What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The silver lining - Trumps successes/good moves in the eyes of those who generally oppose his policies and approach (4 Viewers)

This might be setting the bar so low that it's damning with faint praise, but I genuinely mean it as a positive: When the travel ban was struck down by various courts, his administration complied with the judicial rulings during the appeals process rather than disobeying court orders.
Wow, that's such a low bar, but you have a point. 

Of course, the obvious counter-point is that he probably was told in secret he was wrong and this way he could just blame the courts and play the victim card. 

I think he deserves some praise for the video of him "loading a truck" by giving the goods to the driver in the cab, instead of putting them in the bed like a normal person who has seen a pickup truck before.

The nation was in dire need of some light-hearted comic relief and he bravely provided it.

Honest question:  Was there a similar thread created during the Obama administration by those here who abhorred him?  
Probably not, but who cares?  Being the bigger person means being the bigger person.  All the bickering isn't getting us anything - not every topic/issue has to be split down party lines.  I've said numerous times that thinking is partly to blame for us ending up with the current POTUS.

Honest question:  Was there a similar thread created during the Obama administration by those here who abhorred him?  
Several threads were used instead, and cropped up on a regular basis.  The Obamacare one is still going strong.

Examples:

Is Barack Obama a Marxist? (jon_mx)

Obama to Announce Uncostitutional [sic] Amnesty (Jim11)

Obamacare: Obama just straight up lied to you, in your face (tommyboy)

Obama Grants Haitians Illegally in U.S. 'Protected Status' (perry147)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure Perry was a hardcore liberal so not sure that example fits - although I'm not really sure any fit unless you were going for sarcasm.

Is that REALLY an honest question?

Probably not, but who cares?  Being the bigger person means being the bigger person.  All the bickering isn't getting us anything - not every topic/issue has to be split down party lines.  I've said numerous times that thinking is partly to blame for us ending up with the current POTUS.
While I assumed the answer was "No," a part of me hoped I was incorrect.  I applaud a thread like this which seeks to come out of one's political bunker.  A big issue in today's political climate is that neither side takes much time to consider things from the opposite point of view.  As a left-leaning independent, perhaps my bias had blinded me to attempts by those on the right to give Obama credit where credit was due.  Unfortunately, and as I see with many of my family and friends, Obama had been cast as the devil and therefore everything he did was perceived as wrong.  

I'm pretty stunned that Trump agreed to a clean debt limit increase and a short-term funding extension. And it's not just that he's siding with Dems, although I suppose one could give him credit for bipartisanship.  It's that his comments suggest he understand the importance of debt limit increases and that it's dumb to play politics with them:

We agreed to a three-month extension on debt ceiling, which they consider to be sacred — very important — always we’ll agree on debt ceiling automatically because of the importance of it.
He may sing a different tune tomorrow, but for now he's taking the right approach.  The whole idea of having a debt ceiling is dumb and increasing it should be automatic. Good for him for dispensing with the usual BS around it.

I'm pretty stunned that Trump agreed to a clean debt limit increase and a short-term funding extension. And it's not just that he's siding with Dems, although I suppose one could give him credit for bipartisanship.  It's that his comments suggest he understand the importance of debt limit increases and that it's dumb to play politics with them:

He may sing a different tune tomorrow, but for now he's taking the right approach.  The whole idea of having a debt ceiling is dumb and increasing it should be automatic. Good for him for dispensing with the usual BS around it.
:mellow:

Well, yes.

Yeah I got the joke.  I regret that I had but one like to give to it.
I know.  But it's also worth discussing, especially in this thread.  He's not a complete moron, he just has a very specific skill set.  Debt use and manipulation is definitely in it.

I thought Trump had a great day today.  

Letting himself be held accountable for his Harvey-related donations by publishing a list of recipients and dollar amounts is a big transparent move by his standards.  And in a vacuum, donating the money is generous.

Looks like we've got a Harvey relief package ready to go without a lot of filler.  Good thing with Irma up and throwing, and Jose stretching out.

And that debt ceiling negotiation with Schumer and Pelosi is shades of the person a lot of people thought they were voting for: willing to cross party lines and shake things up to get a deal done.

Fwiw, you must give credit on his overtures across the aisle.  Perhaps Republicans think otherwise, and the merits of the short term ceiling deal can be debated, but one of the few hopes many of us held out for Trump was that at root he is neither dem nor rep, and be it ego or narcissism or the want for love and aplomb - or whether there's a more genuine governance angle behind this - the efforts to work with the fine people on both sides of the aisle.

I'll add that there appears to have been progress at the VA at least in terms of administration? I may not know the details and I'm not sure if performance is improving but there does appear to be a serious effort at reform there.
my BIL worked for the VA for a loooong time... saw him a month ago and he was bemoaning the complete lack of administration- that there were a bunch of PMs without any directional guidance whatsoever. did something change in the last month?

Fwiw, you must give credit on his overtures across the aisle.  Perhaps Republicans think otherwise, and the merits of the short term ceiling deal can be debated, but one of the few hopes many of us held out for Trump was that at root he is neither dem nor rep, and be it ego or narcissism or the want for love and aplomb - or whether there's a more genuine governance angle behind this - the efforts to work with the fine people on both sides of the aisle.
Li'l Donnie Two Scoops was bored in the meeting and wanted it to be over. He found the fastest way to end discussion and move on to dinner. That's it. There was no 42D chess going on here. More like 52 Pickup.

Gorsuch was about the only thing that had been positive.  The signal coming from DeVos that due process is going to be restored on campus has the potential to be a major positive.

MikeIke said:
Li'l Donnie Two Scoops was bored in the meeting and wanted it to be over. He found the fastest way to end discussion and move on to dinner. That's it. There was no 42D chess going on here. More like 52 Pickup.

ETA : I quoted the wrong post, meant to use Koya's above this one.
Oh sure, deny me a notification why don't you!  :rant:

Oh, nm.

:coffee:  

I thought Trump had a great day today.  

Letting himself be held accountable for his Harvey-related donations by publishing a list of recipients and dollar amounts is a big transparent move by his standards.  And in a vacuum, donating the money is generous.

Looks like we've got a Harvey relief package ready to go without a lot of filler.  Good thing with Irma up and throwing, and Jose stretching out.

And that debt ceiling negotiation with Schumer and Pelosi is shades of the person a lot of people thought they were voting for: willing to cross party lines and shake things up to get a deal done.
:goodposting:

Slapdash said:
Soonerman said:
Gorsuch was about the only thing that had been positive.  The signal coming from DeVos that due process is going to be restored on campus has the potential to be a major positive.
Haven't read about this one, do you have a link?
Don't really get this....under the current law, if the schools follow it, everyone is covered as they should be.  The problem seems to be schools not following the law.  Somehow, that's a problem with the law.  I still haven't quite been able to figure this one out.  Nothing needs to be done other than hold the schools accountable for not following the law.  :loco:  

I haven't seen any idiotic tweets from Trump this week (if there were some then I missed them). If this is true I think its a good thing given the situation with Hurricane Irma and also Harvey.  

The Commish said:
Don't really get this....under the current law, if the schools follow it, everyone is covered as they should be.  The problem seems to be schools not following the law.  Somehow, that's a problem with the law.  I still haven't quite been able to figure this one out.  Nothing needs to be done other than hold the schools accountable for not following the law.  :loco:  
What law?

I think this is what Soonerman was talking about: http://reason.com/blog/2017/09/07/betsy-devos-rape-ocr-title-ix-campus

Background here: http://reason.com/blog/2017/04/04/six-years-ago-today-obamas-education-dep

my BIL worked for the VA for a loooong time... saw him a month ago and he was bemoaning the complete lack of administration- that there were a bunch of PMs without any directional guidance whatsoever. did something change in the last month?
I was just aware of the VA reform bill, which supposedly allows the Secretary to hold administrators more accountable.

- And I was under the impression the Secretary, Shulkin, had been a fairly good hire. 

As usual I'm open to being better informed, frankly it hasn't been discussed much. I was just trying to consider possible positive developments under the Trump administration.

That might be my favorite nickname for him yet.  Sounds like something Bill Burr would come up with.  

Users who are viewing this thread