What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The one fact of the 2013 preseason (1 Viewer)

CBower4545

Footballguy
All the pundits, analysts, fantasy experts, and fans agree, New England is taking a large step back in 2013. They might not completely fall on their face, but they should be happy to squeak into the playoffs, grateful for the gift of a miserable division. As I heard someone say on one of the fbg podcasts, they will have an entirely new receiving core in 2013. It's unprecedented, and simply too much to over come. With so little at the skill position it will be an uphill battle all year. Before we cross them off the list, bump Brady down our cheat sheets, and have ourselves a nice chuckle (or cry I suppose for pats fan), I would like to ask a few questions.

Is it possible that Amendola is better then Welker? Welker has been great, but could Amendola be a better younger version if healthy.

Was Loyd really much good last year? The Pats don't think so. They could sign him today if they wanted to, but prefer to go with the rookie. Does it seem so crazy that Thompkins could have a better year? Can the depth at wr be any worse then 2012?

Woodhead played well, but could Vereen be the more talented player? They have been looking to get Vereen more involved after Vereen barely saw the field last year. Is more Vereen a plus? Does the addition of Blount add any value?

With an offseason to plan, and Sudfield rising, could they cover the loss of Hernandez better in 2013 then 2012? In 2012 A Hern missed 6 games. The Pats average 295 passing yards per game and 42.3 points per game vs 302 passing yards per game and 34.8 points per game on the season. How badly does the loss of Hernandez impact the offense?

Gronkowski missed 5 games in 2012, is it possible that he play 12+ games in 2013? What if he is ready week 3 or 4, could he play out the season?

Offensive line, coaching and quarterback are all still good right? Could the defense be better?

I am a Bills fan and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the Pats face planted. I wouldn't mind sharing everyone's certainty, but I am just having a hard time counting my chickens here. 2012 was a great season for the Pats, but one fraught with obstacles, it doesn't feel like they maxed out. My final question,

Is it possible the Pats actually end up better in 2013?

I have a feeling Brady is going to earn his ADP one way or another. Probably won't surpass it, but will have a solid year. Amendola will be a PPR machine when healthy, and Brady will spread it around to the other targets as he does so well. I think people are losing their minds a little over Sudfeld and Thompkins, but clearly they are working themselves nicely into the mix. Then Gronk comes back and if those 4 can stay healthy more or less all season, that's not a horrible collection of weapons. Ridley and Vereen are a nice complementary pair of backs as well.

If we're talking football vs. fantasy, obviously their biggest concern will be on defense. They were putrid against the pass last year and that needs to change if they are to make any noise in the postseason. Personally I hope it doesn't change because it means Brady has to keep throwing.

There are many threads discussing this here. I do not think there is any agreement about the Patriots declining due to so many different players at their skill positions. Some have said this but I do not think that is the majority opinion. Perhaps I am wrong. In any case I disagree with that premise. The Patriots have gone through similar transformations at their skill positions before without much of a hiccup.

As far as the Patriots being even better than last season? It is possible. However they set a new record for number of offensive plays last season, so while I think it is possible they raise that bar once again, actually doing so is somewhat unlikely.

People wishing for the Patriots to return to pre Welker/Moss level with their offense are doing just that though. Wishing. They will still be a potent offense and one of the best in the league if not the best in 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread