What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Wheel of Time on Amazon (1 Viewer)

I'm expecting it to be closer to the Shanara Chronicles than to GOT.  I'll watch it and enjoy it, but with the cast, I wouldn't be surprised if it feels more like it should be airing on the CW.
Wow, i cringe even seeing this in writing... I hope it's no where near as bad as the Shanara Chronicles.  I enjoy that book series and thought the show was absolute trash, and completely belonged on the CW, just had to stop watching after the underground dance party I think.  I can't believe Amazon does that bad of a job with this.

Everything I've seen so far leads me to believe it'll be closer to maybe The Witcher quality and even approaching GoT levels, as least when it comes to production quality. The cast is fairly young at the outset (in line with the books), although I think they did age the characters up just a little and I figured that was specifically to avoid the CW aspect.

KGB said:
What sanderson would you recommend starting with?
Here's his recommendation: https://www.brandonsanderson.com/where-do-i-start/

I would have said Elantris, but he recommends Mistborn... I thought Mistborn had a little too much angst in the second book.  The Stormlight Archive (starts with The Way of Kings) is my favorite series.  He's 4 books and two novellas into a 10 book series.  He's reliable about hitting deadlines and seems like the type to stick to his 10 book plan without spinning out.

Many of his books fit into a universe called the Cosmere that are (so far) very loosely connected.  You don't need to know anything from any of the other series to enjoy one, though.

• Thanks
Reactions: KGB
Just saw a listing for this and honestly had no idea it actually got made.  I finished all these books a long time ago and honestly still not sure how I did since I found one of the main characters annoying and by the end of the books I wanted to drive a stake into the heart of another (didn't list them in case that is viewed as a Spoiler).  Though I really liked one of the main characters and once I got deep enough into the series I figured you need to finish it.  I will say the best books are probably the first book after the long slug of bad books, the Sanderson ones and one or two early ones.  From about book 6 until Sanderson shows up they are actually pretty bad other than the first after a string of like 4 bad books.  I would honestly not recommend reading the series to anyone unless they wanted to waste a decade on something.

I will definately check it out and I will say one thing that if there isn't sufficient braid pulling and skirt smoothing I am going to be pissed.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The trailer has a Hobbit/Narnia feel to it. Is this story geared toward kids/teens or are the themes more adult?

The trailer has a Hobbit/Narnia feel to it. Is this story geared toward kids/teens or are the themes more adult?
I think the writing/dialogue is a little more YA than something like GOT.  There are for sure some scary and adult scenes that could be more M rated if they leaned on those, but judging by the trailers it looks like they went the broad audience route.  

Just found this thread.  I am very much looking forward to this.

I have read all 14 books, met Jordan at a book signing years ago, and have a couple of autographed books.
The books went on way too long, and the story can be compressed quite a bit.

As with anything I have read, I usually enjoy seeing it on TV or in a movie.
How it looks and how it is received is the hard thing to judge.

John Carter, Shannara Chronicles, LOTR, GOT, Foundation (haven't watched yet), Dune, Childhood's End ... to name the ones that come to mind right off.

eta - read his Fallon series written under the name Reagan O'Neal as well.  Being from Charleston, they were interesting.

Started watching and I can't help but compare it to GOT. It's not GOT. It's also TV-16+ instead of TV-MA, so take it for what it's worth. 

waiting to see how the reviews are for this thing. huge fan of the books but don't currently have prime. considering getting it to watch this but want to make sure this isn't a total bomb first. 

As to finishing the books for those that started them, 1-4/5 are great, 6-9 are kinda considered "the slog" although I maintain that is mostly because of a combination of an explosion of plot threads in those books and having to wait for them originally. Not nearly as bad when you can move directly from one book to the next, IMO, and there are some really significant events in those 4 books.
One of my favorite series ever also and I have long said the same thing - 6 books were out when I started reading the series with book 7 coming out right about the time I finished book 6. The "slog" had a lot to do with the fact that you were waiting forever and a day between books after that point. I know people that never read a book until the series was basically over and none of them really had the same level of "slog effect" as I did once I had to start waiting.

The worst was whatever book it is that has the same 'scene'/period of time written over and over again from like 10 different POV's. Always wondered what that would have been like if it was more a "diversion" in reading the series than a book that moved the story :thisfar: after waiting forever for it to appear. 

And while it was a bummer to have Jordan die before he finished the series, as others have mentioned, it was a nice way to be introduced to Sanderson and his world of books when he finished off WoT. 

One positive I will say is that they haven't skimped on the blood.  I thought they would go more pg-13 in that area. 

One of my favorite series ever also and I have long said the same thing - 6 books were out when I started reading the series with book 7 coming out right about the time I finished book 6. The "slog" had a lot to do with the fact that you were waiting forever and a day between books after that point. I know people that never read a book until the series was basically over and none of them really had the same level of "slog effect" as I did once I had to start waiting.

The worst was whatever book it is that has the same 'scene'/period of time written over and over again from like 10 different POV's. Always wondered what that would have been like if it was more a "diversion" in reading the series than a book that moved the story :thisfar: after waiting forever for it to appear. 

And while it was a bummer to have Jordan die before he finished the series, as others have mentioned, it was a nice way to be introduced to Sanderson and his world of books when he finished off WoT. 

I started the books when they were late in production and never had to wait for books.  There are a string of books that are just downright bad.  I understand it all comes together in one book but some of that stuff was plain brutal.  

ETA - Does the spoiler thing not work anymore?  Just tried it and failed.  

I started the books when they were late in production and never had to wait for books.  There are a string of books that are just downright bad.  I understand it all comes together in one book but some of that stuff was plain brutal.  

ETA - Does the spoiler thing not work anymore?  Just tried it and failed.  
You have to do a little work to get a spoiler thing...

In general I think the books got too popular for Jordan's own good - it had enough of a following that putting one out was just printing money for everyone involved. Thus, he had far too much freedom to delve deep into the world instead of having editors/publishers that would force him to keep the story on track. 

I dig them.

The action cgi was really meh, but i do like what they're trying to do with the weaves. I really enjoyed how they explained some of the history/lore already. (there will be slow parts @Capella )

Rand, Mat and Nynaeve are cast perfectly imo, love them.

Building hate for the white cloaks :hifive:

Padan Fain looks to be a great fit too 

ps, why was Perrin's wife going to kill him? She had her axe raised over her head facing his back when he turned and sliced her.   :oldunsure:

This is more in the Lord of the Rings realm  
Certainly from a cinematography perspective; some of those locations were amazing.  They definitely spent some money there.  

Finished the first 3 episodes and ... meh.  Nowhere close to GoT quality (save the cinematography; the only thing better than GoT).  Hopefully it picks up.  BTW, I read til about mid-slog and then quit.  Hopefully they cut a lot of the crap out and compress it into a watchable series.

Certainly from a cinematography perspective; some of those locations were amazing.  They definitely spent some money there.  

Finished the first 3 episodes and ... meh.  Nowhere close to GoT quality (save the cinematography; the only thing better than GoT).  Hopefully it picks up.  BTW, I read til about mid-slog and then quit.  Hopefully they cut a lot of the crap out and compress it into a watchable series.
Honestly, I think many of you are in trouble if you are posting this after 3 episodes.   It felt like they were cramming stuff in there and moving the pace a lot quicker than the books go, and introducing things like the White Cloaks and Red sisters from the jump.  

I thought the 1st ep zipped along nicely with nothing but plot moving action, so this is a bit surprising. haven't watched 2 or 3 yet.
I’m going to give it the first season and decide. Can’t really make a decision on the first episode and maybe I just wasn’t into it today. 

Thought episodes 1 & 2 were good and kept my interest throughout.

Episode 3 sorta dragged.

Now we wait a week :popcorn:

Watched them, liked them, will probably start reading he books at some point.

Edit - just looked, F me those are some big books. Probably won’t go down that road.

I dig them.

The action cgi was really meh, but i do like what they're trying to do with the weaves. I really enjoyed how they explained some of the history/lore already. (there will be slow parts @Capella )

Rand, Mat and Nynaeve are cast perfectly imo, love them.

Building hate for the white cloaks :hifive:

Padan Fain looks to be a great fit too 

ps, why was Perrin's wife going to kill him? She had her axe raised over her head facing his back when he turned and sliced her.   :oldunsure:
I agree on Mat 100%.  I am still not sold on Rand, and think he's a bit bland.   I don't like Perrin much at all, and think he might be the worst of the bunch.     I like the female casting.   

I might send you a PM, but I was surprised how they choose to handle some things - Rand/Egwene,   Shadar Logoth, etc..  

Users who are viewing this thread