What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Mike Martz Effect (1 Viewer)

Couch Potato

Footballguy
Mike Martz has interviewed for the OC job, and according to the Chicago Tribune is the favorite.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,6315415.story

Wherever Martz has gone, fantasy values have changed. Dramatically.

My expectation:

Cutler :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

WR1 (Hester?) :thumbup: :thumbup:

WR2 (Aromashodu?) :thumbup: :thumbup:

WR3 (Bennett?) :thumbup:

WR4 (Knox?) slight :thumbup:

Forte :)

Olsen ;) :thumbdown:

If Martz comes to town the WR1 through WR4 spots could be shuffled. Some guys "get" his system and thrive, some don't and languish. One thing is sure -- Cutler's value takes a big jump while Forte and especially Olsen suffer. Guaranteed.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Chicago couldn't find anyone else desperate enough and they finally caved to Martz?

They have no o-line. This is a :) in the making. I'm a huge fan of Martz but this won't end well.

So Chicago couldn't find anyone else desperate enough and they finally caved to Martz?They have no o-line. This is a :) in the making. I'm a huge fan of Martz but this won't end well.
This brings up an important point. If Martz does get the job, Cutler owners should strongly consider rostering Caleb Haney also (assuming he keeps the backup job). Martz' scheme is not one that protects the QB well. They always take a lot of hits.

Martz certainly isn't afraid of being fired. Chicago better get some O-Line help for Cutler with Martz's penchant for passing plays that take a long time to develop.

It will be interesting to see how the personalities/egos of Cutler and Martz meld together.

Am I the only one slightly bothered by the fact this appears to be something Chicago "settled" for? Martz lobbied for this job awhile back iirc. Da Bears didn't look like they wanted him as they tried a few other options.

One question: Martz has mainly used journeymen qbs and turned them into decent/good qbs (Warner, Bulger, Kitna). He also taught Trent Green when he was in Washington. How will Martz do with someone with the talent and high draft slot of Cutler? Will Culter thrive or will this be a mismatch?

My own guesstimate of Cutler's numbers for 2010 would be something in the neighborhood of his Denver numbers in 2008 in terms of attempts and yards. And he'll pass more (and I think smarter under Martz) in the red zone if Martz is there, leading to more passing TDs.

Cutler was 384-616-4525-25-18 and a YPA of 7.35 under Shanahan. Last year with a bunch of new and inexperienced WRs to get used to, and Ron Turner at OC, he dropped to 336-555-3666-27-26 and a YPA of 6.61. His YPA had been been 7.3 - 7.5 before last year (both 2007 and 2008), and his completion percentage 2-3 points higher than last year.

I'll project a line of something like 375-600-4400-32-18. Toss in 25 fantasy points running the ball. We're looking at top-5 potential again.

Am I the only one slightly bothered by the fact this appears to be something Chicago "settled" for? Martz lobbied for this job awhile back iirc. Da Bears didn't look like they wanted him as they tried a few other options.
One question: Martz has mainly used journeymen qbs and turned them into decent/good qbs (Warner, Bulger, Kitna). He also taught Trent Green when he was in Washington. How will Martz do with someone with the talent and high draft slot of Cutler? Will Culter thrive or will this be a mismatch?
I think both of you are raising valid points, and this is the danger in trusting the marriage of Mad Martz and Baby Cutler. The Bears "settled" for Martz because others didn't want to deal with Cutler. Cutler is something of a head case. He pouts if things aren't going well. We saw how badly he mangled the McDaniels thing (they both did). And Martz is also a head case and very full of himself, and his megalomaniacal mentality has kept him from staying anywhere for long. One thing is sure. He won't baby Cutler and won't be afraid to tell him to get his head out of his backside when he starts to get an attitude. Will the whole thing blow up? Or will Cutler recognize what Martz can do for his career if he pays attention and learns from him? There's definitely a risk here, but I'm hopeful Cutler can maybe mature some and will be receptive to what Martz can teach him. Because for all of Martz' faults, he definitely has proven he can teach QBs to be successful.

I am sure Martz has changed his philosophy a little. Being out of the league for a while can do that.

This should be good for everybody on this Beara offense. Martz doesn't use TEs but Olsen can play outside considering the lack of talent at WR. Also, Forte can be Marshall Faulk jr.

Passing stats where Martz has gone, before he arrived and in his first year:

1998 Rams (pre-Martz at OC, rank #22) 314-556-3381-12-18 (56.5 comp %, 6.1 YPA)

1999 Rams (with Martz at OC, rank #1) 343-530-4580-42-15 (64.7 comp %, 8.6 YPA) :thumbup:

(We all know Warner's story now, but w/o Martz' system the league MVP never could have happened)

2005 Lions (pre-Martz at OC, rank #26) 297-520-3021-15-18 (57.1 comp %, 5.8 YPA)

2006 Lions (with Martz at OC, rank #7) 372-596-4208-21-22 (62.4 comp %, 7.1 YPA)

(John freaking Kitna at QB and over 4200 yards)

2007 49ers (pre-Martz at OC, rank #32) 274-513-2685-15-17 (53.4 comp %, 5.2 YPA)

2008 49ers (with Martz at OC, rank #13) 309-509-3724-21-19 (60.7 comp %, 7.3 YPA)

(While the 2008 49er stats may not look remarkable, they are a miracle compared to the absolutely horrendous 2007 stats and what Martz had to work with -- Shaun Hill and JT O'Sullivan)

Passing yards increased in each case by 1,000 - 1,200 yards. YPA by 1.3 - 2.5. Passing TDs by 40% with both Lions and 49ers, and of course off the charts with the Rams.

2009 Bears (pre-Martz at OC, rank #17) 340-564-3677-27-27 (60.4 comp %, 6.5 YPA)

2010 Bears ????

Mike Martz has interviewed for the OC job, and according to the Chicago Tribune is the favorite.

My expectation:

Forte :thumbup:

Olsen :yes: ;)

If Martz comes to town the WR1 through WR4 spots could be shuffled. Some guys "get" his system and thrive, some don't and languish. One thing is sure -- Cutler's value takes a big jump while Forte and especially Olsen suffer. Guaranteed.
Forte should have a lot of catches in a Martz system, and he'll probably be a 1,000 yard running back next season. The Bears didn't run the ball much this season, and he was pretty bad outside of games against Detroit games. He can probably duplicate last year's rushing stats on the low end, and probably add a couple hundred yards to the 929 he had last season. He could also break 70 catches next season.

I am sure Martz has changed his philosophy a little. Being out of the league for a while can do that.
I doubt he's changed his philosophy much, if at all. I don't see why he would or should. For all his faults he will improve a terrible offense to the point of respectability and if things go right he could make it a powerhouse.

I doubt he's changed his philosophy much, if at all. I don't see why he would or should. For all his faults he will improve a terrible offense to the point of respectability and if things go right he could make it a powerhouse.
Agreed. And it's becoming more of a passing league, not less. Teams are less concerned with complying with old school run/pass ratios than ever before.

While I do see a bump for the offense as a whole (minus Olsen), the biggest jump between pre and post Martz is going to be the #3 wr.

I fear Cutler, Forte, and Hester will perhaps be overvalued. The #3 wr in a Martz offense is a quality fantasy option.

While I do see a bump for the offense as a whole (minus Olsen), the biggest jump between pre and post Martz is going to be the #3 wr. I fear Cutler, Forte, and Hester will perhaps be overvalued. The #3 wr in a Martz offense is a quality fantasy option.
That's my thinking. So who's the guy to own? Knox or Bennett or both?

While I do see a bump for the offense as a whole (minus Olsen), the biggest jump between pre and post Martz is going to be the #3 wr. I fear Cutler, Forte, and Hester will perhaps be overvalued. The #3 wr in a Martz offense is a quality fantasy option.
Aromashodu is the guy I will want. He seems to have the play after the catch ability that produces in Martz offenses.

Aromashodu is the guy I will want. He seems to have the play after the catch ability that produces in Martz offenses.
Does he run great routes? Don't know enough about Aromashodu, but Doesn't Martz' offense demand incredible route running?

My expectation:

Cutler :lmao: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Forte :thumbup:

Olsen :bowtie: :lmao:

he did have vernon davis for a year and underutilized him, but it is not like he had many TEs as good as olsen to work with in his HC stint with STL and as OC with DET... it might be early to shovel the dirt on him at this stage...that said, i acknowledge, CP, your position is the safe call and more likely to be right...

agreed martz is guilty until proven innocent when it comes to TE use...

the historical record isn't pretty.

* martz's offense is said to be extremely complex... i don't think cutler is unintelligent, but is he known as a hard worker? if not, could be a situation where cutler is better in future years than necessarily in 2010... and as has been pointed out a few times already, the state of the OL could present some inherent constraints that probably no OC could completely surmount.

while martz may be the favorite (almost by default) according to this report, i don't think he is a slam dunk... former rams player personnel exec charley armey was pretty blunt and candid in his assessment of martz... but lovie worked with him, so he should know what to expect. former boss in DET and current CHI DL coach marinelli also seemed to express some not too veiled disappointment...

if he does get the job, looking forward to seeing what he could do for hester...

** as to martz's "system", i think it requires precise timing, which may not be identical to precise route running (obviously related). it is very complicated in that you have to memorize a prodigious amount of variation of plays in different player groupings, alignments, shifts and formations... so defense can't get a handle on when to dial up a blitz based on tendencies...

if there is a salient difference that makes it identifiably his, a few things come to mind... somewhat slow developing, longer in patterns based on rhythm & timing, where the ball is thrown before the WR has cut (of course a lot of NFL passing attacks are based on timing, but you didn't see as much with the rams where the QB just stands back & waits for WR to come open)... also, he doesn't emphasize QB protection to the point of recklessness. he was not the first (or last) passing game architect to throw to the RB a lot, but faulk was a special talent, the greatest receiving RB of his generation, and he recognized it. i recall from fantasy index breakdowns (moreso than infrequent broadcasts :) ) that while his overall pass/run ratio has traditionally been skewed wildly to the air vs. the ground, he actually runs a lot in the red zone.

forte could catch a lot of passes in a martz offense (led all RBs as rookie in '08?), and could get a lot of goal line opportunities, so such a change may not necessarily be bad for him. and of course if martz did get things turned around (maybe with OL reinforcements), the bears may be around the goal line more often.

1. Find another tackle

2. Dig up that cow pasture in Chicago and put down turf.

3. Trade Hester
I think that seriously needs to happen if they are to go anywhere. Rubbish receiver but excellent returner who could get Chicago back into the first day of the draft.

On Pro Football Talk this morning:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ordinator-pick/

Smith, Angelo may be at odds over coordinator pick

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 31, 2010 8:47 AM ET

Mike Martz made his best sales pitch to Jay Cutler in Nashville Saturday.

If he can convince the Bears front office, he just might be back in the NFL. Neil Hayes of the Chicago Sun-Times has sources that say Martz is Lovie Smith's top pick.

The coach usually chooses his staff, but the process is reportedly "complicated," which may indicate some disagreement between Smith and G.M. Jerry Angelo. Cutler's opinion will also be a factor.

The Chicago Tribune, meanwhile, seems to think Martz is in the driver's seat. If the team let him travel to Nashville to meet with Cutler, logic says, he probably has calmed fears about his pass-happy ways.

One thing that the two papers agree on is that this process shouldn't take that much longer. It looks like Martz or Vikings quarterbacks' coach Kevin Rogers will get the job. Hayes says Rogers remains a "strong candidate" after an impressive interview.

A decision could come as soon as today. And it may tell us who has the most juice in among the Bears hierarchy.

My expectation:

Forte :rolleyes:

Olsen :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I think Martz would be a boon for Cutler and since the Bear's became such a passing team last year anyway, might as well have the best passing mind directing the show, and that is Martz. I agree that this is only good news for Cutler. It will also be good news for some of the receivers, but there is NO way to predict which ones. It is not uncommon in a Martz offense for the least likely guy to emerge as the best WR. I would want to own any of those guys but preferably the least expensive.

I am sure Martz has changed his philosophy a little. Being out of the league for a while can do that.This should be good for everybody on this Beara offense. Martz doesn't use TEs but Olsen can play outside considering the lack of talent at WR. Also, Forte can be Marshall Faulk jr.
Forte is not close to Marshall Faulk. I wouldn't be surprised if they draft a fast COP back to complement him for third down situations.

candymanvandyfan said:
1. Find another tackle2. Dig up that cow pasture in Chicago and put down turf.3. Trade Hester
4. Hope Martz's style does not get Cutler killed.
4- Exactly right. The Bears offense doesn't have the players to make Martz system work. There O-Line stinks and there Wrs aren't very good. Too many deep drops and Cutler won't have anytime to throw. He will get crushed.as for Aromashodu, this is his 5th team. He showed some flashes, but 4 other teams cut him so he can't be all that. I don't want martz being the OC of the Bears.

chook said:
candymanvandyfan said:
1. Find another tackle

3. Trade Hester
I think that seriously needs to happen if they are to go anywhere. Rubbish receiver but excellent returner who could get Chicago back into the first day of the draft.
There's no way that anyone gives the Bears a day one pick for Devin Hester.He's a mediocre receiver and the process of him trying to learn that position has severely hampered his return abilities.

It's gotten to the point that he's only returning punts now as he rarely return kickoffs anymore (Only 7 last year)

And whether it's a punt or kick return, he hasn't taken one to the house in two years now.

chook said:
candymanvandyfan said:
1. Find another tackle

3. Trade Hester
There's no way that anyone gives the Bears a day one pick for Devin Hester.He's a mediocre receiver and the process of him trying to learn that position has severely hampered his return abilities.

It's gotten to the point that he's only returning punts now as he rarely return kickoffs anymore (Only 7 last year)

And whether it's a punt or kick return, he hasn't taken one to the house in two years now.
I don't care if they get a bag of chips for him. That's one more bag of chips than they have now without downgrading the ballclub.

Cutler is going to get killed with that o-line and the amount of time it takes for the plays to develop in Martz's offense. Combine that with the fact that they don't really have any legitimate talent at wr and it could be a long year for Cutler.

What about the weather in Chicago? Except for the year in SF, Martz has been in a controlled climate.
I'll one up ya. Except for a few years with one day HOFers in Warner, Faulk, Bruce and Hotl, Martz has been a turd everywhere. Lots of yards and wasted talents.Detroit: MacDonald & Furrey were who he thought were the talented WRs. Not Calvin Johnson. He even brought in that Az Hakim turd for a round in Detroit. He has no ability to judge talent.SF: My gawd, Jimmy Raye got huge numbers out of Vernon Davis yet this schmuck had no clue. Jimmy Ray. Frank Gore, wasted. Pretty sad when Jimmy Ray can outperform you as an OC.Good thing is that after the next stint (chicago or wherever) he will be toast. Most of the league has wisened up to his ability to get a QB killed.

Cutler is going to get killed with that o-line and the amount of time it takes for the plays to develop in Martz's offense. Combine that with the fact that they don't really have any legitimate talent at wr and it could be a long year for Cutler.
He had even less in Detroit to work with.It's amazing how 'mediocre' talent suddenly becomes good with the right coaching.I doubted Martz before he turned Detroit's O around. After seeing what happened there when he left, I think the guy can work in Chicago with thir WRs & Cutler.

I like Knox in Martz system...quick/fast with good hands, if he continues to improve his routes he could be exactly what Martz looks for.

He had even less in Detroit to work with.It's amazing how 'mediocre' talent suddenly becomes good with the right coaching.I doubted Martz before he turned Detroit's O around. After seeing what happened there when he left, I think the guy can work in Chicago with thir WRs & Cutler.
How much did he turn the O around?The were ranked in the 20s before he got there...in the 20s his first year...just barely into the teens his last year. The players did not like the offense and complained...Kitna was sacked a lot, and oh by the way, this Calvin guy also may have helped them look pretty good too.and as for having less to work with?Maybe at QB. Both Olines sucked.Detroits WRs at that time (MacDonald, Williams, Calvin) >>> Chicago WRs

Martz and Cutler should be a good fit. They probably deserve each other.

The last 7 years for Martz-led offenses (2002-2008): 153 TDs, 157 INTs (average of 22-23) with an average of 51 sacks per year - this is right up Cutler's wheelhouse.

Martz teams have averaged 15.8th best in scoring: 23, 9, 6, 9, 22, 19, 23.

He basically gets a lot of yards, a bunch of turnovers, a ####-pile of sacks.

So, a mediocre offense, and an aging defense. Can't wait!

In before - "well now Martz has a HOF-caliber QB to work with."

ETA - his terrible TD/INT ratio are not the result of one bad year - the BEST year was 2008 where it was 21-19 - this was one of only 2 years in the last 7 where his QB had more TDs than INTs.

ouch for Olsen.

Before this season Martz was on nfl network saying how he liked Vernon as just a blocker. Newsflash to Martz, you can get a great blocking TE in the 3rd/4th round of the NFL draft, you don't waste a guy with the tools of Vernon and use him strictly as a blocker.

Olsen is ruined which sucks since he is a great talent.

This means Cutler will be playing in a new offensive system again. Three different systems in the last three years.

Top this off by the solid chance that the whole Bears staff gets canned after 2010, and he could be looking at four in four.

FavreCo said:
What about the weather in Chicago? Except for the year in SF, Martz has been in a controlled climate.
I'll one up ya. Except for a few years with one day HOFers in Warner, Faulk, Bruce and Hotl, Martz has been a turd everywhere. Lots of yards and wasted talents.Detroit: MacDonald & Furrey were who he thought were the talented WRs. Not Calvin Johnson. He even brought in that Az Hakim turd for a round in Detroit. He has no ability to judge talent.SF: My gawd, Jimmy Raye got huge numbers out of Vernon Davis yet this schmuck had no clue. Jimmy Ray. Frank Gore, wasted. Pretty sad when Jimmy Ray can outperform you as an OC.Good thing is that after the next stint (chicago or wherever) he will be toast. Most of the league has wisened up to his ability to get a QB killed.
Garbage

This means Cutler will be playing in a new offensive system again. Three different systems in the last three years. Top this off by the solid chance that the whole Bears staff gets canned after 2010, and he could be looking at four in four.
I think its 4 in four years.

Re: Olsen

As Bob noted, past performance on TEs is not necessarily indicative of future results, but it's hard to imagine this as anything but a downgrade for Olsen.

My expectation:

Cutler :rolleyes: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Forte :lmao:

Olsen :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Matt Forte has 120 recs thru his first two NFL seasons... :eek: just imagine what Martz' system is going to do to this guys numbers!

we're looking at the next RB to catch upwards of 80-90 balls

in PPR Forte will be golden!

:thumbup:

My expectation:

Forte :goodposting:

Olsen :lmao: :thumbdown:

Matt Forte has 120 recs thru his first two NFL seasons... :eek: just imagine what Martz' system is going to do to this guys numbers!

we're looking at the next RB to catch upwards of 80-90 balls

in PPR Forte will be golden!

:thumbup:
He didnt do anything for Frank Gore's reception total

Does he hate tight ends as receivers or does his system simply necessitate the extra blocker to buy the QB's enough time in the pocket?

So is Olsen a good blocker? I'm asking because I own him, and I honestly know nothing about his blocking ability.

I guess I understand the blind euphoria coming from Bears' fans, any change could be a positive, but you do realize that Martz is living off the memory of a great 1999 team?

If you actually look at his offenses since the 1999 Rams team - the overall numbers really are not that good.

Since 1999:

His teams have averaged 4153 yards passing - with an average league rank of 5 - clearly racks up a lot of yards in the air.

- 25 passing TDs - average rank of 9.9

- 23 INTs - average rank of 29th

- 49 sacks - average rank of 26th

- 16 fumbles - average rank of 25th

:lmao:

I think this is a :tfp: waiting to happen - for the Bears, for Cutler, and for Lovie Smith.

I think if you have Cutler - you should trade him before training camps start - this will be the highest value of his career imo

Does he hate tight ends as receivers or does his system simply necessitate the extra blocker to buy the QB's enough time in the pocket?So is Olsen a good blocker? I'm asking because I own him, and I honestly know nothing about his blocking ability.
he is a real bad blocker. his lack of blocking skill may force martz to use him more as a WR. also Martz says he's never had a TE like Olsen. He called him "a mismatch" for other teams

Does he hate tight ends as receivers or does his system simply necessitate the extra blocker to buy the QB's enough time in the pocket?So is Olsen a good blocker? I'm asking because I own him, and I honestly know nothing about his blocking ability.
he is a real bad blocker. his lack of blocking skill may force martz to use him more as a WR. also Martz says he's never had a TE like Olsen. He called him "a mismatch" for other teams
And as has been said a few times about that quote...he had Vernon Davis.VD>>>>>>>Greg OlsenThe TE too. :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread