What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Wheel of Time on Amazon (2 Viewers)

I am not 100% all in like I have been from the start with shows like GOT or The Expanse, but for the most part I do really glike the first 3 episodes.   After I thought about it more:

Positives:

• I was impressed with the battles and the gore.   I had the impression they would go more pg-13 here.  
  • Really like the female casting of the show so far and their characters
  • I like the choices they made in  accelerating the plot a little and right away getting to the red sisters and White Cloaks. 
  • Good choice, like GOT to age up the characters.  
Negatives:

• not loving 2 of the core male leads makes me a little nervous.  
  • I know it's nitpicking, but it seems like the Trollocs were a bit easy to kill.   I got the impression from the books that these were harder to take down.  
  • I like the look of the series as a whole, but not the look of the big bads.  

Overall looking forward to see where they go with S1, and hopefully it renews my interesting in going on with the books before S2. 

Saw a preview of this at the movies today. Looks like Game of Thrones kinda. Is there cursing, violence and relations in this too? Rating?

Saw a preview of this at the movies today. Looks like Game of Thrones kinda. Is there cursing, violence and relations in this too? Rating?
0 nudity and sex so far, there is some decent blood/violence.   I think it was weirdly rated as 16+ or something on Prime.  

Overall I really enjoyed the first 3 episodes. Lots of little nods to book readers and a lot of details that may not be picked up on first watch. I do understand most of the things that were changed for the TV show. It's not 10/10, more like 7 or 8/10 for me right now. Probably a little lower for the first episode (just so much to do and get through and alternatively felt both rushed and slow) but 2 and 3 were pretty good and I feel like they are figuring out the pacing. I do think non-book readers are probably bound to be a bit lost through 3 episodes.

Really liked the Winternight battle scenes.

Whitecloaks live up to my expectations - I know some people say they are more over the top in the show, but I disagree. They were definitely the type that would kill Aes Sedai and hunt them down, not to mention anyone they think is associated.

Fain was just right, curious when we'll see him again, given the changes to their travel itinerary. I was underwhelm by Thom's introduction, but he could definitely grow on me. I get why they didn't have him there at Winternight, just too many characters to introduce already given they were only going to do that in 1 episode. Definitely wish they could have gone 10 or 12 episodes per season, then the "pilot" could have been 2 episodes and really allowed for some better introductions and development of the world as a whole.

Definitely didn't care for the cold open (chase scene). Don't think it worked and doesn't seem relevant, even with Moraine and Lan there.

Overall though, to me it felt like the World of Time. It wasn't the exact same, but I didn't expect it to be. I really like the world details, the costumes, actors are for the most part doing well. Most of my complaints in that department are probably Pike - I did not like her introduction in the teaser and didn't like it in the show either. Felt a bit too forced, but I think she'll settle into the character (hopefully). I actually like all the young actors and think they've done a good job portraying their characters and the various internal struggles they have going on. Rand already standing up to Moraine (when he probably shouldn't be, but that's normal), tension between him and Egwene, Perrin being broody (more about him in the spoiler, if that works). Matt's the one I had some issues with early, but he's already growing on me. And the women playing Egwene and Nynaeve are killing it.

Is there a spoiler policy for this thread?

Edit: guess spoiler tags don't work anymore?

Love how Nynaeve was re-introduced with regards to Lan and snuck up on him. 

Like how the wolves are involved so far, but they better explain a bit more soon for non-book readers.

I like the fan theory that Perrin's wife was a darkfriend - sure seemed like maybe she was about to brain him, and it would explain her apparent distance leading up to to Winternight. Plus it would give her character a bit more depth instead of just having been there solely to be killed for Perrin's character arch.

The bat scene was just perfectly gross.

Don't think the Whitecloaks would have told the group to seek out an Aes Sedai for healing, although I get that was probably to try to show the disconnect internally between the 2 factions.

Last edited by a moderator:
That helps  :lmao:

Started the 1st book yesterday  :bag:
Dude, that it is an epic undertaking. Good luck but you will be reading these for a decade. Honestly the world building aspect is the best part. I know others will disagree but I thought several books on the middle were pretty bad but overall it was a good series. 

Doesn’t seem like you guys are in love with this. I’ll check back after the first season is over. 
On the plus side, if it starts out mediocre instead of awesome, and since the source material is done, you don’t have to worry that the final couple seasons will be hurriedly written and slapped together via Mad Libs and ruin the rewatchability of the series as a whole.  

Dude, that it is an epic undertaking. Good luck but you will be reading these for a decade. Honestly the world building aspect is the best part. I know others will disagree but I thought several books on the middle were pretty bad but overall it was a good series. 
Yea that's why I just bought the first book. I'm 57, unless this thing really hooks me, chances are good i don't finish this series. My first impression was holy #### that's a huge book. Then I look and there are 13 others of equal or greater length.

I'm surprised the Sword Of Truth series isn't on the list. Think there's like 10 or 11 long ### books in it. 
Man, I disliked that series.  Just no plan... each book was the end of the series, then he had to invent a problem to fight for the next book.  The second book has them killing the devil, and somehow it's not the end of the series.  And the book where they defeated communism was just so ridiculously bad.  I gave up there.

Finished the first three episodes and I am pleasently suprised.  Really glad they have the whiteclocks from the beginning.  I always felt like with these books he kept expanding on the world throughout and glad they are embracing the entire world from the beginning.  Looking forward to the next episode drop.

Didn't read books and won't.  

I think I enjoyed it alot. Never been disappointed in Pike.  The kid that looks like Hayden Christiansen is going to annoy me very soon unless the brooding crap stops completely.  I love the dead city visuals,  that was amazing.  

Hate having to wait for episodes. I'm firmly that guy now.

i dont really like the brooding teenager guy or the theif guy they just both seem like they are too over the top stereotypical take that to the bank brohans 

i dont really like the brooding teenager guy or the theif guy they just both seem like they are too over the top stereotypical take that to the bank brohans 

Personally I worry they are going to mess up Mat (the thief guy as you describe him) and honestly worried they are going down that path.  If they do that it would piss me off more than anything else in the story.  

i havent read the books which i am sure shocks many of you but i dont know mat from a book but i do know i do not like where they are taking him and the bratty kid take that to the bank brohan

Hate having to wait for episodes. I'm firmly that guy now.

:goodposting:

I am not sure I understand the economic value for platforms like this, or Apple, to only put out one show per week.

I suppose it has to do with limited content, and the need to stretch the viewer out, so they don't binge and cancel.  But, its annoying.

Some of the deviations from the book are puzzling.  Perrin being married.  The sex scene (I guess to heat it up, but man the books are the complete opposite).  Given this I wonder how they will handle Rand's entanglements later on - I have in my head that they will completely #### this up as it isn't feminist. The wisdom pool (WTF?).  

Loved Padan Fain - nailed him.  Disappointed they left out Thom, but I can see why.  Rosalund Pike is incredible and easily the star of the show.  The fades are really well done, though whomever made the trollocs watched LoTR a bit too much.  The one power effects are great and Shadar Logoth was amazing - the best part of the two episodes that I have watched.

Biggest gripe, though - who in the world is doing the costumes for Rand, Mat, etc.?  Did they just send all of them to LL Bean to pick something out?

I am not sure I understand the economic value for platforms like this, or Apple, to only put out one show per week.

I suppose it has to do with limited content, and the need to stretch the viewer out, so they don't binge and cancel.  But, its annoying.
100% the opposite here.   much prefer the slow roll. 

Yeah I get stuck in no-man’s land on costumes. On the one hand, I don’t think everybody in the dirt poor village would have a different brightly colored outfit, and you sure wouldn’t have a wardrobe full of choices every day either. Can kind of make parts of it look like an Old Navy commercial.

On the other hand, if EVERYBODY is in a ragged brown smock, that’s just boring.

Ep 1  was better quality than I expected (did not read the whole series, but somehow read a couple of the last Jordan ones that I randomly picked up somewhere when I was desperate for something to read x totally up of character for me).

Sure but you can satisfy both camps by releasing them all … you can slow roll the episodes and others can binge.
yes/no. 

Part of what I like about a show like this and a an episode at a time format is the discussion and build up.  the other way we have 1/2 people powering through in a day and talking about the season, and others slower.  imo it stifles discussion around here.  

On the flip side, the bingers can wait until Christmas Eve, then watch all 10.   :P

Well, for Amazon, they probably have me for 3 months instead of 1.  I would have binge watched and then maybe re-watched it in 2 weeks then dropped the sub.  I've watched almost everything else I care to watch on their platform.

Torn, just started book 1 after watching the first 3 episodes. This book is going to take me forever to read, longer than it will take for the series to finish on Prime. Probably going to need to tap out of here until I finish up the book. We’ll see about book 2, these things are massive. 

Good 4th episode. I'm getting a little world building which is good.....looking forward to next week.

So is she Rey Skywalker?

beer 30 said:
Torn, just started book 1 after watching the first 3 episodes. This book is going to take me forever to read, longer than it will take for the series to finish on Prime. Probably going to need to tap out of here until I finish up the book. We’ll see about book 2, these things are massive. 
they are already blending plot from book 2 if I am remembering correctly.  @The Gatorwould probably be a better reference though.  

Users who are viewing this thread