What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Steelers probably can't afford another loss (1 Viewer)

The way the D is playing, does it even matter if they make the playoffs? It's been a LONG time since I've seen a Steeler D this bad.
They are awful, there is no doubt about that but I don't ruin the feeling of finally getting a W...
Of course it matters. This Steeler team, and especially the defense, reminds me of the Tommy Maddox team in 2002. That team had a lousy defense too, pulled out a miracle win against the Browns in the first round of the playoffs, then barely lost to Tennessee in the 2nd round. If they had won that 2nd round, who knows? The thing is, the Steelers can put points on the board. When you can do that, you never know what's going to happen. At least we're alive for another week, anyhow...

From what I understand the Steelers can actually control their own destiny in week 17 if they beat Baltimore next week and INDY, NE, MIA, & Philly win next week as well. A lot of IFs but it is nice to still have a pulse going into the Ravens game.
I posted this in another thread....From the looks of it, it's relatively simple for the Steelers to get in if they win their last 2 games against Baltimore and at Miami. I might be wrong, but I think this is correct.

I think they squeak in if they win out and:

Broncos lose once (at Eagles)

Jets lose once (at Colts)

Jaguars lose once (at Patriots or Browns)

Texans lose once (at Dolphins or Patriots)

I consider all of those to be likely results. The Steelers winning their last 2 games... not so likely. Makes no difference if the Titans win out because the Steelers beat them, and they'd have the tiebreaker over Denver for the same reason.

Assuming the Ravens are able to beat the Raiders in a must-win game, that would put the Steelers in a 4-way tie at 9-7 with head to head victories over two of them.
I don't think head to head factors in if there is a 4-way tie, unless all 4 teams have played one another.

I consider all of those to be likely results. The Steelers winning their last 2 games... not so likely.
Agreed. The secondary is so bad, Gay and Carter in particular, that winning 2 more is going to be tough. The offense is going to have score a lot of points...

From what I understand the Steelers can actually control their own destiny in week 17 if they beat Baltimore next week and INDY, NE, MIA, & Philly win next week as well. A lot of IFs but it is nice to still have a pulse going into the Ravens game.
I posted this in another thread....From the looks of it, it's relatively simple for the Steelers to get in if they win their last 2 games against Baltimore and at Miami. I might be wrong, but I think this is correct.

I consider all of those to be likely results. The Steelers winning their last 2 games... not so likely. Makes no difference if the Titans win out because the Steelers beat them, and they'd have the tiebreaker over Denver for the same reason.

Assuming the Ravens are able to beat the Raiders in a must-win game, that would put the Steelers in a 4-way tie at 9-7 with head to head victories over two of them.
I don't think head to head factors in if there is a 4-way tie, unless all 4 teams have played one another.
Wouldn't it only be a 3 way tie if Houston loses once since they'd be 8-8.Under this scenario, Denver, Baltimore and Pittsburgh would all be 9-7 with Jacksonville, Miami, Jets and Houston all being 8-8 or worse.

In a 3 way tiebreaker between Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Denver, I believe Baltimore gets the 5 seed and Pittsburgh gets the 6 seed since both of them beat Denver head to head.

They'd also need the Titans to lose once also (probably against SD on Thursday)

the scenarios are posted on the steelers.com website. they are copied below.

a lot of coach bashing around here and i am in agreement. let's get specific: 1) tomlin does not challenge the first todd heap TD. wife and i immediately saw the play as down at the 1-yard line. dan fouts commented that it's probably not worth challenging because Balt will get the ball at the 1 yard line. what?! you have a chance to take 6 points off the board and tomlin is gun-shy. my guess is that it is a communication breakdown. folks are talking about it and don't pull the trigger until the PAT is through. 2) do you think anybody has coached mendenhall NOT to spin? he has been doing it all year and it is just a matter of time until he fumbles. i blame the kid for the practice in week 1 or 2. i blame the coaches for letting it go on this long.

The Pittsburgh Steelers clinch a playoff spot:

1) PIT win + HOU loss or tie + NYJ loss or tie

2) PIT win + HOU loss or tie + BAL loss or tie

3) PIT win + NYJ loss or tie + BAL loss or tie + DEN loss or tie

the scenarios are posted on the steelers.com website. they are copied below.

a lot of coach bashing around here and i am in agreement. let's get specific: 1) tomlin does not challenge the first todd heap TD. wife and i immediately saw the play as down at the 1-yard line. dan fouts commented that it's probably not worth challenging because Balt will get the ball at the 1 yard line. what?! you have a chance to take 6 points off the board and tomlin is gun-shy. my guess is that it is a communication breakdown. folks are talking about it and don't pull the trigger until the PAT is through. 2) do you think anybody has coached mendenhall NOT to spin? he has been doing it all year and it is just a matter of time until he fumbles. i blame the kid for the practice in week 1 or 2. i blame the coaches for letting it go on this long.

The Pittsburgh Steelers clinch a playoff spot:

1) PIT win + HOU loss or tie + NYJ loss or tie

2) PIT win + HOU loss or tie + BAL loss or tie

3) PIT win + NYJ loss or tie + BAL loss or tie + DEN loss or tie
It's highly unlikely that they'll make it. Unlike last week, the Steelers didn't get a lot of help this week. Oh well.....they made their own bed with losses to KC, Oakland and Cleveland. If they don't make it in, they don't deserve it. If they make it, I do think they could beat either the Pats or Bungles with (or possibly even without) a healthy polamalu. Their road will then come to an abrupt end when Manning eats the secondary alive.

BusterTBronco said:
FBO give Pittsburgh a 12.8% chance of making the playoffs.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds
I wouldn't have even thought it'd be that high since the Jets will be playing to clinch a playoff spot and the Bengals will only have an incentive to win against the Jets if the Texans beat the Pats... but, if the Texans beat the Pats then the Steelers would need the Ravens to lose at Oakland to have a chance.They don't deserve to be a playoff team after losing to the Chiefs, Raiders, and Browns.

BusterTBronco said:
FBO give Pittsburgh a 12.8% chance of making the playoffs.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds
I wouldn't have even thought it'd be that high since the Jets will be playing to clinch a playoff spot and the Bengals will only have an incentive to win against the Jets if the Texans beat the Pats... but, if the Texans beat the Pats then the Steelers would need the Ravens to lose at Oakland to have a chance.They don't deserve to be a playoff team after losing to the Chiefs, Raiders, and Browns.
This is the NFL and crazy things happen every week. Eeven teams that want to rest their starters can't sit everyone -- you still only have a 45 man active roster -- someone has to play. Those that are playing aren't going to lay down and roll over -- they want to win.That said it does not look good for the Steelers. I could see one of the teams we need to lose fall but probably not more than that and let's not forget the Steelers still have to beat Miami which is certainly not a gimme.

As far as deserving goes if they win this week and get the breaks they need then they don't have to make any apologies for being in the playoffs...

I won't be surprised if the Jets and Ravens both don't win and get in. Seems easy, but crazy stuff always seems to happen. Remember '06 when the Chiefs needed about 817 things to go their way in week 17 to make it, they all did, and they made the playoffs? What about TB losing at home to Oakland last year in week 17, when a win would have put them in?

I am not even sure I think the Steelers will beat the Dolphins, but if they do, I could see things falling their way and them sliding in. You never know...

I won't be surprised if the Jets and Ravens both don't win and get in. Seems easy, but crazy stuff always seems to happen. Remember '06 when the Chiefs needed about 817 things to go their way in week 17 to make it, they all did, and they made the playoffs? What about TB losing at home to Oakland last year in week 17, when a win would have put them in? I am not even sure I think the Steelers will beat the Dolphins, but if they do, I could see things falling their way and them sliding in. You never know...
According to Yahoo, a Raiders or Bengals win combined with a Steelers and Pats win puts the Steelers in the playoffs. This is a very possible scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
IDrinkyourMilkshake said:
Ghost Rider said:
I won't be surprised if the Jets and Ravens both don't win and get in. Seems easy, but crazy stuff always seems to happen. Remember '06 when the Chiefs needed about 817 things to go their way in week 17 to make it, they all did, and they made the playoffs? What about TB losing at home to Oakland last year in week 17, when a win would have put them in? I am not even sure I think the Steelers will beat the Dolphins, but if they do, I could see things falling their way and them sliding in. You never know...
According to Yahoo, a Raiders or Bengals win combined with a Steelers and Pats win puts the Steelers in the playoffs. This is a very possible scenario.
Possible but not likely. Let's take a look:First of all the Steelers must win. Certainly they will be motivated and the offense is clicking but the defense has been shakey even during the 2 game winning streak. On paper a running team like Miami should be a good matchup for the Steelers but Ray Rice had success last week due in large part to missed tackles, something that has been a real problem over the 2nd half of the season. Further the Steelers did not seem to do very well against the wildcat when they played against the Browns a few weeks ago. I think the Steelers will win but the Dolphins are certainly capable of beating the Steelers. I'll be generous and give the Steelers a 60% chance of winning.Patriots @ HoustonThere is a good chance that Belichik will pull Moss, Welker and Brady in the first half if they play at all. The Patriots defense is decent but Houston should be able to put some points on the board. If the Patriots get behind I don't have a whole lot of confidence that Brian Hoyer and Julian Edelman are going to be able pull out a victory. At best I give the Pats a 30% chance of winning.Baltimore @ OaklandSure, Oakland has beaten a few quality opponents but Baltimore is going to eat JaMarcus Russell alive. About the best we can hope for here is that Baltimore suffers from a severe case of jet lag and theyshoot themselves in the foot with stupid penalties. I don't think Oakland has more than a 10% chance of beating a motivated Ravens team.Bengals @ JetsI don't believe that Marvin Lewis would purposely lose this game just to screw the Steelers. He will try to win but considering there is a very good chance the Benglas see the Jets in the first round of the playoffs he isn't going to show much on offense or defense. The Jets also have a physical defense so I don't expect Palmer, Ocho, or Benson to see a whole lot of PT. I give the Bengals maybe a 20% shot at winning mainly because I don't think the Jets are that good.Of course this is just my opinion. I will be rooting for the Steelers and two of the above to win but I doubt that it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Oakland has more than a 10% chance of beating a motivated Ravens team.
I will have to disagree here.Going to Oakland is a rough trip for a far east coast team. The Raiders would like nothing more then to repeat what they did to Tampa guring the final week last year.35%
I am sure they would like to win but Jamarcus Russell beating the Ravens seems like a long shot to me.

the Pats are going to dismantle Houston in the first half and then rest their starters as they hang on to a victory. in response, the bengals will have nothing to play for and will rest their team. so the steelers chances, should they defeat the dolphins, lies in the hope that the raiders will beat the ravens. with jamarcus russell at the helm, i think 10% is about right for that to happen. i'd feel much better with bruce gradkowski running the show.

sorry, folks, but the steelers did not earn themselves a playoff spot this year. biggest underperformers in recent memory.

I don't think Oakland has more than a 10% chance of beating a motivated Ravens team.
I will have to disagree here.Going to Oakland is a rough trip for a far east coast team.

The Raiders would like nothing more then to repeat what they did to Tampa guring the final week last year.

35%
I am sure they would like to win but Jamarcus Russell beating the Ravens seems like a long good shot to me.
Fixed ;) -QG

I will have to disagree here.Going to Oakland is a rough trip for a far east coast team. The Raiders would like nothing more then to repeat what they did to Tampa guring the final week last year.35%
I am sure they would like to win but Jamarcus Russell beating the Ravens seems like a long shot to me.
I thought I read that Charlie Frye is starting for the Raiders this week again. Not that Frye is Brees II, but he is better than Russell.

I thought I read that Charlie Frye is starting for the Raiders this week again. Not that Frye is Brees II, but he is better than Russell.
HAYDEN Fry is a better QB than Russell :) -QG

Users who are viewing this thread