What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

They gotta do something about the reffing ?! (1 Viewer)

Sorry, but I think they got it wrong.

The guys in the booth were a microcosm of the call.  One was fixated on one aspect, that the defender cleanly grabbed and never bobbled the ball.   Steratore called it correctly, acknowledging that it was handled cleanly - but grabbed at the instant the nose of the ball makes solid contact with the ground.  By any historical measure, that ball is incomplete.

I recognize that "historical measures" has little significance when they change the rules more often than I change my sox.  

ETA: I also realize the ball can touch the ground as long as you have full control.  However, in the circumstances of that play, he puts his hands on the ball just before or when it hits the ground.  And, even if it is "just before", and the nose of the ball hits as it did, I don't think you can say the ground didn't assist in making the catch.
Valid argument..... would you call it one of the worst calls in NFL history?

in todays NFL...if you have control before before the ball touches the ground....it touching the ground doesn't matter...they determined he had control.....end of discussion...

Last edited by a moderator:
I really would love an exact explanation for why the Chiefs were allowed to elect to re-play the punt where they committed a personal foul and the Bills committed a 5 yard penalty. Buffalo had a similar (maybe even same) situation earlier this year and the rule was that a 15 yard personal foul overrides a 5 yard penalty and the 15 yard penalty is enforced from the spot of the foul and the receiving team (in that case the Bills) could not elect to replay the down.

in todays NFL...if you have control before before the ball touches the ground....it touching the ground doesn't matter...they determined he had control.....end of discussion...
Except that it wasn't clear on the replay we were shown.

I would argue if the ball was called incomplete on the field they would have let that stand.

Except that it wasn't clear on the replay we were shown.

I would argue if the ball was called incomplete on the field they would have let that stand.
exactly right and why the call on the field becomes so important in these inch by inch decisions...call on the field (he had control)....which they will defer to (because of replay/possible turnover so they let it play out) ....they will let it play out....and no official at full speed could possibly come in and definitively rule that incomplete....

I really would love an exact explanation for why the Chiefs were allowed to elect to re-play the punt where they committed a personal foul and the Bills committed a 5 yard penalty. Buffalo had a similar (maybe even same) situation earlier this year and the rule was that a 15 yard personal foul overrides a 5 yard penalty and the 15 yard penalty is enforced from the spot of the foul and the receiving team (in that case the Bills) could not elect to replay the down.
dont know for sure but they were both "live ball" ....so one team gained an advantage by running out of bounds to try and cover the punt...the other team got an advantage by blocking low....so it wasn't a live ball/dead ball situation.....it is a good question tho...

exactly right and why the call on the field becomes so important in these inch by inch decisions...call on the field (he had control)....which they will defer to (because of replay/possible turnover so they let it play out) ....they will let it play out....and no official at full speed could possibly come in and definitively rule that incomplete....
Is it possible to make a definitive ruling in real time?

And I think the replay showed that they couldn't have definitively ruled it that way.  I really don't think the call on the field should matter in this case.  The ball didn't move, but that doesn't mean he had control.  I think the replay showed that the ground was included in the process of the catch.

By any historical measure, that ball is incomplete.

I recognize that "historical measures" has little significance when they change the rules more often than I change my sox.  
This x 1000. They just make up and change rules as they go. For the past 100 years that was incomplete.

It’s just like how hey changed the rules to nobody having any idea what a catch was for about 6 years and then went to everything is a catch in the ATL/NE super bowl and going forward. 

I honestly think they love the controversy. It gets clicks and gets everyone talking about it, even people who are casual fans. 

It’s the WWE now. 

Users who are viewing this thread