What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The silver lining - Trumps successes/good moves in the eyes of those who generally oppose his policies and approach (2 Viewers)

Looks like Trump has turned this thing around.  He's purged most of the crazies from his cabinet with the exception of Miller.  Reaching across the aisle to get legislation passed.  Pissed off the far-right base by trying to get DACA extended.  :thumbup:
End of the day, I want him to be a good President.  Dumping Bannon from his cabinet was huge.  

This has probably been mentioned, but I find it positive that there's at least a threat that Trump will work with Democratic leaders on important issues if the R's can't get it together.

This kind of flexibility in office CAN be incredibly beneficial for the American people if used judiciously and in the interests of the American people.  

It also has the potential to cause problems as Trump doesn't have a clear set of detailed policies he's looking to enact, and many of his ideas are really bad for the country.  But, this thread is about silver linings, and I can see some positives of breaking down the historically partisan lines in order to get things done...just hope things that get done are beneficial things like DACA.

If the USA really is staying in the Paris Accord as the Journal is reporting, that is a silver lining. 

Paris isn't perfect, but the best way to be a factor to make the next version of it better is from within, not outside.

Wait...so he is flip flopping in that too?

I may just like September Trump.
Wall Street Journal says Trump administration officials have told reps of other countries at a global warming summit that the U.S. will not pull out of the Paris Agreement.  

White House is denying the story, says Trump hasn't changed his position.    

Bruce Dickinson said:
If the USA really is staying in the Paris Accord as the Journal is reporting, that is a silver lining. 

Paris isn't perfect, but the best way to be a factor to make the next version of it better is from within, not outside.
There are over 350 cities and several states that are passing legislation to follow the Paris Accords. Despite Trump.

Looks like Trump has turned this thing around.  He's purged most of the crazies from his cabinet with the exception of Miller.  Reaching across the aisle to get legislation passed.  Pissed off the far-right base by trying to get DACA extended.  :thumbup:
Well....tides are changing a bit....far from complete.  Hopefully it keeps going this direction.  I don't think the supporters are paying as much attention to him as they are his detractors.  I don't see any threads with them pissed that he's done a complete 180 on them on issues they felt he'd deliver on.

So. Amnesty, Paris, No Wall.  All in 2 weeks since Bannon out. Obamacare still running.  Um ok..

Other than scotus is there really anything the guy has done that is traditionally conservative?

I just want to mention that he didn't welch on his donations wrt Harvey.

This is where we are. The silver lining is that the president didn't lie when he announced a series of large donations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @MaxThreshold, no problem here, just being helpful. This thread was created for critics and supporters to recognize positive Trump events. I wasn't sure if you had seen it.
There's no question he's seen it. It just flies in the face of all his rhetoric about "the left just bashes on Drumpf for everything and anything......the left won't ever give him credit.....," that he can't bring himself to acknowledge it.

And I think I support Trump supporting Luther Strange over Roy Moore in Alabama. (Leaving aside the Democrat who has less than zero chance, and putting aside that Trump supporting Strange may have knocked out Mo Brooks). Moore is sure to win but he's a national disaster in the Senate.

And I think I support Trump supporting Luther Strange over Roy Moore in Alabama. (Leaving aside the Democrat who has less than zero chance, and putting aside that Trump supporting Strange may have knocked out Mo Brooks). Moore is sure to win but he's a national disaster in the Senate.
:goodposting:

I'm kind of surprised because Moore is a big Trump supporter. And a complete #####.

I'm reading he waived that Jones act thing for Puerto Rico to get the help they need

"At @ricardorossello request, @POTUS has authorized the Jones Act be waived for Puerto Rico. It will go into effect immediately," White House press secretary Sarah Sanders tweeted Thursday morning.

Not only was this the right call, the positive effects of it are being felt immediately.  Already getting reports of transports like cruise ships making an extra stop at Puerto Rico to drop off relief supplies, then continuing on to their destinations.  Waiving the Jones Act for Puerto Rico is going to save lives. 

I'm reading he waived that Jones act thing for Puerto Rico to get the help they need

"At @ricardorossello request, @POTUS has authorized the Jones Act be waived for Puerto Rico. It will go into effect immediately," White House press secretary Sarah Sanders tweeted Thursday morning.
Where'd you read that, GB?  Was it three posts up from yours? ;)

Bruce Dickinson said:
Not only was this the right call, the positive effects of it are being felt immediately.  Already getting reports of transports like cruise ships making an extra stop at Puerto Rico to drop off relief supplies, then continuing on to their destinations.  Waiving the Jones Act for Puerto Rico is going to save lives. 
All these supplies are pouring in and there is no way to get around to get the supplies distributed.  They need all hands on deck to get the roads open, fuel in the trucks and drivers to get supplies where they need to go.

I love his handling of Tom Price so far. Even if he doesn't fire him, he's made it clear that he's not in support of his administration abusing the system in the manner  Price has. (in other areas, I'm not so sure) 

Maybe he was looking for a reason to can Price anyway, but I can't criticize Trump at all for his handling of this so far. Nice work imo 

The silver lining about death is that you don't have to pay taxes anymore.  Also, those things you were anxious about while alive don't bother you anymore.  You never have to put up with other folks stupidity.

There's a silver lining to being dead.  We should discuss them more often and give death a chance.  It's not all bad.

I love his handling of Tom Price so far. Even if he doesn't fire him, he's made it clear that he's not in support of his administration abusing the system in the manner  Price has. (in other areas, I'm not so sure) 

Maybe he was looking for a reason to can Price anyway, but I can't criticize Trump at all for his handling of this so far. Nice work imo 
Would be nice to see him object to the way Pence used taxpayer dollars for a political stunt, but perhaps he's only offended when it's someone else's idea.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump  27m27 minutes ago

Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened.

--

:thumbup:

I'm not sure how this is going to work legally but - 

Trump directs attorney general to create regulations to ban ‘bump stocks’

That's a good start. 
I give him no credit for doing this now.  This was literally the very least he should have done in the aftermath of Vegas.  Doing it now, is simply trying to score political points - since it has nothing to do with the current tragedy.

If he wants to do something, then he needs to lead the conversation.  He needs to pull in people from both sides, and figure out where do we compromise.  He needs to find those places where we have consensus and then act - while his party controls the House, the Senate, and the Presidency.  Then, I will graciously acknowledge that Trump has done something positive.

I give him no credit for doing this now.  This was literally the very least he should have done in the aftermath of Vegas.  Doing it now, is simply trying to score political points - since it has nothing to do with the current tragedy.

If he wants to do something, then he needs to lead the conversation.  He needs to pull in people from both sides, and figure out where do we compromise.  He needs to find those places where we have consensus and then act - while his party controls the House, the Senate, and the Presidency.  Then, I will graciously acknowledge that Trump has done something positive.
From what I understand, this process began after the Vegas shooting.  It's also something that the NRA doesn't oppose.

It's better than nothing, but IMO, this is a political move.  Trump can say "see, I'm trying to do something about gun control," but at the same time, not anger the NRA or his base.

I thought that is what every politician does..

Assuming the SK deal goes through, it should be on this list.  Yes, they increase the number of vehicles even though we never reach the current level (net effect of zero) but I guess my bar is lowered low enough at this point where it's a success when he doesn't #### the whole thing up.  I still don't understand limiting SK's import of steel though.  Our country cannot support our own supply demands and we are already near capacity.  This limit seems to be creating a vacuum, particularly on the west coast, but I admit I don't know the industry well, so I am willing to acknowledge that and give him the benefit of the doubt.

Assuming the SK deal goes through, it should be on this list.  Yes, they increase the number of vehicles even though we never reach the current level (net effect of zero) but I guess my bar is lowered low enough at this point where it's a success when he doesn't #### the whole thing up.  I still don't understand limiting SK's import of steel though.  Our country cannot support our own supply demands and we are already near capacity.  This limit seems to be creating a vacuum, particularly on the west coast, but I admit I don't know the industry well, so I am willing to acknowledge that and give him the benefit of the doubt.
Guess I was too eager :lmao:  

This guy hasn't done a positive move in months. I'd really like to see one. It's long overdue. China has now imposed tariffs on us. As a result of his asinine steel and aluminum tariffs. The debt just keeps on growing at astonishing rates as a result of his tax reform. You would think that he'd accidently make a positive move once in a while. Oh, and his cabinet turnover has exceeded 50%. Which is unprecedented.  I keep waiting for a 'Breaking News' alarm that the nightmare is finally over. It's frightening to thionk of the damage this tool could do to the country if left in office till 2020. 

He gets credit for everything that happens on his watch but this was a lay up
I don't think he gets nor deserves credit just because it's on his watch, but that's a huge factor to be fair.

Gotts give him credit for this... maybe it's because Kim sees a kindred spirit, maybe it was a result of Chinese influence to bring North and South together while playing the real heavy behind the scenes. 

But it happened. And unlike say the economy, what he did was not a direct result (and more dependent upon) the months and years leading up to Trumps time in office.

Gotta give him credit here.

Commuted Alice Marie Johnson's sentence. 

Excellent move. I hope he commutes more non-violent drug offenders' sentences. Or we may need to have to hire Kim Kardashian as a permanent lobbyist.

I do appreciate the "good will" inferred in the creation of this thread and in the spirit of the event, I will repeat that I am against tariffs...of any kind.  Let the goods in and if they sell, they sell....if our goods succeed overseas...they succeed.  If their goods sell here....we need to do better.

Both ways it should be the supply and demand (and price) on the products imported by either side.

I also do not like the way that Trump inferred that tariffs on Canada are based on "national security".  I do not believe that at all.

I do appreciate the "good will" inferred in the creation of this thread and in the spirit of the event, I will repeat that I am against tariffs...of any kind.  Let the goods in and if they sell, they sell....if our goods succeed overseas...they succeed.  Both ways it should be the supply and demand (and price) on the products imported by either side.

I also do not like the way that Trump inferred that tariffs on Canada are based on "national security".  I do not believe that at all.
Seems this belongs in the trade thread

Users who are viewing this thread