What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The movie experience has to change (1 Viewer)

The Dude

Footballguy
Seems like there needs to be an evolution in the movie seeing experience - lots of movies failing at the box office. Maybe some type of subscription model where you get one viewing at home. Any ideas.

and I still want my butter drenched popcorn

It’s actually likely shifting more to theaters again. While they aren’t making as much money as they had pre-pandemic, they are making money. Where as streaming services haven’t really figured out how to make money yet. Most streaming services are trying to pivot to theater releases.

Seems like there needs to be an evolution in the movie seeing experience - lots of movies failing at the box office. Maybe some type of subscription model where you get one viewing at home. Any ideas.

What specific aspects of moviegoing do you find suboptimal?

I just exercise patience and wait for it to watch at home. Got a big old oled TV and sound setup that's good enough for me.
Just did this with John wick 4. What a great action movie

My house has more comfortable seats, a screen nearly as sharp and bright, and I can pause to go to the bathroom or rewind to hear missed dialog. What benefit does the theater have? Shoehorned in next to strangers is a plus??

Unlike some, I enjoy the communal experience. Things are always more exciting or funnier with other people. Plus the theater is a distraction free environment. So easy at home to find yourself only half paying attention.
THIS. The pluses of the theater far outweigh the negatives - as you said, 0 chance any of our setups are near the same, horror and comedies greatly benefit from that crowd reaction, and IMO the most important is it's more likely you put your damn phone down and actually just watch the movie.

My beef with the theaters is the content in them, not the experience itself. It's clear the movies I want to see in the theaters does not match that of the vast majority of movie goers. Way too much mass produced CGI fare for my tastes. Not many besides A24 want to take too many chances and move away from known IPs.

It irks me when we think about what some of the best directors we could think of could do even dividing up the money spent on one Fast and Furious or Indy movie. The way my movie tastes align I would rather have 6 of those directors get $50M to make what they want vs. one $300M GCI fest we've seen 100s of times. And that's even fully admitting how much of a blast I had with Maverick in the theater.

I watch enough stuff at home and like to have date night at an actual movie theater. Call me old fashioned. The problem I have is most movies these days aren’t that great. I would be perfectly happy if I never saw a superhero movie ever again.

I think part of the issue is so many things are getting produced for streaming services that the iconic Hollywood movies have taken more of a backseat. Films can cost a pretty penny, and companies would rather make a cheaper, inferior film that will turn a profit over funding something that could bankrupt them. Unfortunately, places haven’t figured out that a film can be both good and inexpensive.

I watch enough stuff at home and like to have date night at an actual movie theater. Call me old fashioned. The problem I have is most movies these days aren’t that great. I would be perfectly happy if I never saw a superhero movie ever again.

I think part of the issue is so many things are getting produced for streaming services that the iconic Hollywood movies have taken more of a backseat. Films can cost a pretty penny, and companies would rather make a cheaper, inferior film that will turn a profit over funding something that could bankrupt them. Unfortunately, places haven’t figured out that a film can be both good and inexpensive.
They have, but it seems to be mostly in the realm of horror. It seems that's where most of the surprise hits and big profit movies come from. That genre is going about as strong as it ever has - last year was amazing for horror.

I think more and more it was just as streaming became the thing, the general attitude became that people are pefectly happy watching most stuff at home. Why exactly should average Joe need to go to the theater to see a comedy, rom/com, horror, most dramas, etc.. Basically it became largely people going to the theater to see something that is above and beyond what they would have at home = action movies. Then it's just a battle for loudest, cgi-est, most action packed stuff. Budgets get bigger = prices going up. So now we have both parties not wanting to take any risks - the studio forking over $200M wants to get that money back, and us dropping $100+ to see a movie want some safety net that we aren't going to be in a murderous rage after 3hrs and after spending all that money. Fast forward to 20 Fast and Furious movie.

and IMO the most important is it's more likely you put your damn phone down and actually just watch the movie.

Seems pretty common to me if you're in a multiplex with more than a dozen people in the theater, I guarantee at least one guy in front of you will have his phone out at full brightness during the film. I'm not even surprised to see a laptop open.

and IMO the most important is it's more likely you put your damn phone down and actually just watch the movie.

Seems pretty common to me if you're in a multiplex with more than a dozen people in the theater, I guarantee at least one guy in front of you will have his phone out at full brightness during the film. I'm not even surprised to see a laptop open.
I should have been specific - if you aren't an ******* it will make you likely to put your phone down and watch the movie.

Going to see Past Lives tomorrow, supposed to be excellent. Possibly best movie of the year so far. Haven’t been to a movie in a couple months so I’m excited.

I started to stray from the theater quite some time ago. The experience stopped matching the value (I do fine professionally). I would go to take my daughter, or an occasional movie I would want to see in the theater, but as some have mentioned, it has become all action.

I do like the trend towards recliners, more concession options, and delivery to seats, but I am happy to spend the $$ on dinner and watch something at home.

I don't think I'll ever set foot in a theater again, to be honest.
This. It's not the same anymore. Too many rude aholes looking at the phones, which then distract the people next to them and lighting up the area around them, people TALKING on their phones or too each other during the movie and the ticket prices are just too much for me. If I do go, it's usually 4 weeks after a movie has premiered when hopefully no one is in the theatre.

For me, though, it's the rude people which has really soured my experience over the last 5-10 years. I don't ever remember it being this bad and it's just getting worse.

This. It's not the same anymore. Too many rude aholes looking at the phones, which then distract the people next to them and lighting up the area around them, people TALKING on their phones or too each other during the movie and the ticket prices are just too much for me. If I do go, it's usually 4 weeks after a movie has premiered when hopefully no one is in the theatre.

For me, though, it's the rude people which has really soured my experience over the last 5-10 years. I don't ever remember it being this bad and it's just getting worse.
That would bother me too but honestly I can’t think of many times where I’ve had people being a distraction. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.

That would bother me too but honestly I can’t think of many times where I’ve had people being a distraction. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.
Me neither. People always say this but I go to the movies a lot and hardly ever see people on their phones once the movie has started. Quick glimpse at the time is about the most I’ve see. Most annoying thing I see is every movie there’s always somebody in the wrong seat. Today……two couples were in the wrong seats. More comical than annoying and it’s before the movie even starts but still………is it that difficult to notice the huge letter on the floor next to each row and then the number directly on the seat?

For me the reserved seating (allowing you to stroll in when the movie is starting instead of having to get there 30 minutes early so you don’t end up in the front row) and the much larger reclining seats, coupled with the ability to purchase alcohol has vastly improved the theater experience for me.

For me the reserved seating (allowing you to stroll in when the movie is starting instead of having to get there 30 minutes early so you don’t end up in the front row) and the much larger reclining seats, coupled with the ability to purchase alcohol has vastly improved the theater experience for me.
Unfortunately, this is the only way we'll go anymore. I'd love to take the kids to the dollar theater like we did all the time when we were kids, but those (or at last an equivalent) don't exist anymore. I'm not ponying up $70-80+ just to get in the theater. Thankfully the grandparents have fallen on that sword a few times just so the kids at least get to experience it, but at that cost we'd rather allocate those entertainment dollars to sporting events.

Last edited:
I love going to the movies. Biggest thing I think is to stop regurgitating the same garbage movies over and over.
Same, I have an incredible home theater setup and it’s nothing compared to an actual theater.

I'd love to hear specifics. I have a 77" OLED TV with 5.1.4 sound. My sound blows away any theater I've ever been in and my seats have three separate adjustments - overall recline, lumbar, and then just adjusting the angle of the back piece alone. Other than sheer screen size, which I concede to the theater and will likely never be able to replicate, I believe every part of my room is better. We enjoyed watching Maverick in our theater more than the IMAX theater we watched it in first. I continue to go to the movie theater, but it's much more rare than it was 10 years ago.

Sure, but at what cost. Each of those conveniences/enhancements comes with an additional cost.

Sure, but at what cost. Each of those conveniences/enhancements comes with an additional cost.

For me, I think that additional cost is around $3 per ticket for my local theater ($11 pre-renovation and now $14). The vastly improved theater experience is easily worth an extra $3 for me, but I’m only an occasional theater-goer (maybe once per month) and I don’t have a large family where the additional cost would be material to our budget.

My wife and I started going to the movies on Tuesday nights at a locally owned theater named the Paragon. $5 Tuesday night movies in a freshly renovated theater with brand new reclining seats, and top high end surround sound systems in each theater.

Seriously the best bargain we have found in over a decade.

This theater is 4 miles from my home. The Regal that is less than 2 miles wants $19 a ticket everyday regardless of the time.

Screw you. $19!!!!

We saw the new Indy movie last night
And it was $12 a ticket. We did not want to wait till next week.

4 people total in the theater……was like being in our own family room.

Now…..we are quite selective in what we see on the silver screen. We typically see horror, big budget action and sci fi and the occasional grandiose war film.

The new Insidious and Oppenheimer are the next two we will see (on Tuesday night for $5 a ticket).

Drama, comedy….we can wait and see it at home on either Netflix/Prime/Max

What specific aspects of moviegoing do you find suboptimal?
I don't know if the model is sustainable from the movie making side based on all the movies that failed to covers costs recently.

A well-known Box office analyst has estimated that the Walt Disney Co. has lost over $890 million on their last eight studio releases

They should be saying NO to more movies but then if volume goes down significantly they will choke out the movie theater, Or you start to force CGI to be more cost efficient. Or maybe bring CGI inhouse (or maybe that's already done)

Last edited:
I love going to the movies. Biggest thing I think is to stop regurgitating the same garbage movies over and over.
This. Most reboots suck (Top Gun was an exception and the only movie I’ve seen in theaters since 2019). Have an original idea and make it to where I want to see it on a big screen. Action movies and comedies.

This was me. For 10 years +. Still is for the most part.

But man, I went and saw Top Gun Maverick in the theater last summer and I'm so glad I did. Recline seats, cold beer and what a ride!

Haven't been back, though.

Same, I have an incredible home theater setup and it’s nothing compared to an actual theater.

I'd love to hear specifics. I have a 77" OLED TV with 5.1.4 sound. My sound blows away any theater I've ever been in and my seats have three separate adjustments - overall recline, lumbar, and then just adjusting the angle of the back piece alone. Other than sheer screen size, which I concede to the theater and will likely never be able to replicate, I believe every part of my room is better. We enjoyed watching Maverick in our theater more than the IMAX theater we watched it in first. I continue to go to the movie theater, but it's much more rare than it was 10 years ago.
65 LG OLED, 7 speakers plus bass for the Atmos sound set-up, 4K player, etc. It looks and sounds great but it’s not the theater. Ford vs Ferrari for example sounds incredible at home. At the theater, my body physically hums as if I was actually sitting behind the wheel of a GT40. Plus there is the obvious screen size which definitely matters.

Regal has
This theater is 4 miles from my home. The Regal that is less than 2 miles wants $19 a ticket everyday regardless of the time.
Regal has a movie pass, $21.99 a month, unlimited movies. Can cancel after 3 months or 1 month, I need to read the fine print. 2 movies a month make it worthwhile. I've heard that MoviePass is making a comeback.

Recently, I've seen Glass Onion, Triangle of Sadness, Knock at the Cabin, and a couple of others. The first 2 were good. I plan to buy a pass for the next couple of months. The Regal in Miami Beach is usually more than half empty. No problem with cell phones or noise. I also saw a movie in LA last Thanksgiving, it was fairly crowded, but no issues with the audience.

Love going to see a movie I’m excited to see on opening weekend. Want a place where I can reserve a seat and that serves drinks.

Definitely don’t go like I used but still see one every couple months.

Will def see Oppenheimer and Dune, part 2 in a theater.

For me, I think that additional cost is around $3 per ticket for my local theater ($11 pre-renovation and now $14). The vastly improved theater experience is easily worth an extra $3 for me, but I’m only an occasional theater-goer (maybe once per month) and I don’t have a large family where the additional cost would be material to our budget.
I don't know if we'd splurge on the kids at that price, but I'd at least think about it. Those prices are closer to the old regal around us though. The nice theater is usually > $20 a pop. The mrs and I will date night there on occasion, but while we can stomach $40 for us triple digits for the whole army is a bridge too far.

Maverick was the last in-theater experience. Was amazing. Mission Impossible will be the next, and our family has a family date night with several of our closest friends for the 21st to all watch together and then go out for pizza after.

Our fam will probably go see Oppenheimer because I'm a bit of a Nolan mark and will force them. That may be our last cinemas movie frankly, other than MI7b or whatever it is.

I only go to movie theatres for block buster movies. I want the big screen and surround sound for the special effects.
It is too costly to go watch a drama on a big screen.
I only go in the afternoons , almost no one there and prices are $12-18 depending on the movie while it is 18-24 at night.

This got me thinking about the cheap movie theatre; it isnt as new and the seats arent as comfy.
6 for all movies
5 for matinee
3 on tuesday's
concession prices are lower as well
It has been forever since I have been there but may have to check it out at those prices .

Users who are viewing this thread