What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last! (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were Putin and IF you had compromat on Trump. Money laundering  etc if not necesarilly the Peepee tape. Would you ever release it? Are you getting want you want and seek to continue it? Or would you use it ro ruin him at some point? Say he got reelected? Right after the election? Mid term? Lame duck phase? 

So......why hasn't the impeachment process started yet?

Is there some magical line that has somehow not been crossed?

A D.C. federal judge refused to throw out a lawsuit brought by congressional Democrats accusing President Trump of violating the Constitution’s emoluments clause.

In a 48-page opinion Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Emmett Sullivan denied a motion from Trump to dismiss the case. Trump’s argument rested on a narrow definition of “emolument.” The judge found that argument unpersuasive.

The President’s definition, however, disregards the ordinary meaning of the term as set forth in the vast majority of Founding-era dictionaries; is inconsistent with the text, structure, historical interpretation, adoption, and purpose of the Clause; and is contrary to Executive Branch practice over the course of many years,” Sullivan wrote.
Other than that, it's a good argument though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plaintiffs cite contemporaneous documents to support their argument that the purpose of the Clause was “to exclude corruption and foreign influence," ... prompted by the need to guard against “the influence which foreign powers may attempt to exercise in our affairs" ...

With “Emolument” defined broadly as any profit, gain, or advantage, it is clear that the Amended Complaint states a plausible claim against the President for violations of the Clause. Plaintiffs have alleged that the President has accepted a variety of Emoluments from foreign governments—intellectual property rights, payments for hotel rooms and events, payments derived from real estate holdings, licensing fees for “The Apprentice,” and regulatory benefits—without seeking and obtaining the consent of Congress. ... Accepting the allegations in the Amended Complaint as true, which the Court must at this juncture, plaintiffs’ allegations state a plausible claim for relief, and survive the President’s motion to dismiss.
tl;dr

A court has ordered Trump and his companies to cooperate with Democratic oversight.  Absent a successful appeal, failure to cooperate is contempt of court (not contempt of Congress).

To be clear I am not a big fan of Comey's actions as FBI director but his op ed in the NYT hit the nail on the head.

“Proximity to an amoral leader reveals something depressing,” he wrote. “I think that’s at least part of what we’ve seen with Bill Barr and Rod Rosenstein. Accomplished people lacking inner strength can’t resist the compromises necessary to survive Mr. Trump and that adds up to something they will never recover from. It takes character like Mr. Mattis’s to avoid the damage, because Mr. Trump eats your soul in small bites.”

Come on, God, just one big lightning bolt to express your displeasure, please?  It's not like I'm asking for a pillar of salt here.
Whatever happened to that guy?  In the bible, he was telling us what was right and what was wrong three, four times a week it seems. There's no way he supports the cripple-mocking, bullying, and bigotry going on right now. And doing it under the guise of being a Christian. Can't he make a pillar fall or a well-placed lightning bolt take down a White House tree or something?

National Prayer Breakfast at the White House ought to be an abomination. 
It ought to be, but it won't. Trump will talk about the two corinthian leathers, the various pastors will praise their master, and conservative media will hype up whichever African American pastors happened to be in attendance, and the descent into hell will continue unabated.

It ought to be, but it won't. Trump will talk about the two corinthian leathers, the various pastors will praise their master, and conservative media will hype up whichever African American pastors happened to be in attendance, and the descent into hell will continue unabated.
🙄

Trump Administration Files Formal Request to Strike Down All of Obamacare.

The Trump administration formally declared its opposition to the entire Affordable Care Act on Wednesday, arguing in a federal appeals court filing that the signature Obama-era legislation was unconstitutional and should be struck down.

Such a decision could end health insurance for some 21 million Americansand affect many millions more who benefit from the law’s protections for people with pre-existing medical conditions and required coverage for pregnancy, prescription drugs and mental health.

In filing the brief, the administration abandoned an earlier position — that some portions of the law, including the provision allowing states to expand their Medicaid programs, should stand. The switch, which the administration disclosed in late March, has confounded many people in Washington, even within the Republican Party, who came to realize that health insurance and a commitment to protecting the A.C.A. were among the main issues that propelled Democrats to a majority in the House of Representatives last fall.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/05/01/health/unconstitutional-trump-aca.amp.html

Trump Administration Files Formal Request to Strike Down All of Obamacare.

The Trump administration formally declared its opposition to the entire Affordable Care Act on Wednesday, arguing in a federal appeals court filing that the signature Obama-era legislation was unconstitutional and should be struck down.

Such a decision could end health insurance for some 21 million Americansand affect many millions more who benefit from the law’s protections for people with pre-existing medical conditions and required coverage for pregnancy, prescription drugs and mental health.

In filing the brief, the administration abandoned an earlier position — that some portions of the law, including the provision allowing states to expand their Medicaid programs, should stand. The switch, which the administration disclosed in late March, has confounded many people in Washington, even within the Republican Party, who came to realize that health insurance and a commitment to protecting the A.C.A. were among the main issues that propelled Democrats to a majority in the House of Representatives last fall.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/05/01/health/unconstitutional-trump-aca.amp.html
For a guy who lost the popular vote by 3 million votes, he better pray that all of the 21 million he's screwing over were already voting Democrat.

For a guy who lost the popular vote by 3 million votes, he better pray that all of the 21 million he's screwing over were already voting Democrat.
Statistically 40% of the 21 million don't vote, so he doesn't need to worry about those 8 million or so Americans. 

56% of Americans approve of the way Trump is handling the economy. Yet 52% of Americans disapprove of Trump overall. 

This is the most unusual polling dichotomy I have ever seen. Almost always the economic approval numbers match the overall approval numbers. Those who think Trump will win the election expect that to happen this time as well- yet it hasn’t. 

56% of Americans approve of the way Trump is handling the economy. Yet 52% of Americans disapprove of Trump overall. 

This is the most unusual polling dichotomy I have ever seen. Almost always the economic approval numbers match the overall approval numbers. Those who think Trump will win the election expect that to happen this time as well- yet it hasn’t. 
I think the Trump vote will align with former and not the latter.  We will see.

timschochet said:

His only savior and the sole reason he has a prayer of getting reelected. If the economy takes even the slightest downturn, he may get destroyed in a landslide. He knows this, that's why he pressures the Fed to cut interest rates. He doesn't care about longterm, he needs to juice the economy till election day.

Whatever happened to that guy?  In the bible, he was telling us what was right and what was wrong three, four times a week it seems. There's no way he supports the cripple-mocking, bullying, and bigotry going on right now. And doing it under the guise of being a Christian. Can't he make a pillar fall or a well-placed lightning bolt take down a White House tree or something?
He opened up a sinkhole at the Whitehouse :shrug:  

Not the right thread, but not sure where to put it.  Sometimes I wish I was faster with shtick....

My work phone rings with the caller ID saying "NRSC."  Answer it and state my name (which is not Mike):

"Hi Mike, This is Jon Cornyn. How are you today?"

"Sorry, I think you have the wrong number."

"So, this is not Mike Kaiser?"

"No, sorry."

I look up Mike Kaiser, and he's the head of the DeVos Institute of Arts Management after running the Kennedy Center.  So, yes, I got a real mis-dialed call from Sen. Jon Cornyn seeking some donor cash from someone who is most certainly a multi-millionaire.  I really wasted a good shtick opportunity there.

Not the right thread, but not sure where to put it.  Sometimes I wish I was faster with shtick....

My work phone rings with the caller ID saying "NRSC."  Answer it and state my name (which is not Mike):

"No, sorry."

I look up Mike Kaiser, and he's the head of the DeVos Institute of Arts Management after running the Kennedy Center.  So, yes, I got a real mis-dialed call from Sen. Jon Cornyn seeking some donor cash from someone who is most certainly a multi-millionaire.  I really wasted a good shtick opportunity there.
We're all disappointed in you.  <_<

"No, sorry."

Hmmm....I wonder if Cornyn meant to call a different Mike Kaiser? Cornyn is Republican, and although the DeVos Institute was sponsored by Betsy and her husband.....I tend to doubt that Kaiser himself is a Republican, considering the fact that he and his husband were married by Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Hmmm....I wonder if Cornyn meant to call a different Mike Kaiser? Cornyn is Republican, and although the DeVos Institute was sponsored by Betsy and her husband.....I tend to doubt that Kaiser himself is a Republican, considering the fact that he and his husband were married by Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
It could be another one.  When I googled and saw a Mike Kaiser that likely had megabucks and a DC number, I thought that may have been enough to connect the dots.  If he is a Democrat, there is always the chance that someone asked for his number, and he's giving out my work number to Republican Senators as his fake number (which would be awesome).

It could be another one.  When I googled and saw a Mike Kaiser that likely had megabucks and a DC number, I thought that may have been enough to connect the dots.  If he is a Democrat, there is always the chance that someone asked for his number, and he's giving out my work number to Republican Senators as his fake number (which would be awesome).
Certanly if you take advantage of it next time :rant:  

Maybe that Mike Kaiser gave a random number on a form at a fundraiser or something. Just your luck.

Do you think Trump will appoint a secretary of defense before the election?  Bananas how that isn’t even really news.  

Bucky86 said:

NEW: Pres. Trump grants pardon to former U.S. Army first lieutenant convicted in 2009 of killing an Iraqi prisoner. (link: https://abcn.ws/2H1JGuk) abcn.ws/2H1JGuk

This is one of those "did the right thing but for the wrong reason" situations.

The soldier's case was complex, with lots of mitigating factors, which is why he was paroled in 2014 (after originally being sentenced to a 25-year prison term). But I wouldn't be surprised if Trump never examined any of those mitigating factors. All he sees is "Good guys shouldn't go to jail for killing bad guys."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread