What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Rattay to the Bucs (1 Viewer)

Norseman

Footballguy
Just heard on local radio that the Buc's have traded for San Francisco back up Tim RatteyNo link yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice move for the Bucs. I'm guessing they paid out the nose for him though.That means SF is basically dumping their season.

So much for Simms. I'm a Niners fan but I like this move. The season is going to suck either way, best get Smith used to the real thing than have him sit on the bench. Picking up extra draft picks is only a plus.

Rattay put up some nice numbers when he was in the lineup and that was on a horrid team. I'm curious to see how he does in Tampa. Obviously they have very little confidence in Simms.

Nice move for the Bucs. I'm guessing they paid out the nose for him though.

That means SF is basically dumping their season.
didnt they already do this, when they decided to go w/ the rookie qb?im thinking san fran fans should be crazy happy, here comes reggie bush!!

So much for Simms.
:confused: Rattay is "veteran" backup here. Nothing more. Bucs didn't want to go the rest of the season with Simms and McCown as the only 2 qbs.

I think. :unsure:

Rattay put up some nice numbers when he was in the lineup and that was on a horrid team. I'm curious to see how he does in Tampa. Obviously they have very little confidence in Simms.
I think that they may have little confidence in him staying health, and less confidence in McCown.

Nice move for the Bucs.  I'm guessing they paid out the nose for him though.

That means SF is basically dumping their season.
didnt they already do this, when they decided to go w/ the rookie qb?im thinking san fran fans should be crazy happy, here comes reggie bush!!
I figured they would realize their mistake and put Rattay back in.

Do you think he starts as early as week 8? With the bye week this week it would give Rattay 2 weeks to get ready.
Barring injury, I don't think he starts at all. I don't think you learn Grudens system in 2 weeks.
so you think Rattay starts out of the gate?

or do they start simms and work him in?
neither

This is definitely one of the more interesting trades. Yes, at this point Rattay is a veteran backup, but he certainly has upside being familiar with a WCO and actually having real weapons to throw to. It would basically be a question of his ability to beat out McCown for the #2 spot (easily done) then Simms not being any good (who knows).

Clayton owners: Happy or Not? Im sticking with my guns here and saying no change. Caddy and Pittman- or rather just Caddy- will be taking handoffs from a more experienced QB. BTW, the Bucs should really set up a QB grooming outlet at La Tech- seems like they have a fetish for them.

Talk about mucking up the waiver bidding process this week for people who need another QB and/or are trying to replace Griese. Sheesh.

I don't think Rattay was the problem in San Francisco. I like this move by the Bucs since Griese went down.

Barring injury, I don't think he starts at all. I don't think you learn Grudens system in 2 weeks.
Rattay is pretty smart, but I have to agree here. I like it long term, but it will take more than 2 weeks.Back on the Rattay bandwagon. :)

As a Rattay owner, I'm thrilled. :excited: I understand the critics, but Rattay, for the situation he was in, was a pretty decent QB. I'm glad to see him in a situation where he might actually perform up to his ability.

Simms = BollingerRattay = Vinny?just keeping the place warm until the vet is ready?

I think Simms gets a legitimate shot at keeping the starting job. The Rattay deal looks like insurance for this year and gives Gruden another young gun for his arsenal in the offseason.

I just traded for Galloway on this news. I think that it is a bump-up to the bump-down that was Simms. We'll see...

:thumbup:

I would also think this helps Simms this week vs San Fran...
Next week - week 8, but maybe.Although how cool would it be to see Rattay vs. Smith?

(Ok, so the game sucks anyway, but at least those of us who root for Rattay may enjoy it)

Clayton owners: Happy or Not?

Im sticking with my guns here and saying no change. Caddy and Pittman- or rather just Caddy- will be taking handoffs from a more experienced QB. BTW, the Bucs should really set up a QB grooming outlet at La Tech- seems like they have a fetish for them.
Hrm, I'm thinking it may be a bump up for Clayton. If you were an opposing D, wouldn't stack up against the run and make the inexperienced/new to the system QB throw it? If anything I'd think it's a bump down for Caddy/Pittman. But what do I know?!?

As a niner fan, i'm pretty pissed about this. I like RAT better than I do Alex Smith. The niners better have gotten at least a 3rd Round pick.ON THE OTHER HANDWith Alex Smith in there, we should at least get a top 10 draft pick and maybe trade barlow to the canadian league and draft Reggie Bush???Living near South Bend and watching this guy in that game, one word. UNBELIEVABLE....

sure are a lot of knee-jerk reactions in this thread. to be expected here, I guess.Personally, I think this is the best move Bruce Allen has made yet for this franchise. Like it or not, the Bucs are a legit playoff team and they just took care of any season-destroying situations they would have faced had Simms got hurt or played terrible. I've always thought Rattay was better than he got credit for, and he'll come into a situation where he doesn't have to start right away, and can work his way into learning the playbook and the system he is probably a little familiar with. Fwiw, Simms is going to have to suck HARD to get replaced by Rattay. Keep in mind the kid has been here three years now and started the Saints game last year when Johnson went out. He's the starter. Rattay is the backup.

sure are a lot of knee-jerk reactions in this thread. to be expected here, I guess.

Personally, I think this is the best move Bruce Allen has made yet for this franchise. Like it or not, the Bucs are a legit playoff team and they just took care of any season-destroying situations they would have faced had Simms got hurt or played terrible.

I've always thought Rattay was better than he got credit for, and he'll come into a situation where he doesn't have to start right away, and can work his way into learning the playbook and the system he is probably a little familiar with.

Fwiw, Simms is going to have to suck HARD to get replaced by Rattay. Keep in mind the kid has been here three years now and started the Saints game last year when Johnson went out. He's the starter. Rattay is the backup.
Why don't you think Rattay can start week 8?

sure are a lot of knee-jerk reactions in this thread. to be expected here, I guess.

Personally, I think this is the best move Bruce Allen has made yet for this franchise. Like it or not, the Bucs are a legit playoff team and they just took care of any season-destroying situations they would have faced had Simms got hurt or played terrible.

I've always thought Rattay was better than he got credit for, and he'll come into a situation where he doesn't have to start right away, and can work his way into learning the playbook and the system he is probably a little familiar with.

Fwiw, Simms is going to have to suck HARD to get replaced by Rattay. Keep in mind the kid has been here three years now and started the Saints game last year when Johnson went out. He's the starter. Rattay is the backup.
Why don't you think Rattay can start week 8?
I'll give you my take. Jon Gruden's playbook is like learning Advanced Calculus blind folded. Tim Rattay will have to first learn the playbook and get snaps in practice and develop a rapport with everyone else, so that'll take a while. On top of all that, Chris Simms will have to suck hard like Capella said.

Per KFFLUpdating previous reports, Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the San Francisco 49ers received a sixth-round draft choice in 2006 from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for QB Tim Rattay

Users who are viewing this thread