What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

These 3 RBs will finish top 30 but have ADPs of 60+ (1 Viewer)

DevilintheDetail

Footballguy
Here are three RBs that are hiding in plain sight - they are each being drafted outside of the top 60 RBs in standard scoring leagues but are poised to finish in the top 30 RBs.  

Josh Kelley (Chargers - ADP RB #61) - He's been a star in camp and looks to be in line to take over the Melvin Gordon role in this offense.  This team looks like it will be leaning on its defense and running game to win close games this year, and the between the tackles and goal line work will be valuable.  Justin Jackson is injured (again) and isn't built for the Gordon role.  That's why they drafted Kelley and he's showing he's ready to step in and perform on Day 1.  

Malcolm Brown (Rams - ADP RB #76) - Brown has been overlooked but he is the steady, reliable veteran that has the coaches' trust.  He is still #1 on the depth chart and projected by SI to be the starter for game 1.  The coaching staff has indicated that Akers still has a lot to learn and Henderson is hurt.  I think Brown will see the red zone / goal line work either way and has a clear line of sight to leading this RB group in fantasy points for the season.  

Chris Thompson (Jaguars - ADP RB #66) - Given the state of its defense, this team is going to be throwing the ball a ton this year and will be putting up points.  Chris Thompson is not only by far the best pass catching back they have on the roster, he is the best RB, full stop.  He is explosive and can run between the tackles as well.  Jay Gruden used him a ton back in Washington and will need to do so this year again.  As long as he stays healthy, he will be racking up fantasy points even in standard scoring leagues.

Just curious as to what value depth charts serve at this stage. Akers is listed at the top spot for the Rams. 

HEREHEREHERE, HERE

and I am sure many other places. Brown could carve out a bigger role, but for now the Rams RB situation is a bit of a mess. 

Just curious as to what value depth charts serve at this stage. Akers is listed at the top spot for the Rams. 

HEREHEREHERE, HERE

and I am sure many other places. Brown could carve out a bigger role, but for now the Rams RB situation is a bit of a mess. 
Eric Williams of Sports Illustrated predicts Malcolm Brown will start for the Rams in Week 1. (Sports Illustrated)

Fantasy Impact:

Second-year back Darrell Henderson remains sidelined with a hamstring injury, which has left Brown and rookie Cam Akers to split reps during most of training camp.

Last edited by a moderator:

HEREHEREHERE, HERE

Ourlads is usually quite solid when it comes to depth charts.  Combined with the SI prediction and reports out of camp, it sounds like Brown has the opportunity to start the season.  

HEREHEREHERE, HERE

I don’t have a link but I read today that they said he’s going to be the starter. Akers will obviously get work and might end up out-touching him but I believe he is going to get the first snap. 

I expect Brown to start week 1, but Akers will likely pass him soon enough when the rookie is ready. The team seems to like Brown, having matched an offer sheet a few years ago, but then went out and drafted Henderson and then Akers. Brown is serviceable enough to hold the seat warm, but that’s about it IMO.  

Any SF rb- Can’t go wrong picking up one of these guys. Whoever is getting the carries in that offense will produce as any shanahan/kubiak offense will. An injury to one of these guys bodes well for who is healthy. 

Snorkelson said:
Any SF rb- Can’t go wrong picking up one of these guys. Whoever is getting the carries in that offense will produce as any shanahan/kubiak offense will. An injury to one of these guys bodes well for who is healthy. 
Jet McKinnon...finally healthy...fast like Mostert and a good receiver.   

zamboni said:
I expect Brown to start week 1, but Akers will likely pass him soon enough when the rookie is ready. The team seems to like Brown, having matched an offer sheet a few years ago, but then went out and drafted Henderson and then Akers. Brown is serviceable enough to hold the seat warm, but that’s about it IMO.  

the thing i love about akers chances this year is his pass pro. watching a lot of all 22 recently, and the guy makes a lot of great reads and blocks. if a rookie can do that, it's often hard to keep them off the field.

Here are three RBs that are hiding in plain sight - they are each being drafted outside of the top 60 RBs in standard scoring leagues but are poised to finish in the top 30 RBs.  

Josh Kelley (Chargers - ADP RB #61) - He's been a star in camp and looks to be in line to take over the Melvin Gordon role in this offense.  This team looks like it will be leaning on its defense and running game to win close games this year, and the between the tackles and goal line work will be valuable.  Justin Jackson is injured (again) and isn't built for the Gordon role.  That's why they drafted Kelley and he's showing he's ready to step in and perform on Day 1.  

Malcolm Brown (Rams - ADP RB #76) - Brown has been overlooked but he is the steady, reliable veteran that has the coaches' trust.  He is still #1 on the depth chart and projected by SI to be the starter for game 1.  The coaching staff has indicated that Akers still has a lot to learn and Henderson is hurt.  I think Brown will see the red zone / goal line work either way and has a clear line of sight to leading this RB group in fantasy points for the season.  

Chris Thompson (Jaguars - ADP RB #66) - Given the state of its defense, this team is going to be throwing the ball a ton this year and will be putting up points.  Chris Thompson is not only by far the best pass catching back they have on the roster, he is the best RB, full stop.  He is explosive and can run between the tackles as well.  Jay Gruden used him a ton back in Washington and will need to do so this year again.  As long as he stays healthy, he will be racking up fantasy points even in standard scoring leagues.
Nice call on Brown.  Maybe even on Kelley too.  Thompson looks like a big miss, but good work on the other two guys.

Users who are viewing this thread