What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thursday Game Question (1 Viewer)

Rebirtha

Footballguy
Our league has always cut off weekly trading prior to the 1st game of the week and I'm assuming most others did this as well. With games on Thursdays now how is your league handling this? Allowing trades after the Thursday games or is the deadline prior to that first one?

It's not a site specific question. I know I can do it, was just curious how others are handling the Thursday start now.

Our league has a weekly deadline of just before the 1st game of the week...whether it's on a Thursday or Sunday.

It's the only fair and sensible option, imo.

does anyone know how this works on mfl in the following two scenarios?

1. after thursday game theres a trade involving two plays that didnt play in the thursday game

2. after thursday gane thers a trade involvimg one player who played in the thursday game and one player who hasnt played.

do the guys go into the lineup immediately? what abput the guy who played already. what happens to him?

As long as the trade contains players that haven't played yet, I don't have a problem with trades after the 1st Thursday game.

If you don't have a veto process (which you shouldn't) and don't have a waiting period (which you shouldn't) it makes it much easier to allow trades throughout the week. I see so many threads here in the Shark Pool asking "How do you get people to trade?!?" and the answer is pretty simple when you look at threads like this and some of the silly rules/locks people have in effect.

If you do allow trading on Fri and Sat after the Thursday game, what happens if someone offers a trade on Saturday for a player that already played on Thursday? I would assume that player is ineligible to be traded until next Tuesday? I would hope the site prevents you from even offering the trade at all, but my guess is the trade could not be accepted until Tuesday. CBS league for what it's worth. Curious if MFL has more options/settings for this than CBS does.

You can trade players in our league at any time. If an involved player has already played that week, then the points for that week stay with the original owners of the players. Or to put it another way, the players switch teams after that week's games.

I can't see any reason to restrict trades based on the first game. It solves nothing and interferes with trading.

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes no sense to me to have a cutoff for weekly trading.
Even on Sundays?
Even on Sundays.
I believe the biggest protection here is for the following scenario:Team 1 offers Player A to Team 2 for Player B. He sends the trade on Saturday. Team 2 let's the trade sit over night. Player B gets hurt a minute into the 1:00 games and Team 2 accepts the trade before Team 1 has a chance to retract it.I know the response might be "Well Team 1 shouldn't have let the trade sit then," but why not just close off trading during the games rather than invite potential problems? Any trade that is going to be completed can be done before the 1:00 games or after. There's no urgent need to trade immediately during a game.

That same exact scenario can happen 24/7/365. I accept the trade when he gets arrested/crashes his motorcycle/breaks his leg in practice/gets suspended/gets benched for disciplinary reasons/etc. Caveat emptor.

Team 2 accepts the trade before Team 1 has a chance to retract it.
Why did he not have a chance to retract it? I'm missing that part of the story. :P

That same exact scenario can happen 24/7/365. I accept the trade when he gets arrested/crashes his motorcycle/breaks his leg in practice/gets suspended/gets benched for disciplinary reasons/etc. Caveat emptor.

Team 2 accepts the trade before Team 1 has a chance to retract it.
Why did he not have a chance to retract it? I'm missing that part of the story. :P
In general, though, I think most would agree injury risk is greater in game than off field.

'Rebirtha said:
'rocketsauce said:
We allow trades through the entire week. I don't understand why you would cut it off at kickoff of first game.
It's always been done that way. I've tried to keep things pretty consistent over the last 10+ years.
The NFL has not kept things pretty consistent though. I think you have to scrutinize your settings every year now. Rust never sleeps.

Users who are viewing this thread