What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans 2020 (1 Viewer)

Cameron Wake was better than expected. If he can do that for a full season with that secondary back there...look out.

Vrabel pointed out Sharpe ran the wrong route and Davis said the drop was all him. 

Mariota does need to improve but not much that game. A few. 

Lewis stunk and I'd just cut him with good backs on the WW. 
Maybe your right, I just feel is accuracy is bit off preventing some big plays. The ones that stuck out to me as I had a chance to see most of the game:

• The play above to CD. Clean pocket and makes CD leap and stretch to full capacity to make the catch.
  • The first long pass to Brown. Instead of hitting in stride (which may have a TD) he puts too much air under it allowing the DB to make any easy tackle.
  • There was a quick side screen to the RB (I think Lewis) that was an easy pass that hit shot high forcing the RB to stretch not allowing him to make a move before the defender tackled him.
  • The red zone pass to Brown in the right corner that he sailed over and out of bounds not allowing AJ to make a play on the ball.
I won’t continue to beat this drum as I do like this team and hope they do well. But with the amount of talent they have I would like to see Marcus start looking a little more comfortable and nailing some these throws especially when he has a clean pocket. You guys have a real shot at winning this division and potentially making some noise in the playoffs (Luck gone, Foles gone, HOU can’t protect Watson) and it would be frustrating if Mariota is the limiting factor. Great team win Sunday and good luck this week. 

2-2 after a tough stretch where many thought they'd be 0-4.  Getting Lewhan back is obviously huge.  Buffalo possibly down Josh Allen followed by Denver without Chubb.  Not to celebrate injuries, but looks like we've got a few good weeks ahead of us.  

All 4 AFC South teams are 2-2.  Pretty solid place to be given Lewhan's absence and the early shaky QB play

2-2 after a tough stretch where many thought they'd be 0-4.  Getting Lewhan back is obviously huge.  Buffalo possibly down Josh Allen followed by Denver without Chubb.  Not to celebrate injuries, but looks like we've got a few good weeks ahead of us.  

All 4 AFC South teams are 2-2.  Pretty solid place to be given Lewhan's absence and the early shaky QB play
Shaky QB play?  Mariota has 7 TDs and no interceptions on the year and has picked up many yards on the ground himself.  Considering the offensive line he has had he has done very well.

Talented team that needs a QB. Mariota not the answer and although Tannehil may provide a little more spark, I doubt it will be enough. If they weren’t in the same division it may make sense to inquire about Foles once he is healthy. Andy Dalton and Case Keenum may be available for a reasonable amount but probably not going to get you there either. Looks like this team will have to address that position in next years draft which should be a decent one to do it in.

Just talked with a saints fan who thinks they're better off with Teddy than Drew.

Chances Drew heads somewhere before hanging it up? (Probably zero, but for a year stop gap, I'd take him)

It seems unlikely, but if the Titans are in position to trade up for Herbert or burrow, I'd be on board. Fromm or love could probably be had without moving. I liked Fromm a lot but least week chilled that a bit.

Mariota has plenty of detractors, partially for good reason of never fulfilling the hype he came into the league with.

That said, having watched tons of Titans games this year, to me it seems like the offensive line is what truly needs to turn it around quick.

Even with the stoutest most consistent line, Mariota wouldn't have likely been All Pro. But the way the line is playing -- both in terms of ineffectual handling of the pass rush and not being dominant in run blocking -- any QB behind this line is going to struggle.

Tannehill deserves the shot as Mariota doesn't seem to be getting it done, but I am not convinced Tannehill can do that much better if the O line doesn't tighten up and perform.

Always thought that group looked really super solid on paper. Weird how much they've seemingly underperformed this year.

Just talked with a saints fan who thinks they're better off with Teddy than Drew.

Chances Drew heads somewhere before hanging it up? (Probably zero, but for a year stop gap, I'd take him)

It seems unlikely, but if the Titans are in position to trade up for Herbert or burrow, I'd be on board. Fromm or love could probably be had without moving. I liked Fromm a lot but least week chilled that a bit.
I really really hope Herbert doesn't have the misfortune to be drafted by the Titans

Tannehil as Titans Franchise QB

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

NFL executives hope the idiom is true whenever they acquire an underachieving player from another team, but it is uncommon to land a franchise player in such a situation. That's why the Tennessee Titans should be ecstatic with the performance and production they're getting from Ryan Tannehill. The Dolphins castoff is not only thriving as a starting quarterback, but he is looking like the player that many envisioned when Miami selected him eighth overall in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Since stepping in as the Titans' QB1 in Week 7, Tannehill is posting career highs as a starter in win percentage (.800), completion percentage (71.01%), yards per attempt (9.25), touchdown-to-interception ratio (10:3) and passer rating (114.9). Most importantly, No. 17 has been the spark plug to an offense that's averaged 13.1 more points per game and 93.9 more total yards per game under his direction while also posting the highest red-zone percentage (92.9) in the league during that span entering Week 13.

That's exceptional production from a QB1, particularly one who wasn't regarded as more than a mid-level starter prior to the season. In fact, I didn't even view Tannehill as a legitimate threat to the Titans' young would-be franchise quarterback (Marcus Mariota) when Tannehill was acquired in a March trade with the Dolphins that only cost the team a 2019 seventh-round pick and a 2020 fourth-round selection. (Tennessee also received a 2019 sixth-round pick in the deal.)

Let's be honest. Tannehill didn't move the needle during his seven-year stint in Miami, with a 62.8 percent completion rate, 123:75 touchdown-to-interception ratio and 87.0 passer rating in 88 career games. Although those numbers would be considered solid in most eras, I believe franchise quarterbacks should produce at a higher level in a league that's made it easier to throw the ball around the yard.

With that in mind, I believe the Titans deserve a ton of credit for sacrificing some draft currency to see if they could get better results from Tannehill in a different environment. Considering he was a top-10 pick with the size, athleticism and arm talent to entice evaluators during the pre-draft process, it was a worthwhile risk to sign No. 17 on a modest new contract that paid him $7 million guaranteed with incentives that could push the value of the deal to the $12 million mark.

When I played for the Green Bay Packers, then-general manager Ron Wolf once told me he learned from Al Davis that wise executives should always bring in discarded first-round picks for a trial run to see if they would benefit from a change of scenery. He told me that guys selected in the first round generally had A-level talent, and sometimes it took a different voice (in terms of coaching), scheme or overall environment (in terms of the locker room) to help them find their way as players.

Tannehill has certainly taken to Tennessee, where he's playing in a power-based scheme that better suits his talents as a dual-threat playmaker. The Titans' coaches appear to have a solid grasp on his strengths and weaknesses as an athletic, quick-rhythm passer with B-plus arm strength, using an assortment of quicks and intermediate rhythm throws from shotgun formations to complement traditional play-action and movement-based passes from run-heavy sets. With Tannehill showing tremendous confidence in those aspects, the ball has come out in a hurry, and the opposing pass rush hasn't been a factor.

Additionally, Tannehill has been more willing to throw the ball outside to his wide receivers instead of force-feeding the tight ends over the middle. This subtle change has stretched defenses horizontally and given defensive coordinators more to think about when preparing for the Titans' aerial attack.

Furthermore, Tannehill's athleticism and running skills have added some diversity to the team's sledgehammer rushing attack, which is anchored by Derrick Henry. It's not a coincidence that No. 22 has averaged 115.0 rushing yards per game since Tannehill's insertion into the lineup. The veteran quarterback isn't afraid to take off as a scrambler, and he is enough of a threat on zone-read/stretch-bootleg plays that defenders must account for him in the running game. The removal of a back-side pursuer has evened up the numbers at the line of scrimmage, giving Henry more room to run between the tackles.

The synergy between Tannehill, Henry, the offensive line and Tennessee's receivers has enabled first-year offensive coordinator Arthur Smith to settle in as a play-caller and craft an offensive identity that will give opponents problems down the stretch. Defensive coordinators must come up with tactics to handle a powerful rushing attack and an efficient quarterback with dual-threat capabilities. This is certainly not an easy task, and it is one of the reasons why the Titans should consider re-signing No. 17 as their long-term answer at the quarterback position, with Mariota bound for free agency after losing his job to Tannehill in the final year of his rookie contract.

I know Tannehill might not seem like the sexiest option on fantasy football draft boards, and his re-signing would shake up the mock draft world during the pre-draft process, but it is the best option for a team that's quietly emerging as a legitimate contender in the AFC South. By definition, franchise quarterbacks should provide hope to each and every member of the team, and their mere presence makes a difference in the outcome of games. And that's what Tannehill is doing for Tennessee.
@Bri - does he still get his receivers killed by not anticipating?

I have not felt this good about the Titans in years. Henry should lead them to the playoffs. Division is still in play with the Colts today and two left against the Texans. Just need the coaching staff to not get in the way.

You had to be wearing blinders to not see Tannehill was the superior QB from the second he signed.  The surprise was how long it took them to pull Mariota.

I think Bri was just rooting for his guy.
I don't think so. I was afraid of that but I rewatched the games during the bye for an article I wrote. The offense wasn't anywhere near the same.

Tannehill has been extremely fortunate to turn the ball over so much and win. In any context, that's a losing QB but...he bites the bullet and plays well shaking it off completely.

The WRs still aren't used well but you can see the team make a giant shift away from Davis to Brown. Mariota's gotta go through his reads and if he's first PLUS with whatever frustration the staff has "get it to Corey"...we just don't know. You can see something like that. The announcers talk about Davis and Smith determined to get him involved and...it's gotta be easier to be Tannehill and not "have to" include Corey as this stud he'll never be.

The Titans would frustrate everyone and pull Henry after he did well, over n over. He had some 60-70 yard games with not that many carries where it looked like he was getting rolling and why pull him? Running Henry regularly (as everyone knew too) was definitely key to getting this going.

The line was atrocious at times for Mariota. He didn't even get his feet set, sometimes didn't even finish getting setup and was smashed. Last week, Smith had these great plays where the linemen just bump the DL and basically let them through. Tanny throws a dump pass to the RB and the DL is suddenly wrong and out of position for charging in. Where was that? No Lewan. Pamphile was the supposed starter at RG but has yet to play a game so Mariota's starting RG did not start all summer. Saffold looked like the biggest bust free agent in years. He's settled down some and is better but one game the announcers are pointing out it's just one on one blocking, same everywhere, there's no excuse.  Also keep in mind, this line was on pace to break the NFL record for sacks allowed.

Jonnu has played a lot of FB since Tanny. Marcus couldn't use a protector? 

Tanney is running Marcus' running plays perfectly. Years of making the great college ad-libber stay in the pocket and their fear of him getting hurt...they never used his athleticism well. 

Vrabel is one of the worst I've ever seen at using his bench and end of roster- that, on top of, how awful he uses camp with some guys still needing a month to get rolling...it's ridiculous. Do you know what we've never heard under Vrabel? Camp competition. How in the is that even possible in today's NFL? Shouldn't there have been a battle at RG? Shouldn't someone have pushed Saffold so he had to get ready in camp? Tanney and Marcus...why was it so cleanly one then the other? 

(Marcus' last game was one of the worst ever. He was terrible. Many seem to keep remembering that game as if it was the whole season.)

Marcus has been allowed to call audibles and not allowed like a switch and it's been weird throughout his career. He's great at it, why take it away? This year though, one game he is continually looking at the sideline and just being his good boy self and not calling it despite seeing something. Their play would get smushed and he'd be looking at the sideline in the huddle. Tannehill was allowed to audible from day one because of his experience. Has Marcus never played? is he a rookie? Tannehill told a story where he met with Smith and Mariota before the Chiefs game. When Mariota was explaining to him what they were looking for in camp, he had a big problem with the time of it all. They finally got the WRs to stop chipping the DE and some shorter routes for the WRs. Good boy Marcus would have never stood up for himself and had that discussion and that's a problem that he has to change if he's going to be successful and kudos to Tanney for doing that. 

Cosell called the WR routes eight second routes and still to this day refers to the "8 second plays." That's absurd and I don't think Joe Montana could be successful needing eight seconds.

The Titans seem to have figured their offense out (still little WR usage but for the most part) and that's great moving forward, but why did they give Smith 8 games to figure things out? They can't find some old OC to check it out and advise? Can't ask Pees? There is so much going on right now that even fans that don't know the Titans could say it should have been there all year. 

I've been watching the NFL at least 30 years and Marcus has been part of three of the worst offenses I've ever seen designed. If that isn't the biggest dumbest waste of a #2 pick.

Tanney has turned the ball over more than Mariota already. His yardage is wayyyy over Mariota. Mariota has some of the best efficiency stats for red zone and 4th Q work but that said, I love how Tannehill has played when the game is on the line. He just chucks it and Mariota has never done that. Mariota's been real smart with games on the line but I'm an FF guy, I like the guy airing it out. In the first 3 Qs though, Tanney is just in a better situation now.  He throws bullets when it should be touch. Marcus would throw touch passes when it should be bullets. There are still halves where the team stinks and the offense is abysmal. They come out in the second half and are sharp. That's coaching and garbage game plans and ...it's awful. 

As I type, the FB totally whiffed on a block and Jonnu missed on a block and they popped the ball out of Tanney's arm. The announcers instantly blamed those two not Tanney. Marcus would have been called unaware and been blamed. Tanney got none because there's a shine on him. Truthfully it's a busted play so throw it away. Him not even turning his head is clearly unaware. 

My point of view is annoyed and frustrated with just how much the Titans ruin players with talent too. If you look at all the skill position players that people have been enthused about and how they didn't do squat (Is Davis really better than DGB or Hunter or Wright) it is just so frustrating. I was foolish to think Mariota was above that. He'll do well elsewhere. He'll be fine with a stable coach and system. In this game right now, there are two starters that were inactive last week, one of which was unemployed. The Titans have so many highly questionable decisions, I'm sure some stability will be good for any former Titan. 

Tannehill is about to come in. He's gonna forget that fumble and won't play the game any different. I love that. Mariota would come out nervous and hoping not to fumble again. It's absolutely pathetic that there is so much bad play that we need to consider who recovers from awfulness best, but that's where they are.

Tannehill isn't anywhere near as good as people are saying but  faaa I'm going to enjoy that. It's been like 10 years since the Titans had a QB people thought was good. He's got some good confidence going and you can see him commanding players and changing plays- he is clearly a guy that would do things differently since Miami and is doing that. I appreciate that so much. I think he is getting comfy where he can grow into whatever everyone thought he'd be 6? years ago. I'm enthused about that. The team is behind him and that's great. He has some input and that's new going back to even Vince Young. There's so much good going on.

You can't look at the first halves, sometimes 3 Qs, and think it's that much better with him. He's doing it in the fourth where he averages 157 yards last I looked. Subtract that from his stats and it's ugh. But he finds a way eventually and he does well despite that stuff- that's fantastic. Short of the great game called last week, it's still a poop show and it stinks to be a Titans fan and be outcoached every first half. It makes ya wonder (besides gameplan)  do they even practice well? warmup well? If every week it takes til the second half could they please adjust somehow!!! 

One site recently listed the number of linemen and WRs and RBs the Titans have had since Mariota came into the league. It's OMG awful. The Titans are headed toward a huge offseason where so many key players are free agents. Like I said, I see Tannehill coming into his own and grabbing the opportunity. In the most disgusted way, I'm going to predict a bunch of new players and wrecking any continuity for him from 2019 to 2020 (assuming he returns). The Titans do not seem to learn and adapt to whatever bit them. It's so frustrating.

They just pulled the FB, left Tanney unprotected so Leonard sacked him to end an ugly drive. Tanney's only got 64 yards passing and two completions to WRs. That's the same. It's unacceptable. Watch the second half though

I don't think so. I was afraid of that but I rewatched the games during the bye for an article I wrote. The offense wasn't anywhere near the same.

Tannehill has been extremely fortunate to turn the ball over so much and win. In any context, that's a losing QB but...he bites the bullet and plays well shaking it off completely.

The WRs still aren't used well but you can see the team make a giant shift away from Davis to Brown. Mariota's gotta go through his reads and if he's first PLUS with whatever frustration the staff has "get it to Corey"...we just don't know. You can see something like that. The announcers talk about Davis and Smith determined to get him involved and...it's gotta be easier to be Tannehill and not "have to" include Corey as this stud he'll never be.

The Titans would frustrate everyone and pull Henry after he did well, over n over. He had some 60-70 yard games with not that many carries where it looked like he was getting rolling and why pull him? Running Henry regularly (as everyone knew too) was definitely key to getting this going.

The line was atrocious at times for Mariota. He didn't even get his feet set, sometimes didn't even finish getting setup and was smashed. Last week, Smith had these great plays where the linemen just bump the DL and basically let them through. Tanny throws a dump pass to the RB and the DL is suddenly wrong and out of position for charging in. Where was that? No Lewan. Pamphile was the supposed starter at RG but has yet to play a game so Mariota's starting RG did not start all summer. Saffold looked like the biggest bust free agent in years. He's settled down some and is better but one game the announcers are pointing out it's just one on one blocking, same everywhere, there's no excuse.  Also keep in mind, this line was on pace to break the NFL record for sacks allowed.

Jonnu has played a lot of FB since Tanny. Marcus couldn't use a protector? 

Tanney is running Marcus' running plays perfectly. Years of making the great college ad-libber stay in the pocket and their fear of him getting hurt...they never used his athleticism well. 

Vrabel is one of the worst I've ever seen at using his bench and end of roster- that, on top of, how awful he uses camp with some guys still needing a month to get rolling...it's ridiculous. Do you know what we've never heard under Vrabel? Camp competition. How in the is that even possible in today's NFL? Shouldn't there have been a battle at RG? Shouldn't someone have pushed Saffold so he had to get ready in camp? Tanney and Marcus...why was it so cleanly one then the other? 

(Marcus' last game was one of the worst ever. He was terrible. Many seem to keep remembering that game as if it was the whole season.)

Marcus has been allowed to call audibles and not allowed like a switch and it's been weird throughout his career. He's great at it, why take it away? This year though, one game he is continually looking at the sideline and just being his good boy self and not calling it despite seeing something. Their play would get smushed and he'd be looking at the sideline in the huddle. Tannehill was allowed to audible from day one because of his experience. Has Marcus never played? is he a rookie? Tannehill told a story where he met with Smith and Mariota before the Chiefs game. When Mariota was explaining to him what they were looking for in camp, he had a big problem with the time of it all. They finally got the WRs to stop chipping the DE and some shorter routes for the WRs. Good boy Marcus would have never stood up for himself and had that discussion and that's a problem that he has to change if he's going to be successful and kudos to Tanney for doing that. 

Cosell called the WR routes eight second routes and still to this day refers to the "8 second plays." That's absurd and I don't think Joe Montana could be successful needing eight seconds.

The Titans seem to have figured their offense out (still little WR usage but for the most part) and that's great moving forward, but why did they give Smith 8 games to figure things out? They can't find some old OC to check it out and advise? Can't ask Pees? There is so much going on right now that even fans that don't know the Titans could say it should have been there all year. 

I've been watching the NFL at least 30 years and Marcus has been part of three of the worst offenses I've ever seen designed. If that isn't the biggest dumbest waste of a #2 pick.

Tanney has turned the ball over more than Mariota already. His yardage is wayyyy over Mariota. Mariota has some of the best efficiency stats for red zone and 4th Q work but that said, I love how Tannehill has played when the game is on the line. He just chucks it and Mariota has never done that. Mariota's been real smart with games on the line but I'm an FF guy, I like the guy airing it out. In the first 3 Qs though, Tanney is just in a better situation now.  He throws bullets when it should be touch. Marcus would throw touch passes when it should be bullets. There are still halves where the team stinks and the offense is abysmal. They come out in the second half and are sharp. That's coaching and garbage game plans and ...it's awful. 

As I type, the FB totally whiffed on a block and Jonnu missed on a block and they popped the ball out of Tanney's arm. The announcers instantly blamed those two not Tanney. Marcus would have been called unaware and been blamed. Tanney got none because there's a shine on him. Truthfully it's a busted play so throw it away. Him not even turning his head is clearly unaware. 

My point of view is annoyed and frustrated with just how much the Titans ruin players with talent too. If you look at all the skill position players that people have been enthused about and how they didn't do squat (Is Davis really better than DGB or Hunter or Wright) it is just so frustrating. I was foolish to think Mariota was above that. He'll do well elsewhere. He'll be fine with a stable coach and system. In this game right now, there are two starters that were inactive last week, one of which was unemployed. The Titans have so many highly questionable decisions, I'm sure some stability will be good for any former Titan. 

Tannehill is about to come in. He's gonna forget that fumble and won't play the game any different. I love that. Mariota would come out nervous and hoping not to fumble again. It's absolutely pathetic that there is so much bad play that we need to consider who recovers from awfulness best, but that's where they are.

Tannehill isn't anywhere near as good as people are saying but  faaa I'm going to enjoy that. It's been like 10 years since the Titans had a QB people thought was good. He's got some good confidence going and you can see him commanding players and changing plays- he is clearly a guy that would do things differently since Miami and is doing that. I appreciate that so much. I think he is getting comfy where he can grow into whatever everyone thought he'd be 6? years ago. I'm enthused about that. The team is behind him and that's great. He has some input and that's new going back to even Vince Young. There's so much good going on.

You can't look at the first halves, sometimes 3 Qs, and think it's that much better with him. He's doing it in the fourth where he averages 157 yards last I looked. Subtract that from his stats and it's ugh. But he finds a way eventually and he does well despite that stuff- that's fantastic. Short of the great game called last week, it's still a poop show and it stinks to be a Titans fan and be outcoached every first half. It makes ya wonder (besides gameplan)  do they even practice well? warmup well? If every week it takes til the second half could they please adjust somehow!!! 

One site recently listed the number of linemen and WRs and RBs the Titans have had since Mariota came into the league. It's OMG awful. The Titans are headed toward a huge offseason where so many key players are free agents. Like I said, I see Tannehill coming into his own and grabbing the opportunity. In the most disgusted way, I'm going to predict a bunch of new players and wrecking any continuity for him from 2019 to 2020 (assuming he returns). The Titans do not seem to learn and adapt to whatever bit them. It's so frustrating.

They just pulled the FB, left Tanney unprotected so Leonard sacked him to end an ugly drive. Tanney's only got 64 yards passing and two completions to WRs. That's the same. It's unacceptable. Watch the second half though
That is a big block of words.

Skimming it - it appears to be knocking Tannehill.  

Which isn't the point.  The point is that EVEN Tannehill is the clearcut better QB on the roster.

matuski said:
That is a big block of words.

Skimming it - it appears to be knocking Tannehill.  

Which isn't the point.  The point is that EVEN Tannehill is the clearcut better QB on the roster.
You should read it more closely

Should the Titans make a net three year deal with Tannehill? Make a play for Bridgewater? 

Who else?

Keep tannehill. 

Draft Fromm or Eason
That's what I would do (except I know nothing about Fromm or Eason).

They must keep Henry also. 

Is Logan Ryan really worth 10+ millions? 

I'd probably keep Kelly over Conklin too

Say approx 50-60m cap space to keep Tannehill, Henry and a RT

Looks like a quiet off season UFA wise and a pretty crucial draft. CB, OG/OL, dev QB

Looks like a quiet off season UFA wise and a pretty crucial draft. CB, OG/OL, dev QB
He's worth 10. But he'll probably cost $13+ next year. I'd still keep him for that but it gets tighter. 

He's worth 10. But he'll probably cost $13+ next year. I'd still keep him for that but it gets tighter. 
Well, the Titans get Butler back at 13.6m, stand to lose Milton, Brock and Sims (UFA) and have Tye Smith (RFA) and Orr (ERFA - currently listed at Ourlads as SS) at contract's end as well

Don't know if Butler/Ryan is better than Ryan/Sims, but would seem off hand that at least the second configuration could be cheaper in the long run. Getting rid of Butler (assuming you can get Ryan at the same price or cheaper) carries a 6m cap charge (accumulated bonus)

Tannehill the first three Qs 941 yards 7 TDs 17 sacks 2 INT

Mariota the first three Qs 932 yards 5 TD 18 sacks 2 INT

Henry is averaging 7.9ypc  in the third Q in recent games.

I take that as Henry dominates the third and they've done well passing in the fourth. 

Well, the Titans get Butler back at 13.6m, stand to lose Milton, Brock and Sims (UFA) and have Tye Smith (RFA) and Orr (ERFA - currently listed at Ourlads as SS) at contract's end as well

Don't know if Butler/Ryan is better than Ryan/Sims, but would seem off hand that at least the second configuration could be cheaper in the long run. Getting rid of Butler (assuming you can get Ryan at the same price or cheaper) carries a 6m cap charge (accumulated bonus)
Tye Smith always gets his hands on the ball. He went unclaimed much of this year so he's probably back.

Sims doesn't fetch anything in trade so I'm not sure if he'll have much free agent value.

Adoree is probably a 5th year contract because he was finally showing signs

Ryan has played safety and is interested in playing safety. He's a top 10 CB now so when he gets old that offers some flexibility. 

I bet the secondary stays the same and those are re-signed. Maybe a draft pick thrown in to battle Cruik and some CB

Kelly has already voiced his desire to stay while Conklin's agent said he wants $ elsewhere. Tannehill seems like a lock to re-sign. 

Hurts doesn't seem to have as man fans as normally happens when a QB puts up stats like him. There's a real negative to his Alabama days that people don't seem to be chalking up to progress at OU.  I think there will be a few teams that see him available later so they go with something else in the first. Titans would probably be a tackle. The Titans loved Will Grier last draft so I wouldn't be surprised if they traded a later pick for him since Carolina seems OK with Allen-even when he struggles, no one is asking for Cam or Will.

I think Eason goes to whatever NFL team signs his college coach, Peterson. With his content with life speech, he could be anything from advisor to head coach or....idk but he has strong NFL interest.

My boy Alex McGough signed with the Texans as the highest paid PS player in NFL history (a wow sum) and then they added him to the active roster and turned down trades. The Texans love him but I'd look for them to try and trade him. At some points this past summer, he was ahead of Minshew and that after Pete Carroll loved him the summer before. I'd either look for him to be traded or make some $ from the Texans as a valued backup.

Minshew makes me think they Jags will beg someone to take Foles and his contract. 

Brady to TEN is still a hmm rumor but it hasn't died down so...idk, As I said years ago, I expect Mariota to go to Belichick because he's heaped on way too much praise over the years.

I expect Davis to be traded. 

Vaccaro is probably on the block because Hooker has proven capable. They'd need a safety if so, so Vaccaro wouldn't be traded cheaply.

The Titans will lose Austin Johnson and they'll need a DL or two. They have four to feel good about so, for depth.

OLB is a big need if you believe in playmakers. It's not if you don't.  Failing to add John Simon and Justin Houston but signing Cameron Wake showed their hand here. With Wake likely retiring, they probably add an OLB. Their sacks stats from typical positions are not good, but the "manufactured" sacks by Pees do make up for it. I think they'll go tackle or QB but if the right guy falls...

Tye Smith always gets his hands on the ball. He went unclaimed much of this year so he's probably back.

Sims doesn't fetch anything in trade so I'm not sure if he'll have much free agent value.

Adoree is probably a 5th year contract because he was finally showing signs

Ryan has played safety and is interested in playing safety. He's a top 10 CB now so when he gets old that offers some flexibility. 

I bet the secondary stays the same and those are re-signed. Maybe a draft pick thrown in to battle Cruik and some CB
You think that is doable cap wise?

You think that is doable cap wise?
Sure, they'll have a lot of cap money available and this is the last year of the CBA so it takes a pretty good leap or increase this year too. One site wrote how they could transition tag Tannehill and franchise tag Henry and still have plenty. 

I think franchising Henry is what they will do. I don't know why-I'm convinced- but they don't seem convinced he's the man and ...it's just not normal how things are. He's leading the league in rushing since his breakout, close to the top this year and there isn't the usual excitement about it. Maybe the tag buys them a year to decide whether to pay him a ton or not for several years? Henry is really their only back some games. Lewis stinks and/or doesn't play much and we've seen him play third down and pickup the blitz or catch a dump pass so he's answered every question imo. Also, I think they need at least two backs and if Jonnu is supposed to be Delanie's replacement, then a FB. Renember all the scat backs JRob has signed? Besides Henry, he hasn't really even attempted to draft or sign a complete back other than that trade for Murray. They're toast if Henry gets hurt and the lack of depth is so suprising in today's game where RBs are a dime a dozen outside the top 5. 

It's early, but it's easy to like how the Titans have been playing lately.

Texans twice and the saints are going to be tough. Figure if they win 2 they're in either as division or wc. Go 1-2 and probably not. Texans benefit from playing the Bucs between their games. 

But, beat the Texans twice, take the division, then probably play the bills... Thinking ahead a bit much but the road is there for them. 

Just have to play their best ball the next 3 weeks.

It's early, but it's easy to like how the Titans have been playing lately.

Texans twice and the saints are going to be tough. Figure if they win 2 they're in either as division or wc. Go 1-2 and probably not. Texans benefit from playing the Bucs between their games. 

But, beat the Texans twice, take the division, then probably play the bills... Thinking ahead a bit much but the road is there for them. 

Just have to play their best ball the next 3 weeks.
It’s basically division or no playoffs when you look at remaining schedules. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s basically division or no playoffs when you look at remaining schedules. 
Yeah, most likely true. I'm not sure how the tie breakers might go if the Texans and Titans split, and Tennessee beats new Orleans - but that seems unlikely.

-OZ- said:
Yeah, most likely true. I'm not sure how the tie breakers might go if the Texans and Titans split, and Tennessee beats new Orleans - but that seems unlikely.
link

If the Titans split with Houston and beat New Orleans to finish 10-6...

They would need two Steelers losses (vs BUF, at NYJ, at BAL) OR

three Patriots losses (at CIN, vs BUF, vs MIA) OR

three Bills losses (at PIT, at NE, vs NYJ) to win the wildcard.
All very unlikely.

link

All very unlikely.
I guess the Texans could lose to Tampa. 

But even my optimistic self doesn't give the Titans much of a chance against the saints in NO. 

Steelers probably lose to Buffalo and Baltimore. Unless Baltimore has home field wrapped up.

Every other playoff hopeful is probably thinking the same thing, but how good would Suggs look rotating in here for the playoff push? 

Sounds weird, might be thinking too much about this, but I really like playing the Patriots next week instead of KC (jinx, I know)

But then it's Baltimore anyway so it probably doesn't matter. Still seems a lot more likely to win in Gillette than Arrowhead. 

Before we jump into the excitement of the upcoming playoff game, I wanna give some credit to how the Titans handled some things this year. It hasn't been perfect, and a lot could have gone wrong, but...

- Playoffs!

- Finally got a definitive answer on whether Mariota can be "the guy". Too bad it didn't work for him here, but they gave him as much of a chance as they could afford without getting into a hole so deep they couldn't dig themselves out of it. I wish him well wherever he ends up playing next.

- Trading for Tannehill was brilliant. Everyone thought it was a backup plan for potential injury to Mariota, but it was a backup plan for Mariota being ineffective. We'll never know if that was always the reason but, in hindsight, that looks like a great offseason move.

- Another RB rushing title. For a team with such an established history of a strong rushing game, it's been a long time since a Titan finished first.

- Rested Henry during a meaningless week 16 non-conference game. Smart. A win would have been nice, but a rested DH was necessary.

- AJ Brown. Finally, a real stud WR. After all these years of underperforming draft picks and coaches' failure to develop talent...BOOM!

- WIN and in. It turns out (due to Steelers loss) this week 17 win wasn't necessary to earn a playoff spot. This Titans team could have backed into the playoffs, but they didn't. They took matters into their own hands in week 17. There was a job to be done, and they did it. Sure, the Texans weren't going to risk much to win this game, but they were still competitive until the Titans slammed that door shut. Momentum is a thing. Beating your division champs by 3 touchdowns is exactly how you want to head into your first playoff game.

Users who are viewing this thread