What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans offseason 2015 (1 Viewer)

Much of this presser bugged me-

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Coach-Whisenhunts-Friday-Practice-Report/23384ace-afe5-4cce-8ad2-aa0cfd105b28

If Zach's healthy and practicing play him!

You're weak at T and one gets a concussion at an NFL in-season practice?

And then really? You don't know? No plan? Nothing .... your response is "I don't know"?????

(on the best way to approach Andrew Luck)

I don’t know. He doesn’t seem to get rattled too much. I think you’ve just got to make sure that you don’t let him beat you with his feet. You know he can beat you with his throwing the ball, but there’s times when he can pull it down and run with it, too, so I think it’s really more about gap integrity and, obviously, trying to cover their guys. You’ve got to be very disciplined, and you’ve got to mix what you’re trying to do to them. It’s tough.

So, it's official,they mailed it in for this year as an organization, at the very least.

Is it just the coaching staff or does it include the FO?

msommer said:
So, it's official,they mailed it in for this year as an organization, at the very least.

Is it just the coaching staff or does it include the FO?
Tommy Smith seems to have handled things perfectly despite being upset.

If you read his comments during the summer, to September, October, November, December....they change.

He is very supportive of everyone. He stands by his GM and his coach and then...now it's starting to change.

I think it's wrong to throw a coach or GM under the bus during the season and kudos to him for standing by them.

He has recently discussed the Titans roster and their overhaul and needing another overhaul. He mentioned tough guys in year's past and we all know they got rid of so many hard working types when Whisenhunt came. His reaction to Lewan replacing Roos- a position we already had. That's right! He should have been RT!

He mentioned McNair and George.

Mariani doing well in Chicago and them loving him, I noticed, but I didn't know Mariani is still involved in some charities in TEN and that seemed to bug him like ummm why don't we have this guy? Isn't that what we want?

Is Klug a free agent? I think it was him he was saying they need more of. I assumed willingness to do anything, tough guy etc.

I got the impression he feels he has to get his hands dirty and demand to know exactly what their plan is with everything while in the past he gave them more latitude. Also that he doesn't want to and is uncomfy having to do that. So what are we doing at WR? at DT? at CB? which free agents? who in the draft? My gut says if he doesn't like their answers one or both are gone.

He wants a Supe in 2017 or 2018 and says it like "so get it done" type expected result.

I've changed my opinion. Titans need to fire the head coach AND the GM. I'm sure they will fire neither.

Titans are in a good spot for a new GM/coach combination. High pick, tons of cap space, and a young thriving city desperate for a good football team.

But I expect nothing good to happen. Bad organization man

CBS reported that Webster was at risk to lose his job after an interview with Tommy Smith (GM's often pick their coaches so that might be the first step to replace both, if so)

After the other reporters had left, Terry McCormick asked Smith if both would be retained and he said "yes". <---The timing is terrible to get a truthful, genuine answer. Terry has covered the Titans a long time though.

Also, Webster made comments when hiring that a coach needed to have a plan but also be flexible. Just get me this guy, I'll make it work, were words that he knew to always lead to failure.

Today he got upset when the comments were read back to him and asked about Whisenhunt's plan and flexibility using the players...gave a no comment, then something like that's something they won't discuss in the press.

I'd say discussions and fireworks are beginning. I suppose this will carry on and things have to play out. Guys like Sankey have to be a discussion point. You gave me a bad (?lesser than expected? whatever word) player, you wanted the top RB, you didn't play him much....whatever.

Again, Antonio Andrews has been mentioned by Webster numerous times. He's barely played.

Didn't draft a QB in the past draft, said he could fix Locker

The massive loss of quality in the OL and I actually hope that Webster noticed Whisenhunt complimenting Warmack (who has had a dreadful season) tonight

Penalties and discipline-Whisenhunt said he thought they had a more disciplined team, guess he figured wrong or somesuch and ummmmm coach that's on you. The two guys before you sat players that did dopey stuff even starters.

Supposedly Nate got all emotional and Whisenhunt didn't dispute that he won't return, thanked him, complimented him etc.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen on #Titans: "They are content with Zach Mettenberger" and don't feel urgency to use high draft pick on a quarterback.

Bri said:
ESPN's Chris Mortensen on #Titans: "They are content with Zach Mettenberger" and don't feel urgency to use high draft pick on a quarterback.
In other words, we want to test the trade value of the 1.02 pick.Would Tenn actually be serious contended to trade for Cutler? Now that Trestman is out in Chi, I think Cutlers as good as gone. Chi could swap picks and move up to take their next QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bri said:
In other words, we want to test the trade value of the 1.02 pick.Would Tenn actually be serious contended to trade for Cutler? Now that Trestman is out in Chi, I think Cutlers as good as gone. Chi could swap picks and move up to take their next QB.
If the Titans trade the 1.02 they need a lot more than Cutler and the Bears pick.

Bri said:
If the Titans trade the 1.02 they need a lot more than Cutler and the Bears pick.
I didn't say that's all they would get.

Bri said:
I've seen reports that the Bears would actually trade a mid-round pick and Cutler to get rid of his contract.

If the Titans can get, for example, a 4th and get Cutler, it's a no-brainer. You have Cutler and mettenberger and you use the 1.02 pick to trade down to a team looking to get Jameis and fill a roster that badly needs filling with good, young talent.

BUT, that would require nailing the draft picks, something the Titans have not done a good job of for awhile.

I would be totally fine with cutting Oher moving Stevens to RT and re-signing Roos.

I wish they'd think of Stevens as an option at T when he gets healthy

I would be totally fine with cutting Oher moving Stevens to RT and re-signing Roos.

Is trading oher for cutler and a pick a viable option?

Today, I feel like they'd trade for 6 QBs and ignore their OL completely and set us up for a bad year again and after they cut 4 of those six, it'll hurt the cap for years to come soooo yeah I'm bitter and have no confidence in their GM. It's not that I think Webster stinks but I feel a new influence affecting moves and blame Whisenhunt because I don't know who that new influence is. Oher burns me in many ways. It was common knowledge that he stunk and the Ravens were like "see ya" oh but we jumped right on that train and stayed even when he was out-performed in preseason. We knew there were issues with the Gs and....I used to feel he addressed problems we all spoke of. Now I feel someone's ego involved in "fixing" players and making them work and....hate that stuff-just get a better players. "Fix" some late draft pick or backup player.

I don't think the Bears trade Cutler. They'd need a QB to replace him and they are like the Titans with so many other needs. They have a QB WR, WR, TE, and RB that make a pretty decent offense. I think spend money on an offensive minded coach was a good plan that didn't work out for them, but they should do it again anyway. Some of these key players might not be top shelf in 3 years when a rookie QB hits a good point in his own career. A rookie QB seems like a bad plan to me for them.

Cutler's contract is ridiculous. If the Pats OC takes over a team and loves him, fine, otherwise I don't see a team wanting that contract and I don't think NFL teams are allowed to pay some of a contract anymore like send some $ with Cutler.

I don't think he's traded unless he renegotiates and it's in his best interest to sit tight, collect what he gets, then be a free agent who can sign where he wants.

Is trading oher for cutler and a pick a viable option?
I wish. Oher is going to be dead money on the cap...sooo see that dagger coming.

I liked Terren in his brief appearances. Keep that big beast as depth

Would Titan fans be happier with Cutler? I think he is who he is and with a fairly weak supporting staff I cannot see him being a good choice over developing Mettenberger.

The Whiz after-season presser was exactly what I would expect from this deadbeat retread coach. Horrible

Nice article about Sankey

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/2014/12/31/sankey-must/21092717/

Whisenhunt still has love there- "I certainly feel like Bishop Sankey can be an outstanding running back for us," coach Ken Whisenhunt said. "We didn't get a chance to give him enough carries to show everybody else that he can do that, so hopefully that'll be something that we do a better job of next season."
Didn't get a chance?
Exactly. He's the coach, he could have....

Would Titan fans be happier with Cutler? I think he is who he is and with a fairly weak supporting staff I cannot see him being a good choice over developing Mettenberger.
In the least, I think Mett is Cutler or Jeff George. I'm hoping for more, but that arm makes me feel confident in a certain number of yards n stats. Wanna discuss his head, his maturation, his supposed cement feet....fine, but that arm is special where I feel comfy predicting 3k yards without blinking. Today they have no WRs except Wright and bleh. We'll see by the time the season starts. Soooo I don't consider Cutler an upgrade, maybe an advancement in age less learning and all, but...surely not worth that $. I'd rather one of his WRs

Agree Bri. Don't want to see Cutler in TEN. He seems uncoachable, a tease and folds in big games. He also has a nasty contract, granted it can be renegotiated but doubt he'll taka a large haircut on the guaranteed money...

One issue I think this team has is the need to change some policy and decide that it's OK to pay big $ to a CB. They can't always be developing

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans signed TE Dorin Dickerson to a futures contract.

Dickerson (6-1, 226) originally joined the Titans last June, was injured early in training camp and did not play during the 2014 season. He has four years of playing experience, split between Houston, Buffalo and Detroit.

Dickerson has 11 career receptions for 151 yards during his 23 NFL games. He earned first-team All-America honors at the University of Pittsburgh during his senior season and was a seventh-round selection by the Houston Texans in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Month old article but started with premise of the Titans getting first or second pick so...

Amari Cooper and trading down thoughts http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/153621/could-amari-cooper-be-like-marvin-harrison-for-titans

Compares Cooper to Marvin Harrison

Also this for defensive playmaker, following up on trade down scenario :

As for guys who could be quality OLB pass-rush options for the Titans later in the draft, Kiper points to Clemson's Vic Beasley (who Kiper has 15th), Georgia's Leonard Floyd (17th) if he comes out, Kentucky's Bud Dupree (second round), Washington's Hau'Oli Kikaha (second round), Harvard's Zach Hodges (third or fourth round) and Oregon's Tony Washington (third or fourth round).

Twitter scenarios have Titans working out a sweet trade down deal, then the Bucs stepping in and doing that same deal with the team that was going to trade with the Titans.

This is inconsequential now, but if the rumor persists, the Titans could be very quiet about potential trades.

Also if this rumor persists, it'll affect pre-draft value (could trade with either team) but make something happen last minute after the Bucs select on draft day.

Really a nothing rumor, but I'm going to see if it's still hanging around in a few months.

I know Bud is dead. Tommy obviously cares nothing about the team and just inherited it. He might as well live in China. No real leadership in the organization. The whole team is a mess and fans are losing interest. They need new ownership to give the team some hope. The team hasn't worth a #### since they fired Floyd.

I know Bud is dead. Tommy obviously cares nothing about the team and just inherited it. He might as well live in China. No real leadership in the organization. The whole team is a mess and fans are losing interest. They need new ownership to give the team some hope. The team hasn't worth a #### since they fired Floyd.
How's McCaskey working out for you? Hands on enough?

Not sure what Bears have to do with the Titans. Everyone in Nashville feels the same way. The team is headed nowhere and needs a huge change in direction.

I'm not sure how I feel about Tommy. When it was rumored that he was being proper and showing his support for the coach til the right time to let him go, I thought he was playing that role perfectly. Since Whisenhunt wasn't fired, it threw me. There's like 10 of us still hoping despite the obvious backing, and maybe he's gone after the Senior Bowl and didn't want to miss getting that up close experience and his notes from it but....he's staying.

He said he wants a Supe in 2016 or 2017 (can't recall) and when he speaks it's like "give it to me or else." I like an owner speaking that way. Supposedly he brings it up and the GM and coach have to explain how they will give him that, what they're doing toward that goal etc.

I did appreciate his anger and spoken embarrassment at the team's performance. Hearing him, I was saying to the computer "that's right, that's right" and then it lacked a resulting "so we're going to..." discussion.

The only thing he's publicly said and the GM has begun working on is that no one on the roster is safe. They had this discussion with Nate and let him go.

I'm still stuck on Munchak's attitude and mindset. In today's NFL, the Titans (and every team) need someone to have significant power in personnel that will be brutally honest. You ran a nice route but you dropped the ball. You looked pretty, but gained a yard on that carry. You were there, but the WR caught the ball.

Fisher had several LBs get old in his day and it was yes he tackled the guy but being a step slow to get there gave them another yard.

Munchak pulled anyone and everyone for messing up and the next week he gave them their chance again. If he were there Hunter would get a few passes and be pulled. He wouldn't be running routes and ignored. Sankey would get the rock and be pulled if he didn't run tough, he wouldn't just be benched and/or turned into a 3rd down back that "never" gets a carry.

I like this for a belief that the player can get it done. Shows the team no favoritism or coddling. The player knows right where he stands. There's a feeling that IF IF IF it happens, the team will move forward and improve the next thing. With Whisenhunt, I did not feel any issue was solved or dealt with in a manner that it would be.

I want a throwback guy in personnel and I don't care if Munchak has a brother and it's him or really who it is. It could be a computer geek that only watches stats. Give us fans some real evaluation to hang our hats on.

Whisenhunt also showed a real poor ability to evaluate potential players and this concerns me. McCluster was nothing that he said, not even used as he said. Now I know his ability from KC and as such I totally put that on Whisenhunt. During the pressers about Oher's signings, during the summer when the backups were performing real well and hungrier than him...he did nothing but make it seem like dead man walking. Locker....could he have been more wrong?

Looking back, Levitre was his own critic and kudos to him, but where was the coaching and evaluation there? What's Bruce Matthews doing now? Is there a reason he can't come back as OL coach? I haven't read that he got a different job. If so, can't they sign a myriad of great former linemen to come back and coach?

Phillips and Derrick didn't do well as a backer and made plays when they put their hand in the dirt. Where was their development and coaching?

I didn't see much double-coverage this year at all. I get that they want them to learn a system and grow from experience but it also means the Titans are the only team to not do this against a top WR and yet they have one of the best safeties. One DB with an odd name was cut, otherwise I didn't see any benching and such for poor play. I was angry that we signed a former 2nd round pick of the Titans, he looked great in the fourth Q one game, and then went back to being a special teamer. Why can't they try him next game like a reward for good play? I would guess he had 3 passes defensed in that Q and the QB went away from him. We haven't seen that since Verner, I don't care if he was covering a scrub or a stud, he did everything necessary so give him a shot next week. Instead we go back to bleeding who is the closest fan just right there watching the WR catch it. This right here would help me, as a fan, feel better, It kills me to think "stick your hands out, hit him, do something!"

Titans need a difference maker at qb.
Cooper in the 1st.

Trade up one spot to get into the 1st and take Hundley.

:championship:
Is Hundley going in the 1st?
He's definitely going in the 2nd IMO, so the smart thing to do is move up to the first to get the 5th year option. The Vikings are going to look very smart for doing that in a few years when it's time to negotiate a contract with Bridgewater.

ETA: it cost the Vikings their 4th to move up 8 spots so the price to go up one spot will be much lower.

cstu said:
FUBAR said:
cstu said:
Titans need a difference maker at qb.
Cooper in the 1st.

Trade up one spot to get into the 1st and take Hundley.

:championship:
Is Hundley going in the 1st?
He's definitely going in the 2nd IMO, so the smart thing to do is move up to the first to get the 5th year option. The Vikings are going to look very smart for doing that in a few years when it's time to negotiate a contract with Bridgewater.

ETA: it cost the Vikings their 4th to move up 8 spots so the price to go up one spot will be much lower.
What the Vikings did is a smart play, absolutely. Any team targeting a QB in that range would be smart to try and move up and grab their guy at the end of the first round.

I'm not sure Whisenhunt would target Hundley, though.

I'm not sure Whisenhunt would target Hundley, though.
Hundley was a better prospect when he was eligible for the draft last year and did nothing to hurt his draft stock. The consistency through all three years is impressive - 66-69% completions, 8.0-8.6 AY/A and decreased his INT's every year. His INT rate the past two years is an excellent 1.8%.

I do like Mettenberger, but he's on par as a passer with Hundley and lacks Hundley's running ability. Hopefully Whisenhunt sees this. If they can get a good QB (whether Mett or Hundley) out of a 2nd and 6th then they've done well.

Users who are viewing this thread