What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (1 Viewer)

zamboni:

You Keep Me Hangin' On - Vanilla Fudge (The Supremes)
Song: first and second votes today
Cover artist: two votes – You Keep Me Hangin’ On (2)
Original artist: three votes – You Keep Me Hangin’ On (2); Walk on By (1)

Ilov80s:

Can't help but think of Mad Men when I hear this song.

Covers from #23 that I know and like and haven't mentioned before in the regular countdown or the Last 5 Outs:

Cum On Feel The Noize - Quiet Riot (Slade) -- I didn't know this w- j/k of course I did
Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out - Eric Clapton (Bessie Smith) -- Slight preference for the Derek and the Dominoes version but both are good
You Keep Me Hangin' On - Vanilla Fudge (The Supremes) x2 -- On paper this should not work because it's about as un-Motown as it gets, but it does
Turn the Page - Metallica (Bob Seger) -- This was actually controversial when it came out because how dare they cover a song that's not metal
Would? – Opeth (Alice In Chains) -- I first heard this thanks to @KarmaPolice, who allegedly hates covers. Dude, what gives?
Wrap It Up - Fabulous Thunderbirds (Sam and Dave) -- The other song of theirs I would hear in the '80s, after the ubiquitous Tough Enough
Give Back The Key To My Heart - Uncle Tupelo (Doug Sahm) -- As mentioned earlier, my first exposure to UT was when a promo copy of their final album Anodyne ended up in my newsroom. This was one of the tracks that turned me on to their thing. Sahm himself plays on this cover and performs some of the lead vocals.
Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers (Stevie Wonder) -- Not in the same league as the original, but few things are. So it's not docked for that.
Valerie - Amy Winehouse (The Zutons) -- I took this in the British Isles countdown. Technically it's Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse because it appears on Ronson's album.
Knives Out - Brad Mehldau (Radiohead) -- Someone sent me this back in the day because they knew how much I love the original

Last edited:
shuke:

Sweet Dreams/Sunglasses at Night/Electric Feel mashup - Umphrey's McGee (Eurythmics/Corey Hart/MGMT) NOT ON PLAYLIST

Hmm I thought I gave you a spotify link for this. While I definitely prefer watching a live version of these Umphreys mashups, they did release an album of all studio recordings of these, titled Zonkey.

ONCE AGAIN FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK: I just copy what was sent to me.

If there is a Spotify link to what was chosen but not linked to Spotify, then Hawks does his best to find it, but he doesn't go to heroic links for that. If you want your song on the playlist, then best to send me the Spotify link.

Last edited:
Valerie - Amy Winehouse (The Zutons) -- I took this in the British Isles countdown. Technically it's Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse because it appears on Ronson's album.

I didn't check, but IIRC Ian took an Amy-only version in the British Isles countdown and I assumed it was the same one he took here (as opposed to the Ronson one).

Pip’s Invitation:

You're No Good - Linda Ronstadt (Dee Dee Warwick)

We're only 9 rounds in and I'm the fourth person to draft this. I also drafted it in GP4. Here's what I said there:

Covers channel

5.04 You're No Good -- Linda Ronstadt

She didn't write, so her entire catalog qualifies for this channel. This is her best record, and IMO towers over all other versions (the most famous of which before hers was by Betty Everett.) Peter Asher's hyper-detailed production style serves her and the band extremely well here.

Oh, and Youtube has graced us with an incredible live version from 1977: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEWosGN7Eis

I don't have much to add beyond that and what the previous three drafters said, so let the main takeaway be to check out that live version I linked if you haven't already. It rocks ferociously, which you wouldn't necessarily expect from her.

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xUisVuPt8M

Most famous version before Linda's (Betty Everett): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnp6XKiCPQ4

At #22, kind of like what I said about Vanilla Fudge and You Keep Me Hangin' On, we have an artist and a song that appear to be mismatched on paper, but is anything but in reality.

I didn't check, but IIRC Ian took an Amy-only version in the British Isles countdown and I assumed it was the same one he took here (as opposed to the Ronson one).
It could be. I remember that now.

shuke:

Sweet Dreams/Sunglasses at Night/Electric Feel mashup - Umphrey's McGee (Eurythmics/Corey Hart/MGMT) NOT ON PLAYLIST

Hmm I thought I gave you a spotify link for this. While I definitely prefer watching a live version of these Umphreys mashups, they did release an album of all studio recordings of these, titled Zonkey.

ONCE AGAIN FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK: I just copy what was sent to me.

If there is a Spotify link to what was chosen but not linked to Spotify, then Hawks does his best to find it, but he doesn't go to heroic links for that. If you want your song on the playlist, then best to send me the Spotify link.

Relax, sister, I was just saying I thought I sent it to you.

It took me a minute to warm to the cover of "Farewell Transmission," the original of which is one of my all-time favorites, but when it hooked me, it hooked me big time. The feel of the cover is less sparse and dreary than the original without going too far in the other direction. I'm going to need to listen to this many more times.
I had the same feelings. And I did listen to this one many times. No one can top Jason Molina's original....

It took me a minute to warm to the cover of "Farewell Transmission," the original of which is one of my all-time favorites, but when it hooked me, it hooked me big time. The feel of the cover is less sparse and dreary than the original without going too far in the other direction. I'm going to need to listen to this many more times.
I had the same feelings. And I did listen to this one many times. No one can top Jason Molina's original....

I'm going to force OH to listen to this when we're traveling tomorrow. He and I came to Molina separately but both love his stuff enormously.

I'm going to force OH to listen to this when we're traveling tomorrow. He and I came to Molina separately but both love his stuff enormously.
I predict, at first (and 31st) blush, he's going to hate it.

Enjoy the Sphere....it's an awesome experience.

9 Points - Ring Ring - Sator (Abba)
Original

This song was Abbas first hit. In Sweden. After Waterloo was a smash globally, Ring Ring was rereleased to great success. The contrast from early Abba to latter is stark. Mainly in the lyrics, although there are exceptions both ways.

Cover

It seems to be a rule in Sweden. Be born, get free healthcare, free education, grow up and start a thrash/heavy metal band. Sator follows this tradition. This cover was recorded for a 1992 multi group album called ABBA: The Tribute

9 Points - Neon Lights - OMD (Kraftwerk)
Original

Its hard to beat perfection. This is Kraftwerk at their most majestic and beautiful. Its a sweeping epic of a song that at 9 minutes long is too short. Its influence on synth pop bands cannot be understated. Much covered, never bettered.

Cover

Im not gonna give a note for note word of my love of all things OMD. They have never been shy of their love of all things Kraftwerk. Their only track to not feature Andy McCluskey or Paul Humphreys on vocal, instrumentals apart. Christine Mellor gives it an interesting twist and slight edge. An interesting cover for sure. My last In to the list.

I think insulting someone on a message board with “I bet you don’t even know how to read” would be kind of a poor strategy.
I opened up my Kindle version of a Pulitzer Prize winning biography, searched for a particular page, copied and pasted in a couple of paragraphs from it, and received a curt “it did not happen” reply in response from the same poster in another thread this morning. So, eh, I’m done with that guy.

PM sent to you guys.
Could you tap me in, too, please?

Uruk-Hai:

Somethin' Else - Little Richard & Tanya Tucker (Eddie Cochran)
Song: first vote
Cover artist: Little Richard - first vote; Tanya Tucker – two votes - Somethin’ Else (1); Delta Dawn (1)
Original artist: two votes – Somethin’ Else (1); Summertime Blues (1)
I know @Mrs. Rannous has touted this LP before. It was a bunch of songs combining country & soul stars. I think I may have another from it on my list.

Eddie Cochran's terrific original is immortal. He got labeled (both before and after the fact) with terms like "the suburban Elvis". People who said those things were wrong. Cochran had real talent and should have been a major talent. Unfortunately, he died in a car accident before he could really take off.

Back to my record..... It was made in the '90s, certainly long after Richard & Tanya's glory days. Richard does late-period Richard things - vocal eyerolls, semi-controlled yelps, etc.... Tanya Tucker out-Richards Richard. She's - what? - maybe 30-35 when she cut this, but had been around forever. She lays into her parts with hormones a-flying. Somebody's getting laid tonight and she's one of them.
The album is Rhythm, Country and Blues.

Uruk-Hai:

Somethin' Else - Little Richard & Tanya Tucker (Eddie Cochran)
Song: first vote
Cover artist: Little Richard - first vote; Tanya Tucker – two votes - Somethin’ Else (1); Delta Dawn (1)
Original artist: two votes – Somethin’ Else (1); Summertime Blues (1)
I know @Mrs. Rannous has touted this LP before. It was a bunch of songs combining country & soul stars. I think I may have another from it on my list.

Eddie Cochran's terrific original is immortal. He got labeled (both before and after the fact) with terms like "the suburban Elvis". People who said those things were wrong. Cochran had real talent and should have been a major talent. Unfortunately, he died in a car accident before he could really take off.

Back to my record..... It was made in the '90s, certainly long after Richard & Tanya's glory days. Richard does late-period Richard things - vocal eyerolls, semi-controlled yelps, etc.... Tanya Tucker out-Richards Richard. She's - what? - maybe 30-35 when she cut this, but had been around forever. She lays into her parts with hormones a-flying. Somebody's getting laid tonight and she's one of them.
The album is Rhythm, Country and Blues.
Yep. This is a really good LP.

zamboni:

Ilov80s:

It’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood for me.

In one of our previous drafts someone turned Doc onto Dream Theater after sending a message with album suggestions after he praised a song of their’s in a Lollapalloza or other draft.
I listened to those albums a few times and enjoyed them but somehow they left my rotation.
They do a great job with a great song here.

Where else would you find The Bee Gees (hosting), Chuck Berry, King Crimson and Monty Python in the same place in 1973?

Of note, Monty Python was unknown to almost all Americans in 1973. Their show didn’t air in the US until 1974 (on PBS). Most of the sketches performed on this Midnight Special episode had already been performed on their BBC show, but the audience wouldn’t have seen them.

8 pointer - I like 80s pop
9 pointer - Picked on account of its inclusion in the Vice City soundtrack, still one of my favourite games of all time. Fun fact - Noddy Holder was in my local one time, seeing George Borowski, often credited as being Guitar George in the lyrics to Dire Straits' Sultans of Swing, albeit incorrectly

So going on a post game Wiki rabbit hole, it seems as if Toto and Weezer did mutual covers of Africa and Hash Pipe, both of which if even slightly good I'd have put in the list

they are excellent - had them on the list, just missed the cut
I remember when Weezer covered Africa, it was all over the internets. I did not know Toto did a Weezer cover.

I remember when Weezer covered Africa, it was all over the internets.

In a bit of an addition to your comment, it was all over the internets because the internets begged them to cover the song for some reason. It was sort of a groundswell. They then played it straightforwardly, which could either be a knock on the cover or a meritorious decision. I'd say it was a bit of a knock. It served no real purpose other than to assuage whatever fans were calling for it.

I remember when Weezer covered Africa, it was all over the internets.

In a bit of an addition to your comment, it was all over the internets because the internets begged them to cover the song for some reason. It was sort of a groundswell. They then played it straightforwardly, which could either be a knock on the cover or a meritorious decision. I'd say it was a bit of a knock. It served no real purpose other than to assuage whatever fans were calling for it.
So it was a “internet begs SNL to have Betty White host” situation?

zamboni:

Ilov80s:

It’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood for me.

rules.

I WILL BE OWNING THIS.

So it was a “internet begs SNL to have Betty White host” situation?

Whoops. I'm unfamiliar with that one. Maybe?

I just looked it up. Yeah, it was like that, IIRC. There was an internet clamoring.

I see there's a story here. This about sums it up.

From Betty’s monologue:

You know, I have so many people to thank for being here, but I really have to thank Facebook. [ the audience cheers wildly ] When I first heard about the campaign to get me to host “Saturday Night Live”, I didn’t know what Facebook was. And, now that I do know what it is, I have to say… it sounds like a HUGE waste of time. [ the audience cheers and applauds wildly ] I would never say that people on it are losers… but that’s only because I’m polite.

zamboni:

Ilov80s:

The song reminds me of '84 or '85 in college at a bar called Rafters. This song came on, and a girl playing pool got kinda lovey dovey with her pool stick, and I wouldn't be surprised if she went on to be a pole dancer. In more recent years, The Marcus King Band opened with this version of the song and it sounded great. I've always been a fan of this rendition.

- Manfred Mann's cover of "Blinded By The Light" is one of the few songs I can play on the piano (because it has Chopsticks in it). 🎹
- Train could be a Led Zeppelin cover band on "Ramble On." They sound a lot like the original.
- I prefer M Ward's cover of "The Story of an Artist" over the original.
- The New York Dolls rockin' version of "(There's Gonna Be A) Showdown" is fun.
- I dig that harmonica in Taj Mahal's primitive version of "Honky Tonk Women."
- Listening to the "Knives Out" cover by Brad Mehldau makes me think of Oscar Peterson and his Trio recordings more than Radiohead. Brad is good!
- The Chili Peppers' cover of "Higher Ground" is 🤘.
- Lisa Loeb's light and floaty version of Ozzy's "Goodbye to Romance" is good.
- I like Uncle Tupelo's version of "Give Back The Key to My Heart," and I listened to the original that I hadn't heard before, and I like both versions. The original by Doug Sahm (The Texas Mavericks) is slower in a good way.
- I like this "Ring ring" cover by Sator better than ABBA's original. It's catchy and kickin'.
- Muses cover of "Feeling Good" is cool. I like it a lot.

Speaking of ACC games, I loved the ACC days of when Lefty Driesell was the coach of Maryland. He had a flamboyant personality, and he was a big part of some of the great ACC years in college basketball. Also, he was a coach in one the greatest college basketball games ever played, which was between Maryland and NC State in 1974. He was one of my favorites. RIP Lefty

Speaking of ACC games, I loved the ACC days of when Lefty Driesell was the coach of Maryland. He had a flamboyant personality, and he was a big part of some of the great ACC years in college basketball. Also, he was a coach in one the greatest college basketball games ever played, which was between Maryland and NC State in 1974. He was one of my favorites. RIP Lefty

:goodposting:

Considering that he was 'banished' to the school farthest from Tobacco Road, aka UNC and Duke, who ruled the ACC, Lefty did an amazing job staying competitive with those two schools who had bench players that could start anywhere in the country. And this while losing Adrian Dantley to Notre Dame, Moses Malone to the NBA and J.R. Reid to UNC.

I remember that '74 N.C. State game. Too bad someone had to lose. As upset as I was that my Terps lost, I couldn't help but respect that NC State team.

New-to-me covers from #23 that I very much enjoyed:

Ring Them Bells – Sufjan Stevens (Robert Zimmerman) -- This is one of Dylan's most underrated songs and Sufjan really makes it come alive.
Honky Tonk Women - Taj Mahal (Rolling Stones) -- Bluesman apes Stones who built their career on aping bluesmen. Obviously this is a good fit.
Neon Lights - OMD (Kraftwerk) -- Breezy
Private Life - Grace Jones (Pretenders) -- Amazing. Keeps all the dynamics that make the original great and adds a reggae beat which seems like the logical place to take this song.
The Story of an Artist - M. Ward (Daniel Johnston) -- Everything Ward sings sounds haunting, which makes him a good fit for Johnston's material.
Running Up That Hill – Placebo (Kate Bush) -- Very interesting choice to have a man sing this, as it's about a woman wanting to change places with a man due to all the advantages the latter has.
(There’s Gonna Be A) Showdown – New York Dolls (Archie Bell and the Drells) -- Raucous fun
Goodbye to Romance - Lisa Loeb (Ozzy Osbourne) -- This was so good -- it sounds like it was her song all along
Sweet Dreams/Sunglasses at Night/Electric Feel mashup - Umphrey's McGee (Eurythmics/Corey Hart/MGMT) -- Oh cool, another one of these.
Man on the Silver Mountain - Van Halen (Rainbow) -- I wish the sound quality were better but we have what we have. DLR is a surprisingly good fit for Dio's vocal.
Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door – Antony and the Johnsons -- Almost as haunting as the M. Ward/Daniel Johnston jawn.

Considering that he was 'banished' to the school farthest from Tobacco Road, aka UNC and Duke, who ruled the ACC, Lefty did an amazing job staying competitive with those two schools who had bench players that could start anywhere in the country. And this while losing Adrian Dantley to Notre Dame, Moses Malone to the NBA and J.R. Reid to UNC.

I remember that '74 N.C. State game. Too bad someone had to lose. As upset as I was that my Terps lost, I couldn't help but respect that NC State team.
There were no turnovers in that game. Zero! I don't know if it's changed but, as of a few years ago, you couldn't find a complete replay of that game anywhere. Most of the overtime was missing.

They were two of the top 3 or 4 teams in the country that year and only one could go to the NCAAs. They changed it the next year so that more than one team from a conference could play for a championship. Jay Bilas still calls it "The Maryland Rule".

I'll go to my grave swearing David Thompson was the best basketball player I've ever seen.

I'll go to my grave swearing David Thompson was the best basketball player I've ever seen
I don’t know about best all around, but no one was more explosive and had hops like he did - not even Erving, Jordan or LeBron. Loved the old saying how he could take a quarter off the top of the backboard and leave two dimes and a nickel. Which is only a slight exaggeration.

I'll go to my grave swearing David Thompson was the best basketball player I've ever seen
I don’t know about best all around, but no one was more explosive and had hops like he did - not even Erving, Jordan or LeBron. Loved the old saying how he could take a quarter off the top of the backboard and leave two dimes and a nickel. Which is only a slight exaggeration.
He was best all around I've seen, zam. Injuries and.....um...."living in the 1970s" hurt his pro career. He could do everything better than any player I've ever watched.

He was best all around I've seen, zam. Injuries and.....um...."living in the 1970s" hurt his pro career. He could do everything better than any player I've ever watched.
Yeah, drugs did him in and we never got to see his full greatness.

I'll go to my grave swearing David Thompson was the best basketball player I've ever seen.
This past December, a statue of him was unveiled outside of Reynolds Coliseum. In about a week, the 1974 Championship team is getting honored for it being the 50 year mark. Last year Valvano's 1983 team was honored for the 40 year mark.

Too bad dunking wasn't allowed back in David's days. "Skywalker" would have just glided over everyone about half court and slammed it in. He really could walk on air. He still goes to a lot of the home games. It's nice how much he supports the men's basketball team every year (and there has been some bad ones) in person, and he always makes himself accessible to the fans. He's a good guy.

Considering that he was 'banished' to the school farthest from Tobacco Road, aka UNC and Duke, who ruled the ACC
Lefty didn't have to deal with good Duke for very long since he departed in '86. Duke wasn't good K's first three years, and he started in '80. Duke was a one and done in the NCAA Tournament K's 4th and 5th year, and then after that Duke would be a powerhouse for decades. Lefty's firing because of Len Bias overdosing was BS.

#23 It's My Life - No Doubt (Talk Talk)

Original: Spotify ; Youtube

What kind of weirdo puts this at #23 instead of #25, right? No, but really, it's interesting that I just missed another triple crossover. I've been battling illness the last few days, so you'll forgive me if my brain's a little scattered, but with these repeats, I'll try not to touch on too much that's been said.

Anyway, this is a song where I like both versions pretty equally, and it's difficult to pick a favorite between them. Just slightly different styles and approaches. mostly since it's such a vocals-driven song, and the distinctive voices of Mark Hollis (RIP) and Gwen Stefani go in different directions. I mostly remember Talk Talk from this and a song that matches the band's name, but I'm sure several M-AD could go much deeper. As for No Doubt, they're definitely known better. This was recorded for their first greatest hits album, in place of making a new song as Stefani was focusing on her solo debut album. Reportedly, the band wasn't sure about the idea at first, but warmed up to it. Then it hit huge, going even higher than the original.

At #22 is a song I expect to see show up a fair amount. Maybe I put it lower than a lot of people? Eh, if that's the thought, I won't fight it.

But more on that later. I have two playlists to catch up to.

Users who are viewing this thread