What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Duncan > Kobe Bryant (poll now added!) (1 Viewer)

Who is the better all-time player?

• Tim Duncan

Votes: 120 93.8%
  • Kobe Bryant

Votes: 8 6.3%

• Total voters
must have missed where i said Duncan's career so far is > than Kobe's....maybe your a ####### idiot who cant read, but i did say Timmy is a great great player.

JMon348 said:
I love Tim Duncan, i think he's terrific, one of the greatest forwards ever. I think Duncan has had a better career, but Tim is decling, where Kobe is looking better. Both will eventually be top 10 players ever, IMO, but Kobe should be looked at, at having the better career when they are both done.
Kobe is the best player in the NBA. He's better than Tim Duncan, Dwayne Wade, Lebron James, etc. Is their a stat that shows it, i dont think so. But if you were to ask every NBA player, every NBA coach, every NBA GM who would you take right now for a championship game tomorrow, Kobe would be the overwhelming choice.
These are both great, great players. That is not up for debate, that is a cost of entry for coming to the table for legitimate debate. Acknowledging this isn't some revelation.The issue is who is better. Right now, your entire argument is that "he just is, and everyone who knows the NBA says so, otherwise you're a hater and an idiot".

There is a legitimate case for Kobe to be made here, and you're not making it. The floor is yours. Tell me why he's better, in your own words, from what you see.

must have missed where i said Duncan's career so far is > than Kobe's....maybe your a ####### idiot who cant read, but i did say Timmy is a great great player.

JMon348 said:
I love Tim Duncan, i think he's terrific, one of the greatest forwards ever. I think Duncan has had a better career, but Tim is decling, where Kobe is looking better. Both will eventually be top 10 players ever, IMO, but Kobe should be looked at, at having the better career when they are both done.
Kobe is the best player in the NBA. He's better than Tim Duncan, Dwayne Wade, Lebron James, etc. Is their a stat that shows it, i dont think so. But if you were to ask every NBA player, every NBA coach, every NBA GM who would you take right now for a championship game tomorrow, Kobe would be the overwhelming choice.
These are both great, great players. That is not up for debate, that is a cost of entry for coming to the table for legitimate debate. Acknowledging this isn't some revelation.The issue is who is better. Right now, your entire argument is that "he just is, and everyone who knows the NBA says so, otherwise you're a hater and an idiot".

There is a legitimate case for Kobe to be made here, and you're not making it. The floor is yours. Tell me why he's better, in your own words, from what you see.
Kobe Bryant is a killer, he wants the ball in crunch time. He wants to cut your heart out and destroy is competition.Tim Duncan is very passive, he's the best player in the NBA for qtrs 1-3, but tends to dissapear in crunch time.

Id rather have the ball in Kobe's hands at the end of the game down by 1 than Tim.

The Lakers strategy has always been single cover Duncan then in the 4th come at him hard because he will make mistakes. In 2001 when he was at the top of his game and the Spurs had the best record in the NBA, the Lakers swept them majorily because the Spurs and Duncan couldnt finish the game. The Spurs took a lead into the 4th qtr three of those four games, but the Lakers won them all, because Duncan couldnt do squat. He averaged like 3 points and had a total of like 10 FGA during that series. He doesnt have the killer instinct.

Duncan and Garnett are very similar, if they were to replace each other i see very similar careers. The difference is Ginobili, Parker, David Robinson, Sean Elliott, etc vs Ricky Davis, Mike James, Sam Mitchell, Latrell Spreewell etc.

Remember I love Duncan and think he's a great great player, but I dont think he loves basketball like Kobe, he isnt driven to succeed, doesnt have the heart like Kobe does. This doesnt show up on the stat sheet.

The only argument that Duncan is better than Kobe right now is because he's 7 feet and Kobe is 6'7.

Prior to this season, Duncan had played 9 seasons. Kobe had played 10 seasons.Duncan has been 1st team All NBA 8 times and 2nd team All NBA 1 time.Kobe has been 1st team All NBA 4 times, 2nd team All NBA 2 times, and 3rd team All NBA 2 times.Edge Duncan.Duncan has been 1st team All Defense 6 times and 2nd team All Defense 3 times.Kobe has been 1st team All Defense 4 times and 2nd team All Defense 2 times.Edge Duncan.Duncan was ROY and 1st team All Rookie.Kobe was not ROY and was 2nd team All Rookie.Edge Duncan.Duncan has been NBA MVP 2 times.Kobe has never been NBA MVP.Edge Duncan.Duncan has been NBA Finals MVP 3 times.Kobe has never been NBA Finals MVP.Edge Duncan.Duncan has 3 championships.Kobe has 3 championships.Even.Statisically, edges are split along positional lines to some degree.Duncan has the edge in shooting percentage, rebounds, and blocks, and also turns the ball over less often.Kobe has the edge in points, assists, and steals.However, in advanced statistics (see basketball-reference.com), Duncan has the edge in PER, PW, PL, PW%, WS.Overall, it seems clear that Duncan has "had a better career".
You forgot an important one:Duncan has 3 championships as the pivotal player for his team.KobMe has 3 championships as a roleplayerAdvantage: Duncan
your opinions are looked upon as a joke now, you are totally irrelevant with anything you say, please move on and dont post when there is a Kobe thread.....or any NBA thread for that matter :confused:
Says the blind Laker homer who goes to bed staring lovingly at his KobMe poster.When you have anything non-homerish to contribute, please let me know.
:confused:
Oh, so that means you'll never post anything but mindless homerish drivel? Understood.
just do us all a favor and leave, you dont like kobe, you have made your point, by some of your postings its obvious you have no idea what your talking about and nothing to add to the debate.so please ;)
Hahahahaha....no.

Prior to this season, Duncan had played 9 seasons. Kobe had played 10 seasons.Duncan has been 1st team All NBA 8 times and 2nd team All NBA 1 time.Kobe has been 1st team All NBA 4 times, 2nd team All NBA 2 times, and 3rd team All NBA 2 times.Edge Duncan.Duncan has been 1st team All Defense 6 times and 2nd team All Defense 3 times.Kobe has been 1st team All Defense 4 times and 2nd team All Defense 2 times.Edge Duncan.Duncan was ROY and 1st team All Rookie.Kobe was not ROY and was 2nd team All Rookie.Edge Duncan.Duncan has been NBA MVP 2 times.Kobe has never been NBA MVP.Edge Duncan.Duncan has been NBA Finals MVP 3 times.Kobe has never been NBA Finals MVP.Edge Duncan.Duncan has 3 championships.Kobe has 3 championships.Even.Statisically, edges are split along positional lines to some degree.Duncan has the edge in shooting percentage, rebounds, and blocks, and also turns the ball over less often.Kobe has the edge in points, assists, and steals.However, in advanced statistics (see basketball-reference.com), Duncan has the edge in PER, PW, PL, PW%, WS.Overall, it seems clear that Duncan has "had a better career".
You forgot an important one:Duncan has 3 championships as the pivotal player for his team.KobMe has 3 championships as a roleplayerAdvantage: Duncan
your opinions are looked upon as a joke now, you are totally irrelevant with anything you say, please move on and dont post when there is a Kobe thread.....or any NBA thread for that matter :confused:
Says the blind Laker homer who goes to bed staring lovingly at his KobMe poster.When you have anything non-homerish to contribute, please let me know.
Oh, so that means you'll never post anything but mindless homerish drivel? Understood.
You're criticizing someone else for polluting this thread with mindless drivel? That's funny.You've only made one attempt to discuss the actual subject so far, and it was the dumbest one in the thread.
I didn't meant KobMe is a roleplayer now. He obviously is a star in his own right. But during the latest Laker heyday, yes, he was Robin to Shaq's Batman.

Prior to this season, Duncan had played 9 seasons. Kobe had played 10 seasons.

Duncan has been 1st team All NBA 8 times and 2nd team All NBA 1 time.

Kobe has been 1st team All NBA 4 times, 2nd team All NBA 2 times, and 3rd team All NBA 2 times.

Edge Duncan.

Duncan has been 1st team All Defense 6 times and 2nd team All Defense 3 times.

Kobe has been 1st team All Defense 4 times and 2nd team All Defense 2 times.

Edge Duncan.

Duncan was ROY and 1st team All Rookie.

Kobe was not ROY and was 2nd team All Rookie.

Edge Duncan.

Duncan has been NBA MVP 2 times.

Kobe has never been NBA MVP.

Edge Duncan.

Duncan has been NBA Finals MVP 3 times.

Kobe has never been NBA Finals MVP.

Edge Duncan.

Duncan has 3 championships.

Kobe has 3 championships.

Even.

Statisically, edges are split along positional lines to some degree.

Duncan has the edge in shooting percentage, rebounds, and blocks, and also turns the ball over less often.

Kobe has the edge in points, assists, and steals.

However, in advanced statistics (see basketball-reference.com), Duncan has the edge in PER, PW, PL, PW%, WS.

Overall, it seems clear that Duncan has "had a better career".
You forgot an important one:Duncan has 3 championships as the pivotal player for his team.

KobMe has 3 championships as a roleplayer

Advantage: Duncan
You're criticizing someone else for polluting this thread with mindless drivel? That's funny.You've only made one attempt to discuss the actual subject so far, and it was the dumbest one in the thread.
I didn't meant KobMe is a roleplayer now. He obviously is a star in his own right. But during the latest Laker heyday, yes, he was Robin to Shaq's Batman.
see what we are dealing with, how old are you buddy?

Kobe Bryant is a killer, he wants the ball in crunch time. He wants to cut your heart out and destroy is competition.Tim Duncan is very passive, he's the best player in the NBA for qtrs 1-3, but tends to dissapear in crunch time.Id rather have the ball in Kobe's hands at the end of the game down by 1 than Tim.The Lakers strategy has always been single cover Duncan then in the 4th come at him hard because he will make mistakes. In 2001 when he was at the top of his game and the Spurs had the best record in the NBA, the Lakers swept them majorily because the Spurs and Duncan couldnt finish the game. The Spurs took a lead into the 4th qtr three of those four games, but the Lakers won them all, because Duncan couldnt do squat. He averaged like 3 points and had a total of like 10 FGA during that series. He doesnt have the killer instinct.Duncan and Garnett are very similar, if they were to replace each other i see very similar careers. The difference is Ginobili, Parker, David Robinson, Sean Elliott, etc vs Ricky Davis, Mike James, Sam Mitchell, Latrell Spreewell etc.Remember I love Duncan and think he's a great great player, but I dont think he loves basketball like Kobe, he isnt driven to succeed, doesnt have the heart like Kobe does. This doesnt show up on the stat sheet.The only argument that Duncan is better than Kobe right now is because he's 7 feet and Kobe is 6'7.
:confused:I don't necessarily agree with everything you've said, but this is exactly the sort of analysis I was hoping for.I'd dispute a few points -- Duncan was very instrumental at crunch times between 2003 and 2005 when the Spurs won 2 titles, so it's not like his entire career was defined in 2002 (fyi, 2001 was the season the Lakers blew the Spurs out of the building, 2002 was the year where they tortured them at crunch time) -- but I'd agree that Kobe probably cares more, albeit not by as much as you may claim.Also, you don't have to say "remember I love Duncan". You can criticize a player and say they're not the best and still think they're great. This is exactly why people legitimately criticizing Kobe being labeled as "haters" is incredibly irritating. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

JMon348 said:

Kobe Bryant is a killer, he wants the ball in crunch time. He wants to cut your heart out and destroy is competition.Tim Duncan is very passive, he's the best player in the NBA for qtrs 1-3, but tends to dissapear in crunch time.

Id rather have the ball in Kobe's hands at the end of the game down by 1 than Tim.

The Lakers strategy has always been single cover Duncan then in the 4th come at him hard because he will make mistakes. In 2001 when he was at the top of his game and the Spurs had the best record in the NBA, the Lakers swept them majorily because the Spurs and Duncan couldnt finish the game. The Spurs took a lead into the 4th qtr three of those four games, but the Lakers won them all, because Duncan couldnt do squat. He averaged like 3 points and had a total of like 10 FGA during that series. He doesnt have the killer instinct.

Duncan and Garnett are very similar, if they were to replace each other i see very similar careers. The difference is Ginobili, Parker, David Robinson, Sean Elliott, etc vs Ricky Davis, Mike James, Sam Mitchell, Latrell Spreewell etc.

Remember I love Duncan and think he's a great great player, but I dont think he loves basketball like Kobe, he isnt driven to succeed, doesnt have the heart like Kobe does. This doesnt show up on the stat sheet.

The only argument that Duncan is better than Kobe right now is because he's 7 feet and Kobe is 6'7.
You are an idiot. Seriously.

Kobe has been 1st team All NBA 4 times, 2nd team All NBA 2 times, and 3rd team All NBA 2 times.

Edge Duncan.

Edge Duncan.

Edge Duncan.

Edge Duncan.

Edge Duncan.

Even.

Duncan has the edge in shooting percentage, rebounds, and blocks, and also turns the ball over less often.

However, in advanced statistics (see basketball-reference.com), Duncan has the edge in PER, PW, PL, PW%, WS.

You forgot an important one:Duncan has 3 championships as the pivotal player for his team.

;)
Oooh, pointing out a misspelling. Congratulations! You just passed Message Board Posting 101 - when you can't win an argument, simply note that the other person didn't spellcheck before hitting send! :confused:

Kobe Bryant is a killer, he wants the ball in crunch time. He wants to cut your heart out and destroy is competition.Tim Duncan is very passive, he's the best player in the NBA for qtrs 1-3, but tends to dissapear in crunch time.Id rather have the ball in Kobe's hands at the end of the game down by 1 than Tim.The Lakers strategy has always been single cover Duncan then in the 4th come at him hard because he will make mistakes. In 2001 when he was at the top of his game and the Spurs had the best record in the NBA, the Lakers swept them majorily because the Spurs and Duncan couldnt finish the game. The Spurs took a lead into the 4th qtr three of those four games, but the Lakers won them all, because Duncan couldnt do squat. He averaged like 3 points and had a total of like 10 FGA during that series. He doesnt have the killer instinct.Duncan and Garnett are very similar, if they were to replace each other i see very similar careers. The difference is Ginobili, Parker, David Robinson, Sean Elliott, etc vs Ricky Davis, Mike James, Sam Mitchell, Latrell Spreewell etc.Remember I love Duncan and think he's a great great player, but I dont think he loves basketball like Kobe, he isnt driven to succeed, doesnt have the heart like Kobe does. This doesnt show up on the stat sheet.The only argument that Duncan is better than Kobe right now is because he's 7 feet and Kobe is 6'7.
:thumbup:I don't necessarily agree with everything you've said, but this is exactly the sort of analysis I was hoping for.I'd dispute a few points -- Duncan was very instrumental at crunch times between 2003 and 2005 when the Spurs won 2 titles, so it's not like his entire career was defined in 2001 -- but I'd agree that Kobe probably cares more, albeit not by as much as you may claim.Also, you don't have to say "remember I love Duncan". You can criticize a player and say they're not the best and still think they're great. This is exactly why people legitimately criticizing Kobe being labeled as "haters" is incredibly irritating. :2cents:
its tough to have a nice, open, fair debate about how great Kobe is, because so many people dont like Kobe the person. you have people coming into the thread calling him a "role player", calling him a "rapist", and a "thug". maybe sometimes us kobe backers argue so much, looking like we are on his ****, because we have to deal with so much hatred on our franchise/favorite player. Laker fans know how good he is, they also know he isnt perfect and makes mistakes, but at every mistake you have people SCREAMING: SEE IM RIGHT KOBE SHOT 16-44 TONIGHT, BALL HOG, PUNK, RAPIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. but they ignore that Kobe shot 50% during a 5 game win streak avg 50+ points, in maybe the most impressive streak of scoring in NBA history, when every single point was needed. they ignore that kobe probably has the worst set of role players of any superstar in the league.everyone can argue that Kobe isnt great, or the best player in the league. but as a diehard NBA fan, and an even more die hard Laker fan, no one will ever change my mind about Kobe Bryant. Ive seen almost every game of his career and watched some amazing/historic performances. I wouldnt trade him for any player and I wouldnt want any other player leading the Lakers back to glory.

Edge Duncan.

Edge Duncan.

Edge Duncan.

Edge Duncan.

Edge Duncan.

Even.

your opinions are looked upon as a joke now, you are totally irrelevant with anything you say, please move on and dont post when there is a Kobe thread.....or any NBA thread for that matter :2cents:
:bye:
Oooh, pointing out a misspelling. Congratulations! You just passed Message Board Posting 101 - when you can't win an argument, simply note that the other person didn't spellcheck before hitting send! :thumbup:
a cheap shot at ya, but had to get it in........you have already admitted you hate kobe, so why keep posting in here when everyone already knows your intention.

JMon348 said:

You are an idiot. Seriously.
so you think Tim is a great crunch time player? :thumbup:

everyone can argue that Kobe isnt great
This is where you get off track. The "role player" post was a bigger :thumbup: than anything else. I think most if not all of the Jordan/Duncan backers think Kobe is great. Maybe just not as great as their guy. If someone makes a point about a stat or achievement about a player they feel is better than Kobe you respond with "oh you just hate Kobe." Most of the time that is not true.

Edge Duncan.

Edge Duncan.

Edge Duncan.

Edge Duncan.

Edge Duncan.

Even.

You forgot an important one:

Duncan has 3 championships as the pivotal player for his team.

your opinions are looked upon as a joke now, you are totally irrelevant with anything you say, please move on and dont post when there is a Kobe thread.....or any NBA thread for that matter

:2cents:
Says the blind Laker homer who goes to bed staring lovingly at his KobMe poster.

When you have anything non-homerish to contribute, please let me know.
:bye:
You're criticizing someone else for polluting this thread with mindless drivel? That's funny.

You've only made one attempt to discuss the actual subject so far, and it was the dumbest one in the thread.
Oooh, pointing out a misspelling. Congratulations! You just passed Message Board Posting 101 - when you can't win an argument, simply note that the other person didn't spellcheck before hitting send! :thumbup:
a cheap shot at ya, but had to get it in........you have already admitted you hate kobe, so why keep posting in here when everyone already knows your intention.

[/quote

its tough to have a nice, open, fair debate about how great Kobe is, because so many people dont like Kobe the person. you have people coming into the thread calling him a "role player", calling him a "rapist", and a "thug". maybe sometimes us kobe backers argue so much, looking like we are on his ****, because we have to deal with so much hatred on our franchise/favorite player. Laker fans know how good he is, they also know he isnt perfect and makes mistakes, but at every mistake you have people SCREAMING: SEE IM RIGHT KOBE SHOT 16-44 TONIGHT, BALL HOG, PUNK, RAPIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. but they ignore that Kobe shot 50% during a 5 game win streak avg 50+ points, in maybe the most impressive streak of scoring in NBA history, when every single point was needed. they ignore that kobe probably has the worst set of role players of any superstar in the league.everyone can argue that Kobe isnt great, or the best player in the league. but as a diehard NBA fan, and an even more die hard Laker fan, no one will ever change my mind about Kobe Bryant. Ive seen almost every game of his career and watched some amazing/historic performances. I wouldnt trade him for any player and I wouldnt want any other player leading the Lakers back to glory.
We don't necessarily need to get into a "who started it" debate -- I'd argue that all the new "Kobe = God > Jordan" threads after he scores 50 points in a 3-pt win against a 23-45 team (this is a made up example) certainly don't help the case. But that's not really relevant to this conversation.I don't necessarily think anyone's looking to change your mind either. But the fact that you bring up being a Lakers fan as part of the support for no one changing your mind about Kobe is also a bit dangerous. :thumbup:

everyone can argue that Kobe isnt great
This is where you get off track. The "role player" post was a bigger :thumbup: than anything else. I think most if not all of the Jordan/Duncan backers think Kobe is great. Maybe just not as great as their guy. If someone makes a point about a stat or achievement about a player they feel is better than Kobe you respond with "oh you just hate Kobe." Most of the time that is not true.
well when i say that its to the guys who come in here and just want to trash on kobe and his career

its tough to have a nice, open, fair debate about how great Kobe is, because so many people dont like Kobe the person. you have people coming into the thread calling him a "role player", calling him a "rapist", and a "thug". maybe sometimes us kobe backers argue so much, looking like we are on his ****, because we have to deal with so much hatred on our franchise/favorite player. Laker fans know how good he is, they also know he isnt perfect and makes mistakes, but at every mistake you have people SCREAMING: SEE IM RIGHT KOBE SHOT 16-44 TONIGHT, BALL HOG, PUNK, RAPIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. but they ignore that Kobe shot 50% during a 5 game win streak avg 50+ points, in maybe the most impressive streak of scoring in NBA history, when every single point was needed. they ignore that kobe probably has the worst set of role players of any superstar in the league.

everyone can argue that Kobe isnt great, or the best player in the league. but as a diehard NBA fan, and an even more die hard Laker fan, no one will ever change my mind about Kobe Bryant. Ive seen almost every game of his career and watched some amazing/historic performances. I wouldnt trade him for any player and I wouldnt want any other player leading the Lakers back to glory.
We don't necessarily need to get into a "who started it" debate -- I'd argue that all the new "Kobe = God > Jordan" threads after he scores 50 points in a 3-pt win against a 23-45 team (this is a made up example) certainly don't help the case. But that's not really relevant to this conversation.I don't necessarily think anyone's looking to change your mind either. But the fact that you bring up being a Lakers fan as part of the support for no one changing your mind about Kobe is also a bit dangerous. :unsure:
whats the point of the whole debate then, we are all here just to aruge, i doubt someone's going to say"you know what your right, im changing my mind and i agree with you"

The thread says Duncan > Kobe.....im here to disagree, i feel strongly that Kobe is the best player in the NBA.

OK. We get it. :yes:FBGs hate Kobe and soon we'll have a "Tony Parker >>>> Kobe Bryant" thread.Way to :unsure: :yawn:
:drive: :lmao: :lmao: You're so on the money here. It is completely about hate. 100%, unadulterated hate. There's no objective way anyone can even mention Duncan in the same sentence as Kobe unless they're saying "Kobe Bryant is 2 trillion times better than Tim Duncan, who is himself only slightly better than Tony Massenberg". Well done. You got us.
YAAAAYY!! YOU WIN THE EXAGGERATION CONTEST!!!What do you win!?!?!? A bunch of ===> :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Cuz it's THAT Funny!!!

I wish I had stats broken down by quarter, because I really doubt that they would agree with you.For what it's worth, Duncan's playoff averages are higher than his regular season averages in just about every category.And I've never agreed with the idea that great players HAVE to take the big shot. I hate watching players force up bad shots while doubled because they're the "stars". It's the NBA. Your teammates are perfectly capable of knocking down a game-winner as well. Duncan kicking out of a double to a wide open Horry or Bowen is the right play sometimes. That doesn't make him passive or less competitive. It just makes him what he is - the most fundamentally sound big man ever, hence his nickname.

Kobe Bryant is a killer, he wants the ball in crunch time. He wants to cut your heart out and destroy is competition.

Tim Duncan is very passive, he's the best player in the NBA for qtrs 1-3, but tends to dissapear in crunch time.
I wish I had stats broken down by quarter, because I really doubt that they would agree with you.For what it's worth, Duncan's playoff averages are higher than his regular season averages in just about every category.

And I've never agreed with the idea that great players HAVE to take the big shot. I hate watching players force up bad shots while doubled because they're the "stars". It's the NBA. Your teammates are perfectly capable of knocking down a game-winner as well. Duncan kicking out of a double to a wide open Horry or Bowen is the right play sometimes. That doesn't make him passive or less competitive. It just makes him what he is - the most fundamentally sound big man ever, hence his nickname.
i agree, but sometimes if your teammates arent playing well, and the game is stuck in a rut you have to be able to pick your team up on your shoulders and carry them. You have to be selfish sometimes, and take over. I think you would agree that when its crunch time its usually Manu or Parker with that ball taking the shots and not Tim demanding the ball.

I'd argue that all the new "Kobe = God > Jordan" threads after he scores 50 points in a 3-pt win against a 23-45 team (this is a made up example) certainly don't help the case.
Link? Sorry that Laker fans want to discuss one of the greatest scoring streaks in NBA history. We can't bring anything up without be accused of saying "Kobe = God"

4 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

3 Members: The Gator, JMon348, tommyGunZ

I feel dirty right now. :lmao:

whats the point of the whole debate then, we are all here just to aruge, i doubt someone's going to say"you know what your right, im changing my mind and i agree with you" The thread says Duncan > Kobe.....im here to disagree, i feel strongly that Kobe is the best player in the NBA.
Fair enough.I think your points were solid enough that you didn't need to rationalize your Kobe thoughts partially because you're a Lakers fan. I probably didn't state that well.

YAAAAYY!! YOU WIN THE EXAGGERATION CONTEST!!!What do you win!?!?!? A bunch of ===> :coffee: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Cuz it's THAT Funny!!!
Okay, cool.Do you have anything to add as far as why you feel the way you do, or are you going to continue to resort to the pathetic "everyone hates Kobe" garbage that derails every single Kobe-related thread?

Duncan, by a comfortable margin.

Media attention and 44 shots a game doesn't make one great, but it does make one famous.

Inspired by a post by thesurfshop19, how about we discuss who has had a better career, Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant? I think it is pretty obvious that Duncan has had the better career. Bryant gets more ink because he plays in LA, and because Duncan is very reserved and doesn't play up to the media, but look at their numbers and accomplishments, and the answer is pretty obvious.
May have a better career but Kobe is by far the better player.

I'd argue that all the new "Kobe = God > Jordan" threads after he scores 50 points in a 3-pt win against a 23-45 team (this is a made up example) certainly don't help the case.
Link? Sorry that Laker fans want to discuss one of the greatest scoring streaks in NBA history. We can't bring anything up without be accused of saying "Kobe = God"
True, it's an exagerration. Just like how you bring out the "hater" trash anytime someone doesn't agree with your assessment of Kobe. :thumbup: I'll try and stop.

i agree, but sometimes if your teammates arent playing well, and the game is stuck in a rut you have to be able to pick your team up on your shoulders and carry them. You have to be selfish sometimes, and take over. I think you would agree that when its crunch time its usually Manu or Parker with that ball taking the shots and not Tim demanding the ball.
This is definitely a solid point. I'd probably counter it with the notion that Duncan's teammates seem to struggle less often, and I might attribute that to his leadership ability as well as the ability to get the most out of his teammates.I'm guessing that ideally you'd want someone who falls in the middle of the spectrum.

True, it's an exagerration. Just like how you bring out the "hater" trash anytime someone doesn't agree with your assessment of Kobe. :thumbup:
Can you believe that Duncan is better without being labeled a Kobe hater?Duncan IS the better player.

True, it's an exagerration. Just like how you bring out the "hater" trash anytime someone doesn't agree with your assessment of Kobe. :lmao:
Can you believe that Duncan is better without being labeled a Kobe hater?Duncan IS the better player.
thats your opinion, but there is alot more people who disagree with you than agree with you.and could you explain why you think kobe isnt great?

True, it's an exagerration. Just like how you bring out the "hater" trash anytime someone doesn't agree with your assessment of Kobe. :lmao:
thats your opinion, but there is alot more people who disagree with you than agree with you.and could you explain why you think kobe isnt great?
I didn't say that Kobe wasn't great. Kobe is great, I simply believe that Duncan is better. See post #77.

I didn't say that Kobe wasn't great. Kobe is great, I simply believe that Duncan is better. See post #77.
You actually believe that Duncan is a better bb player than Kobe? Come on....

True, it's an exagerration. Just like how you bring out the "hater" trash anytime someone doesn't agree with your assessment of Kobe. :blackdot:
maybe i misunderstood, but when you said:Duncan, by a comfortable margin.Media attention and 44 shots a game doesn't make one great, but it does make one famousyou were obviously refering to Kobe, so you think he's great?

True, it's an exagerration. Just like how you bring out the "hater" trash anytime someone doesn't agree with your assessment of Kobe. :blackdot:
At this point? No. But the original question asked about careers. Duncan has dropped off a bit the last two years, but his career holds up pretty well against Kobe's. Given the choice between either in their prime, I'd take Duncan.

At this point? No. But the original question asked about careers. Duncan has dropped off a bit the last two years, but his career holds up pretty well against Kobe's. Given the choice between either in their prime, I'd take Duncan.
All around bball skills...Kobe in a landslide. I am not a big fan of the NBA btw. I do watch when he plays though. I can't same the same for Duncan. Really, who are you going to pay money to see..Kobe or Duncan? If you answer that question honestly you will know who the better player is.

SaveFerrisB said:
Kobe Bryant may finish his career as an all-time top 10 NBA player.Tim Duncan is already in the Top 10.It's easy to find offensive stats and argue about them. Let's talk about defense for a bit.Tim Duncan is the best interior defensive player of his era, and is on pace to finish his career as the best defensive player in NBA history. There are objective and subjective reasons to support this claim. Let's look at some numbers. Duncan has made first-team All-Defense six times. Here is the complete list of players that have more than 6: Michael Jordan (9), Gary Payton (9), Scottie Pippen (8), Bobby Jones (8), Dennis Rodman (7), Walt Frazier (7). That's it. There's only three others at 6 (Dennis Johnson, Kevin Garnett, Dave DeBusschere), and only 1 of them (KG) is active. Duncan has made either first- or second-team All-Defense nine times. Here is the complete list of players that have more than 9: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Scottie Pippen. Add Bobby Jones if you want to count his 2 ABA All-D awards. That's it. There's only four others at 9 (DJ, Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Payton), none of who are active. Duncan's defensive prowess elevated his team into a defensive dynasty unmatched since the merger. San Antonio's defensive rating (points against per 100 possessions, regardless of game pace) has been phenomenal since they drafted Duncan. Here's SAS's finishes in D-Rating with Duncan: 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 1st. So, in the nine full seasons Duncan has been in the league, the Spurs have been the best defensive team for seven of them, and they have never been worse than third. While it is true that SAS has had no shortage of fine defensive players (David Robinson and Bruce Bowen have multiple All-D nods), the one on-court constant is Duncan. SAS's roster has completely turned over since they drafted Duncan. They were 1st in D-rating in Robinson's last season, and they were first in D-rating the year after. They were 1st in D-rating in Bowen's first year with SAS, and they were first in D-rating the year before. That last part notes an interesting footnote to Duncan's three titles - they aren't dependent on another player. Admiral was a huge part of SAS's titles in 1999 and 2003, and no one denies that. But Duncan won it all in 2005 without Robinson. In fact, Duncan is one of the few HOFers who have won a title without a HOF teammate*. Since the 3-point shot was added, only three teams have won it all with less than two HOFers - SAS in 2005 (Duncan), DET in 2004 (potentially the only NBA champion with no HOFers), and HOU in 1994 (Hakeem).All of that is Top 10 consideration. Make that defensive anchor a .505 shooting, 22-point scorer (24 PPG in the postseason) has him heading up the tier just below below the seven immortals. Kobe's got a long way to go to reach that territory.*Under current HOF voting rules, Manu Ginobili has a decent shot at the international wing of the HOF, but since his NBA career alone will not be enough, I excluded him from the discussion.
I know it sounds silly, but I think Ben Wallace is going to make the HOF for his defensive dominance one day.

SaveFerrisB said:
Kobe Bryant may finish his career as an all-time top 10 NBA player.Tim Duncan is already in the Top 10.It's easy to find offensive stats and argue about them. Let's talk about defense for a bit.Tim Duncan is the best interior defensive player of his era, and is on pace to finish his career as the best defensive player in NBA history. There are objective and subjective reasons to support this claim. Let's look at some numbers. Duncan has made first-team All-Defense six times. Here is the complete list of players that have more than 6: Michael Jordan (9), Gary Payton (9), Scottie Pippen (8), Bobby Jones (8), Dennis Rodman (7), Walt Frazier (7). That's it. There's only three others at 6 (Dennis Johnson, Kevin Garnett, Dave DeBusschere), and only 1 of them (KG) is active. Duncan has made either first- or second-team All-Defense nine times. Here is the complete list of players that have more than 9: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Scottie Pippen. Add Bobby Jones if you want to count his 2 ABA All-D awards. That's it. There's only four others at 9 (DJ, Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Payton), none of who are active. Duncan's defensive prowess elevated his team into a defensive dynasty unmatched since the merger. San Antonio's defensive rating (points against per 100 possessions, regardless of game pace) has been phenomenal since they drafted Duncan. Here's SAS's finishes in D-Rating with Duncan: 2nd, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 1st. So, in the nine full seasons Duncan has been in the league, the Spurs have been the best defensive team for seven of them, and they have never been worse than third. While it is true that SAS has had no shortage of fine defensive players (David Robinson and Bruce Bowen have multiple All-D nods), the one on-court constant is Duncan. SAS's roster has completely turned over since they drafted Duncan. They were 1st in D-rating in Robinson's last season, and they were first in D-rating the year after. They were 1st in D-rating in Bowen's first year with SAS, and they were first in D-rating the year before. That last part notes an interesting footnote to Duncan's three titles - they aren't dependent on another player. Admiral was a huge part of SAS's titles in 1999 and 2003, and no one denies that. But Duncan won it all in 2005 without Robinson. In fact, Duncan is one of the few HOFers who have won a title without a HOF teammate*. Since the 3-point shot was added, only three teams have won it all with less than two HOFers - SAS in 2005 (Duncan), DET in 2004 (potentially the only NBA champion with no HOFers), and HOU in 1994 (Hakeem).All of that is Top 10 consideration. Make that defensive anchor a .505 shooting, 22-point scorer (24 PPG in the postseason) has him heading up the tier just below below the seven immortals. Kobe's got a long way to go to reach that territory.*Under current HOF voting rules, Manu Ginobili has a decent shot at the international wing of the HOF, but since his NBA career alone will not be enough, I excluded him from the discussion.
one of the greatest ever, who's been surrounded by some great teams. Buford and Pop have done a great job building around Timmy.i feel that if kobe's career continues on the path it looks like it is, he surpasses duncan on the mythical all time list.

All around bball skills...Kobe in a landslide. I am not a big fan of the NBA btw. I do watch when he plays though. I can't same the same for Duncan. Really, who are you going to pay money to see..Kobe or Duncan? If you answer that question honestly you will know who the better player is.
Eh. I'd pay more to see Dennis Rodman than Karl Malone. You have to factor in the car-crash factor when people buy tickets.

SaveFerrisB said:
I know it sounds silly, but I think Ben Wallace is going to make the HOF for his defensive dominance one day.
OMG, No, please No.....I disagree

I'd pay money to see Vince Carter, Jason Richardson, Rafer Alston, and Hot Sauce over Tim Duncan. I don't think that makes them better players. More entertaining, sure. But that's not how I would define "better".I think most people would define better as more likely to help a team win. Duncan isn't flashy. He's just tall, strong, fundamentally sound, a consumate professional and statistically very dominant on both ends. If I'm trying to build a winning team, I take Duncan at his best before I take Kobe at his best.

I'd pay money to see Vince Carter, Jason Richardson, Rafer Alston, and Hot Sauce over Tim Duncan. I don't think that makes them better players. More entertaining, sure. But that's not how I would define "better".I think most people would define better as more likely to help a team win. Duncan isn't flashy. He's just tall, strong, fundamentally sound, a consumate professional and statistically very dominant on both ends. If I'm trying to build a winning team, I take Duncan at his best before I take Kobe at his best.
understand and respect your opinion, i disagree as i would take Kobe, but Duncan is a great player too.Game 7. One Game. Who would you take?Down by 1. 8 secs left. Who would you take?

Game 7. One Game. Who would you take?Down by 1. 8 secs left. Who would you take?
Duncan. Kobe will brick it from 40ft even though only down by 1.Game Winning Shot Opportunity = 24 seconds or less left in the game, team with the ball is either tied or down by 1 to 2 points.Why use this definition? 1. With 24 seconds or less, then it truly is a "last possession" situation potentially 2. With a margin from tied to down 2, the team can take the lead with a made basket (including 3's) 3. By excluding a down 3 situation, we don't have the "gimme two point buckets" that defenses will sometimes yield to the quick bucket/intentional foul strategy option you often see exercised.Data sample2003-04 Regular Season games2003-04 Playoff games2004-05 Regular Season games2004-05 Playoff games2005-06 Regular Season games (to April 12th)Leading "Game Winning Shot"
Code:
Players  Player  Fgm  Fga  Fg%  Ftm  Fta  Ast  T/O Kobe Bryant 	7	  32	.219	 8	  9	 0	 1 Tim Duncan	 6	   13	.462	 3	  4	  0	 1

He's won the Defensive player of the Year award four times. Four. And most of those it wasn't even close.It's akin to someone taking 4 scoring titles. Someone who does that belongs in the hall of fame. Only defense is harder to have longevity with.

He's won the Defensive player of the Year award four times. Four. And most of those it wasn't even close.It's akin to someone taking 4 scoring titles. Someone who does that belongs in the hall of fame. Only defense is harder to have longevity with.
I just dont think someone like this should get inPPG-6.6RPG-10.7APG-1.4SPG-1.4BPG-2.2Titles-1I understand your argument, but dont think he's worthy of the HOF. Id put Robert Horry in there before him, theres no stat to show his playoff heroics. I wouldnt put Horry in either, but I say he's had a better career.

Game 7. One Game. Who would you take?Down by 1. 8 secs left. Who would you take?
Game 7 I take Duncan.8 seconds left I take Kobe. Not because of any perceived clutch factor. Just because he's a better pure scorer, and I feel better having a perimeter player with the ball in that situation.

SaveFerrisB said:
His averages are hurt a lot by all those early seasons as a bench player. His per-game stats aren't super impressive, but his per40 rebound numbers are way better than Duncan and KG.
* The only player in NBA history to record 1,000 rebounds, 100 blocks, and 100 steals in 4 consecutive seasons (2001-04). * One of only three players in NBA history to record 150 blocks and 100 steals in 6 consecutive seasons (2001-06) (along with Hakeem Olajuwon and David Robinson). * One of only four players in NBA history to lead the NBA in rebounding and blocking averages in the same season (along with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Walton, and Hakeem Olajuwon). * One of only three players in NBA history to average 15 rebounds and 3 blocks per game over a season (along with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Bob McAdoo). * The only undrafted player in NBA history to be voted a starter for the NBA All-Star Game. * One of only two players in NBA history to receive NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award 4 times (along with Dikembe Mutombo).

I just dont think someone like this should get inPPG-6.6RPG-10.7APG-1.4SPG-1.4BPG-2.2Titles-1I understand your argument, but dont think he's worthy of the HOF. Id put Robert Horry in there before him, theres no stat to show his playoff heroics. I wouldnt put Horry in either, but I say he's had a better career.
He was undrafted and didn't get much playing time in most of those early games. Check out his "per 40" averages.

Users who are viewing this thread