What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Kicker (K) Thread (2 Viewers)

As always; if @Joe Bryant wants me to make a dedicated topic for this, I’m happy to do so.  

I posted it here because this is where I was told to do so.

I would think ~20 people posting their projections for week 5 kickers would be very useful for those looking for a replacement kicker. That’s way more kicker help than you’d get any other week.   :shrug:  
I'm fine what whatever you guys feel is the most useful. 

How about this: since folks have already made their guesses for this contest, we’ll leave this one be (with apologies for all the distraction to the breaking K news of which there is currently none) and if/when I do another one I’ll start a dedicated topic for it.

Good plan?  :hifive:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that its "THAT BIG" of a deal,  but it certainly seems like a dedicated thread for the contest would make the kicker truthers looking for help here in this thread happy........ and would probably make it easier for the contest folks too.  Just my two cents.

On that note, I haven't even entered yet.     :excited:

TZM

I don't think that its "THAT BIG" of a deal,  but it certainly seems like a dedicated thread for the contest would make the kicker truthers looking for help here in this thread happy........
or they could enter instead of complaining literally every season about something that actually helps with what they’re complaining about since this topic is never so active / informative as when there’s a contest, but whatever, it’s settled. 👍🏼

On that note, I haven't even entered yet.     :excited:
What’re ya waiting for?! :pickle:  

or they could enter instead of complaining literally every season about something that actually helps with what they’re complaining about since this topic is never so active / informative as when there’s a contest, but whatever, it’s settled. 👍🏼

What’re ya waiting for?! :pickle:  

I'll enter, give me until later this evening or tomorrow.

I'm all for starting a new thread.  Anything to help eliminate #####ing over kickers is a Godsend ....right?   :P

TZM

I'll enter, give me until later this evening or tomorrow.

I'm all for starting a new thread.  Anything to help eliminate #####ing over kickers is a Godsend ....right?   :P

TZM
We kicked em to the curb in my Dynasty league.

We are still cursed with them in my IDP redraft.

Take your time. Long as your guess is in 10 mins before kickoff for whomever your pony(boy) is, you’re golden. 

the contest has been going for years & is approved by Joe Bryant. This is where he asked me to host it. So this is normal. 

Here, I googled it for you. It was easy. 
That answers nothing, smart ###. Short term IR is minimum 3 weeks for everyone. Doesn't answer the question of how long he's out for. 

And this contest of yours has completely ruined this thread. Congrats. 

Without this contest you’d have to dig pretty deep to find the thread; not many riveting conversations about kickers, and idk why you can’t find useful information within a “contest”

since there are a lot of posts in here, what is the contest and is it a weekly thing where I’ll be too far behind if I didn’t enter week 1? 

since there are a lot of posts in here, what is the contest and is it a weekly thing where I’ll be too far behind if I didn’t enter week 1? 
It’s a once in a while thing. it will likely happen more than once, but each is an independent thing.

The contest rules are usually the same, this week has a small twist for MPAT.

If you go just 1 page back, you’ll see my post with the full description & rules. This is the 3rd or 4th year of this. It costs nothing to enter and you can win a real prize of gourmet hot sauce.  :hifive:

It’s the highest scoring kicker picked.

the highest scoring kicker may not get picked by anyone. Happens all the time. 

So the highest scoring kicker picked, and closest guesses to that score and the longest FG from that K. That's basically the tiebreaker. 
Think I’m clear but just to be sure, if I happened to pick a random kicker that was the top scorer that week, and nobody else picked that kicker, then I win regardless of how far off I am on the total points or long FG, right?

Think I’m clear but just to be sure, if I happened to pick a random kicker that was the top scorer that week, and nobody else picked that kicker, then I win regardless of how far off I am on the total points or long FG, right?
No. 

there’s also the differential in your guess of that kicker’s points, and the difference in long distance guess.

You must be closest in both. There’s no automatic win for picking the kicker with most points. 

If you pick up the highest scoring kicker and you guess his total points are 14.5, but his total is 18.6, you're off by 4.1 points. If you guessed the long would be 47 and his long was 38, you’re off by 9 points. You have a 13.1 point total difference. 

Someone else could pick a kicker who scored 17.5, and guessed 17.2 They’re only off by .3

They might have guessed 45 for a long and the actual long was 41, a difference of 4.  A total difference of 4.3

The smallest variance will win this contest. It’s the same way this has been done for years.  You must be closest to 

1. total points

AND

2. long distance guess

You can’t win on one or the other. It is both. 

No. 

there’s also the differential in your guess of that kicker’s points, and the difference in long distance guess.

You must be closest in both. There’s no automatic win for picking the kicker with most points. 

If you pick up the highest scoring kicker and you guess his total points are 14.5, but his total is 18.6, you're off by 4.1 points. If you guessed the long would be 47 and his long was 38, you’re off by 9 points. You have a 13.1 point total difference. 

Someone else could pick a kicker who scored 17.5, and guessed 17.2 They’re only off by .3

They might have guessed 45 for a long and the actual long was 41, a difference of 4.  A total difference of 4.3

The smallest variance will win this contest. It’s the same way this has been done for years.  You must be closest to 

1. total points

AND

2. long distance guess

You can’t win on one or the other. It is both. 
OK, but you said it also has to be the highest scorer of that week, no?  So if nobody picks the highest scoring kicker, nobody wins?

If that’s the case, then in my example when only one person picks the highest scoring kicker, they could be off by 17 and still be the only person to pick the highest scorer. 

So does the highest scoring kicker matter or not?

OK, but you said it also has to be the highest scorer of that week, no?  So if nobody picks the highest scoring kicker, nobody wins?
no. That was never said, nor is your if/then statement accurate. 

If that’s the case, then in my example when only one person picks the highest scoring kicker, they could be off by 17 and still be the only person to pick the highest scorer. 

it’s not the case, so no. Not remotely true nor is this in the rules. 

I just explained how the scoring works clearly.  You must be closest to 1. Total points and 2. Distance. 

it’s right there in the rules. Don't over-think it. 

So does the highest scoring kicker matter or not?
In the sense that you are guessing a high score yes. 

in the sense that the high scoring kicker is the only kicker to have a chance to win this contest, no. That’s not stated anywhere, because it is not how it works. 

you’re picking a kicker. You are guessing 

1. their total points

2. their long FG

You must be the closest to BOTH of these metrics to win.

if they miss a PAT that’s worth -5 this week. 

That’s it. That’s the contest. Good luck.

It’s the highest scoring kicker picked.

the highest scoring kicker may not get picked by anyone. Happens all the time. 

So the highest scoring kicker picked, and closest guesses to that score and the longest FG from that K. That's basically the tiebreaker. 
This is where I was coming from. I don’t mean to complain. 

I’m trying to clarify the rules, which seem to be contradictory, so perhaps I’m not the only one confused. 

Jason Myers  12.9 points

46 yarder.  

If I don't win, I might order a case for my poker buddies again  in protest.    :excited:

Geesh, that must have been 2 years ago at least.

TZM

Since we have a game on Tuesday night this week (hopefully) someone could conceivably take a K from that game up to 10 mins before kickoff on Tuesday.

Tuesday!

Unlike this ultra-critical topic going 3 entire days with literally no K news or posts, , that’s unprecedented! :pickle:

Someone cut Koo in my league and I saw where he was practicing in FULL, that guy since taking over Kicking duties for Atlanta midway thru his rookie season has had a bunch of double digit games in my league. 15-11-11-18-last year and then 9-17-8 this season, guy generates a lot of Kicker Points but I guess someone thought he had a more serious injury. 

We carry 2 Kickers believe it or not, Have Mason Crosby and have been happy but Koo seems like a better option over Badgely from LAC, both he and Koo have a nice soft schedule coming up. 

Someone cut Koo in my league and I saw where he was practicing in FULL, that guy since taking over Kicking duties for Atlanta midway thru his rookie season has had a bunch of double digit games in my league. 15-11-11-18-last year and then 9-17-8 this season, guy generates a lot of Kicker Points but I guess someone thought he had a more serious injury. 

We carry 2 Kickers believe it or not, Have Mason Crosby and have been happy but Koo seems like a better option over Badgely from LAC, both he and Koo have a nice soft schedule coming up. 
Grabbed Koo this morning when the Titans game was nixed.

Edit: In danger of getting nixed.

Jaguars released K Stephen Hauschka.

Signed at the end of September, Hauschka's time was clearly up after he whiffed on two field goal tries on back-to-back drives that would have given the Jaguars a 13-7 lead at the half. Jon Brown, already Jacksonville's fifth kicker this year, was promoted to the active roster in a corresponding move.

SOURCE: Mark Long on Twitter

Oct 12, 2020, 4:03 PM ET

I moved Thomas to IR yesterday and picked up Mason Crosby for free. Gonna drop Butker, he's been awful so far.

Which probably means he'll have a string of 14-18 point games starting week 6.

When is Lambo expected back?  
Doug Marrone on Josh Lambo: ‘I Don’t See Him Being Able to Come Back This Week’

The Jacksonville Jaguars are experiencing firsthand what happens when a team is without their kicker for an extended period of time, and it looks like the kicker issues will last for at least one more week. 

"I don't see him being able to come back this week, but we are trying to progress as fast as we can to come back for the game against the Chargers," Jaguars head coach said about kicker Josh Lambo on Monday. 

"That is what we are hopeful of. That would be maybe speeding it up a little bit, though, you know, from the normal prognosis originally. "

Lambo, one of the league's best kickers since 2017, hasn't played since Week 2 due to a hip injury. In the three games since, the Jaguars have missed three field goal attempts and one extra point, all while using three different kickers in three games. 

Now, it looks as if Lambo won't be on for the Jaguars (1-4) to take on the visiting Detroit Lions (1-3) in Week 6, leading to even more questions at the kicker position. 

The Jaguars have rostered five kickers this season, while using four different kickers in the last four weeks. Rookie Brandon Wright kicked in Week 3 (missed an extra point before getting injured), Aldrick Rosas kicked in Week 4 (missed one field goal before being placed on an injured list this week) and Stephen Hauschka (hurt in Week 4, missed two field goals in Week 5). 

Hauschka was particularly woeful for the Jaguars in a Week 5 loss to the Houston Texans. In the 30-14 loss, Hauschka missed a 24-yard field goal and a 49-yard field goal within the last minute of the first half. 

“I think we'll figure that out as we go. Obviously with the way the ball was being kicked, it just doesn't have any, he said he just didn't have any pop in his leg," Marrone said when asked about Hauschka and the kicking situation on Sunday after the game.

Rosas has been Jacksonville's best replacement kicker (by default) to this point, making four field goals against the Bengals. He is injured however, with Marrone noting that he isn't sure of whether it happened during the game or not. As of now, the only healthy kickers on the team are Hauscka and Jon Brown, who signed to the team's practice squad last week.

"I think we will, you know, take a good hard look at our kicking situation. When we have a -- fix the issue or resolve the issue, then obviously we'll come out and you guys will be notified with some things," Marrone said.

Oh snap - I need to figure out a winner! 💡 

sorry y’all - doing my day gig. Gonna finish packing orders, make a couple deliveries & hit Costco. Will get to calculating when I get home!

(unless someone has a lot of free time & wants to calculate the winner for me. I’m just sayin. It’s not unprecedented.) :wub:  

BobbyLayne said:
I moved Thomas to IR yesterday and picked up Mason Crosby for free. Gonna drop Butker, he's been awful so far.

Which probably means he'll have a string of 14-18 point games starting week 6.
Had Mason all season, had to grab another to cover the bye last week but felt he was worth holding. The Packers are always moving the ball and in range, Rodgers doesn't always punch in for TDs and Mason might not be Top5 but he is steady and hasn't had a lot of bad days this year. 12-11-16-7 pretty solid. I also have Koo now and he is double digits almost every week since he took over in Atlanta midway thru last season. 

Joey Slye. That’s Sir Slye to you. 
dude’s been knighted?

rewatched Sopranos recently, love it when Kingsley tells Christopher Moltisani “it’s Sir Ben”

back to epic beard man - would you drop Butker for him? he nailed 8 over 50 last year, seems like the real deal

I hate owning the most widely held, consensus #1 K every week - 3 missed PATs (-1 in our format) & averaging 5.33 the last theee games

Panthers seem to be good enough to consistently move the ball, but will stall out from time to time. Slye has a HUGE leg, but he can drive you crazy with missed kicks. That said, they give him deep opportunities frequently. I’ve got him on two of my three teams that use Ks and am not really looking for an upgrade. 

Kickers aren’t really static year to year outside of Gostkowski when he was on the Patriots and Justin Tucker maybe. They come and go.

I generally start looking at FGAs/game as we get a few games into the season and take shots on the guys getting opportunities. Right now, that list looks like:

Colts: 17 FGA - 3.4/GM

Titans: 12 FGA - 3.0/GM

Bengals/Dolphins/Giants/Panthers: 14 FGA - 2.8/GM

Falcons: 13 FGA - 2.6/GM

Then out of that group I try to find the guy that has a big leg (Long FGAs) and a bunch of XP opportunities. That eliminates the Giants with only 4 XPAs on the season. 

Colts, Titans, Panthers, Dolphins, Bengals all look solid for Ks so far. 

Thinking about all this, Jason Sanders is probably on a lot of wires and might be a guy to grab. He’s kicked 10 FGs out of 10 FGAs the last two weeks and added 3 XPs last week. He’s playing the Jets at home this week. 

Sanders will then go on bye, but Carlson likely gets cut over his bye this week, and he’s been smashing for the Raiders with multiple FGAs every week, multiple XPs every week, and a 54 yarder in 3/4 games. 

My concern with Slye would be whether the Bears D can slow down the Panthers offense. I think Slye will be solid, but there’s probably more ceiling (much better game script for the K) with Sanders. Although, the Bears, to date, have allowed the most FGAs in the league. 

My concern with Slye would be whether the Bears D can slow down the Panthers offense. I think Slye will be solid, but there’s probably more ceiling (much better game script for the K) with Sanders. Although, the Bears, to date, have allowed the most FGAs in the league. 
Historically you want a defense to slow down an opposing offense if you have the kicker. Succup's best game this season was against the Bears.  If anything the Bears D slowing down the Panthers O will lead to more, not less FGA. 

Historically you want a defense to slow down an opposing offense if you have the kicker. Succup's best game this season was against the Bears.  If anything the Bears D slowing down the Panthers O will lead to more, not less FGA. 
where are those contest standings?

Users who are viewing this thread