiter, and that other song they do, and this - and they all make me laugh. They make me laugh more than Weird Al does, and he's trying to.

"(There’s Gonna Be A) Showdown" – Oh yeah, it’s NY Dolls. I don’t remember who did the original. The answer is yes, I really like it. I recognize Buster Poindexter forever. One thing you can like about the NY Dolls, every song sounds like it could be a show-closer. Can’t you just see a bunch of drunks singing this together, putting lipstick on each other, all sloppy?

"Turn the Page" – It’s the Metallica version that awful Bob Seger song. Is there any genre more despicable than songs about how tough it is to be a rock star? Oh, this is the thing, you rode in a bus for eight hours, then you got to play all the songs you wrote, for money? This is worse than the original because I never expected anything out of Bob Seger. But I loved Metallica. That song is bad, the cover is worse.

"Would?" –It’s another cover that’s like, this is the same but not as good. They don’t have Layne Staley. The angriest I’ve ever seen our friend Brent is when he played Opeth for a bunch of us because he loves them, and when he played it I said, “Opeth Thucks.”

In the small subset of Midnight Special episodes I have watched recently, this is the third one with Bee Gees and the second one they hosted. All aired in 1973. No wonder America was primed to make them superstars starting in 1975-ish*. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lf8SILaKwM

This is a "British Invasion Reunion"-themed episode, with The Hollies, The Searchers, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Peter Noone and Herman's Hermits**, Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas and Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders.

* - in both their hosting gigs, they have displayed oodles of charm and good comic timing

** - their first song is one of my least favorite tunes of all time

In the small subset of Midnight Special episodes I have watched recently, this is the third one with Bee Gees and the second one they hosted. All aired in 1973. No wonder America was primed to make them superstars starting in 1975-ish*. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lf8SILaKwM

This is a "British Invasion Reunion"-themed episode, with The Hollies, The Searchers, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Peter Noone and Herman's Hermits**, Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas and Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders.

* - in both their hosting gigs, they have displayed oodles of charm and good comic timing

I'm really looking forward to watching these when I get some time. I remember loving this show even though I was young and stupid. Now I'm just stupid.

I'm really looking forward to watching these when I get some time. I remember loving this show even though I was young and stupid. Now I'm just stupid.
What do acts that were big in 1965 look like in 1973? Shaggy hair and sideburns. Lots of it. Lots of bell bottoms also.

Users who are viewing this thread