What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Tree Saga (1 Viewer)

After further review, I'm betting that it's the cost and the pride of not excepting money from the handsome neighbor who's farts smell like fish oil.

What does my demand letter with nasty legal stuff say?  "You better, else I reckon I'mma gonna lawyer you up but good!"?
Aren't problems like this why firms like yours hire summer interns, so that partners are not distracted and can devote their time to important matters?  Tell one of your interns that in addition to the duties described to them that they will have the rare opportunity to pursue a matter on their own.  They will be judged by their ingenuity and initiative. 

Aren't problems like this why firms like yours hire summer interns, so that partners are not distracted and can devote their time to important matters?  Tell one of your interns that in addition to the duties described to them that they will have the rare opportunity to pursue a matter on their own.  They will be judged by their ingenuity and initiative. 
Wait, so I can get a job? I'm still looking and I graduate in three weeks :P  

Why not take this as an opportunity to audition for a job.  Instead of sending out resumes show what you are made of.  You know the problem, you have information generally about the location, find the home, find the tree, get it out of there.  Your initiative may get you noticed.* 

* This is no offer or promise of employment.  DW does not speak for Otis and has no authority to bind** Otis in any way.

**Get your minds out of the gutter.

What does my demand letter with nasty legal stuff say?  "You better, else I reckon I'mma gonna lawyer you up but good!"?
I dunno, toss out some statutes, indicate any potential causes of action, cite the attorney's fees statute (which probably doesn't do anything for you, but whatever).  You know, nasty legal stuff. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:  

I remember the time I was a 3L and my school had some program where, if somebody got an interview lined with an impressive firm, my school would pay travel expenses and hotel.  So I hit up Otis to try to see if I could line up a "free" trip to NY for like a weekend thinking it'd be good FFA shtick. He was very generous and offered to hook me up with drinks and stuff but very diplomatically indicated that with my credentials he couldn't even set up a faux interview. :bag:

I remember the time I was a 3L and my school had some program where, if somebody got an interview lined with an impressive firm, my school would pay travel expenses and hotel.  So I hit up Otis to try to see if I could line up a "free" trip to NY for like a weekend thinking it'd be good FFA shtick. He was very generous and offered to hook me up with drinks and stuff but very diplomatically indicated that with my credentials he couldn't even set up a faux interview. :bag:
I bet I am credentialed enough to be his gardener.  As for working in his firm, not so much.  I am not even sure I could get past security in the lobby at his place posing as a potential client.

What the hell prairie are you living on that your neighbors are repeatedly cutting down trees on your property and you're unaware?
she did it while we were away at work

tree #1 was maybe 4/5 feet tall and skinny. she sawed that ####### thing off at ground level.  

tree #2 was a bit thicker but not something a kid couldn't have chopped down with enough time. 

Otis, just a ballpark here - but hiring someone to remove that will easily be a few grand.  I had a tree removed recently from my yard - a variety of willow, which I had half removed myself but didn't feel like climbing a tree with a chainsaw.  Cost was $800 and they never had to climb more than 10 or so feet off the ground - and were done in a few hours. 

Otis said:
tldr: Hideous, dangerous, dead tree in adjacent yard; neighbor uncooperative; seeking advice/shtick to help resolve.

When we look out the window to our backyard, or when we sit in the sun on a warm spring day and look up at a deep blue sky, we see this tree.
Goes nicely with the power lines, no?

That tree out to be quite a nice environment for bugs and termites or carpenter ants.  also a nice attractant for woodpeckers once fully infested. 

You've never seen her and she doesn't respond to reasonable and polite communication.  Are you sure someone is living there?  Maybe she's ded. :shrug:

Do any of your neighbors that you've bothered to meet actually know her?  

Zow said:
Shtick answer: Ugh. 

Serious answer: You're a lawyer.  Demand letter with nasty legal stuff. 
This is possibly the worst response possible.  Typical solution from a pea brained lawyer.

Chop down some smaller saplings and put their trunks on a stake as a warning to the dead tree.

Actually, after thinking it over.

You should plant a bigger tree in your yard to hide that one.  WIN WIN

You never told me that backstory.  I could easily have sat down with you for an "interview" in my office.

Otis, just a ballpark here - but hiring someone to remove that will easily be a few grand.  I had a tree removed recently from my yard - a variety of willow, which I had half removed myself but didn't feel like climbing a tree with a chainsaw.  Cost was $800 and they never had to climb more than 10 or so feet off the ground - and were done in a few hours. 
I have no doubt.

My grandpa used to burn trees down from the top to the bottom, if you want to try that. He liked to drink though, a  lot.

You've never seen her and she doesn't respond to reasonable and polite communication.  Are you sure someone is living there?  Maybe she's ded. :shrug:

Do any of your neighbors that you've bothered to meet actually know her?  
None of the other neighbors are close with her.  It's been years since they've spoken to her.  But remember, these are my neighbors on my street -- she's around the block on a different street, so I never see her or her neighbors.

Drop some termites at the base of her tree one night.  Problem will be taken care of one way or another in no time.

I have no doubt.
Yeah. I have a wooded lot to the side and behind me.  The are behind me is TWp owned. The side is actually owned by the neigbor on the other street.

Similar story, I wrote letter about a tree over my yard, etc etc.  I offered to pay for it.  She said no problem.  Got a quote it was like 1500

Tree is still there lol

None of the other neighbors are close with her.  It's been years since they've spoken to her.  But remember, these are my neighbors on my street -- she's around the block on a different street, so I never see her or her neighbors.
Come on.  You're putting up roadblocks.  Your properties abut.  Surely you can find someone with one or two degrees of separation to introduce you.  SHE'S YOUR NEIGHBOR!

You know the right way to handle this is with a little honey rather than vinegar.  If the honey approach doesn't work, then move to something else but you've you've only made a half assed effort so far.

I've always wanted to shoot an arrow that was on fire at something.  I think you should do that.

Come on.  You're putting up roadblocks.  Your properties abut.  Surely you can find someone with one or two degrees of separation to introduce you.  SHE'S YOUR NEIGHBOR!

You know the right way to handle this is with a little honey rather than vinegar.  If the honey approach doesn't work, then move to something else but you've you've only made a half assed effort so far.
WTF are you talking about?  He went to her house and left messages.  What else should he do?  Kick down her door?

Serious answer... just cut the limb or portion of the limb that hangs over your fence.  How high off the ground is it? Long enough to take care of yourself with a pole-saw attachment? Hell if it's rotten enough, you may be able to throw a rope over it and just pull it down. Only potential problem I can think of is: do you have to notify them before/after you do said cutting of their tree that's on your property line or is it an arborous free-for-all?

WTF are you talking about?  He went to her house and left messages.  What else should he do?  Kick down her door?
As I said above, the best route would be to get an introduction to her.  She's an old lady.  She probably threw away his notes with her junk mail.  He needs to talk to her--if she's unreasonable then proceed accordingly.  It demonstrates exceptionally bad judgement to threaten a neighbor without ever having talked to them or without having any kind of negative interaction with them.  

As I said above, the best route would be to get an introduction to her.  She's an old lady.  She probably threw away his notes with her junk mail.  He needs to talk to her--if she's unreasonable then proceed accordingly.  It demonstrates exceptionally bad judgement to threaten a neighbor without ever having talked to them or without having any kind of negative interaction with them.  
What is this, 1825?  

I have no doubt.
Looking again at that tree (specifically the branches on the right) and that there seems to be powerlines and a hedge (and likely other stuff directly below it) whoever is going to be taking it out would need a bucket truck and to "rope" each piece as they take it.  Could be a multiday job, and could approach 5 figures.

You never told me that backstory.  I could easily have sat down with you for an "interview" in my office.
I thought I told most of it.  However, I'm also recalling that my school needed some sort official looking confirmation from you (presumably with letterhead and undoubtedly my school would have probably hounded you afterwards for more interviews) and you wisely turned that down. 

This is possibly the worst response possible.  Typical solution from a pea brained lawyer.
I would think the worst response possible would be to shoot her and her family, but what do I know, I didn't even consider request an introduction.

I would think the worst response possible would be to shoot her and her family, but what do I know, I didn't even consider request an introduction.
You're trying to defend yourself after you suggested Otis threaten legal action against a little old lady he's never talked to who also happens to be his neighbor?  Terrible judgement call.

Well, she wasn't home when I stopped by on Saturday morning and she didn't respond to my note so I guess my best option is to threaten to sue her.  Read that slowly and tell me it doesn't make you cringe when you think to yourself that you actually suggested that course of action.

Looking again at that tree (specifically the branches on the right) and that there seems to be powerlines and a hedge (and likely other stuff directly below it) whoever is going to be taking it out would need a bucket truck and to "rope" each piece as they take it.  Could be a multiday job, and could approach 5 figures.   6 figures
FYP, this is Otis we're talking about, he's the negotiator.

When you finally do get to speak with the neighbor lady, consider throwing in some money for a replacement tree if she'll take that one down.  

Your greatest chance of getting what you want is to come to a friendly agreement with this neighbor.

Even if you are successful with convincing the utility company to remove the tree, she may be able to thwart that plan by having them only remove the offending branches. 

They left one note.  What's the issue with having the wife go over, a few times if necessary, introduce herself and the kids, and actually talk to the witch?  At least that way Oats would know where the old bag stood on the tree issue.

And keep Oats and his giant mitts out of it as much as possible.

They left one note.  What's the issue with having the wife go over, a few times if necessary, introduce herself and the kids, and actually talk to the witch?  At least that way Oats would know where the old bag stood on the tree issue.

And keep Oats and his giant mitts out of it as much as possible.
How many notes should he leave? 

You're trying to defend yourself after you suggested Otis threaten legal action against a little old lady he's never talked to who also happens to be his neighbor?  Terrible judgement call.

Well, she wasn't home when I stopped by on Saturday morning and she didn't respond to my note so I guess my best option is to threaten to sue her.  Read that slowly and tell me it doesn't make you cringe when you think to yourself that you actually suggested that course of action.
It doesn't make me cringe.  But from what I read Otis has left notes, his wife has gone over there several times, he's had professionals tell him the tree is dangerous, and his neighbors have indicated that they've made prior complaints and she doesn't respond.  Additionally, a "threatening" letter doesn't need to be written overly harshly or jerkishly.  Generally, the goal here is to kindly say "here's what nice and reasonable thing I'm willing to do, but here's how serious and bad it could get, but look at how nice and reasonable I am because I want to go this nice route."  He can kindly and softly get his point across yet still instill some call to action with the lawyer thing.  I think it's clear this tree poses some sort of moderate to imminent thread to his family's safety so something needs to be done.  At least sending her a letter gives some sort of warning before he starts lopping branches off.  Sure, he could try having his wife stop by again but at some point an introduction isn't happening.  

Oh, and it's "judgment." 

What is this, 1825?  
As I understand such matters one has their card or letter of introduction ready when approaching the door.  When the servant answers the door you announce your name clearly, announce your desire for a meeting at the convenience of the person unexpectedly called upon, and then extend your card or letter.  The servant will extend a silver salver on which you place the card, and with a tip of your hat, you leave briskly with no further conversation. 

Users who are viewing this thread