What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Steelers RB addition for 2006 (1 Viewer)

Steelers4Life

Footballguy
-- Big-Back Alert: Sources in Atlanta say the Falcons will listen to trade offers for double-wide running back T.J. Duckett. The 6-foot, 250-pound Duckett played poorly this season. He rushed for just 43 yards on 38 carries in the final five games.I love what Willie Parker brings to the table, and I think he's best utilitzed with 12-15 total touches per game. I've also said that I expect the Steelers to make a big splash for a good young RB this offseason via a trade or the draft, and it doesn't seem like that immediate impact guy is going to be available late in the 1st round. Lendale White is going to be long gone before then.Assuming the Steelers plan to keep Parker with a decent role, trading for Duckett to replace Bettis seems like an almost perfect fit. If the Falcons are really willing to deal him, I can see the Steelers making a play for him like they did for Bettis over a decade ago.

:thumbup: Makes sense to me, and now is the time to get him. I'm not sure what it would take though, the Dunn/Duckett combo was great before and I considered Duckett the future, maybe not now. Would it take more than a 3rd?

I think this came up last offseason IIRC. I own Dunn, Duckett, and Parker in one league. Ideally I'd like to see Dunn move and Duckett become the full-time back in Atlanta, but I doubt that will happen...

We've bandied for some time around these parts about Duckett being a good fit in Pittsburgh. Probably a win/win situation for both him and the team.

Steelers fans who think that Duckett is the second coming of Bettis just haven't watched him play lately.Every time the Falcons turned to TJ to pick up short yardage in a big spot, he came up short. And many of those times, he was slow to hit the hole and running tentatively.He's not nearly as punishing as Bettis.

I've got no idea what it would take, but I'd guess the price will be reasonable enough that it'd make sense given the Steelers' need at RB. Bettis is likely gone and I don't think Duce will be back next year, either.The situation is even somewhat similar to Bettis.An oversized young RB who showed flashes of talent before fading a little bit and ending up in the doghouse. Probably in the wrong system for his talent. Bettis was drafted 10th overall, I think Duckett was drafted 16th. The Steelers swooped in, dropped from the late 2nd round to the mid 3rd round and gave up a 4th round pick for him, and 10 years later Bettis is almost a lock for the Hall of Fame. (No, I don't want to get into that in this thread!)If he's available, it's almost a certainty that the Steelers would at least look into it.

Duckett to Pitt rumors for now the 3rd straight year.
I guess the only difference might be in the past Duckett wasn't rumored to be on the block. IIRC the Falcons never really wanted to move him.If this report is true, that's changed.

I guess the only difference might be in the past Duckett wasn't rumored to be on the block. IIRC the Falcons never really wanted to move him.If this report is true, that's changed.
I wonder what the Falcons then plan to do to replace him. Dunn's getting up there and I'm sure they'd like another back for pounding the ball.

I wonder what the Falcons then plan to do to replace him. Dunn's getting up there and I'm sure they'd like another back for pounding the ball.
I think those types of backs can be found in the draft. And this time they wouldn't have to waste a 1st rounder on a glorified backup/smashmouth runner.

Duckett should have been traded a year or two ago. His value, I think at least, took a bit of a hit this season.Of course, if the Falcons trade off Duckett, poor Dunn will get injured, and the Falcons will be screwed... :hophead:

I think those types of backs can be found in the draft. And this time they wouldn't have to waste a 1st rounder on a glorified backup/smashmouth runner.
Was Bettis a glorified backup/smashmouth runner in 1994 and 1995 on the Rams?Bettis had back to back seasons in 1994 and 1995 where he had 1,025 and 637 yards while averaging only 3.2 and 3.5 yards per carry.

In 1996, he was traded to Pittsburgh and began a 6 year stretch averaging 1,297 yards per season averaging 4.1 yards per carry. All of that was done without much of a passing game. He missed no more than 1 game per year until 2001, when he missed 5.

A smashmouth runner in the Steelers' offense is better than a smashmouth runner in the Falcons offense.

I was wondering if anyone would think of this!

We can give them Duce! :P

I mentioned this in another thread. I doubt anyone, let alone the Steelers, would trade for TJ Duckett. The market is full of better FA RBs that could be gotten without giving something up. If Atlanta could find a good replacement for TJ in the draft or FA market, then why can't PITT do the same without giving something up?

I mentioned this in another thread. I doubt anyone, let alone the Steelers, would trade for TJ Duckett. The market is full of better FA RBs that could be gotten without giving something up. If Atlanta could find a good replacement for TJ in the draft or FA market, then why can't PITT do the same without giving something up?
Considering salary too? Who is a better FA that's out there?I think he would be a great fit. These rumors were swirling around 2 years ago when the Falcons Obviously needed a WR -- there were Duckett/Plaxico trade whispers. I thought that deal made sense for both teams.

Considering salary too? Who is a better FA that's out there?I think he would be a great fit. These rumors were swirling around 2 years ago when the Falcons Obviously needed a WR -- there were Duckett/Plaxico trade whispers. I thought that deal made sense for both teams.
Jamal LewisChester Taylor

Ahman Green

Shaun Alexander

Edgerrin James

Deshaun Foster

Michael Bennett

Najeh Davenport

Chad Morton

Jonathan Wells

Lamar Gordon

Maurice Morris

Tony Fisher

Verron Haynes

You can scratch off from Bennett down, because I think Duckett is better than any of them.

Alexander and James will cost way too much, and Foster is likely to sign with Carolina again - not that he'd be a great fit to compliment Parker anyways.

Green isn't worth it.

That leaves Taylor and Lewis, at least one of whom will likely stay in Baltimore. The other will be one of the more sought after free agent RBs out there unless they both stay.

Duckett is signed through 2007 with salaries in the $600-$700,000 range.

How about Greg Jones? IMO, he would come cheaper than Duckett.
Have you heard any rumors about Greg Jones being available? I haven't.IF THESE RUMORS ARE TRUE, I don't think Duckett's price tag will be ridiculously high.

Really puts a floor on DeAngelo Williams draft position.I don't think there's any way Williams would fall past Atlanta.

Ahman Green

Shaun Alexander

Edgerrin James

Deshaun Foster

Michael Bennett

Najeh Davenport

Chad Morton

Jonathan Wells

Lamar Gordon

Maurice Morris

Tony Fisher

Verron Haynes

You can scratch off from Bennett down, because I think Duckett is better than any of them.

Alexander and James will cost way too much, and Foster is likely to sign with Carolina again - not that he'd be a great fit to compliment Parker anyways.

Green isn't worth it.

That leaves Taylor and Lewis, at least one of whom will likely stay in Baltimore. The other will be one of the more sought after free agent RBs out there unless they both stay.

I may not have been clear with my question, I meant, considering what ATL would likely want, and considering how much that RB is going to get paid, who's else is available with a better talent/cost ratio than Duckett? Looking at your list, I think the only one on there is Chester Taylor. Maybe Dukie Davenport if someone believes he could be durable for a year.

Ahman Green

Shaun Alexander

Edgerrin James

Deshaun Foster

Michael Bennett

Najeh Davenport

Chad Morton

Jonathan Wells

Lamar Gordon

Maurice Morris

Tony Fisher

Verron Haynes

Green isn't worth it.

I may not have been clear with my question, I meant, considering what ATL would likely want, and considering how much that RB is going to get paid, who's else is available with a better talent/cost ratio than Duckett? Looking at your list, I think the only one on there is Chester Taylor. Maybe Dukie Davenport if someone believes he could be durable for a year.
Nobody else will be available with the talent/cost ratio of Duckett, at least in my opinion.

The Steelers are going to re-sign Verron Haynes. He has proven himself to be a very good 3rd down back and special teams player. Unless Duce agrees to take a substantial cut in salary, he will be gone (he may be gone anyway). If the Steelers can get Duckett at a reasonable price they might go that route. Otherwise, they'll take a RB in the draft, probably in the 3rd or 4th round.

Why would anyone trade for Duckett when you can probably get someone just as good in the draft?
That's not necessarily true. Unless Deanglo Williams or Lendale White falls to the Steelers (unlikely), I don't see a guy who the Steelers will get early with the promise of Duckett.Not to mention that if the price is a 3rd or 4th rounder, I don't see much of a chance of the Steelers getting that much of an impact RB in those rounds this year. Better to use the higher picks on other positions and trade a mid-rounder to get Duckett if it's possible.

If the price is right, this seems like a good move. On the list above, Davenport and Wells are other possibilities but I think Davenport's durability issues nix him. Lewis would be interesting but character issues rule him completely out. Wells is an interesting prospect, though - if Houston follows through with Bush there probably won't be any room left for him there so he might be available at a very reasonable rate. Looks like he might be a decent receiver, too -- 22 catches this year in limited time.

If the price is right, this seems like a good move. On the list above, Davenport and Wells are other possibilities but I think Davenport's durability issues nix him. Lewis would be interesting but character issues rule him completely out. Wells is an interesting prospect, though - if Houston follows through with Bush there probably won't be any room left for him there so he might be available at a very reasonable rate. Looks like he might be a decent receiver, too -- 22 catches this year in limited time.
Good call on Jon Wells, he's played well when given the opportunity in HOU. With DD and Bush he's not likely to return.

Yeah I forgot about Wells. He'd be a nice fit as well. 245-ish pounds (without looking, I may be off) and a very hard runner. He may be available for even less than Duckett if the Texans do go the Bush route.

Good call on Jon Wells, he's played well when given the opportunity in HOU. With DD and Bush he's not likely to return.
I'm hoping DD would go somewhere else if they draft Bush, and they'd keep Wells as the back-up :davisowner:

I think Haynes did alright in the limited role he has been given this year. If he is re-signed (which is likely), his role should get expanded.Don't count him out too quick. Staley, on the other hand, better be dialin' REMAX & get that house on the market.

Really puts a floor on DeAngelo Williams draft position.I don't think there's any way Williams would fall past Atlanta.
DOUBLE DeAngelo!?!?

Duce will be signing with ....The Philadelphia Eagles.I know it sounds nuts, but so did Trotter going back. So did Douglas going back. Right now, he'd be their best between the tackles guy, can catch, & knows the system.I do think the Steelers resign Haynes.

One interesting take on the whole DeAngelo Williams thing -- I don't think he falls far enough down the board for the Steelers to grab him, but there's a little history there. If you remember a few years ago, Dante Brown of Memphis *was* Willie Parker before Willie Parker arrived in Pittsburgh. He was an undrafted FA out of a lightly-regarded football school who opened some eyes in training camp in 2003 - Brown's future looked bright. But Dante had a serious chip on his shoulder and was quite vocal about how he was unable to showcase his talents as a senior because had to split time with some incoming freshman by the name of DeAngelo Williams.So the Steelers have had distant early warning on Williams since at least 2003, probably a year or so before he appeared on the national radar. It probably won't make any difference as he will probably be gone long before the Steelers pick, but it's one of those things that makes me go "Hmmmm. . . ." :popcorn:

The Steelers are going to re-sign Verron Haynes. He has proven himself to be a very good 3rd down back and special teams player.

Unless Duce agrees to take a substantial cut in salary, he will be gone (he may be gone anyway). If the Steelers can get Duckett at a reasonable price they might go that route. Otherwise, they'll take a RB in the draft, probably in the 3rd or 4th round.
I agree they don't necessarily need Duckett especially for the price he'll likely go for. Go cheap in the draft.

The Steelers coaching staff really likes Parker. They believe that Parker is still very much a work-in-progress and that he's only going to get better. For that reason if they sign Haynes I think they will be happy to wait until the middle rounds to get a RB. The Steelers have other needs and they aren't going to want to invest a #1 pick in a big bruising back.That's my 2 cents, anyway.

The Steelers coaching staff really likes Parker.  They believe that Parker is still very much a work-in-progress and that he's only going to get better. 

For that reason if they sign Haynes I think they will be happy to wait until the middle rounds to get a RB.  The Steelers have other needs and they aren't going to want to invest a #1 pick in a big bruising back.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.
OK... I agree that Parker will be around and they like Haynes in the 3rd down role. Nothing I've seen or heard would make me believe they see Haynes as anything more than he is now.If they're going to burn a mid-round pick on a big bruising back and Duckett's price tag is likely to be a 3rd rounder or so (maybe a 4th) if he's really on the block, wouldn't it make sense to just trade the pick for Duckett? Duckett was drafted in the middle of the first round and has more talent than any RB they'll get in the middle rounds of the draft.

They got Bettis and a 3rd rounder for their late 2nd and 4th rounders. A deal like that would make more sense to me than taking a different mid-round RB.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Steelers coaching staff really likes Parker.  They believe that Parker is still very much a work-in-progress and that he's only going to get better. 

For that reason if they sign Haynes I think they will be happy to wait until the middle rounds to get a RB.  The Steelers have other needs and they aren't going to want to invest a #1 pick in a big bruising back.

OK... I agree that Parker will be around and they like Haynes in the 3rd down role. Nothing I've seen or heard would make me believe they see Haynes as anything more than he is now.If they're going to burn a mid-round pick on a big bruising back and Duckett's price tag is likely to be a 3rd rounder or so (maybe a 4th) if he's really on the block, wouldn't it make sense to just trade the pick for Duckett? Duckett was drafted in the middle of the first round and has more talent than any RB they'll get in the middle rounds of the draft.

The got Bettis and a 3rd rounder for their late 2nd and 4th rounders. A deal like that would make more sense to me than taking a different mid-round RB.
I think Duckett is definitely worth a #4 -- I'm not so sure about a #3. The real question will be his salary. I have no idea what his cap hit would be but the Steelers need to re-sign some players. I think they must sign Hope, Haynes, probably Batch (or another backup QB cause Maddox is going to be cut), Kimo and either Randel El, Morgan or another veteran WR. They might also want to sign Ike Taylor to an extension since he's an RFA season and would be unrestricted after the 2006 season.

The got Bettis and a 3rd rounder for their late 2nd and 4th rounders. A deal like that would make more sense to me than taking a different mid-round RB.
I think Duckett is definitely worth a #4 -- I'm not so sure about a #3. The real question will be his salary. I have no idea what his cap hit would be but the Steelers need to re-sign some players. I think they must sign Hope, Haynes, probably Batch (or another backup QB cause Maddox is going to be cut), Kimo and either Randel El, Morgan or another veteran WR. They might also want to sign Ike Taylor to an extension since he's an RFA season and would be unrestricted after the 2006 season.
I agree with that for the most part. I don't know if the Steelers would give up a 3rd for him, but a 4th would be worth it. His salaries are under $700,000 each of the next 2 years, and his contract expires after the 2007 season.I agree on the need to re-sign all of them except Kimo. If Randle El comes cheaply, fine, but I don't want them to head into next year with him as the #2 WR again. Kimo will be 35 next year and I'm not so sure he won't be replaced. Ike has definitely established himself as a priority to lock up for a while.

I agree with that for the most part. I don't know if the Steelers would give up a 3rd for him, but a 4th would be worth it. His salaries are under $700,000 each of the next 2 years, and his contract expires after the 2007 season.I agree on the need to re-sign all of them except Kimo. If Randle El comes cheaply, fine, but I don't want them to head into next year with him as the #2 WR again. Kimo will be 35 next year and I'm not so sure he won't be replaced. Ike has definitely established himself as a priority to lock up for a while.
I think Kimo will be re-signed because he'll come cheaply and would provide depth, assuming Kirscke, Keisel or someone else (draft pick?) takes the starting job.I agree about Randel El. He's a good PR and #3 WR but he's no #2 WR. But the Steelers are going to have to sign another veteran receiver to go along with the WR they are most likely going to draft in the top three rounds. I would be comfortable with Quincy Morgan in that role.

Unless it s TJ for a pick straight up, I don't see this happening. I cant see the Steelers giving a pick and a player for Duckett. Atlanta won't ake just anybody, and anybody the Steelers give up would have to be replaced. Add this too the cost of the trade.On a side note, whats the status of A-Train?

Ahman Green

Shaun Alexander

Edgerrin James

Deshaun Foster

Michael Bennett

Najeh Davenport

Chad Morton

Jonathan Wells

Lamar Gordon

Maurice Morris

Tony Fisher

Verron Haynes

Green isn't worth it.

Nobody else will be available with the talent/cost ratio of Duckett, at least in my opinion.
Also I highly doubt the Ravens do a trade with a division rival.

What's all the T.J. talk? I haven't heard anything very positive to say about him from any Atlanta fans. Why would Pitt want something Atlanta chooses to discard if they've got such a good deal on him ($700K). Thanks, keep him. Davenport sounds good. Aaagghhh. Won't stay healthy. Hey, I like the Jamal thought. Everyone knew the dude wasn't going to be full speed this year coming off an inadequate rehab on an injury that is supposed to take about a full year to heal anyways. He may represent the most value in free agency unless Pooper isn't as injury prone as he appears. And why not White in the draft. Come April, more attention is paid to the combine than the Rose Bowl. Expect White to put up a 4.53 while you have Bush at about a 4.30, Maroney a 4.35, Drew in the sub-4.4s, DeAngelo in the mid 4.4s. Remember Maroney and Williams being talked about in the same class as Bush in preseason. Bush separated himself from the others but they are still (mid to late) 1st round quality this year. This years draft will see the RBs pushed down a little for a couple reasons. 1). the quality of 2nd and 3rd round backs is pretty impressive. 2). the 1st round quality of the D and O lines, LBs and the two QBs. Several 1st round DBs and there you have it. Wasn't K.Jones supposedly the best back w/ all the hype two years ago. Him a S.Jackson. J.J. went in the 2nd. Anybody remember this? So, with so much quality at the other positions, a glut of 2nd teir RBs, why can't White last to the 20s? And that is my 1st choice. Duckett can gain 15 lbs and try to be a goal-line TE as far as I'm concerned.

As for El, he'll only be back if he truly loves it on this team, 'cause they won't pay him what HE THINKS he's worth. And that is why they brought in C.Wilson last year. For those that think he didn't look too good this year, how often DO WRs look good on a new team... and how much better do they look on that new team the 2nd year? Either one could be a starter AND a returner. I do like the emergency QB option w/ El, and the sandlot plays. Another 3rd/4th WR in the draft hoping to catch a gem (seems like they try and fail every year).

Why would anyone trade for Duckett when you can probably get someone just as good in the draft?
That's not necessarily true. Unless Deanglo Williams or Lendale White falls to the Steelers (unlikely), I don't see a guy who the Steelers will get early with the promise of Duckett.Not to mention that if the price is a 3rd or 4th rounder, I don't see much of a chance of the Steelers getting that much of an impact RB in those rounds this year. Better to use the higher picks on other positions and trade a mid-rounder to get Duckett if it's possible.
It could just be that i'm still a Duckett-fan, but you and I see eye to eye on this situation. He is not washed up, he is a bad fit in Atlanta, but in Pittsburgh (or Denver) he'd be a great fit. Maybe not Bettis Jr. but similar.

As for El, he'll only be back if he truly loves it on this team, 'cause they won't pay him what HE THINKS he's worth...
Really? What does "he think he's worth", and what does the brass think he's worth?There's few players in the league with his specific skill set and Cowher uses him well.

As for El, he'll only be back if he truly loves it on this team, 'cause they won't pay him what HE THINKS he's worth...
Really? What does "he think he's worth", and what does the brass think he's worth?There's few players in the league with his specific skill set and Cowher uses him well.
The Steelers are right there with the Eagles and Pats for being the most fiscally disciplined teams in the league. They know ARE is a PR/WR2a at best, and not a starting WR. If another team wants to pay him like a starter, he will not be in pittsburgh next year.

I'm not sure. I haven't talked to him lately.It means what it says. If El wants to stay, Pitt would love to keep him. If he thinks he's worth #1 WR $, go try to find it and best of luck to you.

E.Holmes, C.Brown, L.Kirkland, K.Bell, C.Lake, P.Burress (looking decent), A.Zeroue, R.Woodson (the only truly great one on this list), C.Johnson, A.Hastings...

Shall I keep going? How'd these stars (Woodson aside who switched to S anyways) do after stepping out of the Pitt system. You want to win and get paid very good $ to do what you love, stay. You want to be filthy rich, we'll shake your hand, tell you thanks for everything you've done for us, and wish you good luck. Only big resign Pitts ever made was Hines, and that was like pulling teeth. The only reason that got done is 'cause a sea of black and gold would have marched on Heinz Field had it not gotten done.

I'm not sure. I haven't talked to him lately.It means what it says. If El wants to stay, Pitt would love to keep him. If he thinks he's worth #1 WR $, go try to find it and best of luck to you.

E.Holmes, C.Brown, L.Kirkland, K.Bell, C.Lake, P.Burress (looking decent), A.Zeroue, R.Woodson (the only truly great one on this list), C.Johnson, A.Hastings...

Shall I keep going? How'd these stars (Woodson aside who switched to S anyways) do after stepping out of the Pitt system. You want to win and get paid very good $ to do what you love, stay. You want to be filthy rich, we'll shake your hand, tell you thanks for everything you've done for us, and wish you good luck. Only big resign Pitts ever made was Hines, and that was like pulling teeth. The only reason that got done is 'cause a sea of black and gold would have marched on Heinz Field had it not gotten done.
I'm not disagreeing that they're frugal, but "they won't pay him what HE THINKS he's worth..." indicates that you think you know what he thinks. ARE is one of those players whose value is not just tied to being a #2 WR. He can line up everywhere on the field. I haven't seen that he wants out or is demanding a large contract, so I have no reason to think he won't return.

Ahman Green

Shaun Alexander

Edgerrin James

Deshaun Foster

Michael Bennett

Najeh Davenport

Chad Morton

Jonathan Wells

Lamar Gordon

Maurice Morris

Tony Fisher

Verron Haynes

Green isn't worth it.

Also I highly doubt the Ravens do a trade with a division rival.
Both Taylor and Lewis are free agents so no trade is needed unless they franchise one. Duckett is not a very good rb. Yeah he's big and fast in a straight line for his size, but he has no instincts, runs soft, and hits holes very slow.

Users who are viewing this thread