What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** THURSDAY CUT THREAD *** (1 Viewer)

Also Jeb Putzier

Broncos cut three prominent players

Financial considerations force cut of Pryce, Anderson, Putzier

Click here to view a larger image. Photo illustration © News

2:01 p.m. The financial reality caused in large part by the NFL's failed labor talks has hit home, with the Denver Broncos releasing three prominent players today in order to comply with the salary cap in time for the start of free agency. Defensive end Trevor Pryce, right, running back Mike Anderson, left, and tight end Jeb Putzier all will be looking for jobs when the new league year begins later this week.

By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News

March 1, 2006

The financial reality caused in large part by the NFL's failed labor talks has hit home: The Denver Broncos released three prominent players today to comply with the salary cap in time for the start of free agency.

Defensive end Trevor Pryce, running back Mike Anderson and tight end Jeb Putzier all will be looking for jobs when the NFL's new year begins later this week. Getting rid of the three players will result in a total salary-cap savings of $15 million for the team, including $8.53 million for Pryce, $3.9 million for Putzier and $2.57 million for Anderson.

Because of the impasse between the league and players union on an extension of the collective-bargaining agreement, teams will have less wiggle room to keep their own players, and widescale cuts are expected around the league. Denver isn't expected to release any other players this week.

The salary-cap is expected to be set between $92 million and $96 million instead of a figure that might have risen as high as $108 million had there been labor peace. Denver entered Wednesday with $114 million in salary-cap commitments but now should be in compliance, even while still negotiating behind the scenes on other deals.

Denver is continuing to work toward a revised contract for defensive end Courtney Brown that will reduce his cap outlay from a scheduled $3.75 million.

Talks also are ongoing with two critical pending free agents. Left tackle Matt Lepsis and defensive tackle Gerard Warren had deals that were set to void but, for accounting purposes, still were applied to the team's top 51 salaries used for salary-cap compliance. Those contracts will drop off the books Friday, and the team hopes to reduce their combined hit of more than $15 million to more palatable figures before free agency begins.

That could allow the team to keep other Broncos set to hit the open market. Running back Ron Dayne, whose importance rises now that Anderson has been released, long-snapper Mike Leach and linebacker Keith Burns all are expected to return. Those players can't re-sign with Denver until Friday at the earliest, per league rules, because of the cap-friendly, one-year deals each signed last spring

Last edited by a moderator:
can we sticky this thread and consolodate it with their corresponding cap-savings? That would be sweet.

looks like the sell high time for anderson is over.
You never know. He could pull a Droughns (albeit obviously not a trade) and wind up somewhere else. His days as a feature back may have been over in Denver anyway.

do not rule out the Broncos re-signing Anderson and Pryce. I think the odds are that both will be wearing orange again soon.

Trevor Pryce

Mike Anderson
Mike Anderson, of the Broncos?
Yes
:wall: Thank you Skeletor for just killing my trade. :rant:

On a more humble note: I guess this mean they will be drafting a RB or bringing one in.
I see them resigning him for a lower cap number. He fits well there, and IMHO he is a loyal guy that will want to play his entire career in one place.
I certainly hope this is the case. :thumbup:

As I said in another thread, everything we thought we knew about the FF value of a huge number of players is going to be rocked ...

... not just from these cuts, but for the players on other teams that may lose their starting gigs/get their playing time cut when these guys sign elsewhere ...

Or, it's now buy low time. I'd love to see him in a Panther's uniform next year.
sure, but only as depth. at his age, i doubt anyone brings him in to start. Dayne is looking more interesting by the moment.

Or, it's now buy low time. I'd love to see him in a Panther's uniform next year.
sure, but only as depth. at his age, i doubt anyone brings him in to start. Dayne is looking more interesting by the moment.
Mike Anderson cut puts this in context ...Broncos | Dayne to carry the load?

Wed, 1 Mar 2006 11:05:33 -0800

Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports Denver Broncos RB Ron Dayne has a "good" chance to eventually handle the load in the backfield, according to general manager Ted Sundquist. Dayne's advantages are his size, foot quickness and acceleration off the cut. Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak, who previously served as the Broncos' offensive coordinator, agreed with Sundquist's assessments and added that Dayne's chances will be better if he has another solid offseason conditioning program that is aimed at keeping his weight down and an increase in stamina.

The face of the upcoming fantasy football season is going to change DRAMATICALLY in the next 24 hours.

Pryce played extremely well last year -- he will attract a lot of attention.

I would think Cleveland, which has a ton of cap room, will be all over him.

Agreed.

He'd look good in Black and Gold. Dayne need to be signed also.
03/01/06 01:58 PMTHE NEWS

The Broncos have yet to re-sign free agent Ron Dayne, yet to restructure Mike Anderson's contract, and yet to draft their annual rookie runner, but general manager Ted Sundquist has already declaring the starting running back job an open competition and Dayne one of the candidates, the Rocky Mountain News reports.

:wall:

The Broncos have yet to re-sign free agent Ron Dayne, yet to restructure Mike Anderson's contract, and yet to draft their annual rookie runner, but general manager Ted Sundquist has already declaring the starting running back job an open competition and Dayne one of the candidates, the Rocky Mountain News reports.

open competition b/w Dayne, Bell, Cobbs, and a rookie to be named later.Should be fun to watch.

:lmao: and here we go again...

:lmao: and here we go again...
This is why I traded Bell last year and were about to get rid of Anderson and Dayne is available in FA in our league. I'm not falling for this again, no way.

open competition b/w Dayne, Bell, Cobbs, and a rookie to be named later.

Should be fun to watch.
Cobbs? Do you really think he has a shot? (serious question - not being sarcastic)
Dude, its Denver. Any RB on the roster has a shot. If the mascot can make a good first cut, he has a shot.

One thing I think players are not taking into consideration: with high spending teams like the Redskins and Broncos up against the cap and with little ability to spread out the cap hits, there will be a lot less money available for free agents. That means players will be forced to accept minimal contracts or not play.

Teams that are well under the cap will have a field day signing free agents on the cheap.

The Bills have released:

Defensive tackle Sam Adams

Tight end Mark Campbell

Safety Lawyer Milloy

I would love for the Eagles to make a push for Pryce...he's got the kind of size we need on the line. :yes:

open competition b/w Dayne, Bell, Cobbs, and a rookie to be named later.Should be fun to watch.
THIS JUST IN:Not only will there be an open competition in the Denver backfield. But apparently Minnesota has decided to "one-up" the Broncos by having their own open competition which includes the names of:

Mewelde Moore

Onterrio Smith

Moe Williams

Michael Bennett

Ciatrick Fason

Daunte Culpepper's mom, gradmother Elouise, and uncle Tyrone who has just been released on bond.

Ricky Williams

Maurice Morris

Edgerrin James

Jamal Lewis

Fred Taylor

Ahman Green

T.J. Duckett

Mike Anderson

Tony Hollings

Tony Richardson

Shaun Alexander

Travis Henry

DeAngelo Williams?

Joseph Addai?

Laurence Maroney?

Lendale White?

This should be fun! Maybe even better than last year! :excited: :X

Should be fun to watch.
Cobbs? Do you really think he has a shot? (serious question - not being sarcastic)
Dude, its Denver. Anyone on the roster has a shot. If the mascot can make a good first cut, he has a shot.
:thumbup: Ron Dayne.......5 YPC last year.
On 53 carries. And one of them went for 55 against the Cowboys. So in his other 52 carries he had a 4.1 ypc. IMO, Dayne would not come close to a 5.0 ypc with a full workload across a 16 game season.

Should be fun to watch.
Dude, its Denver. Anyone on the roster has a shot. If the mascot can make a good first cut, he has a shot.
:thumbup: Ron Dayne.......5 YPC last year.
On 53 carries. And one of them went for 55 against the Cowboys. So in his other 52 carries he had a 4.1 ypc. IMO, Dayne would not come close to a 5.0 ypc with a full workload across a 16 game season.
he might average 5.0 yop to and from the fridge ..............

Dolphins | McIntosh released

Wed, 1 Mar 2006 14:14:57 -0800

Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports the Miami Dolphins have released OLT Damion McIntosh, who was due to earn $4.425 million in salary for 2006. The move saves the Dolphins about $4.48 million in cap room.

Users who are viewing this thread