What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

There are ONLY 3 sure things at QB next year. (1 Viewer)

Gravity

Footballguy
The way I see it there is PManning, Brady, and Hasselbeck as the top 3 QB's in 2006.

Tier 1:

Manning

Tier 2:

Brady

Hass

The other Top QB's have just way too many questions:

- Palmer: Major Injury - will he return? How effective will he be?

- McNabb: Hernia Surgery. NO TO!

- Culpepper: Major Injury. Sucked first 7 games. No MOSS!

- Bulger: Just way too injury prone to be a reliable pick. No MARTZ.

- Green: Coming off mediocre year. New Conservative Coach.

I think the strategy next year is to target Brady or Hass around round 5.

But make sure you get one of the 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I see it there is PManning, Brady, and Hasselbeck as the top 3 QB's in 2006.

Tier 1:

Manning

Tier 2:

Brady

Hass

The other Top QB's have just wat too many questions:

Good Post. I also think the two Jakes (Plummer and Delhomme) offer very good, stable value next year. These will be two of the guysI target in the middle rounds. They have similar upside as those mentioned without the risk. IMHO, it is Peyton and then a group of 6-8. It will come down to whether or not you want to pay the price for Peyton.

.... IMHO, it is Peyton and then a group of 6-8. It will come down to whether or not you want to pay the price for Peyton.
I Agree. I think if ever there was a year to take Peyton in round 1 then 2006 is the year.

mcnabb was pretty solid Pre-TO. i wouldnt worry too much about him. Brady is having the same hernia surgery, so if thats a ? for mcnabb, then its one for brady too.

....  IMHO, it is Peyton and then a group of 6-8.  It will come down to whether or not you want to pay the price for Peyton.
I Agree. I think if ever there was a year to take Peyton in round 1 then 2006 is the year.
Don't see why Manning is a 1st rounder. I agree with the general concept of this thread, which to me means that there are no truly worthy 1st round QBs. Keep in mind that while Manning didn't do as well as in 2004, his performance was still in line with his historical norm (perhaps better because of his lower INT total). This isn't to say that he won't be the #1 QB, just that I don't think his relative value puts him into round 1.

mcnabb was pretty solid Pre-TO. i wouldnt worry too much about him.
I agree. But you could take the stats of 6-8 QBs (including McNabb) and the highest would only be 5% above the middle of the pack. Then, the question becomes one of value.For reference, I see the following QBs as being close to one another (each has different risk values):

McNabb - No TO.

Brady - What happens with WRs and when they get a running game

Culpepper - injury?

Palmer - Injury?

Delhomme - solid

Plummer - solid -> could use improvement at WR

Eli Manning - Should make progress

Bulger - ? as to what the offense looks like post-Martz

Big Ben - Solid. ?s are injuries and WRs

Brees/Rivers - Brees' injury, who, if not both, remain in SD)

You then have:

Vick

Green

Leftwich

(whomever at the Raiders-Collins?)

Warner

I know we will not all agree with the the placement of the QBs above. But, I think it is difficult now to pick the top 3 of these guys.

mcnabb was pretty solid Pre-TO. i wouldnt worry too much about him. Brady is having the same hernia surgery, so if thats a ? for mcnabb, then its one for brady too.
Good point about the Brady surgery. What's the deal with Sports hernia surgery? is it truly nothing to worry about? I thought Mcnabb was mediocre w/o TO. The year before TO he had: 3216 yards and 16 Passing TD's that's mediocre (although he did some damage on the ground).

Hass has never finished in the top 3 and all of the sudden he is a sure thing? :confused:
The point I believe is that Hass has a fairly low risk associated with putting up solid fantasy numbers. It is not just about projecting who is finishing highest, but evaluating the liklihood of that performance.

Good point about the Brady surgery. What's the deal with Sports hernia surgery? is it truly nothing to worry about? I thought Mcnabb was mediocre w/o TO. The year before TO he had: 3216 yards and 16 Passing TD's that's mediocre (although he did some damage on the ground).
mediocre, but his WR corps (thrash, mitchell, pinkston) is a good excuse. Im sure the eagles will bring in a good target for mcnabb at WR, and LJ smith and reggie brown are already better than any of those WR.

I agree, overall, that there are only three really good bets at QB next year.

But I think the glass is half full -- there are so many guys available in late rounds with massive upside that I am planning to take my chances. I especially like Eli Manning and Byron Leftwich, two guys who could be in the top five next year who will be available in drafts in maybe as late as the ninth round, likely, even after the two Jakes. Am I nuts?

....  IMHO, it is Peyton and then a group of 6-8.  It will come down to whether or not you want to pay the price for Peyton.
:goodposting:

Because of his receivers and lack of RB resolution to date, I'd bump Warner up to the second tier as well. Just have to be sure you grab McCown or whoever the backup will be in later rounds.

I would also consider Kurt Warner, Big Ben and Jake Plummer.

Plummer and Ben may not put up huge numbers except occasisonally, but they are consistent.

As for Warner, we have seen what Boldin and Fitzgerald have been able to do. All they do is pass, they have no run game.

You're right, there are three sure bets at QB next year, Manning, Brady and McNabb.

Sweet jesus, you talk like he's had surgery on both his knees and a spinal fusion. He put up great numbers pre Owens, he'll put up great numbers post Owens.

I wouldn't be so quick to lump Green in with the question marks. He's had over a 60% completion rate every season except one (2001; 56.5%) since 2000. He also thrown for over 4000 yards the last three seasons. yes, the TDs were down, but he'll bounce back. He's pretty consistent. As far as the conservative coach theory? It wasn't Edwards who was conservative it was Hackett. Once the Jets got rid of Hackett, Heimerdinger really couldn't do much vertically with a QB with a bum shoulder and a fossil who was on his couch at the beginning of the 2005 season.

:2cents:

You're right, there are three sure bets at QB next year, Manning, Brady and McNabb.

Sweet jesus, you talk like he's had surgery on both his knees and a spinal fusion. He put up great numbers pre Owens, he'll put up great numbers post Owens.
Agreed -- pepole forget that he was the #1 QB in 2002, long before T.O. Depending on your scoring system, he's been a top two-three QB in three out of the past four years, in points per game.

I dunno I'd be comfortable with any of these as my QB, right now:

Brady

p.Manning

e.Manning

Plummer

McNabb

Hassleback

Delhomme

--------------------

by draft day, we will have info about these guys injuries:

Palmer

Culpepper

Bulger

Brees

Other who might been decent enough:

Bledso

Warner

T.Green

Favre

Plenty of value there.

The smart thing to do would be to target a couple of QBs in later rounds, say 7 and 8, with some significant upside. Say Warner and Green. if Warner in particular puts up the numbers he was putting up last year that's great value.

What happens to Plummer if TO goes to Denver? His value has to go up right? Or, for that matter, wherever TO lands is sure to increase that teams QB from a fantasy aspect.

Hass has never finished in the top 3 and all of the sudden he is a sure thing? :confused:
I didn't realize that having aTop 3 finish is what qualifies someone as a sure thing. :confused: Hass has finished 5th, 13th (missing 2 games) and 4th in his last 3 years. That seems like a sure thing to me.

Besides Manning, show me a QB with consistently good numbers like that.

Brady

p.Manning

e.Manning

Plummer

McNabb

Hassleback

Delhomme

--------------------

by draft day, we will have info about these guys injuries:

Palmer

Culpepper

Bulger

Brees

Bledso

Warner

T.Green

Favre

Plenty of value there.
Roethlisberger?Seriosuly, I thought he'd be overrated right now, but to leave him off this list, I just don't get it.

He finished #16 in the league I have him, despite missing 4 games and playing with an injured thumb, on his throwing hand. I'd be very pleased if he fell to the 6th or 7th.

I can see grabbing peyton with a late 1st, early 2nd, or Brady or McNabb with a 4th. After that, I'll wait again.

I really wish the Steelers hadn't won the Super Bowl, because Roethlisberger's perceived fantasy value probably skyrocketed with those 3 play-off games he had, and winning the SB always endears owners to QBs.

Prior to the play-offs, Ben was regarded as a QB who doesn't throw enough to have any considerable value, but even in regular season games where he only threw like 15 passes, he was always good for a mistake-free game with 1 or 2 TDs, and enough yards to put him over the threshold for a decent-enough game to keep your team afloat. The difference between him, and Palmer/Manning/McNabb was almost absurdly minute in terms of ppg relative to their draft positions. We'll use Peyton Manning as a comparison for Roethlisberger. The Week 17 games have been removed, as they are both meaningless for fantasy purposes. This is based on my league's scoring system, it may be different for your leagues.

Peyton Manning

Week /////// Opponent /////// Fantasy Points

1 /// @BAL /// 20

2 /// JAC /// 1

3 /// CLE /// 4

4 /// @TEN /// 32

5 /// @SF /// 8

6 /// STL /// 18

7 /// @HOU /// 13

9 /// @NE /// 26

10 /// HOU /// 27

11 /// @CIN /// 28

12 /// PIT /// 17

13 /// TEN /// 21

14 /// @JAC /// 22

15 /// SD /// 11

**16 /// @SEA /// 3
FP/G: 16.73 PPGAdjusted FP/G: 17.71 PPG

The ** is because Manning only played for like 1 offensive drive in that game, and his adjusted FP/G subtracts that game for a more indicative PPG average.

Ben Roethlisberger

1 /// TEN 19

2 /// @HOU 20

3 /// NE 21

5 /// @SD 17

7 /// @CIN 12

8 /// BAL 15

**11 /// @BAL 0

12 /// @IND 5

13 /// CIN 21

14 /// CHI 11

15 /// @MIN 10

16 /// @CLE 13
FP/G: 13.67 PPGAdjusted FP/G: 14.91 PPG

The ** next to the Baltimore game are because that was his first game back from what I believe was a knee injury, which is clearly evidenced by the 3 week gap in between the Week 8 and Week 11 games. Baltimore always plays the Steelers tough, but I still feel it's fair to remove that game for his Adjusted average, especially given the fact that he had scored 15 points against pretty much the exact same team in his last outing against them.

Manning was drafted among the top 6 OVERALL picks last year, while Roethlisberger was likely drafted somewhere in the vicinity of the 10th-14th rounds. The difference between the two players in fantasy, one regarded as the indisputable #1 at his position and the other as merely a serviceable starter, is perceived to be FAR greater than what turns out to be the reality. The Steelers (first making the play-offs and then) doing well in the play-offs essentially killed what could have been a FANTASTIC value going into next year at QB. My biases aside.

I didn't realize that having aTop 3 finish is what qualifies someone as a sure thing. :confused: Hass has finished 5th, 13th (missing 2 games) and 4th in his last 3 years. That seems like a sure thing to me.

Besides Manning, show me a QB with consistently good numbers like that.
The original poster said Hass is sure thing to finish in the top 3
There are only 3 sure things at QB next year

My impression of this is that Hass is a lock to finish in top 3 and I question this reasoning based on the fact he has never finished that high before. I am not doubting Hass's consistency and ability to produce

Ben Roethlisberger

1 /// TEN  19 

2 /// @HOU 20 

3 /// NE  21 

5 /// @SD  17 

7 /// @CIN  12 

8 /// BAL  15 

**11 /// @BAL  0 

12 /// @IND  5 

13 /// CIN  21 

14 /// CHI  11 

15 /// @MIN  10 

16 /// @CLE  13

The ** next to the Baltimore game are because that was his first game back from what I believe was a knee injury, which is clearly evidenced by the 3 week gap in between the Week 8 and Week 11 games. Baltimore always plays the Steelers tough, but I still feel it's fair to remove that game for his Adjusted average, especially given the fact that he had scored 15 points against pretty much the exact same team in his last outing against them.
Actually, Ben didn't play at all vs. the Ravens in Week 11. Ben's return was on MNF vs. the Colts. Your analysis concerning his performance in that game still fits. In other words, that game could be considered to be affected by rust, etc.Taking this information into consideration, your new numbers are:

FP/G: = 14.91 ppg

Adjusted FP/G: 159/10 = 15.9 ppg

another year of trent green being terribly undervalued. This guy constantly puts up great, consistent numbers but people dont even see him as a top 10 guy where thats where he finishes every year.

He hasnt gotten eye popping TD numbers in the past, and that may or might not change, but hes pretty much a lock for 4000 yards and around 20 td's. Hes the guy I would target in the mid-late rounds

I really wish the Steelers hadn't won the Super Bowl, because Roethlisberger's perceived fantasy value probably skyrocketed with those 3 play-off games he had, and winning the SB always endears owners to QBs.

Prior to the play-offs, Ben was regarded as a QB who doesn't throw enough to have any considerable value, but even in regular season games where he only threw like 15 passes, he was always good for a mistake-free game with 1 or 2 TDs, and enough yards to put him over the threshold for a decent-enough game to keep your team afloat. The difference between him, and Palmer/Manning/McNabb was almost absurdly minute in terms of ppg relative to their draft positions. We'll use Peyton Manning as a comparison for Roethlisberger. The Week 17 games have been removed, as they are both meaningless for fantasy purposes. This is based on my league's scoring system, it may be different for your leagues.

Peyton Manning

Week /////// Opponent /////// Fantasy Points

1 ///  @BAL /// 20 

2 /// JAC  ///  1 

3 ///  CLE  ///  4 

4 /// @TEN  ///  32 

5 /// @SF ///  8 

6 /// STL  ///  18 

7 /// @HOU ///  13 

9 /// @NE ///  26 

10 /// HOU  ///  27 

11 /// @CIN  ///  28 

12 /// PIT  ///  17 

13 /// TEN  /// 21 

14 /// @JAC /// 22 

15 /// SD /// 11 

**16 ///  @SEA /// 3
FP/G: 16.73 PPGAdjusted FP/G: 17.71 PPG

The ** is because Manning only played for like 1 offensive drive in that game, and his adjusted FP/G subtracts that game for a more indicative PPG average.

Ben Roethlisberger

1 /// TEN  19 

2 /// @HOU 20 

3 /// NE  21 

5 /// @SD  17 

7 /// @CIN  12 

8 /// BAL  15 

**11 /// @BAL  0 

12 /// @IND  5 

13 /// CIN  21 

14 /// CHI  11 

15 /// @MIN  10 

16 /// @CLE  13

Manning was drafted among the top 6 OVERALL picks last year, while Roethlisberger was likely drafted somewhere in the vicinity of the 10th-14th rounds. The difference between the two players in fantasy, one regarded as the indisputable #1 at his position and the other as merely a serviceable starter, is perceived to be FAR greater than what turns out to be the reality. The Steelers (first making the play-offs and then) doing well in the play-offs essentially killed what could have been a FANTASTIC value going into next year at QB. My biases aside.
This depends on your scoring system though. In our leagueManning - 24.8 ppg including 2 meaningless games

28.2 ppg when you take those 2 games out

Ben - 15.5 ppg including missed games due to injury

20.3 ppg when you take out the 4 games missed

Manning still scored 8 pts per week more the Ben based on the games that they played. I'll take that especially when you consider this is the first time that Manning didn't throw for over 4000 yds and his tds were down from last year (of course) nobody expected a repeat of 2004. With Edge possibly gone I think those td numbers go back up to 35-40 again next year. Ben is like T. Aikman, a great NFL qb, but not a fantasy stud.

If you see the Steelers go for a deep threat receiver and drop Randle El, I would say Big Ben would be a great sleeper. Cowher tried to switch to a more pass oriented offense after SB30 with Kordell and it didnt work out to well. But with the lose of Bettis and FWP's inability to carry the load the way the Steelers are used to, then I would guess Big Ben is gonna get his chance to have a big year. The pressures off to win a SB, they can relax and open it up. I see them throwing a lot of screens to FWP and if they got a WR with some speed, that offense would be unstoppable. I'm actually leaning on picking my first Steelers player in FF in a long long time, not counting the DEF of course.

Brady

p.Manning

e.Manning

Plummer

McNabb

Hassleback

Delhomme

--------------------

by draft day, we will have info  about these guys injuries:

Palmer

Culpepper

Bulger

Brees

Bledso

Warner

T.Green

Favre

Plenty of value there.
Roethlisberger?Seriosuly, I thought he'd be overrated right now, but to leave him off this list, I just don't get it.

He finished #16 in the league I have him, despite missing 4 games and playing with an injured thumb, on his throwing hand. I'd be very pleased if he fell to the 6th or 7th.

I can see grabbing peyton with a late 1st, early 2nd, or Brady or McNabb with a 4th. After that, I'll wait again.
Yep, big Ben was an over sight on my part.My bad.

Which really shows IMO, that there is PLENTY of QB depth. not a lack of, like the original poster said.

Green said in a interview last weekend that Edwards said he wasn't changing the offense at all. The offense has never been Kansas City's problem.

Tier 1:

Manning

Tier 2:

Brady

Hass

conservative HEAD coach, NOT a conservative OC..he worked under al saunders with the chiefs line..kc will be fine...i'd say trent green's #'s will rise in 2006...you have to remember, they kept gonzalez in to block an awful lot to help out in the absence of willie roaf(injured)..in games when roaf played, the chiefs offense excelled...roaf is coming back for 2006,the chiefs are likely to sign a free agent O-lineman( runyan? hutchingson?) and will certainly look to get a WR in the folds..

I think the predicted demise of the chiefs offense is a bit premature...yeah herm edwards sucks, but what were the pieces he was given to work with in NY? pennington, who can't throw the ball 5 yards downfield, wayne chrebet who can't see over the db's or even the refs for that matter, justin mcareins who is a mediocre player, stonehands slow-as-molasses-in-a-cold-january anthony becht..they let their best player, santana moss, go in a trade for Coles, and the jets lost out BIGTIME in that deal...and they let karim mckenzie go to the giants..

and don't forget, terry bradway is the worst GM in football NOT named MILLEN.

now herm coaches a team built by one of the best GM's in the game, carl peterson, the team has an offense with best o-line in football, a HOF TE, a bulldozer at RB, and a QB that is accurate and can throw the ball a country mile, and underrated eddie kennison with wicked speed on the outside..

they just need a good WR to add to the mix and they will one again be an elite offense...

I don't like herm edwards one bit, but its not like he had alot of talent to work with in NY, outside of C-mart ..

Eli Manning is not getting enough love. He was a top 5 QB THIS year in my league scoring system.

No reason to believe that he won't continue to progress, or at the very least perform similarly. Given all of the upheaval at the position, I believe that he definitely belongs in tier 2 with Hass and Brady.

Great numbers? Link?I'll say it again, without TO Mcnabb has been mediocre. The year before TO he had: 3216 yards and 16 Passing TD's - that's basically Jake Delhomme/Big Ben type numbers (although he did some damage on the ground). And his rushing stats have been going down for about 5 straight years now.

Buyer beware here.

The original poster said Hass is sure thing to finish in the top 3

There are only 3 sure things at QB next year

My impression of this is that Hass is a lock to finish in top 3 and I question this reasoning based on the fact he has never finished that high before. I am not doubting Hass's consistency and ability to produce
I guess it was a bit vague. My post had both intentions:consistency AND top 3. I have a hard time seeing anyone above these 3 next year.

another year of trent green being terribly undervalued. This guy constantly puts up great, consistent numbers but people dont even see him as a top 10 guy where thats where he finishes every year.

He hasnt gotten eye popping TD numbers in the past, and that may or might not change, but hes pretty much a lock for 4000 yards and around 20 td's. Hes the guy I would target in the mid-late rounds
:confused: T Green was terribly undervalued in 2005? His ADP was QB5. If QB5 was "undervalued", where did you rank him in 2005? QB2 or QB3?

Great numbers? Link?I'll say it again, without TO Mcnabb has been mediocre. The year before TO he had: 3216 yards and 16 Passing TD's - that's basically Jake Delhomme/Big Ben type numbers (although he did some damage on the ground). And his rushing stats have been going down for about 5 straight years now.

Buyer beware here.
He was injured and ineffective for the first half of that year, but take a look at his second-half numbers: 1909 passing yards, 142 rushing yards, 15 total TD (inc. 3 rushing), 4 INT. Projects to 3800 passing yards, 300 rushing yards, 30 TD, 8 INT.The year before that, he was the #1 QB in fantasy until his injury. In 10 games, he had 2289 passing yards, 464 rushing yards, 23 total TD (inc. 6 rushing), 6 INT. Project that out to 16 and you're talking 3660 passing yards, 740 rushing yards, 37 TDs, 10 INT. That was the year that Rich Gannon and Daunte Culpepper put up monster numbers, but McNabb's projected numbers would have left them in the dust.

Tier 1:

Manning

Tier 2:

Brady

Hass

As long as Wayne comes back, I still put Manning in Tier 1. But without a respect for Edge and the running game, his numbers will suffer.Brady and Hass will join Manning in Tier 1.

McNabb did just fine without TO before, and he has better talent at both TE (LJ Smith) and WR (Reggie Brown) then existed 3-4 years ago, when he was also a pro bowler.

Palmer, Culpepper, Bulger and Green I agree. As a result - Tier 3.

I'd put Brees in Tier 2.

Kerry Collins in Miami would be Tier 3.

Big Ben is Tier 3 since the offense favors the run in Pittsburgh.

Plummer needs more TDs to enter the Top 3 tiers.

Leftwich, if healthy, is Tier 3 given the youthful talent in Jacksonville.

But seriously - where is Kurt Warner? If Kurt plays 14-16 games, he's Tier 2 for certain.

Users who are viewing this thread