What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tlaib wants $20.00 an hour minimum wage. (1 Viewer)

For the kiosk salesmen?  Absolutely nothing.
This is happening regardless of minimum wage. Ronald McDonald would personally install a squad of Terminator T-800s and Johnny 5's in there if he gets to clear another 14 cents per transaction.

I am thinking $100 per hour makes more sense.  Then we can all afford new green solar powered cars and a wind farm to power our homes, buy fresh clean bottled water, and have enough money left to donate to the rest of the world to buy housing and food.  I just solved all the world's problems.  

Last edited by a moderator:
when labor costs rise, the companies HAVE to compensate ... by raising the cost of their goods/services, cutting labor, benefits ... something

Bernie Sanders campaign learned that the hard way a week or two back - raising their labor costs equaled laying people off

the worst of this is ... the people making $35 an hour? they'll pay way more for their goods and services ... and yet their wages didn't go up any

veterans and SS recipients will love that 

when labor costs rise, the companies HAVE to compensate ... by raising the cost of their goods/services, cutting labor, benefits ... something

Bernie Sanders campaign learned that the hard way a week or two back - raising their labor costs equaled laying people off

the worst of this is ... the people making $35 an hour? they'll pay way more for their goods and services ... and yet their wages didn't go up any

I don't believe he laid anyone off.

They will limit the time people can work so they aren't working 60 hours a week on a salaried job of 36K a year. Same pay, less hours worked. They also provide health benefits, paid time off, and sick time.

The General said:
We love our Mcdonalds in here! That is a good point you made. Perhaps McDonalds could lower their franchise fees to help subsidize. Complicated issue.

My town slowly raised the minimum wage to $15. It seems to have mixed effects, but all in all it seems positive. Variety of things occurred stuff like places reducing hours, but people were making about the same because of the larger hourly wage. Working less on the deep fryer but making the same amount is a win in my book. There was less worker turnover in these positions IIRC from what I read, I'm guessing the boss likes that. All kinds of factors to take into consideration so results are still being evaluated. Who knows if this works in other areas as all cities have unique challenges and advantages.

To continue our all McDonalds all the time talk one thing that didn't seem to happen was their restaurants closing down here. You can still get some crappy burger or chicken pieces.

It does seem there's not enough moderately well paying jobs to go around with how we are doing things now. With 60% of people with essentially no savings. Going to be a great place to live when a third of the nation is eating catfood when they are 55 and unemployable.
What happened to hiring? 

Also, big difference between seattle and say dubuque.

And before we get too deep here, I dont take issue with cities passing their own minimum wage hikes. My city is much smaller, but I have seen mass turnover of city government due to one project getting approved. I think like 7 aldermen and the mayor all lost their jobs. Typically if something is really bad at that the city level it is much easier to change. 

I do take issue with a federal minimum wage of 20 bucks an hour. 

What happened to hiring? 

Also, big difference between seattle and say dubuque.

And before we get too deep here, I dont take issue with cities passing their own minimum wage hikes. My city is much smaller, but I have seen mass turnover of city government due to one project getting approved. I think like 7 aldermen and the mayor all lost their jobs. Typically if something is really bad at that the city level it is much easier to change. 

I do take issue with a federal minimum wage of 20 bucks an hour. 
I don't know what happened to hiring. Seattle unemployment is like 2.5 % though.

Dubuque isn't Seattle but a house there isn't 850k either.

20$ an hour Federally (i'm guessing this lady is talking over the course of years getting there) is probably too high, there's no way it passes anyway. I don't really know what this woman is proposing but what it does is get the topic of what is a working wage to the front of the discussion. Really important issue.

I don't know what happened to hiring. Seattle unemployment is like 2.5 % though.

20$ an hour Federally (i'm guessing this lady is talking over the course of years getting there) is probably too high, there's no way it passes anyway. I don't really know what this woman is proposing but what it does is get the topic of what is a working wage to the front of the discussion. Really important issue.
I think you’ve hit on the reason. Get republicans in certain districts on the record voting against and bring more poors back in the dem fold. 

I dont understand the bold. I brought up dubuque because COL is much lower. Wages are also much lower. 

The wage increase in seattle was not actually that big of an increase. It would be much bigger in dubuque. 

I think you’ve hit on the reason. Get republicans in certain districts on the record voting against and bring more poors back in the dem fold. 
Baloney. They arent doing this to start a discussion. They are doing to promise more free stuff to court the people that would get the free stuff. 

I dont understand the bold. I brought up dubuque because COL is much lower. Wages are also much lower. 

The wage increase in seattle was not actually that big of an increase. It would be much bigger in dubuque. 
Seattle min wage was required to be raised from $9 to $15. That's significant.

Stealthycat said:
They clearly didn't think about how the cost of goods will affect people on budgets.  Rents will go up and now we're pushing the cost of living burden on people with fixed income not making minimum wage. 

Or of course they bump up SS dollars, because what could go wrong there???

Reading this I get the feeling that wealth cannot be created by the stroke of a legislative pen, but instead must come from work, from production, from investment, from innovation.  Obviously the good congresswoman disagrees.

They clearly didn't think about how the cost of goods will affect people on budgets.  Rents will go up and now we're pushing the cost of living burden on people with fixed income not making minimum wage. 

Or of course they bump up SS dollars, because what could go wrong there???
if nobody rents those higher cost apartments, the prices will fall. an apartment building cannot exist when it has nothing rented can it ?

fixed income people get hurt the WORST with min wage increases

Now put him in a $700 apartment and have him use public transportation.
You do realize that in most places a 700 dollar a month apartment is that cheap for a reason that is usually not good and that America sucks at public transportation.  I had to use public transportation here in Charlotte. To make it work I had to spend 90 minutes commuting in both directions. And that's if the buses were running on time which is hardly a given. So your glib solution isn't really all that great.

if nobody rents those higher cost apartments, the prices will fall. an apartment building cannot exist when it has nothing rented can it ?

fixed income people get hurt the WORST with min wage increases
If all that is available is higher cost apartments what else will they rent? Will they live in the streets? Because around here, and by around here I mean within an hour of the city, any place worth living in is not cheap. I know because I just spent 2 months looking and going out that far.

If all that is available is higher cost apartments what else will they rent? Will they live in the streets? Because around here, and by around here I mean within an hour of the city, any place worth living in is not cheap. I know because I just spent 2 months looking and going out that far.
don't live there - move

its the USA, you can go where you want, live and work where you want, am I right ?

again .. market drives costs in almost every situation and corrections happen all the time in free market do they not ?

You do realize that in most places a 700 dollar a month apartment is that cheap for a reason that is usually not good and that America sucks at public transportation.  I had to use public transportation here in Charlotte. To make it work I had to spend 90 minutes commuting in both directions. And that's if the buses were running on time which is hardly a given. So your glib solution isn't really all that great.
But someone has to fill that 700 dollar apartment. If everyone's wages double, the same person is now going to be filling the 1400 dollar apartment.

You are probably correct..I worked in an Italian Restaurant and it was not conveyor belts.  2 big pizza ovens upper and lower.  At times on a busy Friday night I would have 12 pies going at one time to monitor. Busy all night with dine in, carry out and delivery. Rotating, poking crust, burning my forearms when I touched the oven, I loved it.  The time flew by.
you should try to get a spot on the US pizza team.  http://uspizzateam.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great idea. I'm sure everyone will live within their means and not spend 75% of their income on a better car and nicer apartment.

Users who are viewing this thread