What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tom Brady plays the disrespect card (1 Viewer)

djcolts

Footballguy
Tom Brady: "I think we've been probably disrespected more than any team in the league this year."
I mean - seriously? Especially saying this the week before playing against a team that ACTUALLY can claim this mantle?

I wouldn't say they've been disrespected, but I would contend they've been flying under the radar and not a lot of folks have been talking about how well they were playing prior to tanking Week 17. The Colts going for the unbeaten record was dominating the discussion for the most part. The Patriots have quietly been getting their act together and may very well be the most dangerous team in the AFC playoffs right now.

with no disrespect intended to Jax - it'll be interesting to see the Patriots go to either Invesco or the RCA dome (or both) later in the next few weeks

I wouldn't say they've been disrespected, but I would contend they've been flying under the radar and not a lot of folks have been talking about how well they were playing prior to tanking Week 17. The Colts going for the unbeaten record was dominating the discussion for the most part. The Patriots have quietly been getting their act together and may very well be the most dangerous team in the AFC playoffs right now.
:no: ESPN has been talking about the Pats a ton in the last 5 weeks in a very positive light. Edit: My other point is that if he felt absolutely compelled to say this - why didn't he wait until the played the Colts to say this instead of the Jags - who HAVE been disrepected by the media if any AFC team has.

Last edited by a moderator:
People certainly didn't act like they were a 10-5 division winning repeating two time Superbowl Champion, at least not until they started to get healthy at the end of the year. There are still people on this board saying that the Patriots are the team most AFC playoff contenders would prefer to face.

I think he means that by week 5 most people had counted the Pats out as non-contenders this year. They've been resurected, and now they are getting some respect, but he's right on the season as a whole.

Cry me a gd river. The Pats were hobbled by injuries early, lost some games while Indy was white hot. People rightfully mentioned around week 8 -- Hey, the Pats are 4 and 4. This doesn't look likt the Pats team that has been steamrolling the NFL for the past couple years. Now the Pats seem to be hitting stride, and once again everyone is saying to watch out for them. Maybe Brady should go back to that skank Tara Reid, at least then he'd have something to occupy his time other than sitting around thinking up stupid things to say to the media.edit : me inglish gud

People certainly didn't act like they were a 10-5 division winning repeating two time Superbowl Champion, at least not until they started to get healthy at the end of the year. There are still people on this board saying that the Patriots are the team most AFC playoff contenders would prefer to face.
When the Pats gave up 40+ points at home twice - how much respect did they deserve at that time? When the Pats played better at the end of the year, most of the media broke their ankles getting back on the bandwagon. That's not disrespect - that's the way the national media works.

:no: ESPN has been talking about the Pats a ton in the last 5 weeks in a very positive light. Edit: My other point is that if he felt absolutely compelled to say this - why didn't he wait until the played the Colts to say this instead of the Jags - who HAVE been disrepected by the media if any AFC team has.
I agree that ESPN has been talking about them recently. Brady agrees, too, which you would see if you watched/read the whole interview. I also agree that the Jaguars have been disrespected recently. But they kind of limped into the playoffs with a backup QB, and they're facing a tough team in the first round on the road in cold weather, so it's hard to get excited about their chances. By the way, I wouldn't be amazed to see them pull off an upset. The Jaguars are a very good, well coached team that plays a playoff style of football. But there are good reasons that they are also the biggest underdogs in the NFL this weekend.

with no disrespect intended to Jax - it'll be interesting to see the Patriots go to either Invesco or the RCA dome (or both) later in the next few weeks
I think only one, and it's Denver next week. I think Pitt wins in Cinci, and wins big, doing what they do, running the football. I also think NE wins. Then NE wins in Denver, and Pitt wins in INdi. Why do I think Pitt can bean Indi? Because I believe their ground game can keep Manning off the field enough. And, Indi will be stale, very stale, headed into the game.

By the way, I wouldn't be amazed to see them pull off an upset. The Jaguars are a very good, well coached team that plays a playoff style of football. But there are good reasons that they are also the biggest underdogs in the NFL this weekend.
the Pats are going to blow the doors off the Jaguars, I'd be suprised if it was even close at halftime.

Why do I think Pitt can bean Indi? Because I believe their ground game can keep Manning off the field enough. And, Indi will be stale, very stale, headed into the game.
From your fingertips to god's ears.Although, I really gotta say, If the Steelers have to play the Pats in yet another AFCGC there's a very good chance I won't be around the next day.

/hara-kiri

By the way, I wouldn't be amazed to see them pull off an upset.  The Jaguars are a very good, well coached team that plays a playoff style of football.  But there are good reasons that they are also the biggest underdogs in the NFL this weekend.
the Pats are going to blow the doors off the Jaguars, I'd be suprised if it was even close at halftime.
I said before I'd be shocked if the Jags win - especially with their QB issues and their key defensive injuries. So, I'm with the very large majority here...

I tend to agree with Brady. The Pats were written off, were only a playoff team because of the AFC East, and people revelled in the team having "died" weeks ago--dragging their lifeless corpses into the streets and burning them. Basically, ding dong, the witch was dead.With the team playing much better and somewhat weathering the storm of injuries, the Pats are much closer to where they normally are this time of year(compared to the team that was horrible early in the year).They may not win, but as 2-time defending champions they have been beaten up by football fans and the media alike.

I tend to agree with Brady. The Pats were written off, were only a playoff team because of the AFC East, and people revelled in the team having "died" weeks ago--dragging their lifeless corpses into the streets and burning them. Basically, ding dong, the witch was dead.

With the team playing much better and somewhat weathering the storm of injuries, the Pats are much closer to where they normally are this time of year(compared to the team that was horrible early in the year).

They may not win, but as 2-time defending champions they have been beaten up by football fans and the media alike.
I guess we have different ideas about what "disrespect" means. By the dictionary definition, I know what it means, but usually in NFL context it means that people have unfairly derided them as being worse than they are, or are not recognizing what they are able to do. When the pats were 4-4, all of that criticism was warranted IMO. Now that they're back on track, people are (rightfully) realizing that they have a shot at 4 rings in 5 years. Now, if the Pats had started off the season and 7-1 and people were saying the same thing, I'd understand the gripe.

I tend to agree with Brady. The Pats were written off, were only a playoff team because of the AFC East, and people revelled in the team having "died" weeks ago--dragging their lifeless corpses into the streets and burning them. Basically, ding dong, the witch was dead.

With the team playing much better and somewhat weathering the storm of injuries, the Pats are much closer to where they normally are this time of year(compared to the team that was horrible early in the year).

They may not win, but as 2-time defending champions they have been beaten up by football fans and the media alike.
10 Sun, Nov 13 at Miami W 23-16 -4 5-4 Brady 275 Evans 84 Branch 82

11 Sun, Nov 20 New Orleans W 24-17 -8 6-4 Brady 222 Evans 74 Watson 66

12 Sun, Nov 27 at Kansas City L 16-26 16 6-5 Brady 248 Pass 26 Dwight 76

13 Sun, Dec 4 NY Jets W 16-3 -10 7-5 Brady 271 Dillon 65 Brown 64

14 Sun, Dec 11 at Buffalo W 35-7 -5 8-5 Brady 329 Dillon 102 Branch 83

15 Sat, Dec 17 Tampa Bay W 28-0 -6 9-5 Brady 258 Dillon 48 Givens 137

16 Mon, Dec 26 at NY Jets W 31-21 -8 10-5 Brady 185 Dillon 77 Branch 69

17 Sun, Jan 1 Miami L 26-28 -7 10-6 Cassel 168 Pass 26 Davis 47
Here's their 2nd half schedule this year. They really didn't play very well until the Dec 11th Buffalo game - so I don't see how the football press/media can be blamed for thinking that the Pats weren't nearly as good as previous years until that game and the TB game. That isn't disrespect - that is giving their opinions based on what they saw on the field.

All the criticism of the Patriots was when they were losing games, and not looking good doing it.Now, if you ask pretty much anyone in the national media they'll put the Patriots' chances #2 or #3, with only the Colts and possibly Seahawks ahead of them.

I'm not saying that I necessarily disagree with that assessment; I'm just saying that I'm not sure how that's disrespecting them now, considering they finished 10-6 and will have to win at least 1 road game (likely 2) to get to the Super Bowl.

I'm not sure I understand.Should the media and fans heap praise on a 4-4 team that hasn't look good and isn't healthy?

I realize that the Patriots didn't have all their horses, but considering they have to win an extra playoff game -- probably on the road -- it's possible that they'll lose a playmaker in the playoffs, too.

And there are going to be people on this board who actually say they'd prefer to face the Colts (for whatever reason), and stuff like that. They don't represent a national voice, and it's not a legitimate reason to play the disrespect card.

I really don't care what the national media or fans think about the Pats feeling "disrespected".Whenever they've played that card in their own locker room, they've been successful. If it's a motivating tool to kick donkey in the playoffs, so be it.

I think what Brady is saying is that many people were pouring salt on open wounds all year and *SOME* people are still thinking of the Pats as a team that doesn't even deserve to be in the playoffs.When they were 4-4 and not playing well, I saw some places projecting them to be under .500 (hoping?) on the season and were downright giddy at the rapid destruction of the Patriots empire.I was reading in the papers that some of the Jags (particularly Jimmy Smith) have been saying that they will be the ones doing the punishing and will walk away the clear victors this week, and maybe then the JAGS will get some respect. I don't have the exact quotes or articles here, but they really were insinuating that the Jags felt that the Pats didn't really deserve much respect for anything they did this year.I suppose all of this is relative and anyone can feel that their team was dissed. Luckily, they settle things on the field and not in the press.

All the more reason Brady deserves the MVP. Not only has he led his team to the postseason, he fires 'em up for it as well. Tom Brady = true team leader.

God I hope the Colts get to play the Pats. Hell, beating them is 2nd best to winning the whole thing. I really enjoyed the look on the loverboy look alike dude when the Colts spanked his butt. I long for that look again.

If disrespect = The entire sports media sucking the Patriots' collective ####s for the past month and a half, then yes, they have been getting disrespected.

I think what Brady is saying is that many people were pouring salt on open wounds all year and *SOME* people are still thinking of the Pats as a team that doesn't even deserve to be in the playoffs.
Which is exactly what they would be if they were in any other AFC division.

the only way to shut his whiny piehole is to eliminate the Pats. Until that is done, he will continue with this drivel.

I think we saw this season what Brady is like when his team isn't winning all of the time. He pouted like a little ##### after the Colts whipped them and now he is saying this crapola. It is easy to be the 'golden boy' when your team is winning Super Bowls, but a few losses and he acts like someone took his pacifier away. I cannot wait to see the Patriots lose in the playoffs.

I think we saw this season what Brady is like when his team isn't winning all of the time. He pouted like a little ##### after the Colts whipped them and now he is saying this crapola. It is easy to be the 'golden boy' when your team is winning Super Bowls, but a few losses and he acts like someone took his pacifier away. I cannot wait to see the Patriots lose in the playoffs.
Brady has always taken responsibility for his team's losses, although there have only been 20 in five years, so they may be hard for you to remember. Regardless, I'd rather have him looking pissed after a loss, then snapping off six wins in the next seven games, than have him take Manning's hangdog "I'll never beat them" look during a game.

After five years of the "we don't get any respect" thing, I think people know that's not true anymore and are sick of hearing about it. He's probably just doing it to motivate his team but even they can't believe it at this point.

God I hope the Colts get to play the Pats. Hell, beating them is 2nd best to winning the whole thing. I really enjoyed the look on the loverboy look alike dude when the Colts spanked his butt. I long for that look again.
:goodposting: I'm just wondering if crybaby Brady will refuse to answer the media's questions again after another loss to the Colts.

This is just part of the us against the world mentality that the Pats have cultivated over the last few years. Nothing to see here, move along.

Hmm, well they weren't actually 10-5 until after they started to get healthy, right? As they went from 4-4 to 10-5, I think they progressively gained more respect. Does anyone deny this besides the Patriots themselves, who are simply trying to dredge up some motivation? And isn't this totally logical? When they were 4-4 and ravaged by injury, how much respect did they truly deserve?

Well, I guess I'll be the first to post:

:link:
No respect?
"I think we've been probably disrespected more than any team in the league this year," Brady said. "I think we've been given up on by a lot of media people, a lot of fans, our own fans, other people around the league, and I think if there's one team that feels like they're disrespected it's us."

Brady even found some support for his claim of disrespect in the Jaguars locker room, where safety Deon Grant said Tuesday, "I definitely agree."

"Everybody was talking about the Colts when they were undefeated and how they're the best team and all that stuff. You can't say a team is the best team until they (win) a Super Bowl," Grant said. "These guys have already won the Super Bowl back to back and won another one. They haven't gotten any respect. They showed it. They made a run at the end to get in the postseason."
:shrug: I dunno. When most media think the back-to-back champs aren't making it out of the second round, you might call that a bit of disrespect.

When most media think the back-to-back champs aren't making it out of the second round, you might call that a bit of disrespect.
That's exactly the thing ... never before in history can I remember a 10-6 #4 seed being the consensus #3, and possibly #2, threat to the title. Yet that's exactly what the Patriots are right now in the national media.I think there's a real disconnect here between reality and your perception. It might be subconsciously selective memory -- I know that I've had some of that too in the past and even this year with Denver.

I don't want to be too harsh here, but I simply can't see how you can possibly feel that the Patriots are seen by the national media as anything other than a huge contender for the title.

I don't want to be too harsh here, but I simply can't see how you can possibly feel that the Patriots are seen by the national media as anything other than a huge contender for the title.
that won't make it past the 2nd round :boxing:

I dunno.  When most media think the back-to-back champs aren't making it out of the second round, you might call that a bit of disrespect.
There's a difference between a bit of disrespect and being the most disrespected team in the NFL. How can the Pats be the most disrespected team in the NFL when they aren't even the most disrespected team in their upcoming WC matchup? I assume the Jags ARE an NFL team? What could possibly be more of a sign of disrespect than two teams apparently trying to lose their final games to try to play them in the opening game of the playoffs?

I believe his comments were made in response to the Jax players trying to take the "we're disrespected underdogs that nobody believes have a chance" card.I thought it was pretty stupid for Brady to say that. OTOH, I do agree that while the Pats struggled a lot early, few took into account the difficulty of their first half schedule, combined with the injuries. Their second half sched. was easier, plus guys were coming back from injury. Tailor made to put the team into a more favorable light.And didn't this take place a few days ago? Why is it news today?

I believe his comments were made in response to the Jax players trying to take the "we're disrespected underdogs that nobody believes have a chance" card.

I thought it was pretty stupid for Brady to say that. OTOH, I do agree that while the Pats struggled a lot early, few took into account the difficulty of their first half schedule, combined with the injuries. Their second half sched. was easier, plus guys were coming back from injury. Tailor made to put the team into a more favorable light.

And didn't this take place a few days ago? Why is it news today?
I saw this in ESPN's Daily Quickie today. This was also "debated" by the Two Stooges on Cold Pizza this morning.

I think what Brady is saying is that many people were pouring salt on open wounds all year and *SOME* people are still thinking of the Pats as a team that doesn't even deserve to be in the playoffs.
you are disrespecting them....Brady is right.

you are disrespecting them....Brady is right.
Damn skippy I am. They will not make it to the AFC Championship. The fact that they won the last 2 SB's has nothing to do with it either.

I like Brady, but he gets more and more whiny every day. I still remember when he got all pissy about Schottenheimer basically reiterating that they had lost a lot of players to injury and were trying to play through it. He said it out of respect and Brady gets all up in arms about it like he is being personally attacked or something. The Patriots get a ton of respect. Considering they are play the Jags who get absolutely no respect I can't see his angle. It's beginning to appear that he has a chip on his shoulder.

I see the Pats hatefest is in full swing this time of year yet again. My lord I'm a Steelers fan who has had his team eliminated fromt he playoffs 2 of the last 3 years to the Pats and I'm not een half as bitter as most of you guys. :lmao: Yes, the Pats have been disrespected this year and everyone was LOVING it when they were down. Is it to the degree that Brady is making it out to be? No, but this is how he is going to motivate the rest of the NE team. Other teams do it ALL THE TIME.

I like Brady, but he gets more and more whiny every day. I still remember when he got all pissy about Schottenheimer basically reiterating that they had lost a lot of players to injury and were trying to play through it. He said it out of respect and Brady gets all up in arms about it like he is being personally attacked or something.

The Patriots get a ton of respect. Considering they are play the Jags who get absolutely no respect I can't see his angle. It's beginning to appear that he has a chip on his shoulder.
I completely agree with this. The Jags have 4 losses this year, 2 to Indy, 1 to Denver and one to SL. Three of those losses are to what may be the two best teams in the NFL, and the third was a close game that they lost on the road to a sporadic team. Some of the teams that Jacksonville beat....Cincy, Pitt and Seattle and of course a whole host of bad teams. I am not a Jacksonville fan, but if you want to talk about disrespect they are the ones being disrespected. Most people expect the Pats to trounce them and the only reason anyone thinks that the Pats will lose in the second round is because they will have to play one of the two best teams at their home field. Tom is definitely just being whiny here.

People certainly didn't act like they were a 10-5 division winning repeating two time Superbowl Champion, at least not until they started to get healthy at the end of the year.  There are still people on this board saying that the Patriots are the team most AFC playoff contenders would prefer to face.
Hmm, well they weren't actually 10-5 until after they started to get healthy, right? As they went from 4-4 to 10-5, I think they progressively gained more respect. Does anyone deny this besides the Patriots themselves, who are simply trying to dredge up some motivation? And isn't this totally logical? When they were 4-4 and ravaged by injury, how much respect did they truly deserve?
They were the repeating Superbowl champions completing the toughest first half schedule of any team in football while coping with a lot of injuries. I'm not saying they deserved respect for their accomplishments to date, but a lot of people had written the Patriots off. I'm not complaining about disrespect, and I don't think it was a good idea for Brady to say this right now, but I can understand why the back-to-back champs would think that that was disrespectful, especially since they backed it up by going 6-1 the rest of the season.

Similarly, I think a lot of people disrespected Tiger Woods when he - gasp - didn't win a major. It's like they were so eager for him to lose that they lost sight of how well he was doing, and how fortunate we are to watch an athlete of his caliber.

People certainly didn't act like they were a 10-5 division winning repeating two time Superbowl Champion, at least not until they started to get healthy at the end of the year.  There are still people on this board saying that the Patriots are the team most AFC playoff contenders would prefer to face.
When the Pats gave up 40+ points at home twice - how much respect did they deserve at that time? When the Pats played better at the end of the year, most of the media broke their ankles getting back on the bandwagon. That's not disrespect - that's the way the national media works.
:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread