What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thomas vs. Dez Bryant (1 Viewer)

People come to rash conclusions waaaay to quickly... same thing on the AJ&Julio thread.

Why is it so hard to appreciate all of them because they all have super stud talent imo.

Both have been top 5 for me for a while now. At this point though, I wouldn't deal DT straight up for any player in PPR dynasty. And you'd have to add a hell of a lot for me to deal a guy like DT to some of the more consensus top 10 WRs.
AJ Green>>>>>>>>>>>>DT>>Dez
That's your opinion. For me, the difference between top 5 horses: DT, AJ, Julio, Calvin, Dez is splitting hairs.. all top 8 dynasty picks in my book. I certainly don't see this >>>>>>> gap between any of them. I suppose I'm higher on Dez than most but even removing him from the equation, what warrants the >>>>>>> between AJ and DT?

I'm so ####### mad I traded away Dez. :wall:
I don't think anyone can really blame you i been a long time dyno owner myself but just never gave in to trading the guy, even through his problems. This season he has shown me glimpse of some growth both in asking for team help with his life and his work on his routes so with that should of came the stats which is what we are seeing now imo.

Traded Dez and Cam away for Colston. Sort of bummed about it because Colston has cooled off and Dez has blown up, but I don't like Dez. Loss, but not a total loss. Who did you get in return?

Traded Dez and Cam away for Colston. Sort of bummed about it because Colston has cooled off and Dez has blown up, but I don't like Dez. Loss, but not a total loss. Who did you get in return?
I traded Dez for Aaron Hernandez in a dynasty. I have been waiting on Finley for far too long, and my WRs are pretty deep -- we start three, and I've got D.Thomas, Vjax, and Colston as my weekly starters. Figured I could afford to give up a WR to get a legit top dynasty TE. Of course, in retrospect, I'd much rather have DT, VJax, and Dez as a pretty studly dynasty WR trio, and go fishing for some bum TE on the waiver wire, especially after Dez has gone bananas the couple weeks since I traded him, and Hernandez did jack squat this week.

Traded Dez and Cam away for Colston. Sort of bummed about it because Colston has cooled off and Dez has blown up, but I don't like Dez. Loss, but not a total loss.
No offense but I don't see how you are justifying this trade.
No offense but I don't know what you're saying.
Prob that u made a terrible trade? One of the worst I've seen in a loooong time if I being honest.

For those down on Dez...compare his stats in his first 3 years to anyone. Megatron, Fitz etc... Add in that he's a knucklehead who is still learning, and its impossible to not like his upside.

For those down on Dez...compare his stats in his first 3 years to anyone. Megatron, Fitz etc... Add in that he's a knucklehead who is still learning, and its impossible to not like his upside.
Okay, let's. Fitzgerald- 463.0 fantasy points through 3 years (13th all time)Calvin- 451.5 fantasy points through 3 years (15th all time)Dez (prorating this season to 16 games)- 393.9 fantasy points through 3 years (39th all time)

Just a PSA - someone does not have to be "down on Dez" to like DT better. If I had Dez ranked WR8 in dynasty and DT WR4, I'd be explaining why I liked DT better than Dez. That still means I rank Dez ahead of all but 7 WRs in the entire league. HTH.

To be honest though - I have Dez in the WR11-15 range for dynasty.

Fitz 24 TDs

Calvin 21 TD's

Dez 19 with 5 games to go.

He's gonna be good especially when he isn't a knucklehead anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Fodasme69 said:
'flapgreen said:
'JPeso said:
Traded Dez and Cam away for Colston. Sort of bummed about it because Colston has cooled off and Dez has blown up, but I don't like Dez. Loss, but not a total loss.
No offense but I don't know what you're saying.
Prob that u made a terrible trade? One of the worst I've seen in a loooong time if I being honest.
:lmao:

Fitz 24 TDsCalvin 21 TD'sDez 19 with 5 games to go.He's gonna be good especially when he isn't a knucklehead anymore.
Braylon Edwards 25 TDsLee Evans 24 TDs Roy Williams 23 TDsChris Chambers 21 TDs That's far from a sure thing at this point. Especially the part about him one day not being a knucklehead anymore.

Fitz 24 TDsCalvin 21 TD'sDez 19 with 5 games to go.He's gonna be good especially when he isn't a knucklehead anymore.
Braylon Edwards 25 TDsLee Evans 24 TDs Roy Williams 23 TDsChris Chambers 21 TDs That's far from a sure thing at this point. Especially the part about him one day not being a knucklehead anymore.
He passes the eyeball test over any of these guys. Despite the knucklehead factor.

He passes the eyeball test over any of these guys. Despite the knucklehead factor.
I think you're dramatically underrating how much those guys passed the eyeball test. Each of them, after their third season, was rated higher in dynasty rankings than Dez is right now. Maybe with the possible exception of Evans, although that'd be a pretty close call either way.

I think you're dramatically underrating how much those guys passed the eyeball test. Each of them, after their third season, was rated higher in dynasty rankings than Dez is right now. Maybe with the possible exception of Evans, although that'd be a pretty close call either way.
:goodposting: Evans was high up there after that big year. I had Fitzgerald, Roy, and Evans and thought I was set for the next ten years.

'JPeso said:
In redraft? Not that big of a gap, if any. Colston will be just fine. I would argue that he has been more consistent as well.If you need a steady presence, then Colston should be your guy. If you need that swing for the fences type player, then Bryant may be better.

No offense but I don't see how you are justifying this tr ade.
this has probably been one of the worst trades in recent memory
It can't be that far off from the worst. And the guy i traded is still not.making the playoffss.

So would I, but I've been wrong before. My problem has never been one poster's preference of one guy over the other but the gall to think this was 'simply' decided. They're both having great years at age 24 and both look to have fine careers ahead of them.By the way Dez Bryant is now sandwiched inbetween a couple guys named AJ Green and Brandon Marshall for YAC now. The only thing separating Thomas and Bryant stats-wise is a few yards per catch.

So would I, but I've been wrong before. My problem has never been one poster's preference of one guy over the other but the gall to think this was 'simply' decided. They're both having great years at age 24 and both look to have fine careers ahead of them.By the way Dez Bryant is now sandwiched inbetween a couple guys named AJ Green and Brandon Marshall for YAC now. The only thing separating Thomas and Bryant stats-wise is a few yards per catch.
But Dez is still the guy who's waaay more likely to either cause you headaches or cause his career to implode. Still Thomas for me. Especially if Manning continues to follow through on his pledge to get Thomas the ball more (10 targets).

But Dez is still the guy who's waaay more likely to either cause you headaches or cause his career to implode. Still Thomas for me. Especially if Manning continues to follow through on his pledge to get Thomas the ball more (10 targets).
There's still a risk of that, I agree, but he's getting to the point where he's going to keep getting chances no matter who he alienates. How many times did TO find a new team?

:lmao: :goodposting: 2 fn weeks ago I threw in the towel.
####!He's been an absolute animal since I traded him. God I loathe fantasy football.
Yup. Sickening. Him and DT would have been a nice wr duo for my team going into next year.I suck. I used to be good. Having 2 kids killed my acumen.
:ptts: Dude - don't blame your kids. I have 3 kids and I kept DT. :thumbup:

:lmao: :goodposting: 2 fn weeks ago I threw in the towel.
####!He's been an absolute animal since I traded him. God I loathe fantasy football.
Yup. Sickening. Him and DT would have been a nice wr duo for my team going into next year.I suck. I used to be good. Having 2 kids killed my acumen.
:ptts: Dude - don't blame your kids. I have 3 kids and I kept DT. :thumbup:
I kept DT also. I traded Dez the week he started this explosion.

Dez is a monster. He gets so much attention, especially in the redzone, but he keeps scoring touchdowns, on top of his great reception/yardage production.

Even a few weeks ago I would have taken Thomas over Dez in dynasty formats, as he is safer. But I wouldn't move Dez for anyone but Calvin/Green, right now. It's a fun time to be a Dez owner.

That short catch and run as he bullied DRC into the end zone last night made me think he channeled his inner Michael Irvin.

I posted when he was in his bye week that I thought it was time to buy because I thought I could see it all starting to come together and click and I have to say I didn't see it coming together this well. But it's obvious: he is a rare talent. the things he can do reminds you of a lot of the greats on different plays. Thomas just continues to impress also but I have to say I think that is more Manning than it Thomas. some of the throws Manning is making right now are just stupefying. So, I'm splitting hairs on which drop-dead gorgeous twin is prettier, but I tend to give Dez a bit more credit right now because I think he has the lesser of the two QBs, teams, etc and even though I know Thomas can make big plays just like Dez does, I tend to watch Thomas and think "Man, that's a great play" but I watch Dez sometimes and see glimpses of "WOWWWW!"

That short catch and run as he bullied DRC into the end zone last night made me think he channeled his inner Michael Irvin.I posted when he was in his bye week that I thought it was time to buy because I thought I could see it all starting to come together and click and I have to say I didn't see it coming together this well. But it's obvious: he is a rare talent. the things he can do reminds you of a lot of the greats on different plays. Thomas just continues to impress also but I have to say I think that is more Manning than it Thomas. some of the throws Manning is making right now are just stupefying. So, I'm splitting hairs on which drop-dead gorgeous twin is prettier, but I tend to give Dez a bit more credit right now because I think he has the lesser of the two QBs, teams, etc and even though I know Thomas can make big plays just like Dez does, I tend to watch Thomas and think "Man, that's a great play" but I watch Dez sometimes and see glimpses of "WOWWWW!"
Yeah, I think you are splitting hairs. Thomas has made some great catches where you realize he has a lot of talent, like Dez. Sometimes Manning makes great throws like this week, but Romo can as well. Remember Dez's almost game winning catch agains the Cowboys? That was phenomenal, but that was not a bad throw either. Romo may make horrible decisions and isn't as good a "QB" as Manning, but he can make the throws. Don't forget on Dez's TD how much Romo had to move around before making the throw. Romo adds a lot in terms of making defenders miss that can create the separation for Dez that might not be there for a less mobile QB.That said, Dez is playing better now than I thought he would, but seeing as how I kept another player and drafted Thomas where I would have kept Dez, I am also happy I did that. In FF, I would rank Thomas as high as Dez and honestly, would probably rather have him with Manning. The Cowboys have been terrible in the 1st half and have had to sling it all day long in the second halves whereas Thomas has been getting his points all game long. If Murray is healthy next year and the Cowboys defense stays healthy and plays to its potential, Dez may not have some of the games he's had when they are down 2-3 TDs in the 1st half.

If Murray is healthy next year and the Cowboys defense stays healthy and plays to its potential, Dez may not have some of the games he's had when they are down 2-3 TDs in the 1st half.
If Dez is going to keep this TD production up, he needs the Cowboys to be able to run in the redzone. I think that helps his production, rather than hinder it. He gets so much attention in the redzone - often bracket coverage. A lot of his TDs, like last night, are not the traditional fade/jumpball targets, due to the attention he gets. The Cowboys being a well oiled machine helps everyone, except maybe Witten, who gets a lot of targets that the WRs don't, due to the line not providing the WRs time to get open beyond 10 yards. As a dynasty owner, obviously both are great. And I don't want to claim Manning makes Thomas; he did just fine with Tebow, and will do just fine in any situation. But so will Dez, who I think is the better football player. If he really is putting it all together mentally, or even enough to stay on the field, he'll be nearly as productive as anyone.

Been a fan of both for a while. Both of them are on my list of untradeable players in dynasty leagues.

I wouldn't trade DT for Dez though. He's more of a size/speed freak and has about 150 more receiving yards on the same number of targets.

What are we thinking for week 15? Dez vs. Pittsburgh has me worried, but i dont know that I can sit him if he keeps this up. (ill be agonizing over vjax vs. NO or Dez). Argh.

What are we thinking for week 15? Dez vs. Pittsburgh has me worried, but i dont know that I can sit him if he keeps this up. (ill be agonizing over vjax vs. NO or Dez). Argh.
I feel better seeing Ike Taylor in a walking boot and an MRI scheduled.

A huge factor to consider in this 3 game Dez explosion is the Cowboys have been getting beat up on early in all these games. Always nice to be in catchup mode for a full half.

A huge factor to consider in this 3 game Dez explosion is the Cowboys have been getting beat up on early in all these games. Always nice to be in catchup mode for a full half.
They weren't in catchup move against Cleveland or the Eagles; losing <> catchup mode. And that is simply the way the Cowboys play football. last night, they ran plenty, and Dez got enough targets to be very productive.

They weren't in catchup move against Cleveland or the Eagles; losing <> catchup mode. And that is simply the way the Cowboys play football. last night, they ran plenty, and Dez got enough targets to be very productive.
Agree. They were trailing but it was nothing like their position in the Redskins game. The Cowboys ran a ton last night (for them) and Witten got a lot of targets and Dez still had an impressive stat line. I think of it more like the Patriots or saints or Falcons; there are just some teams that are going to be productive enough throwing the ball to warrant the player starting in almost any matchup.

Users who are viewing this thread