What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (2 Viewers)

Substitute Van Morrison for Roger Waters for me, and I have very similar views about his music versus him as a person.
I agree 100% regarding Roger Waters. I'm a fan of Pink Floyd's music, but very much dislike Waters the person.

My teeth are clean and shiny after the dental visit :brush:, but I have to go back tomorrow morning and get a tooth rebonded. Back in the early 80s, the tooth beside my right front big tooth got chipped when I got hit in the mouth by a softball during a high school PE class. I got it bonded, and it's been on there all these years, but Sunday I bit into a yogurt covered pretzel (which wasn't hard) and the bond broke off. It was already in a weak state prior to it breaking off according to the hygienist looking back in the notes of the last visit. I hope the dentist doesn't screw up the bond. He is charging me $260 to do it. Highway robbery!
Good luck with it, simey. Yeah, I often wonder whether we get robbed by our dentists, as there is no way to know if they're doing so. The alternative is to risk pain if certain things aren't taken care of. After seeing that Laurence Olivier/Dustin Hoffman scene in Marathon Man again recently, I'm not taking any chances.

After seeing that Laurence Olivier/Dustin Hoffman scene in Marathon Man again recently, I'm not taking any chances.
Omg, that's the only scene I remember from that movie. My dentist temporarily gave me bell's palsy once when he shot me in the wrong vein/nerve
when numbing my mouth. I drooled, and couldn't blink or move one side of my face for hours. I would have changed dentist if it weren't for the excellent hygienist. Anyway, I'm nervous for him to fix it, but surely he can at least do that without screwing up. Right? :oldunsure:

After seeing that Laurence Olivier/Dustin Hoffman scene in Marathon Man again recently, I'm not taking any chances.
Omg, that's the only scene I remember from that movie. My dentist temporarily gave me bell's palsy once when he shot me in the wrong vein/nerve
when numbing my mouth. I drooled, and couldn't blink or move one side of my face for hours. I would have changed dentist if it weren't for the excellent hygienist. Anyway, I'm nervous for him to fix it, but surely he can at least do that without screwing up. Right? :oldunsure:
Seems like a pretty basic procedure, especially nowadays - I wouldn't be too concerned.

Seems like a pretty basic procedure, especially nowadays - I wouldn't be too concerned.
I hope it goes smoothly. You'd think just numbing someone would be a simple task. I'll be calm as long as I don't see the dental assistant looking at me like this :eek:, which was her face when I had tears running down my eyeball, because I couldn't blink.

I hope it goes smoothly. You'd think just numbing someone would be a simple task. I'll be calm as long as I don't see the dental assistant looking at me like this :eek:, which was her face when I had tears running down my eyeball, because I couldn't blink.
I seem to have a resistance to dental numbing. Usually takes 2-3 shots and 20+ minutes to get me numb

I seem to have a resistance to dental numbing. Usually takes 2-3 shots and 20+ minutes to get me numb
A song RW never sings

It's a scary feeling when they say can you feel this, and you can still feel. It seems like numbing wouldn't be necessary for bonding, but bonding is a filling without a cavity being there, so I don't know. I'd like some gas just to relax me from being nervous about his skills.

Finally, once again, Mad Men has associated itself with another song in the countdown, will it be the last?
Not sure <--don't click if you haven't watched Mad Men yet, but still plan to.
I had the commercial version of the song on a single when it came out, but played it ad nauseum and it just doesn't hit the way it used to.

Also, FWIW, there was a version of Always Something There to Remind Me in Mad Men as well, but I didn't like it more than the Naked Eyes version. That show had such an amazing soundtrack, and the best part is that it didn't rely on all the same songs from that era that have been used to death in other shows and movies.

10 Points - The Name of the Game - Nina Persson and Pernilla Andersson (Abba)
Original

One of Abbas most critically acclaimed songs. Billboard called "The Name of the Game" one of ABBA's "most stately, dramatic works to date." Cash Box said that "layers of acoustic guitars play a classic chord progression in the irresistable chorus." Record World said that "the emotion expressed is again secondary to the compelling nature of the music, as usual simple but dramatic." In 2017, Billboardranked the song number six on their list of the 15 greatest ABBA songs, and in 2021, Rolling Stoneranked the song number three on their list of the 25 greatest ABBA songs?
The phenomenal bass line was “inspired” by Stevie Wonders I Wish.
It went #1 in the UK for 4 weeks and even reached #12 in the US. Its top spot of #6 in Australia is a rare flop for them there lol

Cover

Im not the biggest fan of this song, but i could listen to the opening riff all day. I really, really wanted to use the Fugees take on it on their “Rumble in the Jungle”track, but alas thats just sampling the best part and building an original song around it. So we are stuck with this bland anodyne take. Lead singer of the Cardigans, Nina Perrson and a Swedish reality singing comp judge in Permilla Andersson get together and dont really do anything interesting at all.

Next up - the covers start getting much better with one of Abbas most well known songs getting the treatment. I was spoiled for choice here.

A song RW never sings
Was expecting Pink Floyd

10 Points - Lies - Muse (Chvrches)
Original

Chvrches are one of my top 3 bands of the last decade. Their sound is right out of the 80s and Lauren Mayberry has a fantastic voice for this type of music. Now while this one sort of would be in the 15-20 ranking of their material, thats a good thing.

Cover

I love the manic energy of Muse. Some of their original material is just breathtaking. This, a cover, is a rare foray into different material. But they make it their own, and while it doesnt touch the original, its still quite brilliant. We’ve already seen Muse covers here with Feeling Good. They also do an interesting cover of Creep which was a consideration of mine for a list off entirely Creep covers

Next Up - The next one is quite tangental and is one of my 3 favourite songs of all time. The original, not the cover. But the cover is still damn good.

John Maddens Lunchbox:

22 - Lies - Muse (Chvrches) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0WL9PyRwtj4&pp=ygUJbGllcyBtdXNl

Song: first vote
Cover artist: first vote
Original artist: first vote
Pretty sure Feeling Good by Muse has been used
The songs are all there, but the formatting is garbage, and the data on number of appearances will have no relation to what the picks are, so just ignore it.

DOES NO ONE READ HER POSTS???????????

New-to-me covers from #22 that I liked very much:

Jokerman -- Built to Spill (Bob Dylan) -- Hard-hitting music and enunciation.
Hallelujah -- Pentatonix (Leonard Cohen) -- Pretty much impossible for anyone with a modicum of talent to screw this one up.
Yeh Yeh -- Diana Krall and Georgie Fame (Georgie Fame) -- Lots of fun.
California Dreamin' -- Bobby Womack (The Mamas and the Papas) -- There's another cover of this from the R&B world that I hope shows up, but this was excellent also.
Melissa -- Dave Matthews Band (The Allman Brothers Band) -- Faithful but compelling.
Needles and Pins -- Ramones (Jackie DeShannon) -- I think the Searchers and Petty versions are the best, but the Ramones do a nice job with something that's not overtly in their wheelhouse (though they have always incorporated '60s pop in their sound).
Dream On -- Ronnie James Dio and Yngwie Malmsteen (Aerosmith) -- From coveree on #23 to coverer on #22, Dio shows why he was a force.
There Is a Light That Never Goes Out -- Dum Dum Girls (The Smiths) -- Reminds me a bit of My Bloody Valentine. Shoegaze Smiths? (Insert "went to college" joke here.)
Dust My Broom -- Elmore James (Robert Johnson) -- I have heard Johnson's version and quite a few by various white blues/rock dudes, but not this one, which had great grit and momentum.
No Diggity -- T-Bird and The Breaks (Blackstreet) -- Seems like this is another song in the "impossible to screw up" category.
Crazy -- Shawn Colvin (Gnarls Barkley) -- And so is this one.
Street Fighting Man -- Archers of Loaf (The Rolling Stones) -- Some of the best qualities of the '60s and the '90s are here.

:thumbup: this selection @rockaction , but original is by Jackie DeShannon.

I will admit that my searches began and ended with Google. I would type in the name of the song, the cover band, and then type "original" into the search field. I would generally use the result from the search unless the answer was muddied. This one wasn't. If it was Jackie DeShannon, then thanks for your doggedness in finding that out.

Actually, a basic search should have revealed the original to me, and I'm not sure why it went haywire. Thanks again.

It really doesn't matter to me, but it probably will be nice for people who want to listen to both. :)

22. Ramones - Needles and Pins (Jackie DeShannon)

A weepy one from the guys from Queens. What were the Ramones in 1978 if not lovers of bubble gum and unrequited and once-consummated love songs? The weird sappiness that had taken over beating up brats, one that had begun to infect their music since their third album Rocket To Russia came along in 1977, continued throughout their career and remained unapologetically part of their repertoire.

Road To Ruin, their fourth album, was a bit more of a heavy affair than Russia, but it was tempered with "Needles and Pins," a song penned in the sixties by Sonny Bono and Jack Nitzsche (Sonny Bono?!) and performed orginally by Jackie DeShannon (not the Searchers). True to the original, the Ramones give star-crossed love a chance here and come out the better for it, Joey hitting expressive notes in his vocals while the band stays on point. One wonders if this isn't what attracted Phil Spector to the band, an attraction that would culminate in his production of the ultimately flawed End Of The Century a few years later.

22. Ramones - Needles and Pins (Jackie DeShannon)

A weepy one from the guys from Queens. What were the Ramones in 1978 if not lovers of bubble gum and unrequited and once-consummated love songs? The weird sappiness that had taken over beating up brats, one that had begun to infect their music since their third album Rocket To Russia came along in 1977, continued throughout their career and remained unapologetically part of their repertoire.

Road To Ruin, their fourth album, was a bit more of a heavy affair than Russia, but it was tempered with "Needles and Pins," a song penned in the sixties by Sonny Bono and Jack Nitzsche (Sonny Bono?!) and performed orginally by Jackie DeShannon (not the Searchers). True to the original, the Ramones give star-crossed love a chance here and come out the better for it, Joey hitting expressive notes in his vocals while the band stays on point. One wonders if this isn't what attracted Phil Spector to the band, an attraction that would culminate in his production of the ultimately flawed End Of The Century a few years later.
On the “British Invasion Reunion” edition of the Midnight Special I posted about last night, the Searchers performed Needles and Pins.

Sonny Bono wrote a lot of stuff, he was more than just Cher’s foil before going into politics.

I hope he wasn't reported by the person that he initially had the negative interaction with. That person was hanging around in here a couple days in a row. If that person did report him again and is reading this...Very Uncool!

He fought with the same person under his alias in another thread about what happened. It was obvious it was Dr. O., and I'm not sure if he got a longer punishment under his real account. I warned him, but he was pretty dead set on confronting his accuser. The mods zapped that conversation, and I was sure he was in for it when I saw that. I hope he's fine and back soon. Godspeed if you're reading this, Dr. O.

- The "Come Talk To Me" cover by Bon Iver is good. The vocals and music have an airy and spiritual vibe to them.
- I love Gnarls Barkley's original of "Crazy," and Shawn Colvin slows it down a lot with her cover, and it is still a good sounding song.
- I forget about the homegrown band Archers of Loaf. It's good to hear them back together and rockin' with a cover of "Street Fighting Man."
- Easy Star has rastafied Radiohead's "Airbag." I smell ganja in the air. Is KP is close by?
- I 👂 Gregg Allman on some of this live "Melissa" cover by Dave Matthews Band. The music sounds pretty. knowing many, loving none...bearing sorrow, having fun
- Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon.
The cover by Urge Overkill and original by Neil are both good. Neil wrote some good songs.
- This fuzzed out version of "There Is A Light that Never Goes Out" by the Dum Dum Girls is really good.
- Bobby Womack's cover of "California Dreamin'" is awesome.
- "The Name of the Game" by those two girls is OK. It did make me want to hear ABBA's original, which I hadn't heard in a long time, and it was 👍
- Johnny Cash was quite frail when he recorded "Hurt." His body was breaking down on him and you can hear it in his voice, and it makes his cover even more intense.

"Smiling Faces Sometimes" by The Undisputed Truth is groovy. Can you dig it, can you dig it?
I don't know what Françoise Hardy is singing about in her cover of "Le Temps de l'Amour," but I like the sound.
I like the "Make You Feel My Love" cover by Adele a lot better than Bob Dylan's original.
U2's live take on "All Along the Watchtower" is a good! They put their own spin on it and it works for me.
Built To Spill's cover of "Jokerman" is another good cover of a Bob Dylan original.
Tedeschi Trucks Band has so much talent in their large band. They do a great job on their live cover of "Keep on Growing."

T Bird, The Breaks cover of "No Diggity" is funky, and I like it better than the original.
The "Needles and Pins" cover by The Ramones is good, and it has an early 60s flair to it.
Chicago and The Spencer Davis Group both have similar vibes in their versions of "I'm A Man," but for me Chicago's musicianship is stronger and they really let loose.
I like what Bartees Strange did with the chorus on "Lemonworld."
The Clash cover of "I Fought the Law" is fun.
The Damned's version of "Alone Again Or" is really good. Love's version is softer sounding, and The Damned's has a bit more energy. Tie.
I like Dio's cover of "Dream On." He does some fancy stuff on the guitar. I've always felt like it's the one Aerosmith song where Steven Tyler's voice sounds different on the verses compared to the chorus.
Everything Linda Ronstadt sings is good, and "Carmelita" is no different.
"Hallelujah" has lots of voices in it that blend well together.
Diane Krall and Georgie Fame sound like they are having a good time on "Yeh Yeh." I like that organ solo.
Elmore James is sweeping away the blues with his cover of "Dust My Broom."
I remember Club Nouvea's cover of "Lean On Me" from the 80s. Is this song considered pre-hip hop?
I think I like the Muse live cover of "Lies" better than the original.

Will we get a cover version that I knew prior to learning about it on this board from OH?

HIs next pick has already made someone else's list and was likely one you already knew. Scanning his list, I see one other cover that's already been selected, so you'll have that one, too (and probably knew it anyway). In shocking news, his #2 and #4 cover versions are very well known.

I hope he wasn't reported by the person that he initially had the negative interaction with. That person was hanging around in here a couple days in a row. If that person did report him again and is reading this...Very Uncool!

He fought with the same person under his alias in another thread about what happened. It was obvious it was Dr. O., and I'm not sure if he got a longer punishment under his real account. I warned him, but he was pretty dead set on confronting his accuser. The mods zapped that conversation, and I was sure he was in for it when I saw that. I hope he's fine and back soon. Godspeed if you're reading this, Dr. O.

I hope he'll be back soon. I'm thinking about sending him a FB message to check in on it all. We certainly don't want to lose him for good.

I forgot about that Urge Overkill cover from Pulp Fiction. Definitely would have included it in my list.

This was one of my last cuts. I shouldn't admit this, but knowing it would be on other people's lists made me think I could include something else instead since it was on the edge of the 31 for me anyway. Really love it, though.

I let several go for that very reason ...good choice

ANNOUNCE:

I'm currently cleaning up and updating the post with the 10-pointers. I'm saving them five entries at a time, so if you come across that post and see anything janky, you don't need to let me know. It will be fixed along the way. I'm not doing this for you fools, but because it will make it easier for me to prepare the next post for Thursday.

New-to-me covers from #22 that I liked very much:

Jokerman -- Built to Spill (Bob Dylan) -- Hard-hitting music and enunciation.
Hallelujah -- Pentatonix (Leonard Cohen) -- Pretty much impossible for anyone with a modicum of talent to screw this one up.
Yeh Yeh -- Diana Krall and Georgie Fame (Georgie Fame) -- Lots of fun.
California Dreamin' -- Bobby Womack (The Mamas and the Papas) -- There's another cover of this from the R&B world that I hope shows up, but this was excellent also.
Melissa -- Dave Matthews Band (The Allman Brothers Band) -- Faithful but compelling.
Needles and Pins -- Ramones (Jackie DeShannon) -- I think the Searchers and Petty versions are the best, but the Ramones do a nice job with something that's not overtly in their wheelhouse (though they have always incorporated '60s pop in their sound).
Dream On -- Ronnie James Dio and Yngwie Malmsteen (Aerosmith) -- From coveree on #23 to coverer on #22, Dio shows why he was a force.
There Is a Light That Never Goes Out -- Dum Dum Girls (The Smiths) -- Reminds me a bit of My Bloody Valentine. Shoegaze Smiths? (Insert "went to college" joke here.)
Dust My Broom -- Elmore James (Robert Johnson) -- I have heard Johnson's version and quite a few by various white blues/rock dudes, but not this one, which had great grit and momentum.
No Diggity -- T-Bird and The Breaks (Blackstreet) -- Seems like this is another song in the "impossible to screw up" category.
Crazy -- Shawn Colvin (Gnarls Barkley) -- And so is this one.
Street Fighting Man -- Archers of Loaf (The Rolling Stones) -- Some of the best qualities of the '60s and the '90s are here.
I forgot to mention Keep on Growing -- Tedeschi Trucks Band (Derek and the Dominoes). I know it works with female vocals because I've heard Sheryl Crow's very good version, but this version took it to a whole nother level. Derek Trucks' guitar playing on the second half is otherworldly.

Tonight's episode of the Midnight Special that I am watching has wide variance in terms of who went on to become a big deal and who didn't.

Billy Preston (host) -- legend
Bo Diddley -- legend
Steely Dan -- legends (even if some people on this board hate them)
Buddy Miles -- maybe not quite legend but was a pretty big deal in the early '70s; these days seems to be more remembered for his role in Jimi Hendrix' Band of Gypsys
Maureen McGovern -- had a #1 hit the year this was taped that has mostly been forgotten, and I've never heard of anything else she did
Ned Doheny -- who?*
Gladstone -- what?

* -- his song is actually pretty good, but his voice is not.

Also Tommy Smothers showed up (comedy legend).

Steely Dan has female backup singers, which was rare for them at this time. The camera spent a long time on them because most of the dudes in the early '70s edition of the band were, let's face it, pretty ugly.

@krista4 Beatles alert -- Billy Preston and Buddy Miles perform My Sweet Lord together.

Users who are viewing this thread