What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The "Old Internet" nostalgia thread (1 Viewer)

shader

Footballguy
Ahh the early internet. The days of dial-up, and the excitement of getting "online".

Three early memories I have:

1. ICQ. I loved that place. Me and a friend used to meet in ICQ chatrooms, make friendly with the "admins", try to get admin status, and then once we became admins, we would kick out all members and permanently ban them. (Hey we were 16 years old, mid 90's here). It was so much fun and would provide literally hours of hilarity.

2. ESPN chatrooms and the early Rivals chatrooms (before all the boards became locked down and required subscriptions). The first couple seasons of the internet were unbelievably fun as it relates to sports. Previously, all trash talking that I did was in the form of trash talking buddies at school. Now, I could get on the internet and chat football with an unbelievable amount of strangers. I'll never forget a game I watched where Nebraska got embarrassed. I went to the Nebraska chat room and completely started ribbing the Cornhusker fans. They all massed together against me for an hour of hilarity, bragging about how they were the most storied program in the world, as I baited them for fun. Yes, again, this was a jerkish move, and is now considered "trolling". Back then it was unbelievably fun. Debates were new, fresh and extremely exciting.

3. Getting "online". Was there anything more fun that the 20-30 seconds that you spent getting "online". This went away with broadband, and now these young whipper snappers are always online. But "back in the day", the act of "getting online" was almost as exciting as actually being online.

Your memories?

Yeah, back when there was no such thing as consumer broadband.

I was at the beginning of my IT career back then and remember swapping people's 14.4k modems for a brand spankin new Sportster 56k. Man, people's eyes about popped out of their heads when the found out they'd get a whoppin' 56k

I had AOL back then and remember playing SLINGO a lot.

I think there are still a lot of old people who have no idea they don't have to pay for AOL anymore, and can just hook right up to the Interwebs without it.

I was too active in the days of dial up to care. I was never home. But when high speed first started and people started uploading Grateful Dead shows to the LMA, that was the greatest thing ever.

Putting the stats, schedule, standings etc of my fantasy league online.

Was just basic stuff but I purchased a program and paid like 80 bucks to have the stats downloaded to the program, I then would publish the website.

I remember getting a domain and then having great visions of making a website (something like FBG).

Just remember leaving the pc on why things uploaded/downloaded because it took forever...

Thought it was so cool to be able to do that. :bag:

The "Under Construction" animated GIF, and webpages with multicolored backgrounds and dividing horizontal bars between sections. Ahh, memories.

- Constantly watching the clock to see how much this trip online was going to cost me in hourly access rates

- Thinking I was some kind of stats phenom because I got lucky guesses right to win an 8 person baseball trivia room

- ding-ding-dong-ba-ding-pssshhhhhhhhh

- Getting all those AOL discs in the mail with those cool mini-tins

- Un-sending emails!!! (this actually used to be possible)

Did anyone else NOT use AOL?

Earthlink FTW!!!

Even back then I went against the masses :P

Last edited by a moderator:
proggies

36 hours to download an 8x11 centerfold.

jerking off to pictures

netscape

rec.sports.fantasyfootball

where i first encountered charcters like Bubba, Shick, RaiderNation, Joe Bryant, Conquie, Switz, magnificent *******, Clayton Gray and others that I'm surely forgetting

Ahh the early internet. The days of dial-up, and the excitement of getting "online".

1. ICQ. I loved that place. Me and a friend used to meet in ICQ chatrooms, make friendly with the "admins", try to get admin status, and then once we became admins, we would kick out all members and permanently ban them. (Hey we were 16 years old, mid 90's here). It was so much fun and would provide literally hours of hilarity.

2. ESPN chatrooms and the early Rivals chatrooms (before all the boards became locked down and required subscriptions). The first couple seasons of the internet were unbelievably fun as it relates to sports. Previously, all trash talking that I did was in the form of trash talking buddies at school. Now, I could get on the internet and chat football with an unbelievable amount of strangers. I'll never forget a game I watched where Nebraska got embarrassed. I went to the Nebraska chat room and completely started ribbing the Cornhusker fans. They all massed together against me for an hour of hilarity, bragging about how they were the most storied program in the world, as I baited them for fun. Yes, again, this was a jerkish move, and is now considered "trolling". Back then it was unbelievably fun. Debates were new, fresh and extremely exciting.

3. Getting "online". Was there anything more fun that the 20-30 seconds that you spent getting "online". This went away with broadband, and now these young whipper snappers are always online. But "back in the day", the act of "getting online" was almost as exciting as actually being online.

Your memories?
ICQ or IRC? :nerd:

Remember those free AOL CDs? We use to get tons of them and make trippy decorations out of them for our dorm room.

rec.sports.fantasyfootballwhere i first encountered charcters like Bubba, Shick, RaiderNation, Joe Bryant, Conquie, Swift, magnificent *******, Clayton Gray and others that I'm surely forgetting
I remember being treated like a developmentally challenged leper with ultra-AIDS on usenet because I was on AOL.

Your memories?
Oh crap I don't know. Now IRC sounds right. It was a separate program outside of internet explorer, netscape navigator, or whatever I used back then.

Your memories?
Oh crap I don't know. Now IRC sounds right. It was a separate program outside of internet explorer, netscape navigator, or whatever I used back then.
/me slaps shader with a large trout AGAIN

rec.sports.fantasyfootballwhere i first encountered charcters like Bubba, Shick, RaiderNation, Joe Bryant, Conquie, Swift, magnificent *******, Clayton Gray and others that I'm surely forgetting
Janis/Scogemeist, Bill Beal, The Caplans, Greg Kellogg, He who shall not be named, The Cage FF league, Donny T

I was at the beginning of my IT career back then and remember swapping people's 14.4k modems for a brand spankin new Sportster 56k. Man, people's eyes about popped out of their heads when the found out they'd get a whoppin' 56k

I think there are still a lot of old people who have no idea they don't have to pay for AOL anymore, and can just hook right up to the Interwebs without it.
This would be my mom...Took me FOREVER and a ton of explaining to her to get her to cancel her AOL and stop paying for it.. "But, but, it's my EMAIL, how will I get email without AOL??" :wall:

I remember getting pissed when I got a 56k modem but the fastest available in my area was 28.8 :rant:

'playin4beer said:
'Jobber said:

This would be my mom...Took me FOREVER and a ton of explaining to her to get her to cancel her AOL and stop paying for it.. "But, but, it's my EMAIL, how will I get email without AOL??" :wall:
I went through the exact same thing less than a year ago. "How am I supposed to get on the internet if you deleted AOL? What is Safari? Do I have to pay for that too? Why would I want to go to AOL.com if I can just open up AOL?"

Surfing the web in text only green screen monitors in the college computer lab.

My first foray into an online community was linking into the ISCABBS (Iowa Student Computer Association BBS). Many hours of study lost to iFlirting.

RealmsMudMMORPG.

There was this program called Winnuke. When people posted on IRC/ICQ it left their ip address. We would input their IP address and it would reboot their computer.

/early hacking

'shader said:
'UniAlias said:
'shader said:

Your memories?
ICQ (I seek you) was primarily a messenger service if I recall correctly. I'm sure they had public chat rooms but IRC (Internet Relay Chat) was really popular with channel takeovers and bots and all that.Downloading "warez" off IRC takes me back.

Users who are viewing this thread