What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tom Petty - R.I.P. to one of the greats of Rock Music (1 Viewer)

My favorite non football podcast Coverville has a show from 2007 and one from Wednesday that i listened to this morning. For me, a good indicator of an artist's talent is how well their songs hold up to being sung not just by someone else who can give not just a faithful copy but their own spin on it and it still sounds great.

This live clip of Jammin' Me from a 1999 concert a few of friends attended got passed around this morning.  It's one of those songs I remember listening to a lot of the radio and seeing on MTV when it was first released and a hit, then kinda forgot about it.  I dig this version a lot - doesn't stray from the original much, but speeding up the tempo just a bit highlights the rock elements more, and shows how good the whole band is.  
I listened to Jammin' Me yesterday as I had kind of forgotten about that one.  I then listened to the entire album "I've Had Enough" which wasn't one of his better ones, but still had some hidden gems I'd never heard before.  

Brings back a lot of memories for me driving around in my dad's Chevy Nova.  He loved Tom Petty and would crank this one when it came on the radio.

Take back Vanessa Redgrave
Take back Joe Piscopo
Take back Eddie Murphy
Give 'em all some place to go

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7989072/tom-pettys-music-sales-increase-following-death

Tom Petty's U.S. Music Sales Increase 6,781% Following Death

Following rock legend Tom Petty's death on Monday (Oct. 2), his music experienced huge increases in sales, streams and airplay, as fans mourned the singer-songwriter.

Sales Surge: According to Nielsen Music, based on initial U.S. sales reports for Oct. 2 and 3, Petty’s total music sales grew 6,781 percent, as compared to the two previous days (Sept. 30 and Oct. 1).

News broke early on Oct. 2 that Petty had been rushed to the hospital after being found unconscious in his home. Petty died at 8:40 p.m. on Oct. 2.

On Oct. 2-3, Petty’s catalog of albums and digital songs (including his work with The Heartbreakers, Mudcrutch and supergroup Traveling Wilburys) sold 218,000 combined albums and song downloads -- up from just 3,000 sold in the previous two days.

Individually, on Oct. 2-3, Petty’s album sales numbered 55,000 (versus 1,000 in the two previous days), while his digital song sales totaled 163,000 (versus 2,000).

-- Petty’s top-selling albums following his passing (reflecting sales on Oct. 2 and 3) were his Greatest Hits (32,000), Wildflowers (4,000), Anthology: Through the Years (4,000), Damn the Torpedoes (3,000) and Full Moon Fever (2,000).

-- His top-five-selling songs for that same Oct. 2-3 time frame were: “Free Fallin’” (21,000 downloads), “I Won’t Back Down” (15,000), “Mary Jane’s Last Dance” (12,000), “Learning to Fly” (11,000) and “You Don’t Know How It Feels” (9,000).

Tom Petty by the Numbers: A 'Breakdown' of 40 Years of Hits

“Free Fallin’” became Petty’s third and final top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, reaching No. 7 in 1990. The track also hit No. 1 on the Mainstream Rock Songs airplay chart -- one of Petty’s 10 chart toppers on that list.

All of the above-mentioned albums and songs sold a negligible sales sum in the two days before Petty’s death.

On Oct. 2, Petty’s music garnered 7 million on-demand audio streams in the U.S. -- up 1,149 percent compared to the previous day, when his catalog of tunes logged 562,000 streams.

-- “Free Fallin’” was not only Petty’s biggest-selling song immediately following his passing, but also his most-streamed tune, as the song collected 530,000 streams on Oct. 2. The rest of his top five most streamed tracks that day were: “Learning to Fly” (436,000), “Runnin’ Down a Dream” (391,000), “American Girl” (385,000) and “Mary Jane’s Last Dance” (385,000).

On the Radio: Petty’s music was in heavy rotation on Oct. 2, as news spread about his hospitalization and eventual passing.

His music garnered a 351 percent increase in plays that day, rising to nearly 6,000 spins across all formats of radio (versus a little over 1,000 detections on Oct. 1).

Petty’s most played tracks on Oct. 2 were: “Free Fallin’,” “I Won’t Back Down,” “Runnin’ Down a Dream,” “Refugee” and “Don’t Do Me Like That.”

Top 17 downloads since his death:

01 “Free Fallin'”
    02 “I Won’t Back Down”
   03  “Mary Jane’s Last Dance”
   04 “You Don’t Know How It Feels”
    05 “Learning To Fly”
    06 “American Girl”
    07 “Wildflowers”
    08 “Runnin’ Down A Dream”
    09 “Refugee”
    10 "Don’t Do Me Like That”
   11  “Don’t Come Around Here No More”
   12  “Breakdown”
   13  “Here Comes My Girl
    14 “You Got Lucky”
    15 “Into the Great Wide Open”
    16 “You Wreck Me”
    17 “The Waiting”

Despite my love for him I'm embarrassed to say that I've listened to more Petty in the last few days than the last few years combined.  I won't be making that mistake again.  It's almost like his death has allowed me to re-experience a lot of his music and for sure it's allowed me to introduce his music to my kids.

.Top 17 downloads since his death:

01 “Free Fallin'”
    02 “I Won’t Back Down”
   03  “Mary Jane’s Last Dance”
   04 “You Don’t Know How It Feels”
    05 “Learning To Fly”
    06 “American Girl”
    07 “Wildflowers”
    08 “Runnin’ Down A Dream”
    09 “Refugee”
    10 "Don’t Do Me Like That”
   11  “Don’t Come Around Here No More”
   12  “Breakdown”
   13  “Here Comes My Girl
    14 “You Got Lucky”
    15 “Into the Great Wide Open”
    16 “You Wreck Me”
    17 “The Waiting”
Look at lists like these and you totally get comments like we've had in this thread like "I put on the Petty iHeartRadio station, not a bad song all afternoon".   

Yeah, Id say he had a few hits. lol.

Breakdown
American Girl
I Need To Know
Listen To Her Heart
Dont Do Me Like That
Refugee
Here Comes My Girl
The Waiting
A Woman In Love (Its Not Me)
You Got Lucky
Dont Come Around Here No More
Jammin Me
I Wont Back Down
Runnin Down A Dream,
Free Fallin
Love Is A Long Road
A Face In The Crowd
Yer So Bad
Learning To Fly
Innto The Great Wide Open
Mary Janes Last Dance
You Dont Know How It Feels
You Wreck Me
Its Good To Be King
You Dont Know How It Feels

Highway Companion (2006) had a few good ones, too:

Saving Grace

Flirtin With Time

Big Weekend

Dude, I can hook you up with tons of shows if you want them (at least the audio portion). 

By the way, the first wave of DVD's went out today. 
Do you have the June 22, 2013 Firefly show? A reach I know but I try not to underestimate the FBGs. 

Just listened to my Petty playlist for a bit and then watched a 2 part interview from back in 2007 on the YouTubes. Great interview, I recommend it. I'm gonna download the Runnin Down a Dream documentary to watch alsome time next week.

The gf asked if I want to drive up to Gainesville to visit the 34th street wall memorial this weekend. Of course I said sure. 

http://www.tampabay.com/news/in-gainesville-tom-petty-memorialized-on-34th-street-wall/2339743

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bustin balls. It is a nice tribute. I love seeing the scope of artists covering his songs this week. It really shows how wide his influence was.
 A lot of Petty's songs have that "easy to sing while strumming a guitar and sitting around a campfire" quality to them, and that kind of music is often very accessible on a wide scale.  I went through spells where he would get on my nerves a bit, since his voice came from the Bob Dylan school of fingernails on a chalkboard at times, but over time, I found the flaws in his voice more charming that annoying (while it was the opposite with Dylan, for me). 

I saw him back in 1978 and have seen him in every decade at least once - several great Red Rocks shows, couple shows with Dylan, Jazzfest including recently this last April at Jazzfest. A big rain that day nearly cancelled it and I was at a different stage when he started so I came in after first couple of songs. It was just running a little too slow for my body and brain - and after 4-5  songs I headed off to catch the rest of Maceo Parker thinking there weren't going to be many more chances to catch the great Maceo (he's 74) and that great James Brown horn sound. Since I'd see Tom Petty rather regularly I figured there'd be another shot. Getting harder to play that game these days.

My favorite is Woman in Love - during the early days I got drawn in by Mike Campbell guitar as much as the "star" - he's really one of the underrated greats on guitar. This one with the guitar and the vocals and how it goes quiet-loud is superb stuff. 

Sucks.
saw him at Red Rocks a few years ago.  Great musician & Great venue.  Steve Winwood(Traffic) opened the show at Red Rocks.  also fantastic, by the way.  Here's one for you, Tom.  RIP

Nick Vermeil said:
I would be!  Petty is my wife’s favorite and that was the only time she saw him live, in her home town! Great show. 
I will give you the following option . . .

I can try to  do the best with what I can find (which isn't great sound quality wise working from YouTube videos, probably with some songs missing or incomplete versions of songs). I can try to clean up the sound some, but I would not expect any miracles. I would guess it will still be hard to listen to even after I fix it . . . sound quality probably a 4 or 5 out of 10. Bottom line, to the best of my knowledge, there is no quality recording of the Firefly show. That's OPTION 1.

Or as an alternative, I can take great sounding performances of the same songs on the set list that night (just from other shows) and set things up in the order that they were performed at Firefly . . . giving the illusion that it was the Firefly concert (I may be able to include a couple of the actual songs from Firefly if they end up sounding ok). Sound quality probably 9 or 10 out of 10. That would be OPTION 2.

Personally, I would recommend Option 2, as you will want to listen to it more than once and will want to play the fake show way more frequently than if I give you the actual show (which may end up sounding pretty ragged). This option also is way less labor intensive for me. Up to you . . . let me know.

I will give you the following option . . .

I can try to  do the best with what I can find (which isn't great sound quality wise working from YouTube videos, probably with some songs missing or incomplete versions of songs). I can try to clean up the sound some, but I would not expect any miracles. I would guess it will still be hard to listen to even after I fix it . . . sound quality probably a 4 or 5 out of 10. Bottom line, to the best of my knowledge, there is no quality recording of the Firefly show. That's OPTION 1.

Or as an alternative, I can take great sounding performances of the same songs on the set list that night (just from other shows) and set things up in the order that they were performed at Firefly . . . giving the illusion that it was the Firefly concert (I may be able to include a couple of the actual songs from Firefly if they end up sounding ok). Sound quality probably 9 or 10 out of 10. That would be OPTION 2.

Personally, I would recommend Option 2, as you will want to listen to it more than once and will want to play the fake show way more frequently than if I give you the actual show (which may end up sounding pretty ragged). This option also is way less labor intensive for me. Up to you . . . let me know.
Option two as long as the recordings aren’t from twenty years before the show.  (Look at this guy being choosy!). Want it to be in the same time period as when we saw him. 

Awesome of you to offer!

30 minutes into the 2007 documentary "Runnin Down a Dream"...fantastic so far, and still 3 hours left. If you're a fan and haven't seen it, I can confidently recommend it even though I'm barely into it.

I made a playlist for when I tailgated a few weeks ago at an NC State game, and today I went back on to spotify to add some more songs to that one, and I noticed that my first song on the original playlist from the tailgate was Louisiana Rain Live. I knew it was on there, but i didn't realize I put if first. Makes me happy that I wanted to kick it off with something I loved, and it happened to be by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers.

Option two as long as the recordings aren’t from twenty years before the show.  (Look at this guy being choosy!). Want it to be in the same time period as when we saw him. 

Awesome of you to offer!
All right, Mr. Choosy. I have the best workaround for you. I have the show just prior to the Firefly Show (in Pittsburgh two nights earlier) in both audio and video form. PM me your name and mailing address and I will send it to you.

What a week for Jason Aldean. A week ago, he was getting ready to perform in Las Vegas. A week later, he opens SNL playing a Tom Petty song with A WHOLE BUNCH OF ABSOLUTE CRAZINESS in between.

Users who are viewing this thread