What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Time to drop T.O> (1 Viewer)

He's in the studio on NFLN... when asked if he was surprised that no NFL personnel were on hand for his work, T.O. said, "That won't discourage me. God was there. That's all that matters."

I think somewhere in Denver, a revelation may have just been received! :wub:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8237a6a5/article/to-will-be-tough-sell-for-teams-wanting-immediate-help?module=HP11_hot_topics

This had a drill by drill breakdown of T.O.'s workout.

I'm a little confused though.

The writer (a scout) says: "Owens is not at a point physically where he can make an immediate contribution to a team." So ignoring personality and economics, the scout doesn't think TO can play at an NFL level.

But then he goes on to write a fairly glowing review of his physical abilities. On top of all this, TO, if I'm not mistaken, has been a dominant, hall of fame WR because of his size, athleticism, strength, and football intelligence.. not his quickness.

Clearly this scout knows a lot more about football than me, as does the NFL.com staff (who were equally dim about his abilities), but could someone explain why TO couldn't play effectively in the NFL? Do his skills not give him enough separation? Have db's gotten better, bigger or taller since he's been out of the league? Does TO need 10 targets to be effective?

No NFL scouts showed up for his workout, so he appears finished as an NFL player. Time for Owens to brush up on his communication skills. Next thing you know he will be on the NFL Network shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Hoss_Cartwright said:
No NFL scouts showed up for his workout, so he appears finished as an NFL player. Time for Owens to brush up on his communication skills. Next thing you know he will be on the NFL Network shows.
Maybe the Bengals will give him another shot, but he isn't completely healed yet either. It probably is over for him and Moss.

'the_Truth said:
Do people seriously think T.O. wouldn't be better than several players in the league right now.

Who would you rather have right now, T.O. or MSW? T.O. or Ocho? T.O. or Lafell or Nanee?

There will be a market for his services. He can still be single coverage from a second corner.
I went ahead and picked him up.. the guy is a TD machine, no matter where he goes he can come in and produce.. he is definitely worth a flier over some other unproven fliers... if he lands on a team in the next few weeks he will definitely be WR3 worthy with upside...

if he doesn't.. than drop him.. but he is definitely worth paying attention too..

I think TEN would be the best landing spot for him being that they are definitely in the playoff hunt with that passing offense with a revived Matt Hasselback in need of a WR.. to go with Chris Johnson it really makes a lot of sense... *hints* why the coach has vocalized that he is considering grabbing him if he is healthy
Did you watch last Sunday :confused: TEN looks like a horrible place for a WR to go and unless TO doesn't have a better offer I can't see him going there.
Can you read?... i posted that on October 19th...
Doesn't matter when you posted it this season IMO
Are you kidding me? This is example A of hindsight bias.

Before last week's annihilation the Titans were 3-2, .5 games ahead of Houston for the division lead. Hasselbeck was throwing the ball 36 times a game for 283 yards/game and badly in need of another WR target with the absence of Kenny Britt.

They were 3 point favorites at home to beat the Texans and extend the division lead.

And then they got destroyed and you come in here criticizing Dealerz' opinion (from last week) with the benefit of hindsight.

Wow.
Dead serious. Beginning of the season the Titans weren't picked to make the playoffs or rated as a contending team. Only reason TO would pick TEN is if they paid him more or they are the best of the bad bunch who wanted him.

'DeaLerZ said:
'the_Truth said:
Do people seriously think T.O. wouldn't be better than several players in the league right now.

Who would you rather have right now, T.O. or MSW? T.O. or Ocho? T.O. or Lafell or Nanee?

There will be a market for his services. He can still be single coverage from a second corner.
I went ahead and picked him up.. the guy is a TD machine, no matter where he goes he can come in and produce.. he is definitely worth a flier over some other unproven fliers... if he lands on a team in the next few weeks he will definitely be WR3 worthy with upside...

if he doesn't.. than drop him.. but he is definitely worth paying attention too..

I think TEN would be the best landing spot for him being that they are definitely in the playoff hunt with that passing offense with a revived Matt Hasselback in need of a WR.. to go with Chris Johnson it really makes a lot of sense... *hints* why the coach has vocalized that he is considering grabbing him if he is healthy
Did you watch last Sunday :confused: TEN looks like a horrible place for a WR to go and unless TO doesn't have a better offer I can't see him going there.
Can you read?... i posted that on October 19th...
Doesn't matter when you posted it this season IMO
Are you kidding me? This is example A of hindsight bias.

Before last week's annihilation the Titans were 3-2, .5 games ahead of Houston for the division lead. Hasselbeck was throwing the ball 36 times a game for 283 yards/game and badly in need of another WR target with the absence of Kenny Britt.

They were 3 point favorites at home to beat the Texans and extend the division lead.

And then they got destroyed and you come in here criticizing Dealerz' opinion (from last week) with the benefit of hindsight.

Wow.
lol thank you.. i wasn't going to say anything because I didn't want to give into a post like that... but much appreciated for noticing that one
:lmao: calling TEN "in the playoff hunt" after only a 1/4 of the season has been played.

It is sad that Owens pissed away a great career with all of his antics, blew up the bridge on every tem he played for. And the last two years was only able to get looks from the of the then worst teams in the NFL. I highly doubt that any NFL coach would even take a look at Owens given his track record. Owens was a great player who never really got it..understood what it is to be a pro. Now it is over and he wants back in..willing to do anything to get back in.

Like Tiki Barber found out..once a cancer is cut out of a team they do not want it coming back.

He looked great. He'll get signed somewhere before the year is over. definitely a good stash if you have the room.

With espn and the nfl network there, the 32 nfl gms have already watched the tape. Someone will sign him eventually. He's too good not too. Don't buy into all the media hype and hysteria. The NFL is a shrewd business, and i honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him in a pats uni. Or maybe even in an eagles uni again.

A lot of that will depend on what injuries come down the pipe.

I still think he could contribute but I'm no scout. He was great last year before the injury. I wonder if his ego would allow him to make the transition to a third down possession receiver.

whatever the case, TO gets a lifetime pass for posing on the star in boyboy stadium.

he looked limited in his movements by the knee and the calf, commentators we're saying he's two months away

He looked great. He'll get signed somewhere before the year is over. definitely a good stash if you have the room.With espn and the nfl network there, the 32 nfl gms have already watched the tape. Someone will sign him eventually. He's too good not too. Don't buy into all the media hype and hysteria. The NFL is a shrewd business, and i honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him in a pats uni. Or maybe even in an eagles uni again.A lot of that will depend on what injuries come down the pipe.
why would the Eagles want him? They don't even have room for Cooper or Smith to get any reps. I doubt he would move ahead of Maclin, Jackson, or Avant. What is the use of WR4's that don't play specials?

Did Drew Rosenhaus petition to change this thread from "MEDICALLY CLEARED TO PLAY" to "LOOKED GREAT IN WORKOUT" (?)

I would like to see him today... he may be sitting by the phone with an ice pack on his swollen knee.

Barring a serious WR injury on a proven contender... I don't see T.O. coming back (and if not now, then never). I wish him well, he's a sure fire HOFer... and god knows he's made a lot of money for fantasy Owners over the years, but he was seriously sucking wind yesterday. I think the gap between being "in shape" and being "in football shape" may be too great to overcome for now (from FF regular season perspective).

He looked great?

Compared to what? You guys have seen a lot more free agent WR workouts than I have.

The guy's career numbers are staggering, and his physical fitness is never in question, so when NO ONE shows up to see if his knee is sound, that tells you exactly where everyone stands.

He looked great?

Compared to what? You guys have seen a lot more free agent WR workouts than I have.

The guy's career numbers are staggering, and his physical fitness is never in question, so when NO ONE shows up to see if his knee is sound, that tells you exactly where everyone stands.
I believe this is spot on. If you're truly interested, you would make it a point to be there in person looking for indicators. Your not going to trust an edited tape from his agent (of all people) to deliver the facts.

He looked great. He'll get signed somewhere before the year is over. definitely a good stash if you have the room.With espn and the nfl network there, the 32 nfl gms have already watched the tape. Someone will sign him eventually. He's too good not too. Don't buy into all the media hype and hysteria. The NFL is a shrewd business, and i honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him in a pats uni. Or maybe even in an eagles uni again.A lot of that will depend on what injuries come down the pipe.
why would the Eagles want him? They don't even have room for Cooper or Smith to get any reps. I doubt he would move ahead of Maclin, Jackson, or Avant. What is the use of WR4's that don't play specials?
The eagles scenario would require desean and/or maclin to go down with injury. With the injury history of those two it's not exactly an unlikely scenario.

He looked great?

I believe this is spot on. If you're truly interested, you would make it a point to be there in person looking for indicators. Your not going to trust an edited tape from his agent (of all people) to deliver the facts.
not sure drew has editing powers on espn or nfln broadcasts just yet.....

Seems like the Eagles want every big named player regardless of whether they fit in the team

He looked great?

Why would an interested team show up there? They would have TO come to them and work him out behind closed doors. Why show up there and tip your hand in public.

He looked great?

The fact that there were no scouts there has absolutely nothing to do with teams' interest. As has been explained repeatedly, sending a scout would tell the media to please come to our locker room and ask nothing but questions about the possibility of TO coming to the team. It would bring on a world of distraction. IT was aired live on tv and he sent out tapes. Scouts can see what they're looking for on tape.

The Arena League's Chicago Rush have offered free agent Terrell Owens a contract.

At least someone wants him. "We feel that this is an ideal time to approach the future NFL Hall of Famer," Rush GM Gene Nudo said. "It would be a fantastic honor to add Terrell to our current roster for the 2012 season." Owens' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, acknowledged on the radio Wednesday that his client has generated no phone calls from NFL clubs after Tuesday's public workout.

:lol:

The Arena League's Chicago Rush have offered free agent Terrell Owens a contract.

At least someone wants him. "We feel that this is an ideal time to approach the future NFL Hall of Famer," Rush GM Gene Nudo said. "It would be a fantastic honor to add Terrell to our current roster for the 2012 season." Owens' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, acknowledged on the radio Wednesday that his client has generated no phone calls from NFL clubs after Tuesday's public workout.

He'll probably get calls, just not yet. I imagine it'll be another two to three weeks before anybody considering him makes contact. He was clearly favoring his right leg toward the end of the workout. He's still healing. And I know it's a strange thing to find noteworthy, but the earrings he had in during the workout? If I was him, I'd be looking to make myself look like a more mature, focused, and humbled man. He and Rosenhaus have to know that arguably the most significant strike against him is his ego. The earrings, while having nothing to do with his ability on the field, show a lack of appreciation for his reputation and disinterest in trying to rectify that. I can imagine Shanahan saying no, no, no and then Kyle saying, "c'mon coach, just watch the tape", then saying okay I'll watch the damn tape, and then seeing the earrings and shutting it off.

He looked great?

The fact that there were no scouts there has absolutely nothing to do with teams' interest. As has been explained repeatedly, sending a scout would tell the media to please come to our locker room and ask nothing but questions about the possibility of TO coming to the team. It would bring on a world of distraction. IT was aired live on tv and he sent out tapes. Scouts can see what they're looking for on tape.
Saying something repeatedly doesn't make it correct. And if a team is so afraid of media asking questions about TO, why would they consider signing him? If a team is thinking about TO, and they fly him in for a workout, or to check his knee, they are going to get those same questions, but on a much more intense level, because they took the time to fly him in there. So who cares if they get questions after his workout? That line of thinking, frankly, doesn't make too much sense.

The time to check him out is when he is having an open workout. Then, you don't appear too interested, because hey, you had a scout in the area, and let's see how he looks. I would bet almost every single team in the NFL had a scout within driving distance of that workout too, which makes it doubly sad for the TO and Rosenhaus show. Of course, that strategy would have backfired, as not one NFL team was even interested enough to show up. :lmao:

He's played on two teams the last two years, and neither was interested in bringing him back. And he's almost 38, and is coming back from blowing out his ACL---which if he IS back and healthy from, means he will have pretty much set a new record for coming back from that injury. I'm gonna go ahead and guess he is still an emotionally stunted dooshbag too. Just a guess tho.

Please. He is completely done. I will continue to monitor the situation, as I will take a lot of joy in watching him try and keep his name in the spotlight, all while his baby-mama's siphon off whichever funds he didn't squander already.

Am I just being a HaTeR, yo? You damn right, dawg. TO's God-given gifts allowed him to never have to face being an adult, or answering for his actions. And those are done. He is old, with a blown out knee, and no one willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he is a terrible person. Hopefully Rosenhaus will keep us up-to-date on future reality show plans that TO has, those are the only TV jobs I see in the future. Broadcasting? NFLN? Please. He makes Emmitt Smith look erudite.

He'll probably get calls, just not yet. I imagine it'll be another two to three weeks before anybody considering him makes contact. He was clearly favoring his right leg toward the end of the workout. He's still healing. And I know it's a strange thing to find noteworthy, but the earrings he had in during the workout? If I was him, I'd be looking to make myself look like a more mature, focused, and humbled man. He and Rosenhaus have to know that arguably the most significant strike against him is his ego. The earrings, while having nothing to do with his ability on the field, show a lack of appreciation for his reputation and disinterest in trying to rectify that. I can imagine Shanahan saying no, no, no and then Kyle saying, "c'mon coach, just watch the tape", then saying okay I'll watch the damn tape, and then seeing the earrings and shutting it off.
These are NFL coaches, not someone's racist grandpappy. If they had a problem with earrings, they never would have made it further than Division II.

These are NFL coaches, not someone's racist grandpappy. If they had a problem with earrings, they never would have made it further than Division II.
What does wearing earrings have to do with racism? White players wear earrings too and have tattoos.

He looked great?

Why would an interested team show up there? They would have TO come to them and work him out behind closed doors. Why show up there and tip your hand in public.
Agreed.This is Drew Rosenhaus and TO we're talking about here. If you send a scout, they will think they have the upper hand in negotiations. If you have TO show up to a stadium to do a private workout, get greeted by some lackey, forced to act like a potential employee, then the team holds all the circus cards.

He looked great?

Agreed.This is Drew Rosenhaus and TO we're talking about here. If you send a scout, they will think they have the upper hand in negotiations. If you have TO show up to a stadium to do a private workout, get greeted by some lackey, forced to act like a potential employee, then the team holds all the circus cards.
Considering that he's been a rental player for the (then) lower teams and this season is about half over, there is zero leverage for Owens.

Not that TO would go for it, but if you are a team in the hunt for a title at this point in the season, why not offer league minimum contract for the rest of the season loaded with incentives so that if he eclipses them, he gets paid a mighty ransom while also potentially playing for a contender?

Detroit Lions should sign the guy. Line TO up in the slot next to calvin whenever possible.

Other than the lions, here are some teams that could make a run and benefit:

Gmen - Eli is passing like there's no tomorrow. TO and Nicks - nice duo. Might be a headache for eli and tom

Bolts - Something aint right and they could use the help to open things up. Rivers is enough of a program manager to control him.

Texans - AJ and TO.

Tenn - yes they could use the guy but he would become the center of attention and thats probably not going to work.

Ravens - After the monday night disaster, maybe they could use the help

GB - has a zillion receiving options but as i indicated above, put TO on the field for league minimum with incentives. Give him a snap incentive because lord knows rodgers wont zero in on him. Could get a ring while getting back into football.

NE doesnt need him.

Is anyone who pre-emptively picked him up dropping him already since it doesnt look like any teams is seriously interested right now and that he might be a month away from playing? I think Im dropping him instead of wasting a roster spot (seemingly)

Not that TO would go for it, but if you are a team in the hunt for a title at this point in the season, why not offer league minimum contract for the rest of the season loaded with incentives so that if he eclipses them, he gets paid a mighty ransom while also potentially playing for a contender? Detroit Lions should sign the guy. Line TO up in the slot next to calvin whenever possible. Other than the lions, here are some teams that could make a run and benefit:Gmen - Eli is passing like there's no tomorrow. TO and Nicks - nice duo. Might be a headache for eli and tomBolts - Something aint right and they could use the help to open things up. Rivers is enough of a program manager to control him. Texans - AJ and TO. Tenn - yes they could use the guy but he would become the center of attention and thats probably not going to work.Ravens - After the monday night disaster, maybe they could use the helpGB - has a zillion receiving options but as i indicated above, put TO on the field for league minimum with incentives. Give him a snap incentive because lord knows rodgers wont zero in on him. Could get a ring while getting back into football. NE doesnt need him.
Why offer him incentives at all? To win the bidding war?

He looked great?

Saying something repeatedly doesn't make it correct. And if a team is so afraid of media asking questions about TO, why would they consider signing him? If a team is thinking about TO, and they fly him in for a workout, or to check his knee, they are going to get those same questions, but on a much more intense level, because they took the time to fly him in there. So who cares if they get questions after his workout? That line of thinking, frankly, doesn't make too much sense.

The time to check him out is when he is having an open workout. Then, you don't appear too interested, because hey, you had a scout in the area, and let's see how he looks. I would bet almost every single team in the NFL had a scout within driving distance of that workout too, which makes it doubly sad for the TO and Rosenhaus show. Of course, that strategy would have backfired, as not one NFL team was even interested enough to show up. :lmao:

He's played on two teams the last two years, and neither was interested in bringing him back. And he's almost 38, and is coming back from blowing out his ACL---which if he IS back and healthy from, means he will have pretty much set a new record for coming back from that injury. I'm gonna go ahead and guess he is still an emotionally stunted dooshbag too. Just a guess tho.

Please. He is completely done. I will continue to monitor the situation, as I will take a lot of joy in watching him try and keep his name in the spotlight, all while his baby-mama's siphon off whichever funds he didn't squander already.

Am I just being a HaTeR, yo? You damn right, dawg. TO's God-given gifts allowed him to never have to face being an adult, or answering for his actions. And those are done. He is old, with a blown out knee, and no one willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he is a terrible person. Hopefully Rosenhaus will keep us up-to-date on future reality show plans that TO has, those are the only TV jobs I see in the future. Broadcasting? NFLN? Please. He makes Emmitt Smith look erudite.
An interested team does not need to scout TO. The dude isn't some highschool or college player. Every team knows what he's about and what he can do. What they don't know is if he's healthy enough. Interested teams will put him through their workout.

An interested team does not need to scout TO. The dude isn't some highschool or college player. Every team knows what he's about and what he can do. What they don't know is if he's healthy enough. Interested teams will put him through their workout.
I can buy that. Seems a lot more viable than teams not wanting to scout him because they are worried about the media speculation.

Racist? You missed the point. It's a bit nuanced, so whatever. If you're throwing around the race card in this context, I'm not going to bother.

I can buy that. Seems a lot more viable than teams not wanting to scout him because they are worried about the media speculation.
It's possible that there are more than one reason that teams chose not to send somebody. Another one being that they are not interested now, but could be in the future, making this workout insignificant to a choice they will be making in the future, considering that the most likely significant factor to them is how his knee is and they can work him out then.

Racist? You missed the point. It's a bit nuanced, so whatever. If you're throwing around the race card in this context, I'm not going to bother.
Fine. Take race out of it, and explain it to me. I repeat: If earrings bothered these guys, they wouldn't be NFL coaches. Ha, Shanahan?? He drafted more criminals than the Bengals. Pretty sure he doesn't have a hangup about jewelry, unless he was worried about his former draftees stealing it. Here's a tip, there's no 'nuance' there. It's a pretty straightforward concept: The earring shows he is not humble and ready to work. It shows he is still a me-first showman.

I think it's a silly concept. Because there are too many examples of hard-working players that wear earrings, or are covered in tats, or sound like idiots. No big deal, I know it was just an observation by you, but really, if you think NFL coaches are going to make a decision, even partially, based on TO's earrings, I think you underestimate them a bit.

told you someone would be interested...

Is anyone who pre-emptively picked him up dropping him already since it doesnt look like any teams is seriously interested right now and that he might be a month away from playing? I think Im dropping him instead of wasting a roster spot (seemingly)
really depends on your team and roster. Prolly won't be on a team for at least a month anyway (absent a big injury). Depends on your bye week situations. But I think you can leave him in the pool safely for a few weeks. However if there is a big weekend injury and he ends up getting linked with a particular team you might miss out on the move/have to burn waiver position/BB$ to do it, whereas he's a free add now...

Fine. Take race out of it, and explain it to me. I repeat: If earrings bothered these guys, they wouldn't be NFL coaches. Ha, Shanahan?? He drafted more criminals than the Bengals. Pretty sure he doesn't have a hangup about jewelry, unless he was worried about his former draftees stealing it. Here's a tip, there's no 'nuance' there. It's a pretty straightforward concept: The earring shows he is not humble and ready to work. It shows he is still a me-first showman.

I think it's a silly concept. Because there are too many examples of hard-working players that wear earrings, or are covered in tats, or sound like idiots. No big deal, I know it was just an observation by you, but really, if you think NFL coaches are going to make a decision, even partially, based on TO's earrings, I think you underestimate them a bit.
Yes, there is nuance there. There is a history with the guy. He knows it. We know it. Every coach in the league knows it. If he wants to help his chances of getting picked up, he'd do himself a favor by doing everything he can possibly do to show humility at every turn, including his attention to detail. This isn't a 21 year old rookie without a track record in locker rooms. This is a veteran with a very well known history of his ego being a toxic influence on entire organizations, who clearly hasn't had the thought cross his mind that he might want to demonstrate that he has changed. I'm not saying wearing earrings is factor to coaches in the NFL. I'm saying that it wouldn't surprise me if it was in this isolated case. There are indicators in people's behavior that point to where their minds are. This is a 37 year old man still acting like a child and certainly not showing an appropriate appreciation for his past behavior. I don't think the guy has learned anything on that front and the earrings didn't do anything to change that opinion.

really depends on your team and roster. Prolly won't be on a team for at least a month anyway (absent a big injury). Depends on your bye week situations. But I think you can leave him in the pool safely for a few weeks. However if there is a big weekend injury and he ends up getting linked with a particular team you might miss out on the move/have to burn waiver position/BB$ to do it, whereas he's a free add now...
I grabbed him for one of my teams and will be hanging on to him. If he was to get picked up and be successful, that success would likely kick in right around ff playoff time. That potential upside is much more valuable to me than most of the ww fodder. I'll probably keep him until week 13 or so. Injuries happen all the time to contending teams.

He's in the studio on NFLN... when asked if he was surprised that no NFL personnel were on hand for his work, T.O. said, "That won't discourage me. God was there. That's all that matters."

I think somewhere in Denver, a revelation may have just been received! :wub:
LOL

If anyone in the league is considering this toolbox, earrings don't matter. And no one is looking to see if he has changed. he's 37, that ship has sailed. He has matured, and this is as mature as he will ever be.

Yeah that make sense. That would explain why nobody from the NFL teams attend the Combine. They just watch an edited-for-TV version like the rest of us schmucks.Thanks.

Yeah that make sense. That would explain why nobody from the NFL teams attend the Combine. They just watch an edited-for-TV version like the rest of us schmucks.Thanks.
Yeah, these two scenarios are exactly the same.

Finally saw the workout and he seemed to have full flexibility and his cuts were fine. I doubt he is in football shape, no matter what the rest of his body looked like. The legs looked fine.

TO could still end up on a team that thinks it has a shot at a superbowl this year that sustains injuries.

But I wanted to stop and address the guy who was being a tool about the Tennessee post. Just a few weeks ago Tennessee was looking pretty good in a division that has one giant black hole in Indy, had a team missing its best player with no "for sure" when he was coming back (Hou) and another team that had zero offense (Jax). Things change quickly in the NFL. But Tennessee had as good a chance as anyone at that point. then they laid an egg. Things could still turn there.

But I doubt, at this point, TO lands there.

IMO Any team that picks him up would need a few things - 1. A solid shot at a superbowl; 2. A key injury at WR; 3. A solid locker room; 4. A veteran QB and 5. A solid coaching staff. Without the stars aligning, TO goes nowhere this year, not because he can't perform, but because he carries baggage.

But you never know. Things change quickly in the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread