What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The redskins management is comical (1 Viewer)

Comprendez?
No. You posted that the Skins wouldn't let go of Ramsey for a "trinket". That's a wise move. Then you said their management was stupid. See the contradiction?

The Raiders have been very competitive in their 3 losses and have not been held under 17 points. The Skins D may be tough, but I wouldn't consider them tougher than NE and their offense doesn't look capable of 17+ points so far. Woodson covers S.Moss and they contain Portis like they did to Dillon...who's going to step up?
I'm not debating that. I'm debating that many picked them to win the division before the season started.

The Raiders have been very competitive in their 3 losses and have not been held under 17 points.  The Skins D may be tough, but I wouldn't consider them tougher than NE and  their offense doesn't look capable of 17+ points so far.  Woodson covers S.Moss and they contain Portis like they did to Dillon...who's going to step up?
I'm not debating that. I'm debating that many picked them to win the division before the season started.
Yeah I never caught that plethora of promising Oakland prognosications either.

It's not a "wise" move, it's an obvious move. Even obvious to the Redskins' management.
What is obvious about trading your backup QB for a second day pick when you are currently undefeated???? If the Bengals traded Jon Kitna for a 4th round pick, would that be a good move???

Washington Post article (near the bottom)
The New York Jets inquired about Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey before signing free agent passer Vinny Testaverde yesterday, but were quickly rebuffed, Redskins officials said.Vinny Cerrato, Washington's vice president of football operations, said he had a "10-second conversation" with Jets assistant general manager Mike Tannenbaum on the matter. "We told them we're very happy with our quarterback situation," Cerrato said, "and we're not interested in making a trade."NFL executives contacted yesterday said they do not believe Washington would trade its backup passer before next month's trade deadline, although they anticipate a parting of ways in the offseason. "Is there a market for Ramsey? Yeah," one general manager said. "But we really believe they're going to need two quarterbacks, and they have to know that, too. What happens if [Mark] Brunell goes down?" Another general manager said: "Gibbs is not going to trade [Ramsey]. He's always wanted depth at quarterback. I could see why Ramsey would want out, but it's not going to happen anytime soon with Gibbs calling the shots there."

And a conflicting story: NewJersey.com staff writer

At about that time, the Jets' front office was making a strong pitch to trade with Washington for opening-day starter Patrick Ramsey. But it was hardly strong enough - one NFL source said the Jets were offering a fifth-round pick, but the Redskins wanted a second-rounder.That gap couldn't be bridged, so Edwards said he slept on the decision, then in the morning said he called back Testaverde. "There wasn't a discussion - it was the best thing for this team," he said.

quote=jwvdcw,Sep 27 2005, 04:00 PM]

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Jets' attempts to trade for Washington QB Patrick Ramsey have been rebuffed by the Redskins. They despise Ramsey and when they have the opportunity to get something for him from the jets, they decline. So he sits and rots. Man they are morons. He's not that good to begin with so dump him.

Idiots. They would much rather have nothing in return as that is too sweet of a deal to pass up.
Ok, so let's sound this out and ignore the fact that we have no idea what the Jets offered for Ramsey. They trade Ramsey for God-knows-what (probably a draft pick), and then Brunell (who everyone says will likely go down to injury at some point) goes down and is replaced in the lineup by the talented-but-raw Jason Campbell. The Redskins then proceed to lose a bunch of games due to rookie play at QB despite being solid to excellent on defense, and on o-line, and at RB, and good at WR. What would clowns like you be saying then? :rolleyes: Comments like these are based more upon a three-to-five-year old stereotype than upon reality.

Ramsey is signed through 2006. As a 'Skins fan, I LOVE the talk about how the team was unfair to him, didn't give him a chance, etc. You know why? Because that will only reinforce the perception by teams that they haven't seen his true potential as a former first rounder and that he's worth as shot as a prospect for their franchise QB. The 'Skins will get a 2nd rounder for him this offseason just like the Eagles got a 2nd for AJ Feeley. :shock:
What I would be saying is that the 'smoke and mirrors' redskins should have taken anything they could get. They are not a playoff caliber team. They got a gift from Dallas, played the hapless bears week 1. They have a total of 23 points under their belts (that should be 9 had not Parcells fell asleep by not vetoing Payton's playcalling stupidity). They are going no where and if you think they are you are clueless. Their offense is pitifully inept regardless of who the QB is. Any team putting up 20 points on them wins via default. I see a max of 4 more wins this year.
The 2-0 Redskins are not even a contender for the playoffs? FYI, those Bears beat up the Lions pretty good the next week. And what gift did the Cowboys give them? S. Moss beat them deep fair and square...Parcells coached teams don't just give games away; The Skins won it. And fyi, those Cowboys are 2-0 in other games.

:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

Took the words right out of my mouth, I mean cmon, 4 wins max? THEY ALREADY HAVE TWO....trading ramsey for a 2nd day pic? i would have hung up on the Jets, im not skins apologist but if you have a 2-0 team is not a playoff contender, your dead wrong

You can't use the Feeley trade as a comparison. That was a dumb deal by an even dumber management team than Snyder's.
It's called market value. That argument doesn't seem to fly when you're signing draft picks either. You may not believe that all or even any of the guys I'm about to mention are franchise QB's, but it's clear the teams that acquired them did. Look at what the 'Skins gave up to get Campbell this year. Look at what the Chargers gave up to the Cardinals to move up in the draft to get Ryan Leaf. Look at what the 'Skins gave up to trade for Brad Johnson back in 1999. Each of these involved first round picks, and more.

The fact is that there is a premium to be paid on any QB who is viewed as a potential franchise QB. Agree or not Ramsey is still viewed as such by many teams including apparently the Jets. If the Miami trade was stupid, it was because they thought Feeley was a potential franchise QB, not because they overpaid for what they thought they were getting.

And a conflicting story: NewJersey.com staff writer

At about that time, the Jets' front office was making a strong pitch to trade with Washington for opening-day starter Patrick Ramsey. But it was hardly strong enough - one NFL source said the Jets were offering a fifth-round pick, but the Redskins wanted a second-rounder.

That gap couldn't be bridged, so Edwards said he slept on the decision, then in the morning said he called back Testaverde. "There wasn't a discussion - it was the best thing for this team," he said.
The Jets, of course, want to come across as thoughtful and deliberative in their approach to this situation to the hometown fans. :yes:

I see your point, the Man, but this was probably the only chance for the 'Skins to get anything for Ramsey.
Seems to me the Redskins must still have a future plan for Ramsey.
Gibbs hates Ramsey and if they did they would not have drafted Campbell. You don't draft a QB in the first round if you like a young guy already on your roster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redskins are thinking playoffs and Brunell is no guarantee to stay healthy for the remaining 14 games. Ramsey is a huge insurance policy for the season and hardly worth a 5th round pick; just ask the Jets themselves.5th round picks last season:Robert McCune Redskins LB LouisvilleAndre Maddox Jets DB North Carolina StateDid McCune and Maddox even make the team's opening day rosters?

A second or possibly a 3rd rounder is the bare minimum for a QB who is perceived as a potential starter, which is what Ramsey would be for the Jets. And no, McCune didn't make the roster; he's on the PS.

A second or possibly a 3rd rounder is the bare minimum for a QB who is perceived as a potential starter, which is what Ramsey would be for the Jets.
The question the Jets have to ask themselves is, "How much would we have to give the Redskins for them to give us their insurancy policy for their season?"They would be lucky if it only cost them a 2nd round pick.

A second or possibly a 3rd rounder is the bare minimum for a QB who is perceived as a potential starter, which is what Ramsey would be for the Jets. 
The question the Jets have to ask themselves is, "How much would we have to give the Redskins for them to give us their insurancy policy for their season?"They would be lucky if it only cost them a 2nd round pick.
I agree. As a practical matter, this trade won't happen this season for that reason. Next offseason, the price will go down because Campbell will be that much more up to speed, and they won't feel like they need Ramsey as a backup anymore.

Redskins are thinking playoffs and Brunell is no guarantee to stay healthy for the remaining 14 games. Ramsey is a huge insurance policy for the season and hardly worth a 5th round pick; just ask the Jets themselves.

5th round picks last season:

Robert McCune Redskins LB Louisville

Andre Maddox Jets DB North Carolina State

Did McCune and Maddox even make the team's opening day rosters?
Maddox got hurt in the preseason and is out for the year - more of a special teams ace. Kerry Rhodes , NYJ 4th rder last draft, is starting as a safety - so there is value in the 4-5 rds. I'm sure the Jets would have ponied up a 4th but can't blame the Skins for keeping an insurance policy. If they were 0-3 it may be different

Fine with the JEts going with Brooks/Vinny this year - something has to be done in the offseason though even if Chad can "return". Maybe Ramsey will land with them at that time.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Jets' attempts to trade for Washington QB Patrick Ramsey have been rebuffed by the Redskins.

They despise Ramsey and when they have the opportunity to get something for him from the jets, they decline. So he sits and rots. Man they are morons. He's not that good to begin with so dump him.

Idiots. They would much rather have nothing in return as that is too sweet of a deal to pass up.
Ok, so let's sound this out and ignore the fact that we have no idea what the Jets offered for Ramsey. They trade Ramsey for God-knows-what (probably a draft pick), and then Brunell (who everyone says will likely go down to injury at some point) goes down and is replaced in the lineup by the talented-but-raw Jason Campbell. The Redskins then proceed to lose a bunch of games due to rookie play at QB despite being solid to excellent on defense, and on o-line, and at RB, and good at WR. What would clowns like you be saying then? :rolleyes: Comments like these are based more upon a three-to-five-year old stereotype than upon reality.

Ramsey is signed through 2006. As a 'Skins fan, I LOVE the talk about how the team was unfair to him, didn't give him a chance, etc. You know why? Because that will only reinforce the perception by teams that they haven't seen his true potential as a former first rounder and that he's worth as shot as a prospect for their franchise QB. The 'Skins will get a 2nd rounder for him this offseason just like the Eagles got a 2nd for AJ Feeley. :shock:
What I would be saying is that the 'smoke and mirrors' redskins should have taken anything they could get. They are not a playoff caliber team. They got a gift from Dallas, played the hapless bears week 1. They have a total of 23 points under their belts (that should be 9 had not Parcells fell asleep by not vetoing Payton's playcalling stupidity). They are going no where and if you think they are you are clueless. Their offense is pitifully inept regardless of who the QB is. Any team putting up 20 points on them wins via default. I see a max of 4 more wins this year.
:bye: BTW, Ramsey sure came in handy last week vs. the Giants, no?

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Jets' attempts to trade for Washington QB Patrick Ramsey have been rebuffed by the Redskins.

They despise Ramsey and when they have the opportunity to get something for him from the jets, they decline. So he sits and rots. Man they are morons. He's not that good to begin with so dump him.

That may well be, but the facts remain that they are 2-0 so far this year, have beaten a division rival away, and the Bears aren't as hapless as they used to be.Given the good fortune so far, I can't condemn them for wanting to hang on to their backup QB, even if they have no serious future plans for him - ESPECIALLY since we have no idea what the Jets offered.

I am no Skins apologist, and I agree that they do not look like a playoff caliber team, but it's kind of hard to give up on your season at 2-0. Trading away the only guy on your roster other than the old, injury-prone starter that has any game experience would look a lot like giving up unless the offer was pretty substantial.
True, but the redskins management, being clueless, has no idea how gawd awful their team really is. They will end up getting nothing for Ramsey when they had a chance at something. I liken them to a bunch of boiler room managers trying to pump up their monkey phone dialers (the fans and players) on some sales after 2 stellar :rolleyes: wins. And the bears? They are horrific and going no where for at least the next 2 years minimum. Grossman is frail and Orton will need time. That in the worst division now in football. Division champ could be 8-8. Looks like Minnesota via default.
:lmao:

The 2-0 Redskins are not even a contender for the playoffs? FYI, those Bears beat up the Lions pretty good the next week. And what gift did the Cowboys give them? S. Moss beat them deep fair and square...Parcells coached teams don't just give games away; The Skins won it. And fyi, those Cowboys are 2-0 in other games.
you guys have no idea how much fun I'm having right now. I'm going to be rooting like crazy for the Skins next week, but even if they lose, its been great this year just because of stupid comments like those made in this thread and my Skins thread.....hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Redskins then proceed to lose a bunch of games due to rookie play at QB despite being solid to excellent on defense, and on o-line, and at RB, and good at WR.  What would clowns like you be saying then?  :rolleyes:   Comments like these are based more upon a three-to-five-year old stereotype than upon reality. 
I got news for you. The redskins ARE going to lose a bunch of games due to no offense whatsoever.An excellent defense is not helping Baltimore any and these guys are just as pathetic on offense. Take out the 2 fluke plays against the sleeping cowboys and they are WORSE. You clown. :rolleyes:
:lmao: :lmao: Entering the playoffs, the Skins have one of the best offenses in the league.

edit: just noticed I have them winning 6 of their final 7 games after starting 4-5.  Could be unlikely.  I didn't see them beating Dallas in dallas though, so if they could pull out a road win in New York, KC, Denver, or beat Philly at home, that would help things.
I noticed that too, but I had the opposite reaction. It looks realistic to me. Gibbs' teams have tended to get stronger as the season goes on. This year's team is most similar IMHO to the 'Skins 1985 and 1989 teams, both of which finished 10-6 BTW. The similarity is due to the fact that there's new personnel in place as part of a rebuilding effort. In 1985 the team won 5 of their last 6 and 7 if their last 9 games; in 1989 the team ended the year on a 5 game winning streak, and won 6 of their last 7.
For posts like this one, I :wub: me some me. ;)

That may well be, but the facts remain that they are 2-0 so far this year, have beaten a division rival away, and the Bears aren't as hapless as they used to be.Given the good fortune so far, I can't condemn them for wanting to hang on to their backup QB, even if they have no serious future plans for him - ESPECIALLY since we have no idea what the Jets offered.

I am no Skins apologist, and I agree that they do not look like a playoff caliber team, but it's kind of hard to give up on your season at 2-0. Trading away the only guy on your roster other than the old, injury-prone starter that has any game experience would look a lot like giving up unless the offer was pretty substantial.
True, but the redskins management, being clueless, has no idea how gawd awful their team really is. They will end up getting nothing for Ramsey when they had a chance at something. I liken them to a bunch of boiler room managers trying to pump up their monkey phone dialers (the fans and players) on some sales after 2 stellar :rolleyes: wins. And the bears? They are horrific and going no where for at least the next 2 years minimum. Grossman is frail and Orton will need time. That in the worst division now in football. Division champ could be 8-8. Looks like Minnesota via default.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Honestly, why do people make posts like this? If you're right, nobody thinks twice about it. But if you're wrong, you get ridiculed like crazy.

Make smart posts, and back them up with facts. But to start a thread and just bash a team that you hate.....you're only going to end up looking like an idiot.

10 wins.

So, I see them putting a run together at the end of the season with their record around .500 at that time. They'll be on the bubble most of the season, but I actually think they could pull it off!!!!
:thumbup:

edit: just noticed I have them winning 6 of their final 7 games after starting 4-5.  Could be unlikely.  I didn't see them beating Dallas in dallas though, so if they could pull out a road win in New York, KC, Denver, or beat Philly at home, that would help things.
I noticed that too, but I had the opposite reaction. It looks realistic to me. Gibbs' teams have tended to get stronger as the season goes on. This year's team is most similar IMHO to the 'Skins 1985 and 1989 teams, both of which finished 10-6 BTW. The similarity is due to the fact that there's new personnel in place as part of a rebuilding effort. In 1985 the team won 5 of their last 6 and 7 if their last 9 games; in 1989 the team ended the year on a 5 game winning streak, and won 6 of their last 7.
:o

Users who are viewing this thread