What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"The Voice" , new singing talent search show (1 Viewer)

My wife got me into this. I dont love it but its watchable. The only way this does well next year is with different judges IMOI see the bald lesbian being booted with the cute girl. Frenchie and little momma stayAnd on the other side, I see senya and the cowboy being booted with piano girl and 6 kids guy
I like these judges much more than American Idol. But just like AI, they're not pointing out the vocal mistakes that were made. Several of the singers were flat and sharp throughout their songs, but they only get positive reviews.If an opposing judge has the opportunity to slam a contestant, they should do it.
Opposing judges aren't there to be critics.

I agree. I also am partial to an artist taking a song that is completely out of character for them and putting their own stamp on it. My wife thought she would have done better singing a Norah Jones song. I'm sure she would have done a great job, but it wouldn't have set her apart from the rest of the pack. Everyone else picked the most obvious songs for their music style (Melissa Etheridge for the lesbian? Really? Who could have guessed?). She did much more than that.
:lol: Almost word for word what I said.
My comment to the wife was along the lines of "I bet she has never sung this one before..."

My wife got me into this. I dont love it but its watchable. The only way this does well next year is with different judges IMOI see the bald lesbian being booted with the cute girl. Frenchie and little momma stayAnd on the other side, I see senya and the cowboy being booted with piano girl and 6 kids guy
I like these judges much more than American Idol. But just like AI, they're not pointing out the vocal mistakes that were made. Several of the singers were flat and sharp throughout their songs, but they only get positive reviews.If an opposing judge has the opportunity to slam a contestant, they should do it.
They aren't really judges though. They are more coaches.And no way does Bev not make it through. Not saying she doesn't deserve it, but I just don't see both America and Christina not giving her a pass.

But they have ears right? Why say someone was great when they weren't? It kills their credibility with viewers and their own team.

They aren't really judges though. They are more coaches.And no way does Bev not make it through. Not saying she doesn't deserve it, but I just don't see both America and Christina not giving her a pass.
She has a naturally powerful voice with great control despite never taken lessons. The dancing needs to stop though.

I thought it started out with a bang with Raquel doing a non-autotuned version of Ke$ha's.

Oh, and I thought the coaches sounded terrible doing that Queen medly. Seriously, what would you think of these guys if you didn't already know they are stars?

Last edited by a moderator:
They aren't really judges though. They are more coaches.
I thought they should have had some kind of free-agency after the challenge rounds where other coaches could pick up people who were booted by their own coach. It would spice things up a little.

I thought they should have had some kind of free-agency after the challenge rounds where other coaches could pick up people who were booted by their own coach. It would spice things up a little.
I thought so too. That would have been great.Or maybe have a fifth coach introduced that gets to work with the castoffs from the other teams.

I thought so too. That would have been great.Or maybe have a fifth coach introduced that gets to work with the castoffs from the other teams.
Interesting idea. I especially like it because I think a few of them made the wrong choice. For one, I can't believe the sisters are still in the competition.

Interesting idea. I especially like it because I think a few of them made the wrong choice. For one, I can't believe the sisters are still in the competition.
Me too. And I think Tyler Robinson beat Patrick Thomas in their showdown but I think Blake wanted the country singer no matter what.

Which one of them re-arranged a song for the selection round? Christina had commented that she couldn't believe she hadn't thought of doing that.
Does anyone remember which artist this was?
:no: I am a little late to the game. Started on week 2 of the cutdowns
Which one of them re-arranged a song for the selection round? Christina had commented that she couldn't believe she hadn't thought of doing that.
Does anyone remember which artist this was?
:shrug:
I will find this out, if I have to watch every minute of the Blind Auditions over again (I suppose I can skip them men). Although I can't get the first episode to load on nbc.com.

Some of the performances during live show were absolutely horrible and the judges flowered them with great comments.

Dude who sang the Kings Of Leon was so bad i felt bad for him

Some of the performances during live show were absolutely horrible and the judges flowered them with great comments.Dude who sang the Kings Of Leon was so bad i felt bad for him
As was said above, they are coaches not judges. There's a distinctive difference.

Some of the performances during live show were absolutely horrible and the judges flowered them with great comments.Dude who sang the Kings Of Leon was so bad i felt bad for him
As was said above, they are coaches not judges. There's a distinctive difference.
well they dont really give coaching tips, its more like AI's friendly judges saying how they liked the performance each time

'biggamer3 said:
'Dragons said:
Some of the performances during live show were absolutely horrible and the judges flowered them with great comments.

well they dont really give coaching tips, its more like AI's friendly judges saying how they liked the performance each time
On air, they haven't really given coaching tips. That's mostly true. But, I'm pretty sure most of their coaching is over by time they perform. For instance, Xenia was coached not to wring her hands while singing.You're confusing coaching with judging/critiquing.

This is how I'd break it out, personally. But, there are a lot of country music fans and only 1 person on the show for them to throw their votes behind. I can see him advancing akin to Bristol Palin on that other show.

Also, my wife really dislikes the piano girl. She didn't like her choice of song (didn't find it believable her singing the word "homey") and thinks she did a terrible job because of it. Hopefully not too many more feel the same way, because I thought that performance was exceptional.

I'm also in the group who hasn't watched an episode of American Idol, but am completely drawn into this show.
Weird criticism. Dia was transformed by that song and she knocked it out of the park.
All the judges/coaches were gushing over her rendition. I'd be willing to bet that Dia got the idea from The Fray's cover of Heartless. She mixed it up to suit her voice but anyone that saw The Fray do it first on youtube would recognize the arrangement.
Dia's version is waaaay better than the Fray's IMO.

'biggamer3 said:
'Dragons said:

On air, they haven't really given coaching tips. That's mostly true. But, I'm pretty sure most of their coaching is over by time they perform. For instance, Xenia was coached not to wring her hands while singing.You're confusing coaching with judging/critiquing.
Judges, coaches, whatever. Like I said, this show needs to rotate them every year. I think that will be the draw. They can even keep the same genres. I can think of more then a few people that would be open to doing it based on the popularity this yearJust found out my BIL and SIL will be going to the finals. My BIL sold one of the bigger sponsor ads for NBC so that is his thank you. Pretty cool

Ridiculous. I think people have seen too many lip-synched concerts and heard too many auto-tuned songs to have fun with an actual live performance.

Ridiculous. I think people have seen too many lip-synched concerts and heard too many auto-tuned songs to have fun with an actual live performance.
What about the millions of people who watch American Idol?The one thing holding back the live performance on The Voice seems to be the equipment. The microphone/sound system they use sound completely inferior to what American Idol uses.

What about the millions of people who watch American Idol?The one thing holding back the live performance on The Voice seems to be the equipment. The microphone/sound system they use sound completely inferior to what American Idol uses.
What about them? Every time I've watched Idol (which admittedly isn't very often), the singers are just standing there as they sing. These people are putting on a show. Really, I can't compare the sound. All I know is that The Voice is infinitely more entertaining than Idol.

What about them? Every time I've watched Idol (which admittedly isn't very often), the singers are just standing there as they sing. These people are putting on a show. Really, I can't compare the sound. All I know is that The Voice is infinitely more entertaining than Idol.
You said people have seen too many lip-synched concerts and auto tuned songs to be able to appreciate the live performances. I was just pointing out that American Idol is the most popular show ever and it is filled with live performances so I think most people outside of teenage girls can appreciate a live performance.

EDIT: Also are you guys watching the same show I am?

Dia, the lesbian, and Frenchie were the only one from last week's show that were good. Everyone else would have been cut from Idol.

I usually try to watch the Idol finale. Pretty much every time I've said the same thing to myself - "This is the best they could come up with?"

Diffrent strokes/folks I guess.

I usually try to watch the Idol finale. Pretty much every time I've said the same thing to myself - "This is the best they could come up with?"Diffrent strokes/folks I guess.
If you watch just the Idol finale you'll miss out on some of the better artists. American Idol is a popularity contest so often times the best singers are not in the finale. This past American Idol season finale was especially terrible considering all the talent they had entering the live shows.Also, not trying to make this into a Idol vs. the world, since I'll watch just about any singing competition. I really hope NBC brings back the a capella group singing competition also.

I re-watched both Blind Audition shows over the weekend. Why do people think national TV is the place to "come out"?

This is how I'd break it out, personally. But, there are a lot of country music fans and only 1 person on the show for them to throw their votes behind. I can see him advancing akin to Bristol Palin on that other show.

Also, my wife really dislikes the piano girl. She didn't like her choice of song (didn't find it believable her singing the word "homey") and thinks she did a terrible job because of it. Hopefully not too many more feel the same way, because I thought that performance was exceptional.

I'm also in the group who hasn't watched an episode of American Idol, but am completely drawn into this show.
Weird criticism. Dia was transformed by that song and she knocked it out of the park.
All the judges/coaches were gushing over her rendition. I'd be willing to bet that Dia got the idea from The Fray's cover of Heartless. She mixed it up to suit her voice but anyone that saw The Fray do it first on youtube would recognize the arrangement.
She covered a cover, and then took credit for it's originality. Boo.

The inflections and phrasing were all her own and waaaaay different than the Frays.

Wait. So Dia Frampton is part of a band that at one time was signed by Warner? And they're a rock band?

All of a sudden her shy & demure act seems just like that...an act and I begin to be less impressed.

Wait. So Dia Frampton is part of a band that at one time was signed by Warner? And they're a rock band?

All of a sudden her shy & demure act seems just like that...an act and I begin to be less impressed.
Yah the one part of the show that is most annoying to me. Especially when you watch some of her and the bands other youtube videos.I've known about here since I saw her band

on youtube.

Apparently Javier Colon has three albums out already and a lot of the other contestants have been backup singers and (as previously said) performed on Broadway and such.

Might make me root for the youngsters a bit more.

I'm not sure why it's so surprising that many of the artists are professional singers. It should have been obvious when Frenchie first took the stage.

I'm not sure why it's so surprising that many of the artists are professional singers. It should have been obvious when Frenchie first took the stage.
There's a difference though. Frenchie was open about it. Tim Mahoney has been popular in Minneapolis for a long time.Seems like Dia might be playing the shyness angle. Maybe she just is that much more uncomfortable in front of people she doesn't know. I'm still rooting for her because she's pretty good. But it takes a bit of the "wow" factor away is all.

The inflections and phrasing were all her own and waaaaay different than the Frays.
Come on. This sounds like what Vanilla Ice said.

There's a difference though. Frenchie was open about it. Tim Mahoney has been popular in Minneapolis for a long time.Seems like Dia might be playing the shyness angle. Maybe she just is that much more uncomfortable in front of people she doesn't know. I'm still rooting for her because she's pretty good. But it takes a bit of the "wow" factor away is all.
I never had the impression that the other artists were hiding anything. At least one was announced as a backup singer wanting to take the next step. It was very clear that the creepy looking guy who had a lot of 'almosts' (is that Tim Mahoney?) had been in the industry for awhile. The girl who did the Nirvana song travels the country performing and lives out of her car. We also have no idea what they rest of the artists have said in interviews that hasn't aired.If anything, NBC could have done a better job letting the audiences know that these are a mix of new artists looking for their first break and other artists who have been in the industry for awhile who are looking to take the step up to superstardom. I don't place any of the mis-representation on the artists themselves. It's not like they tricked NBC into getting on the show when obviously being a professional singer (Frenchie) is not a disqualification.That Dia has released several albums and was once signed with a major record label doesn't mean she's not shy.

I don't remember exactly what she said after the performance, but are you sure she really took credit for it's originality?

I never had the impression that the other artists were hiding anything. At least one was announced as a backup singer wanting to take the next step. It was very clear that the creepy looking guy who had a lot of 'almosts' (is that Tim Mahoney?) had been in the industry for awhile. The girl who did the Nirvana song travels the country performing and lives out of her car. We also have no idea what they rest of the artists have said in interviews that hasn't aired.If anything, NBC could have done a better job letting the audiences know that these are a mix of new artists looking for their first break and other artists who have been in the industry for awhile who are looking to take the step up to superstardom. I don't place any of the mis-representation on the artists themselves. It's not like they tricked NBC into getting on the show when obviously being a professional singer (Frenchie) is not a disqualification.That Dia has released several albums and was once signed with a major record label doesn't mean she's not shy.
No, you're right of course. I don't mean to say that anyone lied. It's just kind of a letdown to my Polyanna side that these folks aren't more "out of nowhere".And that's a good point about Dia. Music IS transformative and someone can be completely different while in the middle of a performance.

Tons of people cover songs if that's what you are knocking her for.If you're knocking her for covering a rap song, tons of people have done that too.

If you're saying her version sounds EXACTLY like the Fray's then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Yeah NBC was very open about this not being just for fresh faces like Idol.

They wanted some guys with a few failed record deals to get a real breakthrough chance and mix that with fresh faces.

Problem is i think most of the final group would be easy cuts during the Hollywood weeks of Idol.

But like someone else said, from the first 8 we saw last week, Dia the Lesbo and Frenchy are all awesome.

I don't remember exactly what she said after the performance, but are you sure she really took credit for it's originality?
I don't think she's taking credit for its originality. But she also didn't defer credit for the arrangement when the coaches praised her for it. I just wish she hadn't been silent/neutral on the subject. American Idol contestants do the same thing all the time (search Youtube for cover ideas them pass them off as their own in the early rounds of the competition).

I don't think she's taking credit for its originality. But she also didn't defer credit for the arrangement when the coaches praised her for it. I just wish she hadn't been silent/neutral on the subject. American Idol contestants do the same thing all the time (search Youtube for cover ideas them pass them off as their own in the early rounds of the competition).
You're talking about right after her performance, right? It wasn't really the time for her to expound on how it came to be.

'Sarnoff said:
It's just that NBC didn't really disclose it or make it openly known. When I was reading my hometown paper articles about Javier C., it was pretty up-front about the fact that his agent booked his audition, but the way NBC played it, it was like these were all unknowns or something.
You from Stratford? I'm one town over.

This is a fantastic idea. I can't believe there's nothing like this on TV already. I think the concept has HUGE potential.

Users who are viewing this thread