What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** THURSDAY CUT THREAD *** (1 Viewer)

GRIDIRON ASSASSIN

Footballguy
From KFFL.com:

Updating previous reports, Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the break down in negotiations over a new collective bargaining could cause what one general manager called "Bloody Thursday."

With the projected salary cap expected to fall between $95 million to $96 million, some big-name players might get released by Thursday, March 2, as teams comply with the salary cap. An AFC team executive said, "In past years, you'd see a lot of guys released who maybe still had some name value, but who were really in decline in terms of production. This year? People are going to be stunned -- not just by the quantity of players who are cut by Thursday, but by the quality, too. It's going to be ugly. There's going to be blood in the streets and, compared to past years, it's going to be from some bluebloods, guys who can still play."

of they'll sign a new collective bargaining agreement at the 11th hour...one or the other

:P

good news for my vikes who have the most money to spend

any names being mentioned yet?
If their is no new CBA then the Vike's along with every other small market team will pay dearly within a few years. If I were you I would wipe that :P off of your face, and start praying.

If their is no new CBA then the Vike's along with every other small market team will pay dearly within a few years. If I were you I would wipe that :P off of your face, and start praying.
IMO this would only be for this year, i dont think the nfl will get to the point where small market teams would suffer, i think it will be resolved next offseason. so :D :D :D :D

Yea, the Vikings have no foresight or proffesionals in the front office that will plan for the future. They will just spend like mad!!!!!!!!!

I guess your team is in trouble and will suffer a a hit and it pisses you off. The Vikes will do the right thing and hopefully take advantage of the situation if it arises.

Salary Cap figures.

I found this link, but a lot is dependant upon how many of the teams own free agents have to be resigned:

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

Best to Worst Shape, top to bottom

UNDER the Cap:

1 Cleveland Browns $31 M

Considering the lack of star power in Cleveland it should come as no surprise that they are in excellent cap shape. With the well publicized front office discord that occurred at the conclusion of the season, it will be interesting to see if the team is willing to spend some money this off-season -- and if so, how will they spend it?

2 Arizona Cardinals $30 M

With all of the cap room the Cardinals have, the first thing they need to do is figure out what to do with their QB situation as both Josh McCown and Kurt Warner are set to become free agents. Of course, the Cardinals could decide to go in a different direction entirely.

3 Minnesota Vikings $24 M

Despite everything else that's gone wrong in the twin cities this year -- from ticket scalping to waving goodbye to Randy to taking trips on the love boat to watching an All Pro QB blow out his knee -- the Vikings continue to do a good job in managing their cap. With Tice gone, here's hoping that new head coach, Brad Childress, can convince ownership to spend some of that money on filling some holes -- and retaining some key free agents.

4 Green Bay Packers $22 M

The Packers are sure to endure one of the wildest off-seasons in the club's history. Will Brett Favre stay or will he go? There are a good 7 million reasons (or dollars) why he may want to come back. Even so, the Packers have plenty of cap room to bring him in some reinforcements along the OL and a quality (er, healthy) RB to boot.

5 San Diego Chargers $21 M

Give A.J. Smith credit for doing a better job of managing the cap than his mentor, the late John Butler, did. The Chargers have ample room to once again hang onto Drew Brees and Phil Rivers if they so choose.

6 Seattle Seahawks $21 M

If the Seahawks choose not to sign reigning MVP Shaun Alexander to a long term contract it won't be because they don't have the cap room to do it.

7 San Francisco 49ers $18 M

Remember when the Niners were in cap jail just a few years ago? Well, that is a thing of the past now thanks to cheap ownership. While the good news is that they won't be getting back into cap trouble, the bad news is that they are likely to be bogged down with a team loaded with inferior talent for years to come.

8 Jacksonville Jaguars $17 M

Much like the Bengals, the Jaguars are a quality young team with plenty of cap room to continue to improve the team's base corps.

9 Chicago Bears $17 M

Chicago, too, is following the trend we've seen set by good young head coaches who have placed their stamp on their teams by putting together a quality, a young roster. In case you haven't noticed, "young" also means "inexpensive".

10 Cincinnati Bengals $16 M

This number, includes Carson Palmer's contract extension, which paid out $15 M in guaranteed, up-front money and will pay him a base of $6.75 M in 2006. Clearly the Bengals, who made the playoffs this year for the first time in 15 years, have done a nice job bringing along their young talent -- and they appear to be financially strong enough to contend for a number of years.

11 St. Louis Rams $16 M

Whoever takes over for Mike Martz will at least inherit a healthy cap situation. Considering all of the holes that the Rams have to fill on defense, that money may not go as far as you think.

12 Baltimore Ravens $15 M

Despite all of the on-field problems that the Ravens had this year, they remain in good cap shape. The front office as led by Ozzie Newsome has been very prudent in not throwing too much cash at players. Case in point: only 13 players are scheduled to have a base salary exceeding $1 M. The Ravens have some questions to answer at RB, as both Jamal Lewis and Chester Taylor are set to become free agents.

13 Houston Texans $14 M

All indications are that GM Charlie Casserly will exercise the $8 M option to bring David Carr back in 2006. Maybe he should spend some of the leftover cap money on an offensive line that may be able to protect this investment.

14 Buffalo Bills $10 M

Underachieving RT (or is it LG?) Mike Williams is set to count about $10.8 M against the cap, as is veteran WR Eric Moulds. Look for the team to approach both players to take a paycut. Kudos to Robert Balistreri, who has done a master job of tracking the Bills' cap situation. Check out his excellent website here.

15 New Orleans Saints $10 M

There are so many question marks surround the poor New Orleans Saints, that we do not wish to add to that any further here. Whoever the new head coach is going to be will be inheriting a pretty good roster and a decent cap situation, which may even get better if the team elects to release Aaron Brooks, who is set to makeover $6M in base salary in 2006. The flip side of the coin is that the team has some quality free agents (such as Darren Howard) that they must try to re-sign.

16 Detroit Lions $9 M

Assuming the Fords do not cave to fan pressure and continue to mark time with Matt Millen, the Lions head into the off-season in pretty decent cap shape. Interestingly, the player set to receive the biggest series of paychecks in 2006 is none other than Joey Harrington, whose future with the team remains in doubt.

17 Philadelphia Eagles $7 M

Once each team's cap is properly adjusted to account for likely to be earned bonus money that was accounted for against the 2005 cap -- but never actually awarded to the player(s) -- you can fully expect the Eagles to have a great deal more cap room. After all, they've been playing this little trick for years. Also, it's no secret by now that they will be releasing TO in the coming weeks. Of course, with the unamortized portion of his original $10 M signing bonus escalating against the cap, that may not be a cap saver.

18 NY Giants $3 M

The Giants should have plenty of options when it comes to freeing up some cap space. For example, with so many big time skill position players, guess which player will have the highest base salary in 2006. Eli? Not even close. What about Tiki? Nope. Mike Strahan you ask? Wrong answer! Believe it or not, the NY Giant with the highest base salary heading into 2006 is Luke Petitgout!

19 Dallas Cowboys $2 M

The Cowboys learned the hard way how a once-proud championship team can crumble overnight due to the restrictions of the salary cap. They appear to be heading into 2006 in pretty good shape.

20 New England Patriots $0

The Patriots have done such a fantastic job picking late in the draft every year that they haven't had to rely on overpaying free agents. Bill Belichick also seems to have a nose for knowing when to release his high priced veterans at just the right time.

21 Indianapolis Colts $0

The Colts will once again have to make a decision about what to do with Edgerrin James. Since he's guaranteed to make 20% more than he did last year, it is highly unlikely that GM Bill Polian and the Colts will be able to absorb that price tag, as they are right at the projected cap marker. The question is whether or not they'll consider giving him a long-term contract.

OVER the Cap

22 Carolina Panthers $-1000000

If you recall, two years ago, right after the Panthers' Super Bowl season, they found themselves in some cap trouble. They took their medicine then -- and suffered through a tough 2004 season. A year later, they've managed to catapult back into the playoffs and have their cap situation in a manageable situation.

23 Pittsburgh Steelers $-4 M

The Steelers cap condition is not as bad as it appears. For example, all indications are that Jerome Bettis will be calling it quits at the end of this season. The Bus is scheduled to make a little over $5.35 M in base salary alone in 2006.

24 Miami Dolphins $-5 M

Yes, the Dolphins are projected to be a bit over the cap heading into 2006. However, it's a far cry from last season, where they were so far over that they had to go on a frenzy cutting veteran players. A few prudent moves should easily get them where they need to be, although we don't expect them to be highly active in free agency.

25 Tampa Bay Buccaneers $-8 M

The Bucs ended the regular season with the #1 defense in the NFL. Small wonder, then, that 6 of the 7 highest paid players on the team heading into 2006 play on the defensive side of the ball. That 7th player, Brian Griese, could very well become a cap casualty, considering the emergence of Chris Simms. Of course, the team must make a decision on Simms too, as he is set to become a restricted free agent in March.

26 Atlanta Falcons $-9.908 M

The Falcons have one of the best defensive front-sevens in the NFL -- and they pay dearly for it, as five of their top eight players are either linebacker or defensive linemen. In fact, their three highest paid players heading into 2006 are DL Patrick Kerney (almost $5 M base), LB Keith Brooking, and DL Roderick Coleman.

27 Tennessee Titans $-10 M

The poor Titans had to do so much house cleaning last year that they were left with a severely undermanned squad in 2005. From the looks of things, there will be more cost cutting to do in 2006.

28 Washington Redskins $-20 M

As usual the Redskins look to be one of the primary offenders heading into the new year. The team's tendency to rework contracts over and over again has made them a poster child for the "mortgage the future for today" mantra. A good case in point is Lavar Arrington, whose base salary in 2006 jumps from $545 K to $2 M. And that doesn't even count a huge roster bonus he is set to earn.

29 Kansas City Chiefs $-22 M

With the Chiefs in clear cap trouble, we find it interesting that the new head coach appears to be Herm Edwards, who just happens to be leaving the team with arguably the worst cap situation in the NFL.

30 Denver Broncos $-26 M

The Broncos were built to win in 2005 -- as their precarious cap situation heading into next season isn't pretty.

31 NY Jets $-29 M

Obviously the Jets are really in bad shape here. If the team elects to keep Chad Pennington, they will have to fork over a $3M roster bonus. With a $6 M base salary -- and nearly $4M in this year's bonus proration -- they clearly cannot afford to keep him under the existing contract. However, it will cost them (cap-wise) about $10 M just to cut him. And they can forget about franchising John Abraham again. Expect the cost-cutting to begin soon. No wonder Herm Edwards wants to head to Kansas City!

32 Oakland Raiders $-30 M

Didn't we go through this drill last year, when the Raiders were in such bad cap shape that they almost couldn't afford to cut anybody? Last year Rich Gannon came to the rescue by reworking his contract to get the team under the cap -- and then retiring. Who will help out this year?

Thanks Grid for posting, all just be aware that the above is not up to date. e.g. first glance shows Texans with a ? on whether to pick up Carr's option and Bills not having dropped Mike Williams

From KFFL.com:

Updating previous reports, Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the break down in negotiations over a new collective bargaining could cause what one general manager called "Bloody Thursday."

With the projected salary cap expected to fall between $95 million to $96 million, some big-name players might get released by Thursday, March 2, as teams comply with the salary cap. An AFC team executive said, "In past years, you'd see a lot of guys released who maybe still had some name value, but who were really in decline in terms of production. This year? People are going to be stunned -- not just by the quantity of players who are cut by Thursday, but by the quality, too. It's going to be ugly. There's going to be blood in the streets and, compared to past years, it's going to be from some bluebloods, guys who can still play."
This will be the case because these particular players have a lot of unamortized signing bonuses. However, once these players are released, their is no reason the same team will not resign the same player with a large amount of guaranteed annual salary in 2007 when the league is uncapped.

Here is the latest albeit incomplete from Peter King MMQB dated Monday 26th

Assuming a new deal doesn't get done this week, and assuming the cap will be $95 million, here are the teams with the most money available entering the free agent market, according to salary-cap documents as of late last week:

1. Minnesota: $24.1 million

2. Arizona: $23.6 million

3. Green Bay: $20.7 million

4. Cleveland: $20.1 million

5. San Diego: $17.4 million

6. San Francisco: $16.5 million

7. Baltimore: $16.1 million

8. Seattle: $15.7 million

9. Jacksonville: $15.3 million

10. Cincinnati: $14.0 million

11. St. Louis: $11.1 million

12. New Orleans: $10.5 million

Teams in trouble? The Raiders are $29.9 million over the projected cap. (Getting down won't be impossible because of easily erasable contract-inflating clauses, such as the $8 million bonus due to wideout Ronald Curry. Such a bonus can be canceled and Curry, should he choose to stay, would sign a near-minimum contract, counting for an $8.4 million savings for Oakland.) The Jets have to shave $29.2 million and started doing so late in the week by rejiggering the contracts of heavy-money guys like Curtis Martin. Kansas City ($120.2 million), Washington ($120.2), Denver ($119.6 million), Tampa Bay ($109.6 million), Tennessee ($109.5 million) and Atlanta ($108.0 million) need to see the light. And fast.

"We're holding our breath in these negotiations,'' Washington coach Joe Gibbs said. "It's hugely important for us, and for lots of teams.''

Lest you think teams can just sign players to huge signing bonuses, as has been the case in most early free agency periods, and spread the pro-rated deals over many years, that's a thing of the past, too. Signing bonuses can now be spread over only four years, which means if a team signs James to a rich deal, it's likely to have fewer guarantees than in the past.

So I know you think free agency has been like a mid-winter Christmas gift in the past few years. But now, there's going to be a load of tantalizing free agents and very few teams out there moving heaven and earth to sign them. It's a sea change.

"I hope it's a big edge for us,'' Arizona coach Dennis Green said. "I hope we can sell the fact that we've got money and not a lot of teams do. We'll be aggressive on the guys we want.''

They'll be in the minority, unless a new deal's done in the next 48 hours.

I thought I read somewhere that Detroit got 11.75 million in cap relief from S. Rogers unaccomplished special teams incentives. I'm not a salary cap guru, but wouldn't that put them at 20.25 million under or doesn't that figure directly affect the cap number?

I thought I read somewhere that Detroit got 11.75 million in cap relief from S. Rogers unaccomplished special teams incentives. I'm not a salary cap guru, but wouldn't that put them at 20.25 million under or doesn't that figure directly affect the cap number?
Probably not included. I believe the above poster clarified the link was a week old and the Lions' news came out about a week ago. Your assumption of 20.25 million available for the Lions is probably correct.

From ESPN:

How drastic? There continue to be rumors the Washington Redskins, who extended numerous contracts in the past to deal with previous cap crunches, could have to play with 20 rookies on the roster in 2006. On Tuesday night in Atlanta, there were rumblings the Falcons, who aren't in nearly the dire straits some other franchises are, might be forced to release tailback Warrick Dunn, who rushed for a career best 1,416 yards in 2005. The Kansas City Chiefs could part ways with perennial Pro Bowl guard Will Shields if he doesn't agree to adjust his contract and reduce a $6.67 million cap charge. And that is just the start of the many examples of potential attrition cited by team officials Tuesday evening.

Some names I say on Mike and Mike this morning when they had Bill curry on included

Derrick Brooks

Favre

Aaron Brooks

Domanick Davis

LaVar Arrington

Warren Sapp

Pennington

Culpepper

It was a list of about 20 names so that's about half of it.

19 Dallas Cowboys $2 M The Cowboys learned the hard way how a once-proud championship team can crumble overnight due to the restrictions of the salary cap. They appear to be heading into 2006 in pretty good shape.
I believe the Cowboys are 12M under the cap. :football:

supposedly Warrick Dunn is one possible casualty.
the most underrated, underappreciated RB in the game today...he's awesome..if Atlanta didn't invest so much $$$ in the useless Ron Mexico, they could have signed their best player, Warrick Dunn.what a shame, I hope he lands a starting spot elsewhere..

the most underrated, underappreciated RB in the game today...he's awesome..if Atlanta didn't invest so much $$$ in the useless Ron Mexico, they could have signed their best player, Warrick Dunn.what a shame, I hope he lands a starting spot elsewhere..
:goodposting: I agree, he produces year after year and many said he wouldn't last in the NFL because of his size.

If this really goes down, the implications for FF are incomprehensible ...

I mean, all these players are going to end up going somewhere ... but the shakeup of starters and their roles will be so severe that everything we thought we knew about player calues could be flushed down the can ...

:goodposting: I agree, he produces year after year and many said he wouldn't last in the NFL because of his size.
Obviously financial realities set in, but I'd be surprised if Dunn were released. Beyond his terrific production, he seems to be an icon in the community and does a lot of charity work there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be shocked if Dunn didn't restructure if necessry to stay in Atlanta. With the free agent RBs avaialable and the fact that he's 31 years old, he's not going to get a huge payday elsewhere anyways.

This will be the case because these particular players have a lot of unamortized signing bonuses. However, once these players are released, their is no reason the same team will not resign the same player with a large amount of guaranteed annual salary in 2007 when the league is uncapped.
Teams won't be able to sign somebody to a high 2007 salary due to the 30% rule.

This will be the case because these particular players have a lot of unamortized signing bonuses.  However, once these players are released, their is no reason the same team will not resign the same player with a large amount of guaranteed annual salary in 2007 when the league is uncapped.
I'm no capologist, but I am not sure if players that are cut have to comply with the 30% rule.

From KFFL.com:

The 30% rule will prevent this. Total compensation in 2007 cannot increase more than 30% from 2006.

if Atlanta didn't invest so much $$$ in the useless Ron Mexico, they could have signed their best player, Warrick Dunn.
:no: Just a quick FYI, but the above is an extremely ignorant and uninformed post.

Vick's contract was designed to be quite Cap friendly.

Vick's contract isn't the reason that Dunn needs to restructure. One of Dan Reeves last big FA acquistions was Dunn and he set up Dunn's contract to where the base salary is $8,000,000.00 this year.

"Dunn is due to count for just more than $8 million against the team's salary cap next season, a figure that could limit the team's financial flexibility unless it is reworked.

Dunn, who is signed through 2007, said he is unaware if any contract talks have taken place. Falcons' president and general manager Rich McKay and Dunn's agent, Jim Steiner, were unavailable for comment."
Also a post above details who counts the highest for 2006 Cap purposes in Atlanta...and it's not Vick!

26 Atlanta Falcons $-9.908 M

The Falcons have one of the best defensive front-sevens in the NFL -- and they pay dearly for it, as five of their top eight players are either linebacker or defensive linemen. In fact, their three highest paid players heading into 2006 are DL Patrick Kerney (almost $5 M base), LB Keith Brooking, and DL Roderick Coleman.
As another poster said though, Art Blank & the Falcons love Dunn and he won't be going anywhere. Dunn will restructure.

This will be the case because these particular players have a lot of unamortized signing bonuses.  However, once these players are released, their is no reason the same team will not resign the same player with a large amount of guaranteed annual salary in 2007 when the league is uncapped.
I'm no capologist, but I am not sure if players that are cut have to comply with the 30% rule.
My understanding (which is very limited) is that if a player signs a contract in 2006, his 2007 compensation cannot be more than 30% higher than 2006. I think the rule applies to 2008 and beyond too, although that doesn't make sense since the CBA will expire.

I thought there might be an extension on the deadlines since teams need some time to renegotiate contracts and make cuts. And they haven't even announced the salary cap for 2006 yet.

My understanding (which is very limited) is that if a player signs a contract in 2006, his 2007 compensation cannot be more than 30% higher than 2006. I think the rule applies to 2008 and beyond too, although that doesn't make sense since the CBA will expire.
If a player is released or is an UFA, he has no contract. IIRC, a player can only re-sign or renegotiate an existing contract at no more than a 30% increase per season. I believe all bets are off once their contracts are terminated, but again I am far from an expert on this one.

Salary Cap figures.

I found this link, but a lot is dependant upon how many of the teams own free agents have to be resigned:

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

Best to Worst Shape, top to bottom

UNDER the Cap:

1  Cleveland Browns  $31 M

Considering the lack of star power in Cleveland it should come as no surprise that they are in excellent cap shape. With the well publicized front office discord that occurred at the conclusion of the season, it will be interesting to see if the team is willing to spend some money this off-season -- and if so, how will they spend it?

2  Arizona Cardinals  $30 M

With all of the cap room the Cardinals have, the first thing they need to do is figure out what to do with their QB situation as both Josh McCown and Kurt Warner are set to become free agents. Of course, the Cardinals could decide to go in a different direction entirely.

3  Minnesota Vikings  $24 M

Despite everything else that's gone wrong in the twin cities this year -- from ticket scalping to waving goodbye to Randy to taking trips on the love boat to watching an All Pro QB blow out his knee -- the Vikings continue to do a good job in managing their cap. With Tice gone, here's hoping that new head coach, Brad Childress, can convince ownership to spend some of that money on filling some holes -- and retaining some key free agents.

4  Green Bay Packers  $22 M

The Packers are sure to endure one of the wildest off-seasons in the club's history. Will Brett Favre stay or will he go? There are a good 7 million reasons (or dollars) why he may want to come back. Even so, the Packers have plenty of cap room to bring him in some reinforcements along the OL and a quality (er, healthy) RB to boot.

5  San Diego Chargers  $21 M

Give A.J. Smith credit for doing a better job of managing the cap than his mentor, the late John Butler, did. The Chargers have ample room to once again hang onto Drew Brees and Phil Rivers if they so choose. 

6  Seattle Seahawks  $21 M

If the Seahawks choose not to sign reigning MVP Shaun Alexander to a long term contract it won't be because they don't have the cap room to do it. 

7  San Francisco 49ers  $18 M

Remember when the Niners were in cap jail just a few years ago? Well, that is a thing of the past now thanks to cheap ownership. While the good news is that they won't be getting back into cap trouble, the bad news is that they are likely to be bogged down with a team loaded with inferior talent for years to come.

8  Jacksonville Jaguars  $17 M

Much like the Bengals, the Jaguars are a quality young team with plenty of cap room to continue to improve the team's base corps.

9  Chicago Bears  $17 M

Chicago, too, is following the trend we've seen set by good young head coaches who have placed their stamp on their teams by putting together a quality, a young roster. In case you haven't noticed, "young" also means "inexpensive".

10  Cincinnati Bengals  $16 M

This number, includes Carson Palmer's contract extension, which paid out $15 M in guaranteed, up-front money and will pay him a base of $6.75 M in 2006. Clearly the Bengals, who made the playoffs this year for the first time in 15 years, have done a nice job bringing along their young talent -- and they appear to be financially strong enough to contend for a number of years.

11  St. Louis Rams  $16 M

Whoever takes over for Mike Martz will at least inherit a healthy cap situation. Considering all of the holes that the Rams have to fill on defense, that money may not go as far as you think.

12  Baltimore Ravens  $15 M

Despite all of the on-field problems that the Ravens had this year, they remain in good cap shape. The front office as led by Ozzie Newsome has been very prudent in not throwing too much cash at players. Case in point: only 13 players are scheduled to have a base salary exceeding $1 M. The Ravens have some questions to answer at RB, as both Jamal Lewis and Chester Taylor are set to become free agents.

13  Houston Texans  $14 M

All indications are that GM Charlie Casserly will exercise the $8 M option to bring David Carr back in 2006. Maybe he should spend some of the leftover cap money on an offensive line that may be able to protect this investment.

14  Buffalo Bills  $10 M

Underachieving RT (or is it LG?) Mike Williams is set to count about $10.8 M against the cap, as is veteran WR Eric Moulds. Look for the team to approach both players to take a paycut. Kudos to Robert Balistreri, who has done a master job of tracking the Bills' cap situation. Check out his excellent website here.

15  New Orleans Saints  $10 M

There are so many question marks surround the poor New Orleans Saints, that we do not wish to add to that any further here. Whoever the new head coach is going to be will be inheriting a pretty good roster and a decent cap situation, which may even get better if the team elects to release Aaron Brooks, who is set to makeover $6M in base salary in 2006. The flip side of the coin is that the team has some quality free agents (such as Darren Howard) that they must try to re-sign.

16  Detroit Lions  $9 M

Assuming the Fords do not cave to fan pressure and continue to mark time with Matt Millen, the Lions head into the off-season in pretty decent cap shape. Interestingly, the player set to receive the biggest series of paychecks in 2006 is none other than Joey Harrington, whose future with the team remains in doubt.

17  Philadelphia Eagles  $7 M

Once each team's cap is properly adjusted to account for likely to be earned bonus money that was accounted for against the 2005 cap -- but never actually awarded to the player(s) -- you can fully expect the Eagles to have a great deal more cap room. After all, they've been playing this little trick for years. Also, it's no secret by now that they will be releasing TO in the coming weeks. Of course, with the unamortized portion of his original $10 M signing bonus escalating against the cap, that may not be a cap saver.

18  NY Giants  $3 M

The Giants should have plenty of options when it comes to freeing up some cap space. For example, with so many big time skill position players, guess which player will have the highest base salary in 2006. Eli? Not even close. What about Tiki? Nope. Mike Strahan you ask? Wrong answer! Believe it or not, the NY Giant with the highest base salary heading into 2006 is Luke Petitgout!

19  Dallas Cowboys  $2 M

The Cowboys learned the hard way how a once-proud championship team can crumble overnight due to the restrictions of the salary cap. They appear to be heading into 2006 in pretty good shape.

20  New England Patriots  $0

The Patriots have done such a fantastic job picking late in the draft every year that they haven't had to rely on overpaying free agents. Bill Belichick also seems to have a nose for knowing when to release his high priced veterans at just the right time.

21  Indianapolis Colts  $0

The Colts will once again have to make a decision about what to do with Edgerrin James. Since he's guaranteed to make 20% more than he did last year, it is highly unlikely that GM Bill Polian and the Colts will be able to absorb that price tag, as they are right at the projected cap marker. The question is whether or not they'll consider giving him a long-term contract. 

OVER the Cap

22  Carolina Panthers  $-1000000

If you recall, two years ago, right after the Panthers' Super Bowl season, they found themselves in some cap trouble. They took their medicine then -- and suffered through a tough 2004 season. A year later, they've managed to catapult back into the playoffs and have their cap situation in a manageable situation.

23  Pittsburgh Steelers  $-4 M

The Steelers cap condition is not as bad as it appears. For example, all indications are that Jerome Bettis will be calling it quits at the end of this season. The Bus is scheduled to make a little over $5.35 M in base salary alone in 2006.

24  Miami Dolphins  $-5 M

Yes, the Dolphins are projected to be a bit over the cap heading into 2006. However, it's a far cry from last season, where they were so far over that they had to go on a frenzy cutting veteran players. A few prudent moves should easily get them where they need to be, although we don't expect them to be highly active in free agency.

25  Tampa Bay Buccaneers  $-8 M

The Bucs ended the regular season with the #1 defense in the NFL. Small wonder, then, that 6 of the 7 highest paid players on the team heading into 2006 play on the defensive side of the ball. That 7th player, Brian Griese, could very well become a cap casualty, considering the emergence of Chris Simms. Of course, the team must make a decision on Simms too, as he is set to become a restricted free agent in March.

26  Atlanta Falcons  $-9.908 M

27  Tennessee Titans  $-10 M

The poor Titans had to do so much house cleaning last year that they were left with a severely undermanned squad in 2005. From the looks of things, there will be more cost cutting to do in 2006.

28  Washington Redskins  $-20 M

As usual the Redskins look to be one of the primary offenders heading into the new year. The team's tendency to rework contracts over and over again has made them a poster child for the "mortgage the future for today" mantra. A good case in point is Lavar Arrington, whose base salary in 2006 jumps from $545 K to $2 M. And that doesn't even count a huge roster bonus he is set to earn. 

29  Kansas City Chiefs  $-22 M

With the Chiefs in clear cap trouble, we find it interesting that the new head coach appears to be Herm Edwards, who just happens to be leaving the team with arguably the worst cap situation in the NFL. 

30  Denver Broncos  $-26 M

The Broncos were built to win in 2005 -- as their precarious cap situation heading into next season isn't pretty.

31  NY Jets  $-29 M

Obviously the Jets are really in bad shape here. If the team elects to keep Chad Pennington, they will have to fork over a $3M roster bonus. With a $6 M base salary -- and nearly $4M in this year's bonus proration -- they clearly cannot afford to keep him under the existing contract. However, it will cost them (cap-wise) about $10 M just to cut him. And they can forget about franchising John Abraham again. Expect the cost-cutting to begin soon. No wonder Herm Edwards wants to head to Kansas City! 

32  Oakland Raiders  $-30 M

Didn't we go through this drill last year, when the Raiders were in such bad cap shape that they almost couldn't afford to cut anybody? Last year Rich Gannon came to the rescue by reworking his contract to get the team under the cap -- and then retiring. Who will help out this year?
This list doesn't take into account the fact that the Lions just recieved a 11.75 millions cap credit so there under the cap by over 20 million not 9 millionEDIT: I realize I have repeated others in this post, my bad.

If a player is released or is an UFA, he has no contract. IIRC, a player can only re-sign or renegotiate an existing contract at no more than a 30% increase per season. I believe all bets are off once their contracts are terminated, but again I am far from an expert on this one.
I thought they were discussing multi-year deals (and the increases between seasons), not UFA signings from year to year.

The Raiders situation is not as bad as that list shows.

With Woodson not coming back they are saving $10 million off the hop, and the release of D. Gibson saved almost another $10 million.

I guess if you sign a contract that spands 2006, 2007 and on this would apply. But would this apply to a player signing two different contracts in 2006, one for 2006 and one for 2007?

I guess if you sign a contract that spands 2006, 2007 and on this would apply. But would this apply to a player signing two different contracts in 2006, one for 2006 and one for 2007?
I believe the issue becomes how to structure the contract. In the "old" system, teams could space out the contract over 6 years while in the "new" (non-capped) system they could only sign players to 4 year deals. So contracts would have to be shorter and for less money (or so it would seem), as there would be fewer years to play with. Again, I don't know what clause or provision explains this, nor would I consider myself an expert on the matter. But that's what I read (and it wasn't fully explained in the article).

I believe the issue becomes how to structure the contract. In the "old" system, teams could space out the contract over 6 years while in the "new" (non-capped) system they could only sign players to 4 year deals. So contracts would have to be shorter and for less money (or so it would seem), as there would be fewer years to play with. Again, I don't know what clause or provision explains this, nor would I consider myself an expert on the matter. But that's what I read (and it wasn't fully explained in the article).
What I am asking is if a player could sign two contracts this year; one for 2006 and to apply for the 2006 CBA agreement while also signing a second independent contract for services in 2007 and under the 2007 CBA agreement.

I don't think the league allows them to sign a separate contract for a future year. It would either have to be a single contract spanning multiple years, or they would have to wait until 2007 to resign him to the second contract... and neither side would be happy with the risks involved with this (The player loses the guaranteed money in case of injury in 06 and the team loses control over the player's rights in the uncapped year)

As a Bengals fan while this is good news in the immediate, the implications down the road could be: Kansas City Royals :( and just when we're getting good again. :wall: :wall: :wall:

With the Redskins situation in a twisted way it would not be all bad - if they have to let all these players go prior to '06, they take their lumps this year and suddenly have a ton of roster spots ready to fill with FA's in an uncapped '07.

I can't believe this league might be doing an NHL.

-QG

I have a strange feeling that in years from now, we'll be looking at these few crucial days, and wonder "What da heck happened?!" I think we might see a lot more big name players getting released than anticipated, and see them in different uniforms in 2006+.

Gene Upshaw has said that if there is an uncapped year, there will never be a salary cap again.

Today may be one of those turning points in NFL history.

Chris Mortensen also mentioned this morning that some have argued that the salary cap has made for better league-wide competitiveness, but not necessarily better football. For example, the Steel Curtain Steelers were pre-cap and they were a dominant team from a smaller market.

The hope is that the NFL doesn't become a league of "haves" and "have-nots", but let's wait and see how this finishes today.

Apparently Tags called an emergency owner meeting.

Chris Mortensen also mentioned this morning that some have argued that the salary cap has made for better league-wide competitiveness, but not necessarily better football. For example, the Steel Curtain Steelers were pre-cap and they were a dominant team from a smaller market.
That may have been pre-cap, but it was not pre-revenue sharing. And the NFL owners had not developed nearly as many additional sources of revenue at the time. I do not think there was nearly the difference between big and small market teams back then as there is now.It was also pre-free agency, which meant they were able to keep that team together and develop the talent they had acquired without paying "market prices" for all their stars.

This is an idiotic statement from Mortensen. The Steel Curtain's long success had more to do with no Free Agency than it did with the Salary Cap.

It was also pre-free agency, which meant they were able to keep that team together and develop the talent they had acquired without paying "market prices" for all their stars.
Exactly. The issue is what product you are going to get with unrestricted FA and no cap ... but still with incomplete revenue sharing ...

Kevin Mawae's agent was on 1050 ESPN radio saying the Jets are going to cut him and aren't even looking to deal.

Announced so far ...

Stephen Davis

Brandon Short

He Hate Me

Brentson Buckner

Marcus Coleman

Im just listening to it ...

Users who are viewing this thread